[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would it take for Smogon to shed its aversion to the evasion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2

File: 798Kartana.png (94KB, 416x416px) Image search: [Google]
798Kartana.png
94KB, 416x416px
What would it take for Smogon to shed its aversion to the evasion stat? Would a greater variety and distribution of high-power perfect-accuracy moves such as Smart Strike help to alleviate this issue?
>>
They don't like it because it amps up RNG dependency. Perfect accuracy moves being weak and rarely distributed is a small factor.
>>
aversion to evasion/accuracy isn't exclusive to smogon. video gamers in general hate that shit it's used against them
>>
Entering the doubles format.
>>
>>31747773
what would it take for smogon to not hate trapping abilities
I want to use gothitelle
>>
>>31747916
You can, just without Shadow Tag.
>>
>>31747773

No, we are already extremely limited to only 24 moves on a team, and you lose access to 4 of those every time a pokemon gets KO'd. It's not possible to make a team that counters every move/stat/ability/strategy/etc in the game, it's okay for the really cheap ones to just no longer exist
>>
>>31747935
So I can't use it.
>>
>>31747773

No, because evasion moves have way too high distribution, so you can't just tack on one perfect accuracy attack because certain evasion mons are resistant to certain perfect accuracy attacks. You aren't just countering evasion, you are countering every pokemon that can use evasion
>>
>>31747992
You can use it, just not with Shadow Tag.
>>
>>31747773
do you really want to fight against a double team mega sableye?
>>
why the fuck do people want evasion unbanned so badly

do you just want to pretend you're 8 years old again when you beat lance with your double team fire spin charizard
>>
>>31748011
So I can't use it
that's like saying you can "use" wobbuffet but only with telepathy, or you can "use" mega rayquaza, but only if it's holding an iron ball
>>
>>31748025
>>31748035
I understand why Smogon doesn't like evasion. I'm not trying to decry Smogon's decision here, I'm just pondering how Game Freak could change the game so that evasion/accuracy isn't so frustrating to fight against.
>>
>>31747773
Unlimited PP on perfectly accurate moves.
An ability that combines scrappy and technician distributed to every mon
An item that increases damage when you hit a target with evasion boosts
Reducing the distribution of double team
A full ban to baton pass
>>
>>31747935
>>31748011
That's basically saying you can't use it. They banned Gothitelle and the other trappers for a reason though. Gothitelle is banned and should stay that way, don't use it.
>>
>>31748047
Play AG then cuckboi
>>
>>31748055
>I'm just pondering how Game Freak could change the game so that evasion/accuracy isn't so frustrating to fight against.

Has there ever been a turn based game where one of your attacks missing wasn't agonizingly rage inducing? It's just not fun when you basically lose a turn, lose time out of your life, and your strategy potentially goes out the window because of a dice roll
>>
>>31748100
>imblyin
Gothitelle is pretty much in ban hell. So weak it will instantly die in ubers or AG and is useless af because you could just use something better like M-Gengar, but with too good an ability for OU. Basically the OU version of BL hell.
>>
>>31748100
AG is the only good way to play smogon.
>>
>>31748155
t. 5 Arceus and Mega-Fug player
>>
>>31748011
But he can't use it.
>>
>>31748173
>5 arceus
I can't really get that to do anything. Only normal arceus is good enough to take the slot tbqh
>>
>>31748129
Usually those characters are frail and limber, if they ever do get hit they are guaranteed dead. It's a balancing act. Pokemon's issue is that many of the evasion moves go to mons that are a great deal on the bulky side.

