[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do I get good at team building? the only format i ever got

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 8

File: team building.jpg (79KB, 728x546px) Image search: [Google]
team building.jpg
79KB, 728x546px
how do I get good at team building?

the only format i ever got close to the ladder was random battles where i dont have to worry about it.

right now in OU it feels like wether or not I was lucky to bring the right pokemon for certain threats. and whenever I thought I made a change for the better, theres a different threat I no longer have an answer for.

my last team was
muk -a
skarmory
rotom W
lele
excadrill
mega zard x

all pretty much the standard sets
>>
Well the first thing you need to do is figure out what kind of team you want to build. Do you want Hyper Offensive, Stall, Balanced, etc?

My process is usually find a pokemon I want to use, then build a team that not only compliments that pokemon, but works together as well. A team that's prepared for different threats is usually pretty good, like a team that has a cleric to get rid of burns on your attackers, and having a physical and special sweeper so that you don't get walled by a dedicated physical/special tank.
>>
Step 1: Start with your wincons.
Your wincons are the Pokemon that win you the game, or the most powerful Pokemon on your team. You should probably have 2 wincons. The wincons should form a core that can beat most of the metagame together.
Step 2: Build up your support.
Think of a Pokemon team like a soccer team, where not everyone can be a star. You need the ones who can secure kills, and you need to support them with hazard control, pivots, etc. There should be 2-3 support mons.
Step 3: Finish with the glue.
The remainding spots on your team should go to your glue Pokemon. Think of what threatens your current team, and add Pokemon that can handle the threats, or what role your team lacks. These are glue Pokemon.
Now you have a somewhat decent team. It's oversimplified, but that is the general process for teambulding.
>>
Here is a good offensive core to get you started. Use it wisely.

Shadilay (Greninja) @ Life Orb
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn

IBM Watson (Metagross) @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Thunder Punch
>>
>>31785521
>>31785525
>>31785564
thnks. i have tried some of that, I'll try to get more into it
>>
File: 08d.png (159KB, 626x398px) Image search: [Google]
08d.png
159KB, 626x398px
>>31785564
>nicknames on set you're giving to another player
>mega-metagross with band set
>Physical attack on special greninja
>>
>>31785426
You should get a forum team to start with. Properly learn the meta and how to play and what is good and what to prepare for etc. etc. and then focus on building your own team.

In general though, it's a good idea to build around the meta, not the game itself. Don't think, "I have no grass resist", think, "I have nothing to take on Kartana." In this case it's meaningless to grab a grass resist that's weak to steel, because you aren't gaining anything from it.
>>
>>31785587
Are you retarded?
>>
>>31785587
very poor quality bait
>>
>>31785525
Not him but can Z-Conversion Pory-Z be a good sweeper?
>>
>>31785587

sick b8 m8
>>
>>31785615
it's really niche and pretty much shit.
>>
>>31785615
Yeah just make sure to have something to check all the Pokemon that get in your way so that you can sweep more effectively.
>>
>>31785615
tried it, and for a pokemon that really can only come in once, it doesnt have the sweeping power
>>
>>31785426
Understand the different types of teams.

-Hyper-Offensive, a team with a dedicated suicide lead (Stealth rocks, sticky web, etc.), 1-2 Wallbreakers, 1 (rarely 2) setup sweepers, and a few fast revenge killer type pokemon like Pheromosa/Scarf Lele/Greninja.

-Stall, A team type whose playstyle is to wear out opponents. Usually consists of multiple walls, physical and special, one or more hazard setters, a defogger and something that can haze out potential threats. As of late, Dugtrio is also a necessity.

-Balanced, a team type that doesn't excel at anything, but doesn't have many glaring flaws. It usually consists of a suicide lead and any combination of walls, utilitymon, wallbreakers, revenge killers and usually multiple pivots such as Landorus-T. Extremely versatile team type.

-Weather teams, most popularly rain. They use their insane speed to power through opponent's teams, you usually want a Pelipper and a few physical/special swift swim users. Tapu Koko with thunder is also an excellent pick, plus a mega that is weak to fire and has it mitigated by rain, usually Scizor.

