[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Zelda went open world for the first time since Zelda 1 >Mario

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 6

File: 1488653974643.png (567KB, 654x568px) Image search: [Google]
1488653974643.png
567KB, 654x568px
>Zelda went open world for the first time since Zelda 1
>Mario going back to open world like SM64

Is it time for Pokemon to go open world?
>>
Yes. And the Pokedex should be handled like the Pokemon Snap type mechanic in the game. And you should have to use Pokemon to pass obstacles in the overworld. Combat should also be real time like Zelda.
>>
>>31996176
Hell GF can just steal the way Zelda does cataloging with the camera and it would be perfect
>>
>>31996199
I love the thought of sneaking around rocks trying to get a good picture of a rare Pokemon.
>>
>>31996159
>mfw pokemon goes 90s RPG and gets a world map
>>
>>31996159
neither of those work like pokemon, they're not JRPGs with levels and such
>>
>>31996159
Pokémon is open world

It's just GameFreak isn't that advanced of a company to be able to pull off the large scale open worlds you see in most modern games. That's why we still have loading screens for battles and black screens when you try to go to a city off a route and vice versa
>>
GF is like a decade or more behind everyone. Their games sell like 10x as much as like a xenoblade, per game, and xenoblade is still more impressive than anything GF will likely do in the upcoming generation.
>>
>>31996176
>combat should also be real-time
So you want a spin-off? Sure, but don't expect any effort at all.
>>
No, it doesn't have to be open world, it just has to be open ended and have many optional maps without a restrictive, prominent narrative.

So like Johto.
>>
Pokemon go already exists
>>
>>31996159
>64
>Open world
I heard that Odyssey isn't going to be open world, either. Like some kind of cross between that and hub styled.
>>
>>31996548
>Saying that when MD exist
And don't start to say ''LE OVERATED'' or ''LE FURRIES'', Because, Those arguments doesn't work on smart people
>>
File: 250px-Orre.png (90KB, 250x188px)
250px-Orre.png
90KB, 250x188px
>>31996159
>Pokemon comes to the Switch
>HD graphics and a larger map to explore
>no story restrictions on where you cam go and what you can do
>the one trade off? The overworld is handled like the Gamecube games with no connecting routes and a hub map
>>
>>31996539
Tbf monolith soft is one of the best companies in gaming right now
>>
>>31996622
Do you expect them to put that much effort into a full-fledged console title? They've even made the MD games worse as-of-date, if Super was as bad as people say. I don't think they'll even make one this gen.

C/XD might be ok in some opinions as well, but they also weren't profitable.

GF won't do it, or if they did, it wouldn't have a lot of effort put into it. Like I said.
>>
>>31996719
not op but
>Do you expect them to put that much effort into a full-fledged console title?
yes
>They've even made the MD games worse as-of-date
wrong
>if Super was as bad as people say
You haven't even played super, get the fuck outta here.
>>
>>31996745
So you genuinely believe, with PBR being the last home console game, that they'd want to put more effort into a spinoff than a main series game? That seems highly illogical to me.
>>
>>31996159
Please explain your "SM64 is more open world than OoT or WW" line of reasoning because I am baffled as to how that works.
>>
Pokemon is the best. Sales are better than ever. No need for change
>>
>>31996793
they could, with a spinoff they aren't limited by the structure that the main games need to have, thus giving them more freedom for creativity, plus since they wouldn't be on a underpowered handheld they could try thing that they can't in the 3ds.
>>
>>31996539
Xenoblade was pretty good but the combat was garbo and dragged a 9/10, possibly even a 10/10, to a 7/10
>>
>>31996882
I don't know what people mean when they say this, the combat of xenoblade and especially xenoblade x flat out shit on most jRPGs
>>
>>31996796
He's... not saying that. He IS saying Odyssey is the first open-world MARIO game since 64, but he's not comparing it to Zelda games.
>>
>>31996159
Pokémon isn't developed nor receives instructions from Nintendo itself.
I highly doubt GF will do any of the sorts, at least for now.
>>
They could do open world and still have turn-based encounter battles. I think it's just too plot-focused now and that isn't what made Pokemon great. Gen 1 was somewhat open-ended in that once you get into the middle of Kanto, you can take several badges in any order you choose. The whole "Team Rocket must be stopped" was more a series of quests that needed to be completed. The last few games were more like a hallway that you had to run without any deviation or exploration (I haven't played Gen V to be fair). Gen VII is the worst example.

