/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Damn, what's happened to Pokemon battle music these past

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

File: 1457544819065.png (57KB, 240x200px) Image search: [Google]
1457544819065.png
57KB, 240x200px
Damn, what's happened to Pokemon battle music these past few years? I think the only battle theme since gen 5 to actually get me pumped to duke it out was the Alola champion theme. The rest were pretty lackluster and chill, not really getting me pumped for an incredible fight. No oomph, no nothing. Y'all notice that too?
>>
Yea. Gen 5 is the pinnacle of battle themes. The Sun and Moon soundtrack is okay though. At least a lot better than X and Y's, but literally every other Pokemon soundtrack is so that's not really saying much.
>>
>>32251532
The town themes in Sun and Moon were absolutely stellar, probably my favorite group of town themes in the whole franchise, but it falls short of the rest in every other department.
>>
>>32251508
I don't know anon. Some of my absolute favorite battle music comes from SM, the latest entry. Skull themes, Kahuna theme, and especially so for Gladion theme, which I think is the best in series after Red's GSC theme.
>>
>>32251508
No, since the only music i like from Gen V are the legendaries battle themes, Ghetsis and Humilau City.

Kahuna music alone is superior to all those.
>>
>>32251508
The battle themes in SM are more experimental.
Like the Skull themes etc.
Also as a more or less music composer i think that the themes are more complex than the past ones. (The five generation is closer but with the distosioned quality of the Ds audio chip the compositions seem more complex than they are).
You can dislike the new styles (i think that is probably because the amount strange melodies and less generic themes, the people love the Pop for something), but compositions like the Lusamine's theme (the two), Gladion, Tapu's battle theme, Kukui (this is one of the less repetitive theme in all the franchise thanks to the more variations), the fucking UBs theme(this glorious bass) and the League theme etc this generation put the franchise over Xenoblade Chronicles (for me one of the best quality games in this departament of the whole game world).
Also the overworld themes are pure gold in therms of quality and effort put in it.
>>
Sun and Moon doesn't necessarily have the best soundtrack of them all, but when a track is good, it's really fucking good.

>Lusamine
>Poni Wilds
>Malie City
>Guzma encounter and battle themes

I think it's better than Gen 6 musically, which had great route and town themes but fairly underwhelming battle themes with a couple of exceptions. I actually hate the Alola Champ theme, it's super generic to me.
>>
>>32251654
>I actually hate the Alola Champ theme, it's super generic to me.
Seems generic for you because is the first theme that we heard thanks to the trailers.
I think that is the better champ theme only behind the 4th one.
>>
I miss individual trainer encounter themes.
>>
>>32251673

I barely remember it from the trailers. I just wasn't fond of it at all.
>>
>>32251654
I'll agree and disagree with you on the Champion theme. I think it's great. I love it. Yes, it's generic, but I honestly don't care. Generic or not, it's great. So I disagree on that part. What I will agree on is it being disappointing. I love the theme, but not as a Champion battle theme. The final battle of the main game should have a more blood pumping theme rather than a nice, please theme.
>>
File: 1489806844136.png (767KB, 1750x2500px) Image search: [Google]
1489806844136.png
767KB, 1750x2500px
The totem theme in Sun and Moon is bangin
>>
>people actually unironically like gen 5's themes