Obviously, this isn't all the team types and I didn't go over them in tremendous detail, but I hope I shed some light on it.
>>
In regards to >>31785731
Please never use stall
>>
>>31785756
so far I only tried balanced.. whenever I see chansey plus skarmory and toxapex/msable I insta forfeit
>>
>>31785756
please die
>>
File: bendavies team.png (251KB, 507x739px) Image search: [Google]
bendavies team.png
251KB, 507x739px
>>31785756
Do it OP
Just because you said it, I'm posting the stall team that got to top 6/1800 elo on prebank OU
>>
>>31785756
This, if you're playing Stall you may as well just make a bot that plays the game for you or play solitaire instead.
>>
>>31785770
Try HO, it's easier to build and very efficient. Try out a sticky web team with mons like Kartana and Xurkitree. The goal is to set out Sticky Web so those normally only sort of fast Pokemon can outspeed even scarfed sweepers and pheromosa. It works insanely well, you'll climb really fast.
>>
>>31785798
Why tho
>>
>>31785822
Also Bisharp because defog and magic bounce
>>
>>31785770
>>31785822
I would not recommend Hyper Offense when starting, it's possible to lose the game by making one wrong move. Bulky Offense or normal Offense would be better imo.
>>
>>31785822
>>31785838
mimikyu as spinblocker? or is it too dangerous to get my disguise broken prematurely
>>
>>31785855
It would be better to keep disguise up for setup unless you're running a bulky set.
>>
>>31785855
Do people really use spinners that much now to warrant a spinblocker? I think Excadrill is the only relevant one right now, feels like everyone runs defoggers like Fini instead
>>
>>31785798
>baneful bunker over haze
>thunderbolt chansey
>max health chansey
>no actual spdef investment on sableye
>no hazard control
>max spdef toxapex
>roserade
>2 spikes users
>no unaware

goes to show how pathetically easy it is to use stall and then pretend you're somehow good. Also, looked up your account, you genuinely have played 484 fucking games with this shit. What a sad, sad life you have
>>
File: Screenshot_20170207-141116.jpg (1MB, 1428x2049px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170207-141116.jpg
1MB, 1428x2049px
Use a fun team.
For me its hyper offensive. I enjoy seeing damage as much as possible.
I hate hazards but this team doesnt use a defogger or rapid spinner which would help.
I end up just hoping they lead with whatever set up they have first so i can taunt. If the taunt is not enough to keep hazards out i dont care about them and just shoot a lot at the oppenent. Hoping to kill as much as possible.
>>
>>31785919
I think I'll actually try this, but scarf excadril instead of the mamoswine to get the rocks gone for zard and a litle more offensive variety
>>
>>31785919
Have you tried Sash SD Chomp instead of Lycanroc lead? Saw that running around every where during Gene suspect

>>31785916
>484 fucking games
What the fuck was his GXE? 60? This stall team is ass, even for pre bank.
>>
>>31785916
It was pre-bank. Defog Skarm, Seismic Toss Chansey, and most Unawaremons weren't available yet.
>>
>>31785954
Consider Mega-Alakazam, too. Lele/Alakazam/Phero core is near unstoppable.
>>
>>31785919
>max HP Tapu Lele
>>
>>31785978
Ghost types tho
>>
>>31785615
Only if you run hyper beam. You can use Z-Hyper Beam for a Breakneck Blitz that will OHKO almost any Poke when you see that z-conversion won't be of any help.
>>
>>31785756
This
Stall is a self defeating playstyle

In fact, it's quite easy to beat
The reason no one plays it are two:
1. It's really boring to play as and takes no skill other than patience
2. It's really easy to beat, it's just that most teams don't dedicate themselves to beating it. Stall can never become the dominant playstyle because once it does, it's quickly overwhelmed by the counter sets that beat it, those counter sets become dominant and then sets that beat the counter sets come around and stall disappears. Stall can only forever exist as a niche used by the most inept players with nothing but time on their hands
>>
File: 13c.gif (148KB, 123x103px) Image search: [Google]
13c.gif
148KB, 123x103px
Bump because this is a good thread.

Keep this good thread alive plz.
>>
>>31785916
>team gets to top 6
>criticise it based on some imaginary measure of "what's good" other than the only legitimate measure being "does it win"

you look stupid
>>
>>31786340
> It's really easy to beat, it's just that most teams don't dedicate themselves to beating it

If a team archetype can only be beaten if people specifically build their teams to counter it, then it's a good archetype no matter how much shitters like you pretend otherwise.