I think they should try having a central city like Gen VI, but allow you to go for a couple different gyms to start. Stopping Team Whatever should be a thing you pursue from time to time but not feel like your main goal; the whole "save the world" thing is overplayed, Gen I and II were more like "go be a hero and stop a bad thing from hurting a lot of Pokemon/people" like the radio tower or different dumb shit that Team Rocket was up to. There should be fun side quests that are totally optional with rewards like good Pokemon or TMs. Certain quests or fighting Team Badguys can reward ride Pokemon or other things that unlock a group of new areas at once, giving you access to a new group of gyms and cities; you could also lock them so that you need x number of badges to pass, regardless of which badges they are.

They have no reason to do this because people will always buy Pokemon games, but I bet if they played their cards right they could recapture the older player market that only played Gen I/II. Make the bad guys Team Rocket, make the game big and pretty, put it on the Nintendo Switch. Add long-lost and loved features like Pokemon Snap and Stadium. Snap pictures could be side quests for exciting rewards, two player same-system battles with your own or rental teams would have folks pull it out at parties and get their friends excited and hooked again. That would sell millions of Switches and harvest millennial money.
>>
>>31996159
How would you do an open world pokemon game?
>Gyms can be done in any order, scale to your level
>HMs are linked to number of badges and aren't required to go anywhere important to the main story but instead allow you to go exploring further
>Alternatively hms are hidden behind side quests or exploration
>Each area has a baseline level but increases to more closely match yours if you surpass it
>Wild areas like the dungeons from PMD that change layout and available species every time you visit them (for example an overgrown forest grown by a celebi that changes to suit the celebi's mood or whim)
>>
I actually think they might do it next gen.

My friend who can read Japanese translated negative Amazon JP reviews for SM and the nip overlords seem pissed about the linearity. That, GF's tendency to overreact to certain common complaints ie. Hoenn's water, scrubs not able to deal with Talonflame etc., along with the recent success of Breath of the Wild may inspire them to look into attempting open world.

It'll probably fall for the usual open world pitfalls and spend too much time trying to target genwunners even further since normies let the open world meme start in the first place.
>>
>>31996897
Even if you use different standards of "open world" for the two series, there's no way SM64 is more open world than Sunshine. Calling 64 open-world at all seems like a real stretch. It's only as open as being in 3D would require.
>>
>>31997041
You're missing the point and making yourself look retarded, please stop.
>>
>>31997041
You could choose from several pictureworlds which each had 6+1 stars in them, and entering certain doors had a certain number of stars required. Bowser could be battled after a certain number of stars to unlock a whole new floor. That's exactly the sort of system Pokemon could use, with gym badges instead of stars.

Cram several regions in it so you have 16 or 24 badges available, use the Elite Four for each region like the Bowser battles. Fuck it, revisit Kanto and Johto, people would buy the shit out of that.
>>
>>31996176
So not Pokemon at all then?
>>
Has it not always been open world?
>>
When will we get the Persona to Pokemon's SMT?
>>
>>31997894
No. The progression, story, overworld, and even the order you can collect Pokemon is all linear. You have to follow the set path given to you by Game Freak and there's no room to deviate.
>>
>>31996159
Yes, mainly because I'm sick of getting cool mons only at the end of the goddamn game. Let me choose where to go first, within reason.
>>
>>31996622
>MD
Mystery Dungeon? That's not "real time" combat, it's entirely turn based. There's just a grid movement element, which also takes turns.
>>
>>31997920
>Pokemon game with stands and Waifus
I'd buy a switch for that.
>>
>The open world meme

It's ruined so many fucking games, I'll fucking commit suicide if it touches pokemon
>>
>>31996159
Game Freak has been doing the exact opposite.
Pokemon is more linear than ever.

That being said, I would fucking love it, but they'd have to let go of a several of the tropes they like so much for it to work well.

