[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /vp/, ive been wondering what happened to Yokai Watch aka

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (56KB, 374x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56KB, 374x480px
Hey /vp/, ive been wondering what happened to Yokai Watch aka Pokemon's biggest rival in Japan. Is it still as popular as Pokemon over there? Or did it fade into obscurity?
>>
What the fuck is a Yokai Watch? Is that like a Pokemon Go knockoff or something?
>>
>>32164385
It experienced a significant drop in sales compared to the first and second games, and a small drop in fan media production rate, but the series is still alive and relatively healthy. Less people compare it to Pokemon as far as I see though.
>>
Pretty sure the anime ratings are much worse than SM and the games sold like shit foreign so it's almost dead
>>
Dead everywhere but Japan, it's doing pretty alright over there
>>
>>32164385
Just played the first games. Went in with little to no expectations whatsoever, was pleasantly surprised.
>>
>>32164446
It's doing "alright", but the popularity dropped so fast even mainstream media took note of it.
>>
>>32164425
>>32164473
Pokemon survived that though.
>>
>>32164502
Level-5 has already said they're going to retire YW in favor of Snack World.
>>
Yw 3 based in murica was a mistake
>>
>>32164540
Snack World?
>>
>>32164553
Making OC youkai was a mistake.
>>
>>32164385
>aka Pokemon's biggest rival in Japan
>he fell for the yokai watch will kill pokemon meme
>>
>>32164558
http://www.snack-world.jp/
>>
pokémon is like harry potter

yokai watch is like eragon

franchise with a legacy that won't die vs. flash in the pan
>>
>people really expected tap: the game to outdo a game with actual gameplay mechanics/variety
uhhhhhh
>>
>>32164687
Looks kind of fun
>>
>>32164721
The real problem's that Level 5 expected YW to become popular worldwide just because it was a hit in Japan, completly ignoring said country is a huge fag for their own historical/cultural pandering (AKA what all of the Yokais are based of).

Still, it's seems to be picking some steam. IIRC YW2 is currently selling like 10K per week for some reason.
>>
>>32164752
It took them years to even consider the idea of releasing it outside Japan, so I don't think they outright EXPECTED it.

Snack World, on the other hand, is clearly meant to have international appeal, and already has English language promo shit.
>>
>>32164721
You literally just pick a Move or item in pokemon and press A
>>
>>32164540
[Citation needed]

No, really, I seriously want to know.
>>
>>32164790
Yeah, you pick the right moves instead of just watching.
>>
>>32164799
Google it.
>>
>>32164799
They DID mention they wanted it become a massive success, though I'm not sure if they meant worldwide too, considering Level-5 franchises are usually hit or miss outside it's home country.

The fact that 'till now I've no idea what the game's even about is telling me they're not doing good job promoting it.
>>
>>32164828
We didn't really know what Yokai Watch was about ahead of time either beyond the rough setting and theme.
>>
>>32164828
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYAveFNuVVc

It's already being marketed for the west.
>>
>>32164815
God, you just reminded me how annoying the battle system is. How can someone find fun a full-RNG based game? The attacks, the recruitment, the altered status. Everything but the special attacks is out of your control.
>>
Yokai Watch is like Digimon, but with pokemon names without ending the word "mon".
>>
>>32164828
Level 5 doesn't create games, they create multimedia franchises. They're trying to sell you on the concept and the characters, with shit like gameplay being an afterthought.
>>
>>32164385
The 'get a load of this' guy is dead, so I assume the series is finally dead too.
Good riddance
>>
>>32164854
Nowadays people find comfort in the "I had no control over this" excuse. They can give into addiction and when something bad happens it is okay because there was nothing they could've done.
>>
File: cries.gif (3MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
cries.gif
3MB, 400x225px
>>32164849
I'm genuinely hyped for this now.
>>
They chose it as a mascot for the olympic games 2020, it beat Pokémon in that regard.
>>
>>32164385
I'm currently living in Japan and a Pokémon game on sale is still more expensive than a game of this franchise
>>
>>32165343
Don't blame them. Pikachu is really bland at this point. Cute and a good battler, but that's it.
>>
>>32165343
The only one I don't recognise is the last one
>>
>>32165503

PreCure
>>
Sharp decline from YW2 craze, still somewhat prominent
>>
>>32164880
The difference being before YW the games were actually fun too
>>
I was in Nagoya between Oct 4-Dec 15 last year. I saw more yokai stuff than Pokémon. It looks like they just slap on yokai on anything from cereal boxes to... anything really. Yokai looks forced as fuck out there. I played the first yokai game, beat it, didn't really like it.
>>
>>32167407
See >>32164880
This is how Level 5 operates in general. Pokemon was made to be a video game, Yokai watch was meant to be this all-encompassing beast.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.