[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the "canonical" starter for each generation,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: download (5).jpg (14KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download (5).jpg
14KB, 225x225px
What's the "canonical" starter for each generation, the one that got the most focus, attention, etc? Not the one you like the best, but the one you think was put in the forefront most often. I think Gen 1 was far and away Charizard, Gen 4 was Infernape and Gen 6 was Greninja, but I'm not sure about the others.
>>
Why are people so autistic about starters?
>>
>>31797800
pikachu is the canon starter for all generations, didn't the ashnime tell you this for years on end?
>>
Gen 1 was Pikachu.
>>
>>31797800
There's no such thing as a canon starter because none of the protags will ever appear again, barring Red.
>>
I dunno. Gen 2, 3, and 5 seem pretty ambiguous, and it's a little too early for gen 7 to establish theirs, if they even will.
>>
>>31797821
>>31797816
canonical may have been the wrong word, I just mean which is the most iconic for each generation. Obviously Pikachu is incredibly iconic, but it's just barely a starter, and Charizard is pretty clearly second anyway.

>>31797826
Yeah, I'm not sure. Maybe Blaziken for gen 3, but the other two seem like total crapshoots.
>>
>Gen 1
Charizard
>Gen 2
shakily Typhlosion
>Gen 3
probably Sceptile, but Blaziken is arguable
>Gen 4
Infernape
>Gen V
Arguable. I think that since Serperior was the most popular overall it would be the "canon" one, but Oshawott is pretty popular in japan. Additionally, gf kind of ignores gen V, so we don't really have a lot to go on for it.
>Gen 6
Greninja
>Gen 7
Decidueye due to popularity, but Incineroar might be the one they start pushing. It just depends.
>>
>>31797856
I do wonder if they do push Incineroar it'll become more popular, or GF switches gears for Decidueye for normie sake.

I like both a lot so I win either way.
>>
>>31797813
Because they're integral to the franchise and because of that, everyone talks about them and brings in their collective autism.
>>
>>31797908
Plus, one of the few real choices the players have to make.
>>
>Gen I
Charizard
>Gen II
Typhlosion
>Gen III
Blaziken
>Gen IV
Infernape
>Gen V
Serperior I guess? Gen V was really swept under the rug.
>Gen VI
Greninja
>Gen VII
Decidueye
>>
>Gen 1
Since all other incarnations of Red are based on Pokemon Yellow, Pikachu.
>Gen 2
Thyphlosion.
>Gen 3
Alright, now you got me.
>Gen 4
Empoleon
>Gen 5
I will never know.
>Gen 6
Greninja
>Gen 7
Decidueye. The Masked Royale has a wrestling motif, and Hau's personality fits Popplio down to its evolutionary line.
>>
>>31797800
>canonical
There aren't any.
>>
>>31798075
>Hau's an opera singer
>>
Gen 3 is Blaziken. Blaziken was even supposed to be in Smash but was cut due to GF wanting to push gen 4
>>
>>31798093
my opera singer

But yeah, the thing where he uses Oceanic Operetta on you when you're burned fits him a little too well.
>>
>>31797878
It'll probably switch. It's like how Venusaur was the one they were pushing for RG but they changed it to Charizard down the road.
>>
>>31797800
Charizard
Typhlosion
Sceptile
Infernape
Samurott
Decidueye
>>
Charmander/Pikachu
Cyndaquil
Torchic
Chimchar
Snivy
Froakie
???
>it took until gen 5 for them to shill a non-fire starter

Also it's insanely stupid and counterproductive that this is a thing
>>
File: serena3.jpg (86KB, 579x498px) Image search: [Google]
serena3.jpg
86KB, 579x498px
>>31798507
>snivy wasn't the shillmon
worst timeline
>>
>>31798511
Wait it's not?
Okay I haven't been keeping track of all the venues through which they shill starters, did ash get a mary sue samurott or something?
>>
>>31797800
>Generation I
Charizard. Before FRLG became a thing, Pikachu would've been the choice, but FRLG removes him as a starter.

>Generation II
Typhlosion. Not my favorite of the three, but this is the only choice that doesn't give you or your rival Meganium, so this one makes the most sense. GF seems to agree.

>Generation III
Sceptile. Blaziken would also be an option, but I'm convinced Sceptile is the best option after the trailer and its role in Generations. It just fits Brendan. Plus, it give May Blaziken.

>Generation IV
Tough one, but I'll go with Torterra. Simply because I think Fire-type fits Barry with his "fiery" personality. It also gives Dawn an Empoleon, which pleases my autism.

>Generation V-1
Honestly, not sure. I would go for Samurott because its color scheme fits Hilbert, Bianca get Emboar, which also fits her color scheme to a certain degree. Cheren gets the strongest of the three.
But similar cases can be made for each starter, so I'm just gonna say I'm not sure about this one.

>Generation V-2
Emboar. I never even considered the others after the trailer. It just fit perfectly, and I was happy with it.

>Generation VI
Froakie. Obvious choice. Calem color scheme fits it perfectly. The artwork also showed Calem with Froakie, and that made it even better. Second starter I'd go with Charizard again.

