[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I really liked to play Battlespot a couple of years ago. It was

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7

File: charizr.png (116KB, 300x262px) Image search: [Google]
charizr.png
116KB, 300x262px
I really liked to play Battlespot a couple of years ago.
It was fun to win, it wasn't dissapointing to lose, because balance in pokemon was perfect at a time, and winning or loosing a match was a matter of how you play, not wich pokemon you added in your team

But nowadays, every time I go to play in battlespot, I facing against one and the same pokemon over and over again.

Those pokemons were made not for fair play, but for easy wins. They allows player to deal giant damage, gain more than 1 boost in 1 turn, change opponent's pokemon, poison opponent every turn, protect every other turn etc.
Those cards are unfair, and they really ruins all the fun from playing batlespot.

I made a list of those pokemon (see below).
I have some of them in my collection, but I don't use any of those pokemon on my team, because I'm trying to pay maximum respect to my opponents. Howewer, most of my opponents do not respect me, and uses at least one of this pokemon:

Aegislash with substitute and toxic
Celesteela with leech seed
Tapu Lele with Psychium Z
Porygon2 with Eviolite
Tapu Koko with dual screens
Garchomp with choice scarf
Gyarados Mega
Salamence Mega
Lucario Mega
Kangaskhan Mega
Slowbro Mega
Landorus with intimidate
Cresselia with rocky helmet
Heatran with air balloon
Azumarill with belly drum
Toxapex with recover
Tapu Bulu with choice band
Gengar Mega with Perish Song
Serperior with Contrary
Cloyster with King Rock
Mimikyu with Disguise
Glalie with Moody
Mandibuzz with Roost and Foul Play
Kartana with Assault Vest
Xurkitree with Choice Scarf
Kingdra with Drizzle on the same team

Why other pokemon that was ruining the game (rayquaza and mewtwo as example) are banned for play, but those pokemon - are not?
How to counter those pokemons without using some of them?
>>
ITT autism
>>
>>31625754
>I really liked to play Battlespot a couple of years ago.
>It was fun to win, it wasn't dissapointing to lose, because balance in pokemon was perfect at a time, and winning or loosing a match was a matter of how you play, not wich pokemon you added in your team
when? gen 4 had mons with 50% usage and gen 5 was just weather wars.

Competitive pokemon has always been a shitshow
>>
File: FB_IMG_1482085719652.jpg (27KB, 480x357px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1482085719652.jpg
27KB, 480x357px
>balance in pokemon was perfect at a time
>>
File: Yuuko Kanoe head tilt.jpg (38KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Yuuko Kanoe head tilt.jpg
38KB, 640x360px
>>31625754
>>31625754
>because balance in pokemon was perfect at a time

Pokemon has never had perfect balance. Not even Gen 1 had perfect balance and it had less Pokemon and moves to work with.

>>31625754
>because I'm trying to pay maximum respect to my opponents

No one gives a shit about respect.
>>
>I pay respect to my opponent by using inferior options
That's not being respectful, that's being fucking retarded.
>>
Eventually you'll narrow down the most viable and successful options, and people will use them.

Not sure what you want done. To keep things fresh and non repetitive they'd have to patch pokemon every so often. Itd end up being like WoW where classes would get buffed and debuffed and some would be good, then suck another time.

Not sure what could be done.
>>
I can understand not using crazy shit like Tapus, Legendaries or some of the nastier megas, but what's the issue with porygon2 and mimikyu?

Besides, a handful of those listed are easily KO'd if you remember to bring something to deal with them. I am pretty shit, but yesterday I won almost 15 straight battlespot matches with a trick room team using ice crab to smash dragons and remove land genie
>>
>>31625754
Battlespot is a shit format
>>
>Mandibuzz
>Porygon2
>Kingdra
I could understand some of this list, but these are inexcusable.
>>
>Porygon2 with Eviolite
>Cloyster with King Rock
>Garchomp with choice scarf
Thanks god that this wasnt possible a couple of years ago... oh
>>
i think all of the people posting in this thread are just disrespectful losers who can't win with honest pokemon like charizard and blastoise.
>>
File: C3C54JyVcAAatmY.jpg (92KB, 664x625px) Image search: [Google]
C3C54JyVcAAatmY.jpg
92KB, 664x625px
>OP
>>
File: 1484944005634.png (308KB, 492x419px) Image search: [Google]
1484944005634.png
308KB, 492x419px
>>31627040
>I have no respect for anyone I fight with, but I will still play the game by my code of honor.
Beautiful
>>
Some things simply aren't fun to play against.

