[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Generation I >Original Pokemon, upon which all others are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: tumblr_mg4lnyTJdc1ru66eqo1_500.png (69KB, 500x178px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mg4lnyTJdc1ru66eqo1_500.png
69KB, 500x178px
Generation I
>Original Pokemon, upon which all others are building
>Designs are intended to have semi-realistic details for the most part while still fairly stylised
>Many of the designs are based closely on real animals, while others are ambiguous forms
>Heavy kaiju and dinosaur influence on many designs

Generation II
>Mostly made up of rejected designs from I, as such aesthetic is similar
>For the most part, designs are a lot simpler and a greater percentage is based closely on real animals

Generation III
>Great shift in design away from realistic details and more towards artificial-looking details
>Now more extraneous details are beginning to be added to designs (such as spikes and lines for no reason)
>Much more alien looking designs and a departure from basing designs solely on a single real world animal
>More creativity in designs

Generation IV
>Designs have an even more artificial look to them
>Many extraneous details are added to designs and little-to-no realistic details remain
>Continues III's trend of having more ambiguous designs
>Massive generation with many designs, including many legendaries

Generation V
>Retains artificial aesthetic, but designs begin to drop the extraneous design features
>More down-to-earth designs than III and IV but still very different from I and II
>Another large generation

Generation VI
>Extraneous details seem to be mostly dropped (other than on Megas)
>Designs are much more simple than III, IV and V
>Semi-realistic details have returned in some designs but others retail artificial aesthetic
>Designs start to become increasingly outlandish and creative
>Much smaller generation, dropping "filler" designs from past few generations

Generation VII
>An attempt at returning to I and II designs, with many designs being simplistic overall but featuring semi-realistic details
>Another small generation with little filler

Which is your favourite?
>>
I have crippling autism.
>>
>>31683050
Do people only look at Garchomp when they think of Sinnoh Pokemon? Most Pokemon from gen 4 aren't that overdesigned.
>>
>>31683050
The only gens I don't really care for design wise is III, IV, and some parts of V. Everything else is generally solid in one way or another despite the differing design philosophies, and from Gen V and forward I feel like we're on an upswing in terms of Pokemon design.
>>
>>31683136
>from Gen V and forward I feel like we're on an upswing in terms of Pokemon design

I 100% agree, although I like designs from all gens, I think III and IV were awkward teen stages of design and ever since designs have been much more focused and well thought out
>>
>>31683050
>Generation 1 - 2
>Baby Phase
>We loved them because we didn't know any better, they were all we had and now we still love them because of this

>Generation 3-4
>Teenager Phase
>Kinda awkward design choices as GF is still trying to decide what direction to take going forward

>Generation 5-7
>Mature Phase
>GF have learned from their past phases and designs are much better
>>
>>31683050
>Gen 1
literally my moms zoo etc
>Gen 2
literally my moms zoo 1.5
>Gen 3
balloon animal tycoon
>Gen 4
wider variety of balloon animals
>Gen 5
literally my moms zoo + balloon animal tycoon
>Gen 6
Anything goes
>Gen 7
All the above + recolours

They AL have pokemon I dislike and pokemon I like. It has nothing to do with the particular style or what concepts they were based on. It has everything to do with the execution and final product of each individual.
>>
File: 1485331313733.jpg (62KB, 600x566px) Image search: [Google]
1485331313733.jpg
62KB, 600x566px
>>31683054
/thread
>>
>>31683050
Gen III
>>
>>31683050
Generation II
>Mostly made up of rejected designs from I, as such aesthetic is lower in quality
>almost everything is formless and blobby

Fixed.
>>
>>31683190
Why didn't you become president instead of Trump?
>>
>>31683536
because nice guys finish last
>>
>>31683638
friendzoned again
>>
Honestly, Gen 3 is where Pokemon started to get really good designs inconstantly. Pretty much kept up on the ball throughout the generations.

This Gen 2 designed pokemon though retains everything I dislike about Gen 2 though.
>>
>>31683083
the cross-gen evos are more overdesigned than garchomp
>>
>>31683050
If the genIII mon wasn't bipedal, it would look kind of like a bug type eevelution
>>
Gen 4. The designs took time to get used to, but after that they're the one's that stuck on me the most. Also I love how little filler it had, every Pokémon had some niche thought for it to be usable at least ingame. The designs, typings, stats and abilities compliment each other really well and the trend has continued since then.
>>
File: tumblr_min1lmStz31rtatqpo1_500.gif (1011KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_min1lmStz31rtatqpo1_500.gif
1011KB, 500x375px
>>31683050
Gen 3 is my favorite but I like Gen 5 as well.

Aggron, Ludicolo, Crawdaunt, Deoxys, Rayquaza, Groudon, Kyogre, Swampert, Blaziken, Sceptile, Sharpedo, and many others. It felt like the perfect blend between realism and cartoon. I also think it has the most safe box legendaries.
>>
>>31683050

>Generic G1 mon design
>doesn't have a "curl" or a tail

welp.
>>
File: real_8756_rabbits-000.jpg (218KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
real_8756_rabbits-000.jpg
218KB, 1024x768px
>>31683050
>kaiju

LOOK GUYS I LEARNED THIS COOL NEW WORD FROM WATCHING A MOVIE IT'S CALLED PACIFIC RIM THOUGH YOU PROBABLY NEVER HEARD OF IT
>>
>>31683050
Gen III is possibly my favorite. Gen II bored me because of how similar it was to Gen I. But when RS came out it was like they flipped the series on it's head. The new sprites were colorful and amazing, the monsters were new and fresh and there's still so many Gen III Pokemon that I love. Next would be Gen V, even though admittedly it took awhile to grow on me, but looking back there's still a lot of great mons.
>>
>>31684432
You mean horn.

>>31685971
Absol, Deoxys, Rayquaza, Aggron, Crawdaunt, Kyogre, Ludicolo, Regice, Regirock, Registeel, Latios, Latias, Breloom, Solrock, Lunatone, Metagross, Flygon, Cacturne, Shiftry, Blaziken, Swampert, Sceptile, and many more. Love 'em. Best set of starters as well imo.
>>
>>31683050
I would rank them as such.
1. Alola
2. Kanto
3. Unova
4. Hoenn
5. Johto
6. Kalos
7. Sinnoh

I feel like alola honestly has the strongest selection yet, only bruxish and tsareena come to mind in terms of shitty designs in alola.

Kanto is very close though, I feel it has such a varied and interesting selection.
>>
>>31685904
>not knowing about kaiju since before Pacific Rim
>not knowing how big the kaiju/tokusatsu genre was for Japanese kids growing up in the 70s/80s
>thinking a Japanese design team's designs that have a blatant 70s kaiju aesthetic didn't actually look like kaiju
>implying Nido family isn't just a huge reference to Baragon with poison added

Must be nice being an ignorant asshole
>>
>>31686023
No, I really mean curls, as in Vulpix and Jigglypuff's hair, Wartortle and Meowth's tail, Slowpoke ears, to name a few.
>>
>>31683050
Gen I is just bad, I don't mind many desings due to nostalgic reasons, but that put aside, most of the designs are just your average cartoonish animal. A few good designs though, Mewtwo and Mew are one of the best, but the best one in my opinion is Haunter (though it's just a ghost, typical for 1. gen). Abra line is also ok. Ekans, Grimer, Voltorb etc are the worst imo.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.