[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a friend who keeps talking about how he wants a Pokémon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Kanto and Johto.png (14KB, 362x145px) Image search: [Google]
Kanto and Johto.png
14KB, 362x145px
I have a friend who keeps talking about how he wants a Pokémon game with all regions in it. I know this is a terrible idea, but I'm not sure how to articulate myself and communicate it to him.

Can you guys come up with some points and explanations as to why this is a bad idea? Level scaling is an obvious one but it's apparently not enough by itself.
>>
Level scaling can be countered with "Let's put a new Level cap" though. It already is possible in Emerald and FireRed, even.
>>
>>31480263
Which can be countered with "imposing an arbitrary limitation on the player only removes the necessary freedom of an RPG"
>>
>>31480305
I think anon was talking about placing the level cap above 100.
>>
Do you really have to let him know that it's a terrible idea though?

Just say "yeah sounds pretty cool man, hopefully they make one" and be done with it.
>>
Pokemon Revolution kind of does this.
>>
>>31480243
Level scaling is a legitimate point. Pokemon is an RPG, and progression is an integral part of a fun RPG. The games are balanced to always end at around level 50-60 because that's around the time when the mathematics behind the experience system catches up with you and the game starts slogging horribly. Most sensible RPGs have a system that behaves this way, and we can't change it until we have another massive overhaul like with gen 3.
So there are two solutions here:
1. Ignore it and let the game become a huge slog sometime after you complete a region's worth of content
2. Rebalance the content to be thinner that usual for every region (gen 2 went with this solution, that's why the johto e4 was 40-50 in levels instead of the usual 50-60)
Just why would we want a bigger map then?
Just making the game world bigger doesn't make a necessarily better game, usually it makes it a shallower game.
>>
>>31480305
>>31480490
^ This. Bringing the examples back, the code made for the GBA Games puts the new cap at Lv200, that brings plenty of room for content.
>>
>>31480648
Also, even if you want to separate this game from the mainline games and use whatever system, the reason why sensible RPGs have this kind of leveling system is because they're balanced for a certain amount of playtime.
It's nice if hundreds of hours of content is optional in a game, but games that REQUIRE a large time investment just to beat them are intimidating and usually tedious.
>>
>>31480263
theres a way to get over lvl 100 in firered and emerald? i don't think so.
>>
>>31480923
There's a way to have the entire gen VI battle engine in emerald, going over level 100 is trivial in comparison.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.