[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

4Kids gave Pokemon so much more fucking love than TPCi ever could.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

File: 40879-2.jpg (123KB, 800x531px) Image search: [Google]
40879-2.jpg
123KB, 800x531px
4Kids gave Pokemon so much more fucking love than TPCi ever could.

Maybe it was just because I was a kid, but I loved the character songs, like Brock's "Two Perfect Girls" and Team Rocket's "Double Trouble." That wasn't normally a thing in America with kids' music but 4Kids did it and they were fucking great.

Why doesn't TPCi give the series that kind of love in America anymore?
>>
Times have changed
>>
File: sadgongs.jpg (9KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
sadgongs.jpg
9KB, 480x360px
>>32091752
>remembering "Double Trouble (Team Rocket)"
it hurts
>>
4kids actually gave a shit about most of what they did, even if they were often idiots and horrifically misguided
>>
>>32091765
"WOULD YOU TWO STOP YAPPIN'! HERE DEY COME!"

I'm surprised 4Kids never tried doing a drama CD with the series like Japan did. I think it would've sold, at least at the time.
>>
>>32091765
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btlF9Iq1KJU

>This was the first time we heard Giovanni's voice in America

He still seemed like a mysterious big boss to me. We hadn't seen him in the anime yet in America.
>>
>>32091771
They sorta-kinda did with the Pokemon Christmas album. It's a music album first and foremost, but most of it's done in-character and there's a lot of character stopping to talk to each other mid-song. It also had this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72yOgH5ngVE
>>
>>32091777
We heard Giovanni's voice in St Anne episode. That was literally the very first episode that ever played in America. He was in the VHS preview tape, too.
>>
>>32091789
By then Pokemon was starting to burn out, though. Gold and Silver's peak had already hit and was going down.

>>32091794
I never had the VHS tape and didn't start watching the anime until UPN started airing it. My bad.
>>
My main problem with 4kids is their need to "Americanize" certain things. Especially food. Rice balls? Kids in america won't get that better call them jelly doughnuts. Ramen noodles? Kids won't know what those are, better have may call it chicken noodle soup! Rice ball shown on screen? Let's just make it a sandwich,
I'm also not found of how names get changed between the Japanese and English versions, but that i can forgive since they're changed in the games as well so it makes sense for 4kids to use misty instead of kasumi.
>>
>>32091820
The food thing only came up like once every 50 episodes. Hell, 4kids called them rice balls more often than they didn't.
>>
JENNY, OH JENNY
JOY, OH JOY
>>
Did we ever find out if the TPCi rule of "The dub can say whatever you want, as long as it matches what's happening onscreen" is true?
>>
>>32091846
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNQeBdrFbek

A ONE-WOMAN MAN'S WHAT I WANNA BE
>>
If TPCi released 2BA Master today, would it have the same charm as 4Kids gave it?

I mean, let's pretend they cared enough.
>>
>>32091894
I mean, considering how terribly TPCi's script writing is in their Pokemon dub and how like 95% of TR's lines are made into gibberish along with Ash's slang exist, it probably is.

>>32091840
True, 4Kids did get the rice balls correct a few times, so I could excuse the donuts/sandwich stuff.

4Kids was def. better than TPCi at dubbing the Series, even though I'm still bitter over Legend of Thunder & M01-02's dubs.
>>
>>32091894
TPCI does have the resources and money to turn out good dubs. They did it with Origins and Generations, both for an older audience, which were almost completely done with LA talent. Either contractual obligations or Animation Age Ghetto - i.e. "it's for kids so it doesn't matter if it's shit" - is at play here.

I just hope that contractual obligations don't force them to use their usual gang of NYC assclowns for the 20th movie dub.
>>
>>32091918
>I just hope that contractual obligations don't force them to use their usual gang of NYC assclowns for the 20th movie dub.

This makes me sad. Part of me wants to think they'd give Veronica Taylor a call.

I mean, they won't, and it's probably not going to cross anyone's minds there, but it would just be so, so great if they did.

They could make this movie the ultimate "Thanks for your love" deal for the older fans in America if they did the dubbing right. They won't.

I still can't figure out why Ash's hat symbol is wrong.
>>
>>32091912
No, TPCi are absolute shit when it comes to music, so it'd be a wreck if they did 2BA Master:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6ZilYjAHlk
>>
>>32091918
I thought Generations was a pretty shitty dub from TPCi, actually, writing and acting were both very weak. Origins, I agree with, and I'm sure TPCi will use their assclowns since TAJ & now DuArt to butcher Movie 20's dub.
>>
>>32091929
Eh, I'm okay with that. It's nowhere near as bad as the Diamond & Pearl gangsta rap or their TERRIBLE, fucking offensive attempt to bring back Gotta Catch 'em all with XY's dub.