I made a thread about Z-moves (and Megas) the other day and people got mad over it. Hell, people were telling me to switch something in to die - it baffles me how someone considers that perfectly normal and fun.

Imagine if once every match, your queen can destroy all opponent's pieces in a line.
Such uncompetitive move would ruin chess. Yet people defend it on Pokemon for some reason.

Game Freak has to realize that not everyone wants to have 5 minutes matches where you just press buttons and watch things die, or a 30 minute match with Celesteela/Porygon2/other stallmons. There has to be a middle ground.

My favorite competitive pokemon era was in PBR - it was the perfect middle ground between offense and defense. Sadly it got ruined in Platinum (giving Outrage to Salamence and Bullet Punch to Scizor started the degenerate gameplay that we have today).

>>31626400
>but what's the issue with porygon2 and mimikyu?
Mimikyu has something better than a Focus Sash as ability. It's yet another "save the match" card, the same way that Talonflame was in gen 6.
>>
>>31627225
>comparing pokemon to chess
you're right anon, that would be bullshit, because it isn't a valid comparison.

In chess you always have the same enemy team, in pokemon your enemy can have a varid team with different strategies and weaknesses. Sometimes one pokemon in your team wont be able to fulfill their role in a match, they're sacrificial fodder now, that's just how the game is. You adapt to the team your opponent has, and sometimes your team is simply in a disadvantage to your enemy's team by default, and you have to make do.

And please, don't say Z-moves are an issue, nobody but porygon and heatran use z-moves for anything other than gimmicks or memes.
>>
Is this the new Edgar clause
>>
>>31627225
I knew porygon 2 has a lot of bulk with eviolite, but I just use it as a trick room setter. Taunt literally screws it over, and it can't really do too much damage on its own. As for mimikyu, taunt hurts it when everyone boosts on the first move. Mimikyu also has little physical bulk, so even neutral moves can dent it easy. I can see it being a problem in singles, but that's why I play doubles more often, it seems to be harder to cheese people that way.
>>
>used flinchkiss in gen iv
>flinchrachi in rain in gen v
>parafusion klefki in gen vi

I've been an asshole for years, op. This isn't new.
>>
>>31627326
That's even worse. When people have different teams you should keep things in check to not make the match unbalanced.

A perfectly crafted team will have a rough matchup somewhere, and will depend on one or two factors to win. You can't fucking add moves or mechanics that easily removes those factors, so you overpower your opponent even further and easier.

>And please, don't say Z-moves are an issue, nobody but porygon and heatran use z-moves for anything other than gimmicks or memes.
I'm talking about Battle Spot, not Smogon.

>>31627378
Mimikyu is pure cancer in 3v3 singles. Yet another example of GF "balancing for doubles" and messing up the other format.

It's about time those clowns realized that they should balance for singles first. Mimikyu is great in doubles for outspeeding Lele and setting up Trick Room if you need it, but this thing has no place in singles.
>>
>>31625754
>Landorus with intimidate
Nigga that's the least cancerous Landorus, shoulda put Landorus altogether..
>>
File: Carni.png (25KB, 449x331px) Image search: [Google]
Carni.png
25KB, 449x331px
>>31627457
>When people have different teams you should keep things in check to not make the match unbalanced.
pokemon is, by nature, limited. You only have 24 moves, and 6 type match-ups to defend your team, you can't check everything. Like you said, a perfectly crafted team will have some rough match ups, you just need to learn how to get around those when they happen, and these would of course require more effort than normal.

It is impossible to have a perfect balance, certain strategies will be better than others on average, and this results in this strategy becoming used a lot. However, this also makes a counterplay strategy more popular, causing a drop in the original better strategy and an increase in the counterplay strategy's counter, and so on and so forth. This is an always evolving meta, and this is better than a stale average meta, like the gen 4 one was, with the top 10 OU mons having above 20% usage, specially both tyranitar and heatran having fucking 50%.

