[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

There's something nice about Melemele that I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_2808.jpg (73KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2808.jpg
73KB, 1024x576px
There's something nice about Melemele that I don't get from the rest of Alola - I think it might be related to how dense it is? Sure, in terms of physical space it's even smaller than Poni and its Pokedex is in middle place when it comes to how many mons are available, but it's got the highest amount of stuff you can do after completing all of its trials, even if some of those things take a while to unlock. The Battle Buffet's probably the most reliable place to grind in the game.

The routes are nice and big with lots of places to explore in them such as Melemele Sea, Melemele Meadow and the cave that connects it to Kala'e Bay - Alola's Route 1 is even the second biggest in the series; Iki Town's got the most NPC houses of any of the region's residential areas, you can find wild Pokemon all over Hau'oli City, Ilima has you fight him before you can take on his trial, which requires you to also fight a Skull Grunt in the process, and the bullshit with encounter rates isn't anywhere as bad on Melemele as it is on the other islands.

But I just can't find the same level of satisfaction with the other islands. Maybe it's cockteases like the Brooklet Hill Cave, Wela Volcano Park, the Hano golf course or Blush Mountain's power plant; Poni's lackluster atmosphere outside of Vast Poni Canyon, the amount of trainers whose movepools and amount of Pokemon are inexcusable for the point of the game you encounter them, the scarce population and empty routes, or trying to find certain Pokemon with shitty encounter rates. It feels like Game Freak dropped the ball after Melemele.
>>
>>31717299
Rushed game, nothing after Melemele was finished properly.
>>
It's probably the thing where developers focus on the earlygame the most, leaving the later areas a bit more rushed. It's definitely clear that they gave up a bit with island 3's Pokemon distribution, so many routes on Ula Ula have the same as the route before them. Even Poni does this a little bit, but not as much.

I think the second island was the most fun actually.
>>
>>31717310
The more time passes, the more I can't deny that SM was probably rushed for the anniversary.
>>
>>31717324
If Akala was a bit more dense, like having the things mentioned in the OP plus and some other things, it'd probably be the best Alolan island.
>>
>>31717326
It was. Big time. With all the area data in the game data, all the walking animations and the plot issues, there is absolutely no denying it. It's still a great game.
Literally every Pokemon game has been rushed, complaining about lost potential solves nothing
>>
Melemele is probably my least favorite island because it's where the fucking terrible softglow effect they added that ruins the celshaded aesthetic Gen VI already nailed as well as they could on the 3DS--yes, SM is somehow worse, if you compare certain Pokemon from XY/ORAS to SM you'll notice the shading is very "spotty" and not as smooth--is the most prominent.

Level design's better than the two middle islands but it's still shit enough that I find it hard to care.
>>
>xy is criticized for being rushed
>gamefreak's response is to rush sm even more than xy
JUST
>>
>>31717378

Were XY being rushed really major complaints though? Outside of /vp/ of course.
>>
>>31717359
>every Pokemon game has been rushed
Can I get some proof of this? Pretty sure only gen 7 has been rushed to the point of cutting features.
>>
>>31717359
to be fair, most games are rushed considering most developers try to get their games out for christmas.
>>
>>31717370
I could have sworn that the glow is present in some other places. Either way, it's at its worst in Melemele.
>>
the canyon aside, poni island is the worst island
>>
>>31717577
It is going to take a LOT of stuff to make Poni not shit.
>>
>>31717299
I like how everything on this Island is "connected", if that makes sense. Like a full circle, you'll end up where you started if you explore everything. This feeling sort of gets lost after you get Charizard and ability to Fly.
>>
>>31717643
a larger local pokedex would be a nice start.
Also, hiding Emolga and Scyther until after you beat the elite 4 is retarded.
>>
>>31717661
On that subject, it would also be nice to allow Magneton, Nosepass and Charjabug to evolve sooner.
>>
>>31717359
>Literally every Pokemon game has been rushed
Only after global release became a thing.

Before that, they'd release it when it was ready. Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 were released in June.

The problem is, Game Freak realized that hype is the biggest motivator to sell units, not quality. When the games are released worldwide, you can keep feeding the hype and the entire world will buy it at once, instead of just Japan and the rest checking videos/translation hacks to see if they like the game first.
>>
>>31717724
Hmm. I've never noticed the correlation between the games' drop in quality and worldwide releases sans Europe until now.
>>
>>31717724
>Gen 1 and 2 were not rushed
HA, no. The only possible gen you could argue that wasn't rushed is gen 3
>>
>>31717759
Gen 1 was being developed since, arguably, 1989. Gen 2 received new, unplanned content (Kanto) after Iwata managed to compress the data more efficiently.
>>
>>31717796
Gen 1 had more then half of Gen 2's pokemon in it, just as Missigno. Not even because of sprite restrictions or anything. They were just hurriedly cut out. As well as how broken the game was mechanically (Nothing ever dethawed, leech seed and toxic switched damage, Psychic was strong against everything, etc), not to mention the dozens of cut map locations and scrapped areas.
Gen 2 was meant to have a shit ton of locations that were cut, including a safari zone, a new house in ecruteak, and a separate rocket hideout in goldenrod. And the voltorb flip minigame from gen 4 was actually meant to be in it. And sweet honey from gen 4 was to make an appearance. It all got cut because of bugs
>>
>>31717835
Whoops, meant "Psychic was weak to basically nothing"
>>
>>31717835
Damn, some of that stuff sounds cool. It's weird to think that GS were still rushed despite the number of delays they went through.
>>
>>31717835
I think with Gen 1 and 2 in particular, it's not so much as these games were rushed as they were in development for a very long time and eventually they had to step back and decide what was and was not going to be in the games, just so that they actually do finally come out.

