[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>went to all the effort of fully animating all 649 pokémon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: cofagrigus[1].gif (97KB, 122x88px) Image search: [Google]
cofagrigus[1].gif
97KB, 122x88px
>went to all the effort of fully animating all 649 pokémon SOLELY for BW2, when they must've known by then they were going into 3D next gen
>we only got a single pair of games with fully animated sprites.

It fucking hurts. Those sprites were really well done and the way the animation slowed when something was asleep and stuff was cool.
>>
>>32256283
I can guarantee all you will receive as replies will be saying that it looks like shit.

I personally liked them as they added some life to the formerly static images.
>>
>>32256283
I agree & I still don't care for the vast majority of the 3D models. Don't really have anything to add though
>>
>>32256283
>SOLELY for BW2
They were animated for BW too, right?
>>
The sprites looked good but the animations were fucking awful dude, come on. They maybe spent 2 minutes animating each mon.
>>
>>32256296
But they ARE shit. It's Flash puppetry obscured by jaggies. I might as well be spinning a square in front of you.
>>
File: penders.png (106KB, 155x303px) Image search: [Google]
penders.png
106KB, 155x303px
>>32256283
>tfw can't replay older 2D games due to static sprites
>>
>>32256306
Yes. Trainer animations were BW2 only though.
>>
>shitty execution of tween and rotate on a screen too small for it to have particularly good effect in the first place
>>
>>32256322
I still think they're more appealing than the gen 3 and 4 sprites.
>>
>garbage flash tweening.
Sprites were ass. The only problem with models is that Gamefreak is refusing to do better animations.
>>
>>32256345
>went to all the effort of fully animating all 649 pokémon SOLELY for BW2
OP didn't mention trainer animations, did he?
>>
>>32256355
What are you proposing, then? A bunch of cardboard cutouts against a painted background? Well, true, the background we have isn't that impressive, but you know what I mean. And what of the overworld? You can't honestly be suggesting Chrono Cross here.
>>
>>32256384
They could've done actual animation like Dragon Quest has had in some entries
>>
>>32256384
I have no clue what you mean as I have never played Chrono Cross.
And the cardboard cutout thing is actually why I dislike the gen 3 and 4 ones so much. They feel exactly like you describe.
>>
>>32256408
You DO realize not that many developers are willing to do that? The only instances I know of were made for arcade machines and otherwise by indie developers that don't have to adhere to deadlines.

>>32256446
Imagine the characters walking over a picture. That is what Chrono Cross is.
>>
>>32256454
I just googled it and no, that looks bad.
All I meant was that the gen 5 sprites felt a bit more lively and more like creatures due to the movement, compared to the unmoving statues that twitch at the start of combat in 3 and 4. I have no strong opinion on the overworld design.
>>
>>32256496
True, the models don't leave the best impression in their idle animation, but that's the thing. It's an idle animation. It's not supposed to be really doing anything. At least they made an animation that plays if you let the pokemon stand around for a while in Sun and Moon, but I will admit it's still not the most impressive thing and the camera is too spazzy to even let you see them. Are you saying they should always be active? Somehow, I think that would be too problematic for the programming. That wouldn't be so with sprites, you say? Doing all the frames needed for a 2D animation is far more work than that for rigging a 3D model, I assure you. If that is the point to you, I guess I can't argue, but that doesn't make it better to me.

So I looked up Dragon Quest. So having the creatures in a special pose is what interests you? Yes, this could be done with no real loss of anything in pokemon. I can't say I entirely agree with such an approach as it seems more stylistic than practical. As I said, though, it wouldn't really harm anything..
>>
>>32256664
No, I simply think that the sprites of gen 5 were more appealing due to the movement. That's it, no complication.

And I never brought models into the discussion.
But seeing as you think I refer to models, I actually love the models, barring a few. It has been something I was waiting for since the And I'm not the DQ guy.
>>
>Crystal had the best sprite animations period
>Gen 3 and 4 were mediocre 2-frame trash with some effect applied onto them
>Gen 5 was basically GameFreak playing with Mode 7
>Gen 6 and 7 have the models but GameFreak can't be assed to make dynamic animations or ends up completely fucking a Pokemon over, possibly for the rest of eternity assuming they never replace the animations
Hello darkness my old friend.
>>
>>32256693
fucking stupid keyboard, I don't know why it autodeletes text like that if you click back.

I mean "since the gamecube games"
>>
I was trying to figure out what exactly the models aren't doing that people are gushing over the sprites for. I cannot comprehend it.
>>
>>32256771
The reasons I've seen listed are typically color and pose. Some of the sprites had poses people liked better, such as Xatu.

Generally though, I think that the models were a huge improvement, especially for adding detail otherwise invisible in the games, such as Piloswine's eyes.
>>
>>32256707
Remember when a Pokémon used minimize, the sprite shrunk?
>>
File: gen 5 battles.gif (773KB, 403x227px) Image search: [Google]
gen 5 battles.gif
773KB, 403x227px
hehe

I like the animated sprites and all, but pic related will never not remind me of them
>>
File: 1483652841292.jpg (60KB, 195x293px) Image search: [Google]
1483652841292.jpg
60KB, 195x293px
>>32256796
>Transform retained the user's color palette in Gen 2
>>
>>32256794
Well, I never entirely agreed with their color choices, either. The flying pokemon can be better in a lot of cases. In fact, a sitting pose does exist, but it's only used for Amie/Refresh, so I don't get it. I suppose they were originally pushing for their Sky battle thing and were too lazy to make it dynamic to fit the situation. And then were too lazy to change it for Sun/Moon.

I guess I can agree with that part, but that doesn't mean they ALL need to be changed.
>>
>>32256849
Yes, I agree as well, I was just listing the most common complaints.
A few crappy posed models out of hundreds of good ones is not a big deal. Plus it lets me see stuff like dancing Hitmontop, which is great.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.