[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What makes up Lillie as a character? I didn't find her

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

What makes up Lillie as a character?

I didn't find her unpleasant but she has appeared so bland/generic and it felt like Nebby has had more personality than her

Are there any reasons why people like her asides from her exterior and liking the MC. Is there something I'm missing?

she is literally Nia from Gurren Lagann
>>
>>31422864
I want to add I feel Gladion and other characters are good but the focus is around Lillie who has nothing that special about her.

Her brother does everything she does but better/more useful
>>
>>31422864
Quiet blonde waif who becomes stronger willed as time goes by. Throw in the possibility of abuse from her mom. That's essentially what makes her tick.

A lot of her flaws get covered up because muh pure blonde waifu but I like to think that as time goes by people won't be as blinded by it
>>
>>31422876
>tfw no cool adventures with Gladion and his man-made death dog
>instead you get to watch Lillie do absolutely nothing
>>
I just feel like she's less interesting than N, doesn't help that both their parents are the leaders of the evil organisations.
>>
>>31422881
>Throw in the possibility of abuse
That was already done 6 years ago in a Pokémon game too

N had a cool dynamic of being an antagonist though but still "pure of heart"
>>
I don't know if it would help, but they should have had a moment where she borrows(at least) one of your Pokemon and battles with you, either in Poni Canyon or Ultra Space.
>>
>Nebby has had more personality than her

That's the point, anon. She's the straight man and nebby is the gag character. They contrast one another.

That's, like, basic writing, anon.
>>
>>31422989
But that's so one dimensional
>>
She's all moe-moe and sucks up to the MC and has any development at all so that means she's good
>>
Lillie is the first thing you, running from Aether Foundation for some reason. When you meet her, she is need of help, and you see just how weak she was. She also seems like a very sheltered and kind of weird girl. Then for a while, you get to know her and get more accustomed to her character. She has a likeable personality, so it isn't hard to get attached to her. I see people complaining about her being a moeblob, but really, dhe's pretty human.

Later on, It turns out that the Aether Foundation she was running from is actually lead by her own mother, who has gone sort of crazy. You get to know her past, how she was treated by her mother and why she ran away, and her personality makes a lot more sense now. She was also controlling, and that has lead to Lillie being incapable doing things on her own, making decisions on her own and just having overall low self confidence. Her personality is a direct result of what she experienced in past, and her goals also stem from that. This is also a great thing, and something a lot of characters in general lack.

As she continues to travel with you, and now you know why, she meets a lot of characters, gets to know them and learns from them to get stronger as a character. She builds up more confidence and with the outfit change, she takes the first step towards actually being free. She then goes on to confront the her mother for the first time, all with mostly the help of one person whom she randomly met.

By the end of it all, she's strong enough to leave for a journey, all on her own, to save that very same mother of hers. The Pokemon she fought for, she give recognizes it has also grown like her, and gives it complete freedom to whatever it wants.

To me, this is a great character. As I said in the beginning, she feels human. I relate to her and easily understand what she's going through. People call her generic, though I've yet to seen anyone even similar to this. I hate it that she gets that simply because she looks cute.
>>
>>31423079
>she feels human

I kinda disagree. Her past seemed interesting and all, but we don't ever see her struggle and everyone instantly likes her.

I understand the symbolism of changing clothes, but she's already harshly defied her mother when she stole Nebby so it's like, what's the point. How does she add to confronting Lumasine

I guess the message of this story is how you can rely on others but I don't see the MC ever getting help from anyone else. They are just always there

But I like your write up
>>
>>31423206
Personally, I liked like Lillie's personality enough that it was easy for me to sympathies with her, even without knowing the full details of her childhood. It would add more, as right now, EXACTLY what happened is still pretty ambiguous, which might make it harder to sympathize with the character, especially if you don't like her.

The second part is something I have disagree on. When she ran away, she not only just, well, ran away, but she also failed at even that, and Nebby was the one who got them out. It's like having Mega Fug attack your home and start destroying thing, but instead of confronting him, you just take your stuff and run away. Anyone can do that, no matter how weak.
>>
File: 60066795_p1.png (1MB, 1320x960px) Image search: [Google]
60066795_p1.png
1MB, 1320x960px
Lillie starts out as a timid girl who's spent much of her life so far under her mom's oppressive parenting (after Mohn disappeared), to the point that she's never chosen her own outfit and only wears the space jellyfish costume her mom forced her into. She displays a distaste for Pokemon battles because she doesn't like seeing Pokemon getting hurt. She's also on the run from Aether, and by extension Lusamine, after kidnapping the cosmic turd that was presumably being/about to be tortured in order to open Ultra Wormholes, which is the point where Lillie's distaste for seeing Pokemon getting hurt outweighs her subservience to her mom.

