[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>claim that gen 4's split was bad for widening the gap

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

File: 848.png (205KB, 659x525px) Image search: [Google]
848.png
205KB, 659x525px
>claim that gen 4's split was bad for widening the gap between strong and weak pokemon
>people get mad and ignore every argument you make
>claim that move tutors are a bad idea for removing niches and, once again, transfering power to pokemon that are already strong
>people once again get mad and ignore every argument you make

Now I understand how Galileo felt.
>>
File: 20170116_191251.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170116_191251.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Dumb frogposter
>>
File: 1475521172436.png (108KB, 357x368px) Image search: [Google]
1475521172436.png
108KB, 357x368px
>>31702096
I know.
>>
Explain why the gen 4 split was bad. Let's see the arguments.
>>
>tfw too intelligent for my own board
>>
>>31702083
the split was good and important - what made turned it shit was the introduction of IVs and Natures
>>
File: 1446077262386.jpg (99KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1446077262386.jpg
99KB, 1280x720px
>>31702114
1 - the power gained by pokemon with already high stats was much higher than the power gained by pokemon with weak stats

2 - not having to divide your offenses makes dual STAB preferable to a single one, which means that pure typed pokemon have to compensate somewhere else (which often doesn't happens)

3 - with offensive prowess up, defensive pokemon with poor attacking stats are no longer able to function properly without recovery and a good defensive dual typing (excluding Chansey of course)

4 - the threshold between 3HKO and 2HKO was gone - most neutral STABs will 2HKO or 1HKO. Which means that too many pokemon are now unable to execute their strategy as they need one turn to setup
>>
>>31702146
IVs and natures aren't very relevant. A bigger change was EV being limited to 510, which, once again, tipped the scales in favor of offensive pokemon and striking first became more important than ever.

As for the split, an easy, in your face example: which is better, Alola Marowak or regular Marowak, and why?

It would be a fair discussion in gen 3. But thanks to it having its dual typing being used for BOTH offense and defense, Alola Marowak is simply better. And it represents everything wrong with the split. Single-typed pokemon that are fairly strong simply can't compete.

Since most here uses Smogon, guess which gen made previously OU and BL things fall all the way down to NU? Since I used the Marowak example, just check her.
>>
>>31702146
Stop posting any time
IVs have always been around you muppet
>>
>>31702253
>once a pokemon is OU, it should be OU forever
>her

kys
>>
>>31702253
What's stronger, Alolan Dugtrio or standard?
>>
>>31702187
>3 - with offensive prowess up, defensive pokemon with poor attacking stats are no longer able to function properly without recovery and a good defensive dual typing (excluding Chansey of course)
>4 - the threshold between 3HKO and 2HKO was gone - most neutral STABs will 2HKO or 1HKO. Which means that too many pokemon are now unable to execute their strategy as they need one turn to setup
You say this like Gen IV wasn't the most defensive meta aside from Gen II. It's literally the only meta that Alakazam isn't OU, because sweepers aren't viable.
>>
>>31702187
I found the stall player
>>
>>31702286
Without direct nerfs (ie how the crit change killed Persian), what justifies a free fall from BL to NU? How do you explain this phenomenom?

Once again, arguments are dismissed in favor of shitposting.

>>31702356
Gen 1, 2 and 3 were much more defensive than 4.

Alakazam wasn't OU since gen 2.

I'm glad you mentioned Zam. It showcases all the problems I've mentioned in the OP.

Alakazam isn't viable in gen 4 because no dual STAB to properly use its special, offensive prowess got too high for it to Calm Mind and Recover properly, and most importantly, it lost Trick, killing its niche as a Trick - Calm Minder that could beat every single special wall in the game.

Thanks to the split, dark moves being physical meant that any Choice Scarfer could trap and remove Zam with Pursuit - were Pursuit still special, Zam would Calm Mind in their faces.