Man, there's no easier way to spot an Unovabortion. Gen 5 was the lowest point for Pokemon's music, and that's just a fact. I don't know why so many gen 5 themes had that hideous grinding noise in them.
>>
>>32251532
>Gen 5 is the pinnacle of battle themes
This is the worst taste in history
Only the wild battle theme in BW is solid, others are extremely meh.
>>
oh come on, say this shit isn't good, I dare you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37riOeCnnpQ
>>
>>32251896
or these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4qdUsfuhh0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKr616BOslU
>>
>>32251890
in my opinion, the only BW music I like is the main legendary battle theme. Besides that, I could give a shit less (Even though my friend loves the shit out of BW while I'm practically more for XY)
>>
>>32251890
>>32251884
>>32251910
This. It says a lot when they never mention one of the best themes of that gen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrnRrSpTz20
>>
>>32251884
This. I was recently listening to some gen 5 music on YT and man it's so generic and forgettable. I literally didn't remember what BW rival music sounded like until I fired it up on YT yesterday. The loops are also way too short and surf music doesn't even sound like surf music.
>>
>>32251992
humilau makes me moist
>>
File: feels_gud.jpg (14KB, 408x545px) Image search: [Google]
feels_gud.jpg
14KB, 408x545px
>Gym leader theme from g/s/c
>>
>>32251884
The only music in Gen 5 I really enjoyed are these:
>BW Route 10
>BW Ghetsis
>Entralink
>B2W2 Champion theme
>Lostlorn Forest
>Undella Town in any season other than Summer
The rest were either good but not really memorable, just as bland as Gen 6 because of the weak ass instruments, or just plain ugly. Corless' theme is overhyped to hell and back.
>>
I think the main problem with the music from Gen 6 onwards is that it's just not memorable. Also, Alola is really lacking in Route and Encounter themes.
>>
>>32251532
Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of great music in gen 5. However, I didn't find their battle music to be one of them. What gen 5 did great in was music for their setting. Tracks like this is the music I like about gen5. Gen 7 did battle music a little bit better.
https://youtu.be/7GTlTtnbnhY
>>
>>32252172
Alola has some good music, especially the town themes, and the route themes are ok despite some of them being kind of forgettable.
Kalos suffers from an incredibly irritating wild encounter theme and having a lot of "celebration" or "run around" styled music in areas like the Friend Safari.
>>
>>32252399
Shota Kageyama made the work of Go Ichinose (the god of the Pokémon music with Junichi Masuda) in XY thanks god that he returns in Alola and a new composer (i don't remember his/her name) who have a bright future in the franchise also made a lot of SM themes with same complexity and instrumentalization like Go Ichinose.
>>
>>32251896
It's not. I have no idea how someone had this fill their ears and go, Yup! Hell yeah! Slap that fucker in as the big bad cover legendary theme! You could argue that the little fucker was your good pal Nebby the whole time so that's why it doesn't really get you pumped, but still. This is a beast of legend, it should get a better theme. Take a moment to listen to Giratina's theme. THIS is what legendary battle music should be. It gets you really pumped for an incredible fight at the absolute climax of the game. It shouldn't be a mess that would be barely passable for an indie game, let alone one of the most hyped games of 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy4WUVI7Lrw

>>32251906
Ultra Beast music isn't that bad, but it would be more suitable for character encounter music than a battle theme. It does have that tone of mystery though, I'll give it that.

Same goes for the Tapu theme. The beginning is incredible, and does get you pumped for a good fight, but it kind of falls off to more of a theme you'd hear during a tense in-game moment, not a battle.
>>
>>32251508
Kageyama left.
>>
>>32254607
>It shouldn't be a mess that would be barely passable for an indie game
yet yours is
insert le thinking man
>>
File: ohhhh yeah a fuckin kiss pal.png (81KB, 324x328px) Image search: [Google]
ohhhh yeah a fuckin kiss pal.png
81KB, 324x328px
>>32254647
Yeah you're right, comparing the S/M legendary theme to indie game music is an insult to all indie game kind.
>>
>>32254670
i meant le edgelord deviantart OC ghost theme
also isn't one of the indie game selling points the music and atmosphere anyways
>>
>>32254730
I know what you meant, I was fucking with you. Honestly, how can you think the S/M legendary theme was fitting for a fucking LEGENDARY? Seriously, give me reasons, c'mon, chop chop, fork em over, I'm genuinely curious.

>also isn't one of the indie game selling points the music and atmosphere anyways
yeah but there are a lot of shitty ones out there too lol no denying that
>>
>>32254814
>how can you think the S/M legendary theme was fitting for a fucking LEGENDARY?
it's not some overall leggo theme and I don't see the problem myself, it gets better later on
music taste is subjective, who knew kek

and yes, there definitely are shitty indie games
>>
>>32254846
>music taste is subjective, who knew kek

That's groovy man, I can respect that. I'm just used to Pokemon legendary themes being exciting than just the same beat being repeated with hardly any variation. Yeah, all themes do that to some extent, but at least we don't have to wait so long for there to be variations.
>>
>>32252045
I do like the main legendary battle theme, but Ghetsis is good too (especially the remix)

besides that, XY and SuMo are my preferred picks (even ORAS is better desu)
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.