Once on the run, Lillie's still pretty defenseless, not wanting to be a Trainer because Pokemon will get hurt, and being under Kukui's protection can only do so much. Then you show up, all confident and willing to risk your life for the cosmic turd even without a Pokemon yet, and at this point Lillie begins to actually travel. She gradually warms up to the idea of battling despite her misgivings; she buys her own outfit and eventually changes into it after shit hits the fan; she gets inspired by your Trainer-ness and tries to emulate it (though not becoming a Trainer herself until the ending, when it no longer matters); she helps to turn the cosmic turd into a legend; and she gets the courage to tell her mom off.

That tl;dr said, there are certainly valid complaints about Lillie's role and progression. The gap between "Maybe battles aren't so bad" and "You know what, I can actually be a Trainer" is frustratingly large, for one, and I get that.
>>
>>31422989
You're right. Its incredibly basic.
>>
>>31423206

To me, her changing her clothes was more impressive than stealing away with Nebby. The latter she did because she didn't want to see someone else get hurt, whereas the former example of defiance was more or less her saying "I am my own person now and this is how I choose to express myself".
>>
>>31423312
Yes but did she know Nebby could teleport?
>>
>>31423079
Not only are many people similar to her, we literally have people within this franchise who are similar to her.

A child of a person running the evil them who was sheltered and has an attachment to you for opening them up to another world view?

Literally N.

She also doesn't feel particularly interee, as the game thinks repetition and spending a lot of time on something makes it good, so we get whole cutscenes that is just her saying good luck, and a Nebby Bag scene literally every time we see her do anything. Its just not interesting.

Not to mention, unlike N, they took away all the buildup by making you see her running from Aether in the very beginning.
>>
Lillie made me feel empty by the end of the game. Maybe because I didn't want to see someone who I teased throughout Vast Poni Canyon leave so soon.
>>
>>31423016

>Lillie is shit and water is digestible.
>>
>>31423480
>Not to mention, unlike N, they took away all the buildup by making you see her running from Aether in the very beginning.

That was so stupid because she knew about Aether but said absolutely nothing even when she knew you would be going there.
>>
File: 011.jpg (30KB, 555x644px) Image search: [Google]
011.jpg
30KB, 555x644px
>>31422864
>Is there something I'm missing?

Japanese otaku really want to fuck a white girl. Gaming in japan is literally on life support so pretty much every game that is released nowadays has some form of pandering to that audience within.
>>
>>31423690
What does she gain from keeping that info from you?
>>
File: carlos.jpg (17KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
carlos.jpg
17KB, 210x240px
>>31423016
Don't you mean ULTRA dimensional?
>>
>>31422864
at least nia has a canon boyfriend that she cares about.

also unlike lillie, she dies
>>
OP, she doesn't have a personality and that's fine. Girls in games shouldn't have one anyway. The only thing that matters is their usefulness and design - if you like a girl, even IRL, for more than her looks you're pretty gay. Liking a personality is for friendship, anyway.
>>
File: 60156202_p0.jpg (104KB, 768x589px) Image search: [Google]
60156202_p0.jpg
104KB, 768x589px
>>31423480
There are certainly parallels between N and Lillie, but N's advantages in the less-annoying contest are clear. Ghetsis intentionally raised N to be the way he was, giving him motivation towards a clear goal: "Humans treat Pokemon like shit, so I'll liberate them from those assholes!" Regardless of how Ghetsis was pulling the strings in the background, N had plenty of agency in his plot, which was entirely necessary, given that he was an antagonist and all. The fact that, as an antagonist, he could only show up sparingly meant both that his appearances seemed more important, and also that players were less likely to dislike him for being shoved in their faces (though disliking him for being a wimpy hippy was fair game).

The strikes against Lillie are that she doesn't have much of a clear goal, only hoping to keep Nebby safe and eventually get her mom to stop being such a bitch, and her story is predicated on her lack of agency that isn't solved until the story's already over. So in that sense, Lillie has a terrible combination of traits: she can't do much of consequence on her own - the best she does is give herself up to Plumeria to protect her friends - yet she's a constant companion with loads of screentime. So if you don't like her, she's little more than a useless tagalong that needs you to actually do anything; while that role is intended to make sure the player still has a game to play, that's never stopped people from getting annoyed by it in other games.
>>
Is there anything cool about Lillie's design asides from the UB look alike aspect? Or quirks in game?

N really had a few things going for him and his design with the fact he looked like a Protagonist with his hat.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.