If nobody is running anti-stall (which isn't even true, I doubt you even ladder desu) then that by default makes Stall a powerful team archetype and therefore "good" in a meta, "good" being determined by whether it wins battles or not, not by your subjective opinion about whether its fun to play with / against.
>>
>>31786993
Beating stall is so easy. All you have to do is not play against stall.
>>
Build something you think is a fine base
See what do you struggle against the most
Adjust
>>
>>31786993
Truth is all you need is Gliscor with Taunt and Swords dance on your team to beat the common stall team, and you'd be done. Of course then you just spend the whole game switching to try and knock out his one pokemon he has to deal with Gliscor while he tries to avoid Gliscor and it just becomes a boring endless switch battle
>>
File: 9a1.jpg (37KB, 600x870px) Image search: [Google]
9a1.jpg
37KB, 600x870px
>>31785798
>prebank OU

Kek.
>>
>>31788516
This is why Stealth Rock is a necessary evil. A metagame without hazards benefits Stall more than it hurts it because typical Stall Pokemon can afford to take a hit.
>>
File: team.png (175KB, 642x806px) Image search: [Google]
team.png
175KB, 642x806px
I'm trying to use this as an offensive team with my u-turn Darmanitan, but I have no idea what my last pokemon should be. Probably gonna use Reuniclus but I'd like some advice if you guys see a better what I could be setting these guys up.
>>
>>31785587
U-turn is for the utility, not the actual damage.
>>
>>31791309
>type overlap
Also use a UB
>>
>>31791309
This team lookin' 6-0d by Zard X, no Rocks/Hazard control, or a scarfer. I would recommend taking out Scoliopede or at the very least changing it to Swords Dance+Life Orb or Water Z Move
>>
>>31791391
Might swap darminatan to a scarf then, been using sableye to block pokemon with rocks usually
>>
>>31785426
Well, you first have to decide what type of team you want: hyper offensive, balanced, trick room, stall (plz don't stall), etc.

Once you decide the type of team you want, look up pokemon that can do the job you want. For example, Garchomp is widely used on hyper-offensive teams because of its high attack and speed but players like to push it to 11 by slapping either a scarf, band or life orb on it to maximize damage output in addition to its 2 powerful STABs in outrage and earthquake. Whereas stall based players would go with Toxapex because of its crazy defenses, regenerator hidden ability and access to scald. At that point you just give it some leftovers, substitute and baneful bunker and BAM. Stallmon.

Here's an example of a hyper-offensive team that I actually use competitively: Galvantula, Chesnaught, Braviary, Garchomp, a-Marowak and mega Blastoise (details in next post)
>>
>>31791430
Relying on Sableye can absolutely work for preventing hazards, but it can be very inconsistent. They'll get free doubles on your Sableye because your only play will be to switch to it since you don't have hazard removal. Also to clarify on Scoli, the BPass set doesn't have much synergy with the rest of your team.
>>
Continuing from >>31791479, here's my setup in detail:

Timid Galvantula. (Trap setting suicide lead) 252 EVs in speed and special attack, 4 in special defense. Item: focus sash. Ability: Compound eyes

-Thunder
-Thunder wave
-Sticky web
-Bug buzz

Adamant Chesnaught. (physical tank) 252 EVs in attack and HP, 4 in special defense. Ability: Bulletproof. Item: assault vest

-Drain punch
-Seed bomb
-Rock tomb
-Iron head

Adamant Braviary. (setup physical sweeper) 252 EVs in attack and speed, 4 in HP. Ability: Defiant. Item: Fightinium-z

-Return
-Brave bird
-Rock slide
-Bulk up

Adamant Alolan Marowak (Support/attack drawerer). 252 EVs in attack and speed, 4 in defense. Ability: lightning rod. Item: thick club.

-Fire punch
-Shadow bone
-Bonemerang
-Will-o-wisp

Jolly Garchomp (Fast physical sweeper/revenge killer). 252 EVs in attack and speed, 4 in HP. Ability: rough skin. Item: life orb

-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Stone edge
-Iron head

Mega Blastoise (special tank). 252 EVs in special attack and Hp, 4 in special defense.