>Generation VII
Not sure. Decidueye would be the obvious first choice, giving Hau the cheerful looking Primarina and Kukui the Incineroar, while giving Gladion a Fire-Silvally.
Primarina can also work, simply because it's color scheme fits Sun. It also gives Hau an Incineroar, which also fits his color scheme.
Incineroar can work too, simply because it's shown in OP and it would be a tiger Pokemon to parallel Solgaleo.
So, like Generation V-1, not sure here.
>>
>>31798649
I always thought Chesnaught was a more fitting choice for Calem and it even was shown as his starter in Generations, whether it is canon or not idk
>>
File: 1485661359227.jpg (83KB, 664x456px) Image search: [Google]
1485661359227.jpg
83KB, 664x456px
>>31798649
I like Sun/Incineroar's look. The red/black stripes contrast well with the blue/white.
>>
>>31797800
Red, Charizard (Self explains)

>Gold, Typhlosion (Chikorita is literally a placeholder, only trainers like lyra could raise one, and she didn't even. Feraligatr fits Silver very much and cyndaquil's color schemes are so obvious.)

>Brendan, Sceptilite (seen in generations, may has always had a torchic in every media [the opposing starter], I really like swampert though I have to admit they didn't PLAN on making it so popular)

>Dawn, Empoleon (This is very subjective, maybe, but Lucas is just so bland and boring that fits more the "professor assistant theme" than Dawn, also she was the protagonist of the DPPT anime that maybe influenced my vision of things as a young adolescent. Also I like imagining barry [is this the rival's name?] with an infernape)

>Hilda, Samurott (Just so, so, so much fanart of oshawott with the protagonist, and to be fair the other starters are kinda boring. Emboar looks good on nate but only cause BW2 protagonists sucked and samurott was the rival's starter as shown on the trailers and shit. Also Hilda over Hilbert just cause they force a bit the N romance and I don't like gay romance so let's go for Hilda)

Gen VI was a mistake

>Sun, Decidueye
Obviously sun for the obvious romantic thing pulled on your face and all the medias and the demo COME ON.
Also yes kukui is masked royal and incineroar fits him better then decidueye or primadonna
>>
There isn't, if you want my autistic headcanon based on what starters fit different characters the best, then

>Pikachu for Red, Charmander is fine too though
>Cyndaquil for Ethan, so Silver gets Totodile
>Treecko for Brendan, so rival May gets Torchic
>Turtwig for Lucas, so Barry gets Chimchar and friend Dawn gets Piplup
>Oshawott for Hilbert/Hilda, so Cheren gets Snivy and Bianca gets Tepig
>Snivy for Nate/Rosa, so Hugh gets Tepig and NPC Rosa/Nate gets Oshawott
>Fennekin for Serena, so rival Calem gets Froakie and Shauna gets Chespin
>Rowlet for Sun/Moon, so Kukui has Incineroar, Gladion has Fire Silvally like the key art for the RKS System shows, and Hau gets Popplio
>>
>>31797800
>Gen 1
Charizard with the double Mega and Smash entry
>Gen 2
I wanna say Meganium if only because of the anime. I don't recall 'Gatr or 'Pholsion getting any extra push.
>Gen 3
Blaziken easily with the Mega and Pokken
>Gen 4
Empoleon I think. Again this is based on Piplup getting a lot of push (Smash and Anime).
>Gen 5
Hard to say, but I wanna say Serperior. Very ambiguous.
>Gen 6
Greninja but I felt they wanted to push the Delphox line (Anime with Serena and Braixen in Pokken) but Greninja's design proved very popular with fans and Sakurai.
>Gen 7
Rowlet was universally loved but I kinda feel Incineroar gets a little extra push. Too hard to tell.
>>
>>31797800
The ones that PokéSpe characters chose.
>>
>>31799351
>literally just a cycle of Grass/Fire/Water/Grass/Fire/Water/Grass/Fire
>>
>>31799412
>Playing as the boy
>>
>>31797800
Incineroar, empoleon and blaziken. Not sure about jhoto.

Also, learn what the word canonical means.
>>
>>31799115
>I wanna say Meganium if only because of the anime. I don't recall 'Gatr or 'Pholsion getting any extra push.
But Typhlosion was owned by the GSC protag in Chronicles and Gold in Adventures
>>
>>31799622
Funny how the gen 2 starters are spiritual successors to their gen 1 counterparts. Typhlosion is basically a wingless Charizard, Meganium is more defensive compared to Venusaur & Feraligatr more physically offensive compared to Blastoise and they all share the exact same BST.
>>
Hey, /vp/. Does anyone of you have an Analytinc Magnemite in a Heavy Ball?
In exchange, I can offer:
-Sableye with HA, EM and Dusk Ball.
-Togepi with Premier Ball.
-Riolu with EM and Dream Ball.
-Totodile with HA, EM and Lure Ball.
-Alolan Vulpix with HA, EM and Luxury Ball.
-Honedge with EM and Moon Ball.
-Beldum with Heavy Ball.
-Gible with HA, EM and Lure Ball.
-Sneasel with HA, EM and Luxury Ball.
All of them have some perfect IVs (in fact, I have a bunch of perfect Riolus), so they are perfect for breeding.
>>
I fucked that up so bad, dangit.
>>
>>31798225
I also like both but the cat's my choice, so that's a semi-bummer to me. :( Oh well.
>>
>>31801927
THis is a new level of autism
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.