[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's be creative! The freeze status condition is nothing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

Let's be creative!

The freeze status condition is nothing more than an uncontrollable inconvenience in competitive battling, a gimmick in single player at best. There's nothing "fun" or "strategic" about it, and winning thanks to a lucky freeze always leaves a bad taste.
The other status conditions have real purpose, and their respective types are greatly benefiting from their immunities. It's just another point on the already too long list of "missed opportunities" for Pokemon's problem child: the Ice type.

So I thought we could try to redesign the freeze status! I'll start:

1: being frozen doesn't mean you can't move anymore, so it wouldn't be "OP" if it becomes easier to inflict the status (whether by altering the percentages on the existing ice type moves like ice beam and blizzard, or by adding new moves like ice variants of nuzzle and will-o-wisp).

2. Burn and Paralysis have a unique effect (gradual damage/missing one turn) and influence a stat (atk/speed). What could "freezing/being frozen" do? The possibilities are endless.
I'd focus on the "stamina damaging" aspect of coldness. A freeze could half the sp.att stat, since it needs "energy" to generate special moves/magical powers. And the unique effect of a freeze could be an automatic "pressure" effect, meaning you'll use up 2PP while frozen. It stacks up with the pressure ability (you need 3PP then), which could lead to some PP stalling shenanigans (but that needs to be playtested of course).
3. And while we're at it, let's add some interaction with "hail": hail now adds ANOTHER pressure effect on non-ice-types, meaning it is possible for a pokemon to use up 4PP per turn (hail+being frozen+opponent's ability is pressure)! But that would be very situational. Furthermore, while in hail, it is not possible to cure yourself from a freeze by using or being hit by a fire type attack.

What do you think? Too OP? Or would it be a welcome addition to Ice types and hail teams?

What are your ideas?
>>
>>32268912
>winning thanks to a lucky freeze always leaves a bad taste
implying
>>
tl;dr
>>
>>32268919
RNG is not exactly the most fun part of pokemon. Do you like the freeze status as it is?
>>
>>32268912
none of this makes any sense. Freeze being a stand-out very occasional condition is nice becasue it adds a little spice and tension to games whenever you see an ice beam or a blizzard coming, it should just be made in a way that it doesn't equal a 1HKO. Something like
>frozen mons cannot move at all but they gain a "disguise" a la mimikyu (the first hit they receive while frozen deals no damage)
>fire and ice types cannot be frozen
>as soon as a frozen mon gets hit it thaws automatically
>setting up the sun thaws all mons
>water types still receive damage while frozen
>>
>>32268941
to make it short: How'd change the freeze status if you could?
>>
Not gonna read your bullshit, just gonna tell you how to fix:

>Either all freeze chances are raised by 20% (so 30%) when used by Ice types, or the same but when it is hailing
>Have thawing out be like Sleep and be done in 3-5 turns. Maybe have it always be 5 turns when used by Ice types.

Anything that buffs freeze, should buff Ice-type Pokemon in general. Otherwise, you're just buffing a handful of Ice moves for every other type.
>>
>>32268912
How about this:

When a Pokémon becomes Frozen, it cannot move for 1 turn. However, being hit by an Ice type move has a 50% change of increasing the Frozen time by 1 extra turn. That way, Freeze stays almost the same, but the time a Pokémon is Frozen depends on for how long it is subject to critically low temperatures (Ice type moves). Being hit by or using a Fire type move will instantly thaw you, and Fire- and Ice type Pokémon are immune to being Frozen. Hail would increase the chance of Ice type moves adding an extra turn to the counter to 75%.
>>
>>32268961
I think ice types are already immune to it. Other than that, my idea was just a suggestion! I like yours, too. I like the idea that you can decide when to thaw your opponent and when not. So you can set up as long as you want if the opponent doesn't switch out etc. If gives you more control!
>>
>>32268968
freeze halves the damage of fire type moves.
example
a meganium is frozen, flamethrower would do half,
>>
>>32268970
>Have thawing out be like Sleep and be done in 3-5 turns
Sleep only lasts for 1-3 turns. Having Freeze last a whole fucking 3-5 turns would be extremely OP.
>>
>>32268912
gtfo Anon
>>
>>32268970
damn, you're a hostile bunch :D anyway, yes I like your idea that only Ice type pokemon benefit from using the status condition on others!
>>
>>32268994
Sunny weather would also eliminate the chance of adding 1 extra turn to the Freeze counter.
>>
>>32269003
that would make it more like a beneficial status condition, and very situational, no? But it would add a nice touch! Maybe then we should add a new move that inflicts "freeze" on oneself!
>>
>>32269039
i love you you are very nice person :3
>>
Fucking hate the Freeze status. Got hit with in Battle Tree once; didn't thaw out for 8 turns straight. Fucking bullshit.

Make it last 1-3 turns. That's it.
>>
>>32268994
I love it! You could build your whole tactic around keeping your opponent frozen, making way for lots of nice new team combos! And it wouldn't be OP since it's easy to prepare for it!
>>
>>32268912
Just make it like Mystery Dungeon. Increase the chances, also create guaranteed freezing moves, but frozen Pokemon are immune to attacks. Still gives you opportunities to switch or set up.
>>
>>32269047
haha thanks :D then I love you, too! <3
>>
I love gobbling LARGE walrein cock
>>
Is one of you hostile people pretending to be me? :000
>>
>>32269069
That would be a very easy but fundamental change for the better imho! As of now, it's like the "sleep" status but without any form of control over the situation. You're instantly screwed.. or not, It's a gamble.
>>
I always thought it would be a cool idea to make being frozen beneficial to ice types. If an ice type is frozen, all stats are boosted by one. Introduce a Flame orb type item for freezing. Make freezing just "ice type sleep" to any non ice type Pokemon. Just as accurate, lasts just as long. This would give most ice types a chance to be actually competitively useful. Maybe even have it do slight damage each turn to water / Pokemon weak to ice moves.
Freeze orb ice type with a way to give the orb to another Pokemon would be fun.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.