[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do people really feel that new Pokémon are the primary selling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: oranguru.png (261KB, 600x356px) Image search: [Google]
oranguru.png
261KB, 600x356px
Do people really feel that new Pokémon are the primary selling point of a new game?
>>
>>31819072
Yes and no.
It's not the primary selling point, but it's huge factor, others being the region itself, any new additions/tweaks from previous game etc.
Unless of course its a remake.
>>
>>31819072
Well, duh. What else would be the main selling point? The story? The linear region?
>>
>>31819072

If it's a new gen: Yes

If it's a remake: No

People buy new gens for new Pokemon and features, and remakes for nostalgia
>>
Because you can use them to advertise the game without giving any of the plot away.
>>
>>31819110
New features and stuff to do with the Pokémon you already have.

Things like the Pokéathlon and the White Treehollow.
>>
File: golisopod official art.png (167KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
golisopod official art.png
167KB, 500x500px
>>31819072
For me it is, or at least a major one. Singleplayer story is where most of my enjoyment comes from, and new pokemon (especially low encounter rate, rare ones) are fun to hunt and catch, and then use on a team.
It's also the reason I usually stick with the newest games because I usually have a favorite new pokemon in every gen for my top 10. Battle facilities do not interest me usually because there is no real unique pokemon reward at the end and they don't interest me at all (including the worthless frontier medals and battle tree stamps/maison statues), except for the Black Tower and White Treehollow, which I did enjoy because I got to fight a final boss and get a fancy shiny Gible.

So yes, the pokemon, especially the new ones, are a huge selling point for me.
>>
>>31819251
Do you just leave your favourites behind when there's a new game instead of transferring them?
>>
>>31819277
not him, but I usually try to see how I can fit some of the newer mons into existing teams for newer gens, same with older mons that get new moves in first games of a gen and remakes

tfw don't have to wait for tutors for high IV breloom with drain punch or focus punch
>>
>>31819277
Yes, certain pokemon I do leave behind for the few times I return.
My Rosa still has her Serperior and half her party.
My Calem still has his Greninja and his whole party, plus part of Rosa's (Gigalith and Volcarona)
My May still has her Swampert and Shedinja, plus 3 shiny legit Genesect and a chainfished shiny Milotic.

It's nice for the little amount of times I go back to see them still with the original trainers. I almost always transfer shinies and legendaries though, with some exceptions like a shiny Registeel and a normal Arceus.

I will eventually transfer them one day (probably if bank shuts down the transporter and warns me), but for now they will chill at home.
>>
>>31819360
You seem to like your Pokémon. Don't you want to collect ribbons for them?
>>
File: serperior8.png (220KB, 800x950px) Image search: [Google]
serperior8.png
220KB, 800x950px
>>31819360
>leaving your bros and sisses behind
fuck you, I have brought my serperior that I used in online all the way back in gen 5 to every new gen (forgot to get gen 6 ribbons on her before sending to gen 7 though)
>>
>>31819386
>leaving your bros behind

But anon, I have to. Ethan can't go in the Bank.
>>
>>31819382
Ribbons? I suppose I like them, but the only ribbons I really love are the normal "weekday" ribbons in ORAS.
>>31819386
I love my female Serperior as well. However, it just doesn't feel right to take her away from her original trainer that raised her from a mere Snivy. My general policy is not to transfer starters because of this.
>>
>>31819449
>the only ribbons I really love are the normal "weekday" ribbons in ORAS
But you get those ribbons for free. They don't represent any kind of accomplishment or memorable feat.

It's not like a champion ribbon where you can look back at when you conquered the league with your Pokémon pal or use it as proof that your Pokémon has been to a certain region.
>>
>>31819478
I prefer to have them as the native champion of their region. I like to think of it as them passing the torch to another. It would feel wrong to have more than one, which is why I avoided clearing the E4 to grind in Kalos with my shiny Milotic after it cleared the Hoenn league.
>>
>>31819072
The pokemon are the only enjoyment that came out off XY and SM otherwise i wouldn't even have bothered playing them
>>
>>31819072
For me at least, yes. There has not been fundamental gameplay improvements since DP.
>>
>>31819072
Man I just buy the new game when it comes out.

If a new one is going to suck, then I'll have first-hand experience of how much it sucks. That's what it means to be a die-hard fan.
>>
I mostly buy new games to experience the world and characters. Even if the presentation is dry, Game Freak is pretty great at designing interesting places that make my mind go wild thinking about the intricate details and implications.

Battle facilities bore me to tears.
>>
For me it is. I play pokemon mostly to catch and battle. I'm not all the interested in the single player beyond potential waifus.
>>
>>31819876
Does there need to be? Don't you care about auxiliary features?
>>
>>31819072
XY outsold BW, but had less than half the amount of new pokemon. I think it all comes down to how much genwun and Lucario pandering is in it.
>>
>>31822083
Because rampant piracy had nothing to due with it right?
>>
>>31819128
I can assure you literally no one bought HGSS for the Pokethlon.
White's low sales speak for themselves.
>>
>>31822144

no it doesnt, because if that was true, SM would have sold like dogshit, and it already sold more than XY in not even 1/4th of the time period.
>>
>>31819072
New Pokemon are the main reason I buy the new games. After BW, which was amazing with 156 new mons, SM and XY were pretty meh. 100 new mons should be the minimum for a new gen.
>>
>>31822975
This
>>
>>31819072
Marketing is. That's why XY and SM has sold so well, it's not because they are better than all the previous games, but because they had proper international marketing.
>>
>>31828425
I barely remember the marketing for XY, but SM's marketing was damn good. The jap commercials with the two kids and the commercial with the edited scenes and badass music still gets me hyped even though I know the games aren't that good.
>>
>>31819251
/thread
>>
Of course. One of the biggest reasons these two past gens have been such a disappointment.
>>
>>31822646
Pirating on the 3DS isn't as easy as buying a 40$ flash card or running an emulator.

Also, BW had translations before the game even came in the west.
>>
>>31819072
Its what interests me the most at least. Then the characters and region.

But it clearly isnt, otherwise pokemon would sell more each gen.
>>
>>31819128
So minor garbage? Yeah no.
>>
>>31829084
Some casual filled Jap focus group probably complained about how they're getting hard to remember and that they should just stick to Lucario, Charizard and Greninja.
>>
>>31829091
Those are pretty major things to me. Compared to them, new Pokémon are just a side bonus.
>>
>>31829106
I hate that argument. If you play a gen once you'll passivelly learn about 80% of the names if not more. Legends, starters and events are marketed a bit more so you'll always know them. And this doesnt even require being active in the fanbase, just giving a minimum shit about pokemon.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.