>>31702407
Stall became only a thing after GF realized that walls can't function without recovery - so now there's a power struggle. Either you kill something in 2 hits or you simply don't. Where before, in gen 3, repeated attrition would eventually take down the likes of Skarmory, Forretress, Steelix, Regice, etc.
>>
>>31702467
Correction - it lost exclusivity to Trick thanks to Platinum.
>>
File: 1478511929065.png (289KB, 620x372px) Image search: [Google]
1478511929065.png
289KB, 620x372px
>>31702467
>Alakazam wasn't OU since gen 2.
And before you mention Alakazam being BL, remember that BL not only isn't a tier, but it's also only applied retroactively to Gen III, since BL has only been a thing since Gen IV anyway.
>>
>>31702318
Regular, but it has much more to do with the speed loss and ability than with the typing.
>>
>>31702187
>with offensive prowess up, defensive pokemon with poor attacking stats are no longer able to function properly without recovery and a good defensive dual typing (excluding Chansey of course)
Does Rest not count as recovery or something?
>>
>>31702625
No.
>>
>>31702524
Doesn't really changes the fact that people didn't use it.

>>31702625
Rest in the face of a Salamence, I dare you.
>>
>>31702652
>Doesn't really changes the fact that people didn't use it.
In the same way that Persian is now classed as UU in RBY meta.

You know people still play old metas, right?
>>
You undeniably have a point. I still think there are more pros in favor of the split though. It made a lot of mons better, and the ones that got worse still remained decent for the most part. There are some gen iii casualties, sadly, but not so much. Actually gen i and ii pkmn didn't fall so hard, I wonder why.
>>
>>31702678
RIP Weezing.

Gen III-Gen III.
>>
>>31702467
>>>31702286
>Without direct nerfs (ie how the crit change killed Persian), what justifies a free fall from BL to NU? How do you explain this phenomenom?
>Once again, arguments are dismissed in favor of shitposting.

Maybe there being like twice as many pokemon now, and the higher tiers being similar in size?

If you took all the currently existing pokemon and moves and stuff and reverted the split, I doubt you'd get anything much resembling the gen 3 metagame.
>>
>>31702083
>trying to say anything bad about gen 4 on a board composed mostly of sinnohfoeti
Don't bother, anon. They can't even acknowledge that gen 4 is objectively the worst from a gameplay standpoint, don't expect them to be able to see anything as nuanced as that through their rose tinted nostalgia goggles.
>>
File: 799.png (76KB, 238x200px) Image search: [Google]
799.png
76KB, 238x200px
>>31702083
You know, maybe it's because I never cared about competitive, but I like the physical/special split because it made moves more logical. Why would biting something or punching something with a burning fist not be physical and why would shooting a beam be physical? It also fixed Shadow Ball which was retarded before because it lowered Sp.Def but was physical which made no sense.
>>
>>31702724
how can gen 4 be objectively the worst when gen 1 exists?
>>
>>31702724
Dont turn this into a gen war you faggot. Under what grounds can you claim that this board is mostly comprised of Sinnohfags? I'd say it's pretty even across all gens. If I had to pick, I'd say Johto and Hoennfags are the majority
>>
>>31702750
I kind of fall here too. Almost all dark moves seemed like they should be physical and a lot of ghost moves should have been special, and now they are. not to mention that pre-split some pokemon were almost completely useless because their STAB(s) were based on the attack stat that they were much weaker with, and their non-STAB movepool was terrible.
>>
File: IMG_5680.jpg (90KB, 407x473px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5680.jpg
90KB, 407x473px
You say most of this only focusing on the Pokémon that went from good to great when instead you should be think of the real reason the split was put in place. It was to help Pokémon go from fuck awful to half decent, the split limited the variety between Pokémon being special or physical. If you were a grass type you better be specially invested or you're FUCKED. Pokémon like Crawdaunt, Sharpedo, Kingler, Hitmonchan and the like were all GARBAGE before the split, some listed suffered greater than others, as their typing/movepool actively worked against their stat distribution. Sure these Pokémon weren't turned into competitive gods for the most part after the split, but having Sharpedo be able to use its attack stat for STAB moves is infinitely better than hitting opponents with sub 100 STAB in RSE.
>>
the physical / special split is what caused dragons to spiral out of control, which in turn caused fairies

fuck it
>>
>>31702708
I'm comparing the jump between gen 3 to gen 4.

Of course, 4 gens later it wouldn't look the same.
>>
>>31702750
>>31702791
The biggest problem wasn't the split itself, but the moves it added, and not nerfing previous moves that woul be too good with the split.

For example, Flare Blitz over Fire Punch, Outrage (now 120 BP) over Dragon Claw, etc.

Garchomp's STABs were 100 BP and 120 BP... it's insane.

>>31702877
Yep. Way back when fairies were revealed I was already talking about nerfing dragon moves because they were the problem, but oh well, here we are dealing with Tapus and Xerneas bullshit.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.