I don't see Game Freak ever being competent enough to do it well. Maybe if it
>>
>>31996993
They will fuck it up.
Game Freak is a pretty terrible developer. They don't have the skills or resources to make a good open-world game.
>>
>>31998381
Because you're thinking of the grocery list model where the open world is wasted on menial tasks strewn about randomly, instead of the carefully designed linear experience. All open world means for Pokemon is doing gyms in any order you want, and maybe story progression changing in response but probably terminating at the same point. Each piece of content would still be pretty much the same as now.
>>
>>31996697
just kill me now
>>
>>31996159

No cause gamefreak is incapable of it.
>>
>>31996159
Gen 1 was open world.
SM64 was not open world.
>>
>>31998428
next pokemon game will be a dungeon crawler
>>
>>31998497
except that would totally fuck any semblance of difficulty curve unless you gate off areas hard, and at that point why even bother with the open world meme
>>
>>31999924
>difficulty
>in Pokémon
lmao
>>
>>31998350
I think he meant that MD, or at least the gen 3 and 4 ones, clearly have a lot effort put into it, unlike most of the other spinoff titles.
>>
>>31996890
I don't think it's horrible at all. The mmo style "click on buttons and watch an animation without having to worry about aiming or whatnot" feels a bit lacking, but the game does have a lot of cool and unique combat mechanics that make up for that imo, most notably the future prediction mechanic.
>>
>>31996975
Scaling levels is the only way to make a, pokémon open world, and honestly I don't like the idea at all.
My biggest complaint about Skyrim is that level scaling makes progression dull.
>>
>>31996176
what would stall in real time be like
>>
File: v2_p8-01.jpg (25KB, 640x350px)
v2_p8-01.jpg
25KB, 640x350px
>>31996176
Did you know Pokepark™? It's a 3D graphics game open world with real time battles, puzzles and obstacles where you search pokémon, talk to them, battle against them etc. Also has minigames, training and friendlist (like a pokedex) etc
>>
>>32001784
Toxic as the first move and then spam recover or protect, just like now. The major difference would be that you get to see your opponents suffering,slowly losing health until they die in real time, which would make the stallfags much more happy
>>
>>31996159
>Pokemon to GO
>POKEMON GO
> It's open world
>>
>>31997091
You could do that in Sunshine, too. I think anon is just upset he skipped over Sunshine like it wasn't there.
>>
File: 1423895213318.jpg (8KB, 212x249px)
1423895213318.jpg
8KB, 212x249px
>>32001951
>tfw still no Pokepark 3
>>
>>31996506
I think what OP means is that he'd like a less linear pokemon world.
think of it like final fantasy meets BOTW. standard encounters and battles would follow the same rules as they always have been but the overworld would let you go ANYWHERE right off the bat to challenge any gym/kahuna/whatever in any order you want.
>>
>>31996176
>And you should have to use Pokemon to pass obstacles in the overworld.

Isn't that already what Gen VII (and the Ranger games) did?
>>
>>31996159
A lot of the shit BoTW did that Pokemon ought to be doing lies more in the realm of referencing all games in its history instead of favoring just one and lightly brushing on the others.

Open world probably wouldn't be a bad idea if they go back to the Gym system but make it so PokeRide can still be used or some HM/PokeRide hybrid system that leave you with a full team, no moveslots wasted.

NPCs say interesting things but the problem is that their expressions are flat and the camera is fixed so you don't see them emoting or expressing so much. BoTW does have its share of generic looking Hylians to pad out the number of people in the game but for the most part before that Zelda NPCs are usually hard to forget if not in name then definitely in face. GameFreak should take advantage of the extra polygon power in either Switch or 3DS' possible successor to work on making faces emote rather than painting faces on polygons. They've tested that out with Hau and Lusamine, so we know they're considering it but it would be nice if ALL NPCs did that. Despite what many might say, Sun and Moon does show they're on the right path for how to handle 3D graphics in terms of expressions, they're just a bit unbalanced for the moment.

I wouldn't mind an open world Pokemon game, but I think they should also work on making the Pokemon world more engaging than just restructuring the same formula but with cutscenes.
>>
>>31996176
The camera feature should be more fleshed out like the BotW camera. The camera in Sun and Moon was pretty shit, but it holds promise if they make it more interesting instead of a useless grindfest that serves no real purpose.
>>
>>32001974
It's not the same
>>
>>31996159
Who the fuck considers Mario 64 an Open World?
>>
>>31996890
battles are tideous as hell and feel annoyng
>>
>>31996697
>Improved graphics
>switch
Not when the Wii U still outperforms the switch in their only AAA launch title
>>
>>32005652
i-is that shirtless link in cargo shorts and barefoot?

where can I see more?
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.