-Scald
-Aura sphere
-Dark pulse
-Dragon pulse

See the synergy? Send Galvantula out to set up the sticky web so that I outspeed most threats And then thunder wave them to ensure the next pokemon I send out is guaranteed to be faster (Or the reverse should the opponent be faster than Galvantula). This lets me sweep their whole team potentially because they're either too scared to switch-in to a type advantage or try to tough out the next attack.
>>
>>31791309
You want a pass scolipede, right? You can't do offensive and pass. 252 HP, 252 Speed, 4 atk, jolly with leftovers and sub/protect or swords dance. Don't use M-Sableye in anything but stall, Mega Metagross is a way better offensive mega. Last Pokemon should be Tapu Koko or Tapu Fini, depending on if you want a revenge killer or excellent utilitymon.
>>
>>31791688
By "or swords dance", I mean OR make it an offensive one with swords dance. Just clarifying.
>>
>>31785426
Pick something you want to use e.g. mega blastoise
Choose suitable support for that mon; mega blastoise works well with florges because it can sponge special attacks and provide recovery in the form of wish
Look over your team once you're done making it to see if there's any glaring problems or things that'll sweep you easily
Do about 5 to 10 matches, see what won you the match or what you lost against and adjust the team based on that
>>
>>31791647
Switch Chesnaught for something like Slowbro or Skarmory if you want an actually good physical tank. If you insist on keeping Chesnaught, at least do 252 HP/Def with Spiky shield, Leech seed/synthesis, drain punch and spikes.

Replace Braviary with Megazard X, Lando, Thundurus, etc. for a better setup sweeper. Otherwise, you're gonna have to run scarf on Braviary if you want it to be able to do anything.

HP instead of speed on Marowak, you won't be outspeeding anything with it. Maybe 136 speed, it outspeeds most Alolawaks with that. Also, give it Flare Blitz over Fire Punch, recoil doesn't matter.

DORAGON claw over Outrage on Garchomp, outrage is horrific in this fairy meta. If you're locked into it, you're basically writing "please fuck me tapu koko" all over yourself. Poison Jab over Iron Head, hits 4/4 of the Tapus instead of 2/4.

Please don't use Mega Blastoise.
>>
>>31785615
Maybe it's just me, but I find it to be a decently good wincon on Battle Spot and Showdown. Doesn't always get the job done but it's fairly reliable
>>
>>31791999
No. I refuse to ever use the genies. Especially Lando-T. And the sticky web is there to help mitigate Braviarys subpar speed. After one speed drop, base 80 speed outspeeds a surprising amount of things.

Chesnaught covers a lot of weaknesses my other mons have, particularly to rock, electric, and dark and the assault vest is a necessity given his bad special defense.

I'm literally just going with the same setup recommendation that smogon gave for alolawak.

Mega Blastoise is my counter to Landorus as well as just being a solid tanky wallbreaker. Seriously, mega Blastoise is a severely underrated mega.
>>
>>31792548
>I refuse to ever use the genies
Why?
>>
>>31792548
Alolawak can afford to not have some speed due to sticky web, it'll still outspeed others. Also, if you want a Grass mon with fighting, try Tapu Bulu, it's much better.

Also, genies being OP is a meme, literally only a single form of one is any good anymore. The other 4 are BL/UU and Lando-Incarnate is in ubers.
>>
>>31792563
Because I'm not a fag
>>
Yeah, I only use my favorites too. Now if only people would stop being such fags I might start winning.
>>
>>31792621
>I refuse to use really useful pokemon for absolutely no reason
>not a fag
ok
>>
>>31792621
Don't speak for me. I'm the original poster of>>31792548 and the reason I don't want to use Lando-T or any of the genies for that matter is because I think they are the most cancerous things in the meta.

I'm no Verlisdrone, and I'm not above using some cookie-cutter sets here and there, but I still want to have some FUN when playing online, hence why I actually use mega Blastoise, Braviary and Chesnaught. I like them too much NOT to use them.
>>
>>31792581
Yeah but then if I use Bulu, I'll end up nerfing myself because of grassy surge and Garchomp w/earthquake.
>>
>>31792969
>most cancerous things in the meta
Using fun teams is fine, but you're retarded if you think genies are bad for the meta. And if you think using Pokemon that look cool over play fun, comp might not be your thing.
>>
>>31793000
I'm not saying the genies are bad. I'm just sick of seeing them fucking everywhere. And I am fully aware that there are more practical mons out there but I don't care. Everybody has their bros and I'm no different (plus that Braviary was a special one since I lucked out and got one with its HA so now I feel obligated to use it). Besides, these mons do have their niche uses like every other mon out there.

