[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anybody else think Game Freak hates every starter introduced

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_0684.png (481KB, 711x400px)
IMG_0684.png
481KB, 711x400px
Does anybody else think Game Freak hates every starter introduced from Gen V onwards not named Greninja? So many of them are plagued by problems like terrible stat distributions, bad movepools or stupid hidden abilities, and then there's the Gen V typing fiasco.
>>
>Does anybody else think

Wow I fucking wonder.
>>
>>31502399
>Gen V onwards
It's always been the same, fampai. Almost all starters are shit.
>>
Most starters have relatively balanced stats, which doesn't work unless a pokemon has a really high BST. They try to avoid min-maxing so that casual players can put Flamethrower on their Incineroar or Earthquake on their Typhlosion, but then the pokemon suffers competitively as a result.
>>
>>31502652
>They try to avoid min-maxing so that casual players can put Flamethrower on their Incineroar or Earthquake on their Typhlosion
I never really noticed but geez, you're right. Weird how Primarina's atk/sp atk stats ended up really min-maxed then
>>
>>31502399
Name one (1) Ninja from a Japanese piece of media that ISN'T the most overpowered option.
>>
>>31502572
This. The only starters that are good are the ones that got bullshit HAs, which is a complete lottery for any pokemon, seed stalling grassfags (Venasaur mostly), and for a long time Blastoise as the least shitty, bulkiest spinner though even that is old news.
Otherwise, Starters are only as good as their HAs or Megas. Torrent Greninja probably wouldn't break UU, if it even got there, and Blaze Blaziken is so bad it hurts. Primarina is honestly the best starter on its own merit across all gens, due to its godlike typing and (relatively) minmaxed stats.

To be fair, shit like Charizard and Swampert seemed better back in the day because the gap between "good" pokemon and "average" pokemon was smaller.
>>
>>31503001
FF1 Ninja was a shit. Literally the second-worst class.
>>
>>31503158
Onion Knight master race breh.
>>
File: 1471329286362.jpg (55KB, 500x480px) Image search: [Google]
1471329286362.jpg
55KB, 500x480px
>>31503187
>Onion Knight
>In FF1
>>
File: PLC_NinjaMaster.png (71KB, 250x283px) Image search: [Google]
PLC_NinjaMaster.png
71KB, 250x283px
>>31503001
Ninjas/Ninja Masters from Ogre Battle 64 were good but no where near as powerful as other late game classes like Paladins or most of the hidden classes
>>
>>31503001
Yugioh.
Ninjas are overwhelmingly sub 1000 Attack shitters with forgettable effects.
>>
benis :)
>>
>>31503001
Disgaea.
Disgaea 1 Ninjas activly dodged healing spells, meaning they had a hard time recovering HP.
Onward, they have weird stats that make them shitty fistfighters, awful users of other weapons, and slightly better mages then your average warrior.
>>
Why does a starter, a pokemon defined by one of three default typings, randomly get to change between any type it wants?
Why is it also getting STAB off those moves, and the accompanying resistance and immunities?
Why does it have every move under the sun?
Why is it so fucking fast?
Why does it still have respectable offences despite this?
Why did it get TWO signature moves?
Why does it ALSO have another ability?
Why did Gengar and Talonflame get nerfs but Greninja was left untouched?
>>
>>31503485
Their high movement and evasion made them pretty good for Item World tho
>>
>>31503529
GF favouritism at its finest.
>>
>>31503143
>the gap between "good" pokemon and "average" pokemon was smaller.

Yeah, today pokémon is shit
>>
>>31502399
Gen V starters got cucked by general power creep, they stayed the same while even early route shitmons weren't as shitty as per tradition. They look weak in a generation with a general BST average comparable to other gens fully evolved BST average. The fact they didn't get any notable utility outside of contrary storm snake (which is kind of a one trick pony) was just the final nail in the coffin.
>>
Greninja is the best.
>>
File: water-shuriken.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
water-shuriken.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>31505748
this

greninja is the true starter of gen 7
>>
>>31503001
Ninjas can occasionally meme something to death in EO3 but you're usually better off with Gladiators or chasers.
>>
>>31503143
Swampert was legit great in gen 3 OU
>>
>>31505725
They've also got a relatively low BST compared to a lot of other starters.
>>
>>31502399
Serperior at least got a good HA compared to most other starters.
>>
>>31502399
>Serperior is great
>Chestnaught was/is UU and was viable in OU 6th gen
Nah, they just hate shitty designs
>>
>>31507502
Not to mention Decidueye and Primarina are UU even without their hidden abilities
>>
>>31507538
It's too bad that Liquid Voice is shit, it hamper's Primarina's ability to jump up a tier when the Alola starters eventually get their HAs. Even Long Reach is better.
>>
>>31503001
i dont remember Edge being good in FF4 compared to others
yuffie isnt a very good character
whats with final fantasy and average ninjas

Also Accelgor and ninjask
>>
>>31502399
Starters have always been shit. You're just looking at Gen 5 onwards because those are the ones you have seen release/aren't clouded by nostalgia.
>>
>>31509310
u didnt play dppt obv
>>
yeah okay but I hate greninja a lot
>terrible design all around
>>
>>31503529
>two signature moves
Did I miss something?
>>
File: END.jpg (499KB, 813x679px) Image search: [Google]
END.jpg
499KB, 813x679px
>>31503187
The fanboy in me wants to smack you.
>>
>>31509353
When it was introduced, Mat Block and Water Shuriken were both exclusive to Greninja, and the other two Kalos starters only got one signature move. Then in ORAS, Cacturne gained Spiny Shield, Mismagius gained Mystical Fire and Accelgor gained Water Shuriken, but Mat Block remained exclusive to Greninja.
>>
>>31509488
Throh can learn Mat Block now. Though it is useless on a Pokemon as slow as that.
>>
>>31509506
Oh yeah, I forgot that it doesn't get priority.
>>
>>31503529
>>31502399
You know, maybe this is just my own favoritism towards Delphox, but I kind of had an idea for a new HA for Greninja to replace Protean while hopefully remaining thematic to it being a ninja, even hopefully keeping it in roughly the same competitive tier as before.

>Fluid Speed
>Any time the user boosts their speed, they gain an equal boost to their evasion.

So, spam agility and get 6 stages of speed and evasion stat, then if you want, use baton pass and listen to MC Hammer.

As long as your opponent doesn't have Keen Eye (which, as I understand, it's a really underused ability) or a 'never-miss' move.
>>
>>31510912
If Ash-Greninja manages to be as viable as Protean Greninja, if not more, this might have a chance. Speaking of Delphox, man I'd love to see it get Competitive or Magic Guard to replace Magician.
>>
>>31503466
Blade armor ninja was a staple in 2013
>>
>>31507502
Chesnaught dropped to beta RU recently
>>
>>31503001
The Ninja jobclass in Final Fantasy Tactics A2 is outclassed by quite a few other job combinations. A Moogle Knight paired with a Summoner and the right skills/items can legit have infinite turn. Bangaa Tricksters can also throw Ultima attacks from 8 tiles away pretty much every turn with the right clan skill aktive.
>>
>>31502408
that's what he was asking
>>
What's up with all the starter flaseflagging today? It's almost like the same person is going around and making these threads.
>>
>>31512076
I've only started one of these threads.
>>
>>31507502
only with hidden ability. just spam leaf storm and s. attack increases like fuck
>>
>>31512146
Too bad it doesn't have access to more things to abuse Contrary with.
>>
Most of the starters have the problem of drastically changing their designs when they evolve until their final form looks absolutely nothing like their first form. Chespin is the worst example of this.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.