[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Explain to me why I should invest my EVs into HP instead of either

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: ZYGARDE V HOOPA.png (2MB, 1280x878px) Image search: [Google]
ZYGARDE V HOOPA.png
2MB, 1280x878px
Explain to me why I should invest my EVs into HP instead of either of the defenses, please. I always thought that if you had higher defense, you could tank physical attacks better then with just HP investment. Same with Special.
>>
>>31464606
Hp is better overall, defences are usually saved for dedicated walls only
>>
>>31464606
When there's more HP, you take hits better from both physical and special at the same time. Investing it into one stat makes you vulnerable to the other.
>>
>>31464606
>Invest in HP
>take more damage from both Physical and Special attacks

>Invest in one of the defensive stats
>remain vulnerable to the other

You're pretty dense if you couldn't figure that out on your own.
>>
>>31464606
Rules on defensive EV allocations:

>Are its defenses drastically higher than it's HP?
Invest on HP FIRST so those "good" defenses would actually put into work. Skarmory's colossal defense wouldn't mean jack if it lacks the health to keep it alive. Otherwise mons like Shedinja wouldn't die to a breeze.
>Are its HP drastically higher than it's defenses?
If your stuff like Guzzlord or Hairyama, HP investment is redundant and would be better if you invest on the defenses instead. They would be as equal as a mon with good base defenses but poor HP.

Hope this helps
>>
def/sp.def is like armor while hp is health.

252 def is stronger than
126def+126hp
>>
>>31464606
HP is often more important.

Look at shuckle for example. You would think with it would be good to invest in its defenses right? However those defenses will be meaning less as with less health it's defenses won't be enough against super effective attacks. Because of this shuckle with 252 in hp, despite its base hp being 20, is bulkier then a shukle with both its defenses maxed.
>>
>>31464606
>investing hp into Hoopa
>>
>>31464606
Cause formula. The defense point is just shit in. Better go bulky with HP.
>>
>>31464606
It depends, your effective defense is your hp * defense. If you only care about maximizing bulk from one attacking side increase which stat is lower. However Increasing bulk from both attacking sides is often more useful.
>>
So let's say I have a Shuckle with perfect IVs. Would it be viable to max out SP. DEF and HP, and then have it know Iron Defense to max its DEF out in battle?
>>
% Damage will do X% regardless of Defense or HP
n Damage moves will always do n Damage regardless of defense or HP. But if you have higher HP that n Damage will be a lower percentage of the overall HP.
>>
>>31464945

This

Shell bell and leftovers will heal higher numbers too if you have higher health since it's percentage based, so it becomes easier to attrition if you are tanky
>>
>>31465094
This basically.
>>
>>31464606
The rule isn't to arbitrarily pick a stat to put EVs into. Too many people just do shit like running 252 HP/128 Def/128 Sp. Def on their umbreon or whatever because they can't be bothered to think about what the EVs are for. You need to figure out what this pokemon needs to tank in order to avoid an OHKO or 2HKO or whatever.

For example, these are what Smogon has to say about Ferrothorn's EV spreads:

>The given EV spread with a Relaxed nature lets Ferrothorn fare well against both physically and specially oriented opponents. 168 Special Defense EVs give Ferrothorn enough special bulk to survive two Ice Beams from +3 Manaphy
>a more physically defensive spread is 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD avoids the 2HKO from Adamant Life Orb Excadrill after Stealth Rock damage.

The latter is rarer, but you get the idea
>>
>>31464606
HP investment makes it so you can take more hits from both sides instead of being lopsided in one stat. Its a necessity investment on tanks that have some form of draining move like Chesnaught or Buzzwole.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.