They don't even play the whole fucking original length of the song ...
>>
>>32091926
I mean, IF they don't, it's probably due to contract. Like I said, Origins and Generations show that when TPCi wants a good dub, they can get it. This movie is very much for older fans, so they'd get quality if they could, but it's sadly likely that Natochenny and pals will be forced in and churn out an absolute shit dub that disgraces both the Japanese version AND the OS, and get all defensive and passive-aggressive when people criticize them over it.
>>
>>32091943
>and get all defensive and passive-aggressive when people criticize them over it.

Do they really?

Are we talking like "Nu-Powerpuff Girls team on Twitter" passive-aggressive?
>>
>>32091936
The voice acting was decent and bearable, from the three shorts that I saw (Uprising, King Returns, Redemption). There was a lot of LA talent in there rather than the usual assclowns, such as Cherami Leigh, Mela Lee, Grant George and Patrick Seitz.
>>
>>32091942
It's a pretty shitty dub intro, though- Sun and Moon's dub is already starting out just as bad as XY(Z)'s dub intro did.

I do agree the DP Rap and XY Remix are total shit, though, don't get me wrong.

>>32091943
I still think the Generations dub is a bad dub from TPCi, but Origins dub shows if they gave the slightest shit when it comes to vocal direction and writing, they'd be a lot more tolerable.

As for the Movie 20 dub, yeah, it's going to be a trainwreck, I agree with you wholeheartedly there.
>>
>>32091947
Not familiar with the PPG crew, but we've already seen how assholeish the current dub crew can get over previous criticisms.
>>
>>32091957
I haven't, unfortunately, and now you have me really fucking curious. I'm surprised they're allowed to act that way online.
>>
>>32091951
You didn't see the Kanto-Sinnoh Generations shorts, buddy, they really had their usual shitty voice acting in it, and it was the LA talent no less- proves TPCi has a major issue with vocal direction, not just on the NYC side either.

Generations dub got more bearable from Unova-Kalos, namely Seitz's Ghetsis puts Bill Rogers' to shame (though I believe Rogers to be a crap VA so I hate that he gets roles in LA now), but the voice acting in those first 12 episodes was pretty pathetic.

Writing was also poorly done in the Generations dub, lot of weird stuff like "I'll smash your ice into a million pieces" or when Archie (also voiced terribly by the same man who voiced Giovanni well in Origins, Jamieson Price) talks about having the Blue Orb and then dumps in the ocean like a tard.
>>
So is the new movie just going to have Ash time traveling or some shit, and that's why his hat symbol hasn't changed?

Surely it's not just an animation error.
>>
>>32091972
Well, okay. Replace "Generations" in my previous posts with "the Unova-Kalos episodes of Generations" then. It's not out of the question that the dubbing improved with time.
>>
>>32091967
Basically:

- Michele Knotz (nu-Jessie/May/Misty) threw a bitch fit in this video asking if May would return to Pokemon acting like she's the victim by CuteMimi25 on YouTube.

- James Cathcart (nu-James/Meowth/Oak) also threw a bitch fit on a Meowth/Purrloin video from the BW dub on YouTube where he said "Oh no, it's that terrible Meowth voice, the shame!" because he knows people hate TPCi Meowth's dub take (Cathcart would also spread lies about the 4Kids' casts replacement as old guard truthseeker on Serebii Forums).

- Bill Rogers helped troll on Serebii lying about the replacement circumstances + throwing a bitch fit when his Corphish was criticized and Bonsly in the "King and Queen for a Day" episode review thread on Serebii

- Tom Wayland was a literal rapist who admitted smugly to fans he didn't give a single damn how bad the TPCi dub got as long as it got good enough ratings.

Also, nu-Ash, Sarah Natochenny, does legit smoke in real life, so when people say TPCi Ash sounds like a smoker, it's pretty legit.

>>32091957
No arguments there: the TAJ/DuArt crew behaves very unprofessionally online.
>>
>>32091982
That, I can agree with, buddy- no doubt.
>>
File: knotzbeingacunt.jpg (11KB, 585x105px) Image search: [Google]
knotzbeingacunt.jpg
11KB, 585x105px
>>32092022
Video on Knotz being a cunt link, my bad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_8_QtLtN0k
>>
>>32092022
>A voice actor
>smokes
Did Dot Warner's VA going to shit not teach people ANYTHING?

Besides the Wayland thing being downright assholish, the rest of it seems like shit teenagers would do.

Why did she bitch about an older character? Did the person asking imply the original VA?

"That terrible Meowth voice!" was he joking, or making a comment to a comment made in the video? I need a little more context on that one.