There's a difference between GF of their own accord deciding to stop developing more content for the sake of finally releasing the game, and external pressure from Nintendo/otherwise essentially interrupting work that GF was likely in the middle of to get the game out ASAP.
>>
>>31717925
>There's a difference between GF of their own accord deciding to stop developing more content for the sake of finally releasing the game, and external pressure from Nintendo/otherwise essentially interrupting work that GF was likely in the middle of to get the game out ASAP.
>There is a difference with the game developers rushing a game then if Nintendo rushes the developers
No, no there is not. A rushed game is still a rushed game. If they cut a shit ton of content so they could finally publish it, it's rushed.
>>
>>31717948
>I outline the difference
>"there's no difference"
you dense motherfucker
>>
>>31717961
>There is no difference
>You say there is a difference
>I disagree with you
>"you dense motherfucker"
No, there is no difference between a game that the developer rushes and when someone else tells them to rush a game
>>
>>31717925
No, Gen 2 was very rushed. It's pretty obvious from the low quality of the region and Pokemon.
>>
>>31718068
Did the higherups tell GF to rush SM?
>>
>>31717399
Not really.
Only if you consider possibility of the third games as "being rushed".
>>
>>31718258
>we could've gotten a third kalos game that fixed many of x and y's issues instead of an even more rushed game with more issues
>>
>>31717299
Melemele is based on Oahu, the most densely populated island of Hawaii. 2/3rds of Hawaii lives there. Rushed game or not, it makes sense for there to be more things to do in Melemele on account of the fact that there's also loads more to do in its real life counterpart. Blame Gamefreak's obsession with reality.
>>
>>31717643
Just adding in actual trials for Psychic, Fairy, and Flying would be a nice start. Ice and Steel too, of course, but those fit better on other islands.
>>
>>31718357
>Blame Gamefreak's obsession with reality.
Yeah just like the desert in New York City
>>
I wish the exterior part of Ten Carat Hill in the demo was in the actual game.
>>
>>31718436
Or the ones in Kyushu and Hokkaido.
>>
>>31717310
I think Akala Island was better than Melemele but I agree with your other point
>>
>>31722658
So from what I've seen, it seems the ranking of the islands goes Akala>Melemele>>Ula'ula>>>>Poni.
>>
>>31717661
>Emolga, Scyther, Lucario, and Oricorio-Sensu locked till after the E4
>Yanmrga, Toxicroak, Slaking and others locked after the E4 in B2W2
>no Razor Claw to evolve Sneasel until XY's "postgame"
Why even make them part of the regional dex if you can't get them during the main game?
>>
File: Akala.jpg (3MB, 2289x2667px) Image search: [Google]
Akala.jpg
3MB, 2289x2667px
>mfw just realized minutes ago while filling dex on Route 8 there's a huge ass cave behind the volcano we'll never see
>What we have of the volcano is just a small walk around the perimeter and summit where nothing besides the totem battle happens
>mfw nothing of interest in that little pool on the small island on Route 7
>Golf course just stares you in the face knowing you will never access it
>Two hotels and absolutely fuck all to do in either of them
>Nothing significant about the interesting pond of water you see on Route 4

Fuck this island desu
>>
>>31724161
You access that cave through the jungle.
>>
File: 1478230444877.jpg (131KB, 344x286px) Image search: [Google]
1478230444877.jpg
131KB, 344x286px
>>31724185
>Realize I never used strength in the are yet
>Only get a Zygarde Cell, Rare Candy and Energy Ball.

I was wrong but damn. I should appreciate it, Energy Ball is a great find. But I just can't bring myself to.
>>
>>31724161
Brooklet Hill is painful to look at. I was so hoping to explore the dozens of rock pools and that cave, but all we got is the generic lake parts.
>>
File: 1485967347349.jpg (209KB, 1136x852px) Image search: [Google]
1485967347349.jpg
209KB, 1136x852px
>>31724338
You were originally going to be able to.
>>
>>31724604
That's why it hurts, because it's so tantalising.
>>
>>31717759
just look at gen III abilities
literally every non Hoenndex mon got rushed abilities.
fuck, every legendary got pressure
>>
>Solrock and Lunatone, found on Mt. Hokulani and Mt. Lanakila
>Floette, Oddish and Roselia line found in the various meadows
>Tropius found on Poni Island
>Slugma line around Wela Volcano
>Mantine and Mantyke on the water route in Ula'ula Island
>Noibat and Axew in the Vast Poni Canyon and Resolution caves
>rhyhorn and gligar on Poni
>numel in the volcano
>skorupi in the jungle and routes around brooklet hill
>frillish on water routes
>cherubi line in the jungle/meadows
>>
>>31725587
Getting better.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.