>You can't fucking add moves or mechanics that easily removes those factors, so you overpower your opponent even further and easier.
what moves are "overpowering"? boosting moves? those have so many ways to be countered, like phazing, stat clearing, unaware walls, or pokemon who don't need to setup. And megas might be overpowering mechanically, but they're also very limited: a lot of pokemon are very easy to predict their megas, generally having one or two sets, and the whole team revolving around them. Furthermore, having the whole team revolve around them means once they're out, the team fragments, so the team itself is on average weaker than non-mega teams. And finally, megas are still pokemon limited by 4 moves and a type, so they can't just own your whole team unless you really suck. You can play around a mega, maybe sacrifice a mon, or simply mindgames with switching, it just requires effort, like battling a well-made team. I don't see how that is a bad thing.
>>
>>31627326
>And please, don't say Z-moves are an issue, nobody but porygon and heatran use z-moves for anything other than gimmicks or memes.

Landorus-Therian with Z-Fly is a gimmick?!
>>
>>31627660
yes
>>
>>31627649
It's ok that you can't have a perfect team to deal with everything. You can work around poor matchups.

The problem is that mechanics like megas, z-moves and the general powercreep makes it harder and harder to do those work arounds.

You argue with Smogon as base, but you have to see that Battle Spot is different. After the first month or so, there's no counterplay anymore, as you can only bring 3 or 4 pokemon, making it much harder to reliably check everything.

A Z-move here, a mega there, an Ultra Beast, and suddenly things gets so oppressive that your only option is to use them yourself and the tools to overpower counterplay gets more and more abundant (and practical).

Hell, Celesteela can beat Magnezone 1 on 1... think about the implications of that. Would you rather risk using a Magnezone that can fail, or simply use Tapu Koko like everyone else?

>what moves are "overpowering"? boosting moves? those have so many ways to be countered, like phazing, stat clearing, unaware walls, or pokemon who don't need to setup.

Those things aren't viable in Battle Spot. Your only real options are to Choice Scarf, priority or Mimikyu.

But overpowering in that sentence means when you lock the opponent into a position where they have no counterplay besides letting their active pokemon die (despite it being healthy).

So you're already dealing with a hard match up, but now you can't even be smart about it as your only resist to a certain type somehow gets 2HKOed by it.

At the risk of making this too long, this is also why I disliked the steel nerf and the addition of fairy types. In BW, the game was already heavily dependant on resists to not get swept in 4 turns - nerfing the basic "glue" and adding yet another type to the mix makes it even easier for you to find yourself without the proper resist to a certain threat.
>>
>>31628000
>You argue with Smogon as base, but you have to see that Battle Spot is different
This is probably my issue, I didn't realize it was as different as it is. Sorry

You're right, in a 3v3 format, these tools become much more powerful and threatening. But this is how power creep works, as GF becomes more aware of how a pokemon becomes good, more pokemon will be better and better as time advances. Maybe some bans could be put in place? the problem is GF only works in absolutes, so they'd ban all sub-legends, including silvally and guzzlord who are not used nearly as often, or all megas, and screw over mega glalie and (eventually) audino who are not remotely as good as the best megas.

I guess this is a result of GF also not caring almost at all about singles, and just focusing on VGC doubles. You might as well give up if you want a balanced and fulfilling 3v3 format, the game is simply not shaping up for that anymore I believe, just play doubles.
>>
>>31625754
the only thing on this list I agree with is the perish song mega gengar in doubles ranked, the protect spam and uturn fuckery was the most bulslshit thing to deal with and now I understand why trapping abilities are banned from OU, not even a gigavolt havoc from my max sp. attack ampharos could save my ass from that thing

everything else is just retarded and you need to get good
>>
Git gud
>>
File: 1461373883569.png (142KB, 401x300px) Image search: [Google]
1461373883569.png
142KB, 401x300px
>>31625754
Only thing that gives in spot singles is m-salamence, m-gyarados, cresselia, cloyster, m-gengar, and xurkitree. But then again I mostly use shitmons, and the teams I made are designed around dealing with as much of this shit as I can using my shitmons.

fuck those japanese who love cresselia
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.