The fact that they would go on a childrens' forum and lie about their jokes just seems pathetic.
>>
>>32092035
>Not to be a pain in the boo-tay, but we're not free to do as we wish. We're directed by directors. So whether I sounded too young or too old, I went with a voice after listening to the original over and over again until I could match it as best I could, but the director was the one who told me to go younger or older, higher or lower. It's a misconception that a lot of fans have with anime specifically. Voice Actors are not free to make their own choices. ;)

So "it's not my fault my voice isn't good?"
>>
>>32092045
- Apparently not.

- TPCi's cast sadly have that maturity level (or rather, immaturity), unfortunately.

- All he asked was "Would you rather Veronica Taylor voice her or Michele Knotz," guy said Veronica & didn't say anything bad about Michele, cunt Knotz still raged in the comments section anyway 'cuz she wanted to.

- He was being sarcastic in the comments section, though it has nothing on Cathcart saying his writing (he's the one who has been writing the shitty TPCi dub script since Battle Frontier, for context) is "funnier than the Japanese Version" and "The new James (him) is better than both of them (older voices), and this will be proven in time" while sockpuppeting.

It really is.
>>
>>32092073
I don't want it FUNNIER THAN THE JAPANESE VERSION, I want THE JAPANESE VERSION TRANSLATED INTO ENGLISH.

Isn't that what we all want, or am I wrong?
>>
>>32092087
That's what we all want, yes. Cathcart is just a retard, really: when even 4Kids did a better job adapting the script than TPCi did (thanks to him), you know you fucking suck.
>>
>>32092087
>>32092096
I can just see it happening.
>The TAJ/DuArt crew dubs M20 with no changes to their usual shitty style
>Fans complain
>Cathcart: "It's your fault for not liking something that's better than what you grew up with!"
>>
>>32092073
I would understand her saying "Thanks for saying I suck!" if the creator outright called her out, but it seemed like she just wanted the attention.

You should check out her profile, it's fucking pathetic. A few videos from stuff she's voiced and a discuss page full of fan questions she'll never, ever, ever see or respond to.
>>
>>32091929
Eh, it least it fits the tone the season is going for
>>
>>32092113
I assume that the Japanese version of the movie will at least have some dialogue from the first episode. If they do, I expect that to be replaced with the dialogue from the first 4Kids episode.

WORD FOR FUCKING WORD.

If they add that "I hear ya!" or "Truth is," shit, I'm turning it off.
>>
>>32092069
Actually, a lot of voice directors make really bad decisions that shouldn't be blamed on the voice actor.
>>
>>32092254
Well yes, but doesn't excuse Knotz's unprofessional behavior on the video nonetheless.

>>32092118
Goldfarb pls- it's a lazily shat together OP, you know it, we all know it.
>>
>>32091752
If 4kids never dubbed One Piece they wouldn't have been so bad. One Piece just shamed theme with the violence, the importance of story, death, and other themes. It was way too much for them.
>>
>>32092295
Pretty much- outside of Sonic and One Piece being shitty dubs, I just thought 4Kids were like pretty much every other dubber of the time (i.e. Saban, DiC, Nelvana, 1999 FUNi).

But as far as Pokemon goes, 4Kids treated the dub with a lot more respect than their other properties often got: they kept more of the OST intact in the Anime dub, shorts, and we're approaching the point where it may even be true for the Movies, than TPCi ended up keeping (I'm serious), the script was actually more faithfully translated under their wing (particularly the Team Rocket Trio), and their intros were much better composed & longer than TPCi's were (fact).

P.S. And 4Kids' voice acting for Yu-Gi-Oh still wasn't as bad as the Odex dub's was, either, that's something else 4Kids did alright with outside of Pokemon when it comes to Anime dubs.
>>
File: 1484259525962.png (379KB, 438x423px) Image search: [Google]
1484259525962.png
379KB, 438x423px
>>32092282
I never said I like the OP (I don't like either language), but this season is /comfy/, and the OP seems /comfy/ (it's shit /comfy/, but /comfey/ nonetheless).

Now XYZ? That's where the music got totally raped. The badass IKU ZE got replaced with some half-assed country rock shit.
>>
always nice to live in a country that gets the localized localisation of anything

>low quality english dub - who cares. just copy that style

all that garbage, just because america got crap companies for that
>>
>>32092339
That's okay, but you should know TPCi are still raping the actual OST in the SM dub just like they did for XY(Z)'s dub, it's some wannabee Batman stuff for the episode starting theme & rest is typical elevator music TPCi made up with DuArt.

Basically, TPCi's dub is still shit, in other words.

>>32092342
We pretty much get fucked over by Soccer Moms here.
>>
>>32091771
I think someone asked once, and the response was that drama CDs just don't sell in America. You never get them for anything else either, really.
>>
>>32091942
That rap is the only pokemon song I've cringed at.
>>
>>32093827
>and the response was that drama CDs just don't sell in America.
Has anyone TRIED?

I don't remember a single drama CD for anything coming out in America. Ever.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.