>>31747916
>>31747935
>>31747992
>>31748011
>>31748047
>>31748066
>>31748047
>>31748143
FFS just nerf Shadow Tag by giving it a catch like Magnet Pull or Arena Trap. I made this topic about evasion, enough with your shitty Fagitelle.
>>
>>31748244
no
also
>male gothitelle
anon pls
>>
>>31747916
For it to not be the last fun thing to fight against
>>
>>31747935
>Ban Shadow Tag and you can't use Wobbuffet effectively with its trashy Telepathy ability and Wobby would actually pretty good, see gen 4
>Ban Dugtrio and not Arena Trap because maybe someone wants to use Trapinch in OU
Smogon logic
>>
>>31748309
there's plenty of things that are generally agreed as unfun and smogon doesn't ban those
>>
>>31748359
Other than Baton Pass, nothing was less fun than Goth Stall. The only thing I can think of nearly as "unfun" is stall in general.
>>
>>31748377
>tfw they haven't banned toxapex, chansey, dugtrio, shedinja, and celesteela
>>
>>31748377
Yeah but that's what I mean. They don't ban arena trap as a whole, they don't ban all the stallmons people hate, and they don't ban the landorus that everyone complains is "unfun and way too useful." I just don't get their ban structure.
>>
File: 1485789307558.png (175KB, 875x875px) Image search: [Google]
1485789307558.png
175KB, 875x875px
>>31748399
>shedinja
>unfun
>ban
>>
>>31748443
>they don't ban the landorus that everyone complains is "unfun and way too useful."
Nobody who's good at this game complains that Landorus is unfun or too useful. Arena Trap as a whole isn't good, Diglett Stall is a joke. While I dont like Stall, banning the entire playstyle would cause a lot of backlash. It seems to me like your only experience with Smogon is through what people on /vp/ say, and the majority of people on here are fucking trash and only a few actually know what they're talking about.
>>
Evasion is just "I want the RNG to play the game for me".
I don't know why anyone would want it unless they think they're the only person who'd use it for the epic trole factor.
>>
>>31748471
I used to play back in gen 5 quite a bit and accumulated a lot of ladder experience. I kind of just dropped it around gen 6 and didn't feel like going back because of stuff they introduced fairly recently like the baton pass ban or realising that their hasty ban on M-Sableye which was too shit for ubers. I only really go back once in a while to see what the new fanmade meta is like before going back to the games. And I hear quite a bit of complaints about landorus, not that it's overpowered but rather that it's simply unviable to not have a team with it and it became a prerequisite to have one lest you lose every match. I suppose the problem really lies in that everything "good" needs a counter and the best one is landorus, but I still stand by the things I hear about it being far too useful.
>>
>>31748466
>tfw love fucking around with shedinja
>butthurt rainfags want it banned
suffering
>>
>>31748528
>realising that their hasty ban on M-Sableye which was too shit for ubers
Sableye wasn't unbanned because of this, it was unbanned because it was a new meta and with the new things introduced in the meta it's possible it won't be much of an issue. For the ORAS metagame, Mega Sableye is a pretty stupid mon. How useful it is in ubers shouldn't really apply to its unban anyways. Landorus' versatility is in a blanket check to many physical threats, and with the massive amounts of physical threats available it's obviously gonna be very useful. It's by no means required for a team to be competitively viable, but it's just a very good mon to have because of how much utility it has.
>>
>>31748570
Mega Sableye did not fare well in ubers though, did it? Worse than the lowest of the low from the discussions on their forums I've seen.
And yes, I did say that most of the good stuff needs a counter, but that's really why Landorus is always there. Few standard teams without one actually make it that far, unless the pilot of the team is incredibly skilled and lucky enough for the opponent to get fucked over. I don't think being used on almost every viable, non-themed team makes it bannable, but it certainly warrants consideration for limitation, possibly ability wise.
>>
>>31748650
>Mega Sableye did not fare well in ubers though, did it
As low as things like Deoxys N if I remember, which is extremely low. Although its usefulness in ubers really shouldn't matter, as it was too much for ORAS. "Few standard teams without one actually make it that far" isn't entirely accurate. Not using Landorus doesn't inherently put you at a disadvantage against a team with a Landorus. I haven't been watching a ton of SPL, but Lando hasn't been a particularly large threat.
>>
>>31748244
Maybe make it work only against ghost types? It bypasses their immunity to trapping of course.
>>
>>31748528
Being shit in Ubers does not mean you're okay for OU. Hell, some OU pokemon are more viable in Ubers than actual Ubers pokemon.
>>
>>31748209
Specially defensive Steel Arceus walls Xerneas and kills off Mega Diancies (one of the top threats in the format, oddly, because it magic bounces away Swagger, Thunderwave, and Spore/DarkVoid

Have a Fairy Arceus with Calm Mind and Judgement for rapid Mega Sableyes (another top threat). Does well against Mega Fug most of the time too, depending on if they make it mixed or not.

Throw in Ghost Arceus as a utility pokemon. It gets Stealth Rocks up and spinblocks both at once. Crushes poor players all on its own.

Now add in a Normal Arceus (Swords Dance, E-Speed, Shadow Claw, Overheat) as one of your finishers.

For 5th slot either use another Normal Arceus or Xerneas, depending on your tastes.

Add in either Mega Fug or Mega Diancie with Calm Mind (depending on how much you want to rape Swagger players) and you're finished.

And that's how you build AG team without using Klefki or baton Pass!
>>
>>31747773
>Smart Strike
>high power
Only Kartana uses it, and that's because it has no other STAB. There are only three decent moves that bypass evasion/accuracy. Two of them are exclusive to Hoopa, and the last one has terrible distribution.
>>
>>31749388
Huh, thanks. I never really thought to use steel Arceus.
>>
>>31747773
>+6 Evasion only reduces Accuracy by 50% instead of 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999%
There, Evasion is fixed forever, -50% within a single turn because of Minimize is turbo bullshit
>>
>>31750917
This.
>>
>>31748748
>>31748772
Fair enough. Maybe GF just needs to introduce some better counter pokemon.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.