I know I could be using better mons that everybody else uses, but I don't care. I've come to terms with the fact that they might not be OU material or in some cases even UU material, and I'm not going to try and force them into being so. I just want people to accept the fact that I use what I want without being chastised for it.
>>
>>31793153
>I'm just sick of seeing them fucking everywhere

Lando-I you will never see unless you play ubers, Lando-T actually is everywhere

Thundurus I and T were barely used to the point where they dropped to UU before getting banned from there

Same with Torn-T, while Torn-I is still UU

How can the entirety of a group of 6 mons be cancerous for OU when 4/6 of them can't even crack 2% usage and one of them is banned
>>
Wasnt every genie OU at some point?
There has to be somebody that actually likes them and thinks they are cool over just really useful in battle.
>>
Bamp
>>
grab your nearest Minior

give it a White Herb, Shell Smash, Acrobatics, Power Gem, and a coverage move of your choice

I promise you that it works wonders (if you know what you're doing.)
>>
>>31796570
>Greninja used water shuriken!
>>
>>31796689
... Point taken.
>>
>>31796570
Minior is ass
>>
File: 1.png (130KB, 635x957px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
130KB, 635x957px
Can I get some feedback on my team? It's fully UU (not on purpose) but I plan on using it in OU as well.
My biggest issue with it so far is not being able to touch Celesteela at all if gengar is dead.
>>
>>31785984
Both Lele and Zam learn shadow ball, one strong enough to usually nuke.
>>
>>31796869
Well, the good news is nobody uses Celesteela anymore. If you're really concerned about it, consider using a wallbreaker like Chandelure or Volcanion, especially Volcanion.

It pains me to see Body Slam on Snorlax, try Return? Replace Crunch with EQ unless psychic is big in UU. Dazzling meme over Energy Ball on Gengar, energy ball doesn't hit anything that T-bolt or stab don't well enough, whereas Dazzling Gleam hits dark, which I understand is more prevalent down there. Focus blast might do the trick, too. Lastly, consider a more surprising Z-Crystal or Lum Berry on Flygon, can't let it get burned.
>>
>>31796869
Recycle Lax is the new meta
>>
>>31797096
Thanks for the tips, I'll keep all of those in mind.
I used to run return when I kept toxic spikes around, I guess the paralysis isn't really worth it even if I'm not spreading poison.

>>31797168
Too gimmicky for my tastes desu
>>
>>31797179
>Too gimmicky for my tastes desu

And standard Curselax isn't?

Standard Curselax doesn't work too well in OU anyways thanks to Fini spreading around its no status effects everywhere. The main downside is that Snorlax is more prone to status as a result though status is less of a problem in OU nowadays as said before. The upside is recycle lax is a lot more flexible than standard Curselax which is way more gimmicky.
>>
>people itt suggesting shit stall teams
this is the only stall team right now: https://hastebin.com/afivodisaq.diff. it's free wins if you aren't a retard.

in terms of getting better at building, just steal teams from people that are high on ladder until you understand the meta more and can prepare yourself. understand sets, metagame trends, and play frequently. experience is the best way to progress as a player.
>>
>>31796869
My advice is don't fight Ash Greninja,Tapu Koko, Lele, Zard X, Double Dance Lando T, DD Nite, or any other tiered threat because you get 6-0d by half the tier.
>>
>>31797455
This is really sound advice, actually. I stole teams from higher-level players until I could get into the groove of this meta, at which point I started understanding what made teams good, what the threats in the game were, and how to build a proper, balanced team around them.
>>
>>31796869
you have no electric check, no speed control, no stealth rock, no good fire check (flygon doesn't beat volcarona), no good water resist, and no answer to lando-t. you'd be better scrapping 75% of the team and starting over with whatever core you wanted to build with or just using someone else's team
>>
>>31797513
I can swap blastoise and metagross for m-aerodactyl and swampert for rocks, fire and electric.
I have no idea what a good answer to Lando would be though.
>>
>>31791999
>outrage is horrific in this fairy meta. If you're locked into it, you're basically writing "please fuck me tapu koko" all over yourself.

This is wrong, IMO. Outrage is still good, especially when you've removed the Fairies on the opponent's team. Don't use it as your main attack, but the power makes it worth it over Dragon Claw.
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.