[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why all the hate for R/S/E? Why so little love for a game that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 13

File: genthreebra.jpg (31KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
genthreebra.jpg
31KB, 480x320px
Why all the hate for R/S/E? Why so little love for a game that brought some pretty neat additions to the franchise?
>>
>>31411277
Natures were a cancerous mistake that ruined pokemon.
>>
>>31411277
ORAS/Emerald >> RS
RS were pretty shit.
>>
>>31411288
and so were you
>>
I feel like the jump between GSC and RSE bigger than any other jump, most of it due to the PC Storage changes
>>
>>31411277
It created a bunch of autistic fags that took blood sport way more seriously
>>
I thought the beauty pageants were a fun little twist to the movesets and gave a new value to otherwise worthless pokemon

The running shoes were much needed.

Sadly the day/night cycle was excluded, but alternating weather conditions were great. Also farming for stuff was addictive

Pimping your crib was neat. Kindof under-cooked though to be honest

That long-ass water part was intense. And diving made travel more interesting.
>>
>>31411277
10/10
>>
File: 1482516826943.jpg (65KB, 770x702px) Image search: [Google]
1482516826943.jpg
65KB, 770x702px
>>31411288
Thank you. Every fucking time I see an oldfag pick up new Pokemon games, they will eventually ask / find out about natures. Every fucking time you can see the disappointment on their faces when they find out their team was irreversibly fucked from the start. This is where they drop the game and go back to doing other shit.

EVs can be fixed. IVs can finally be fixed. Natures fuck up a Pokemon forever.

Fuck gen 3 from the bottom of my junk shiny box.
>>
>>31411489
I thought you could change natures of a Pokemon with another Pokemon that has synthesis?

Or just inject it, if you're that anal about perfect stats then you might as well
>>
>>31411624
You can ensure a wild Pokemon has a certain nature with Synchronize.
>>
>>31411288
Not really. You can play through every game easily while ignoring natures. It only really affects breeders and competitive.
>>
>>31411705
>ensure
50% chance bucko
>>
>>31411277
If you played it back then it pretty much cut you off from most of the gen 1 and 2 Pokemon and also removed day and night. Play it years later when you give less of a shit about those things and you probably end up enjoying it more. Regardless I still think RSE are objective improvements over gen 1 and 2
>>
I have to agree, the leap between GSC and RSE was the largest. It was a good thing desu, I feel like it addrd more life and colour to Pokemon (obviously since it made the handheld console jump, but you get the point).
>>
File: mistake.jpg (21KB, 318x159px) Image search: [Google]
mistake.jpg
21KB, 318x159px
>>31411277
Because I worked hard on GSC and not letting me transfer, while understandable, is lame. Also, omitting more than 150 mons from the previous generation to remake red and blue was a mistake. I would have happily taken GSC's graphics in order to bring the old regions back in this game. The IV system introduced here still sucks, though natures, EVs and abilities are fine.

Overall, it's still alright but Gen 3 has always been a misstep.
>>
>>31411288
>Not allowing players to change natures was a cancerous mistake that ruined pokemon.
FTFY.
>>
>No backwards compatibility
>No way to catch them all meaning some of your favorites might not be available
>Removal of Day and Night
>Removal of week days and daily events
>Removal of Radio and Phone features
>Evil teams had absolutely ridiculous goals
>Abilities made some pokemon way more annoying to deal with
>Heavy focus on legendaries in the story
>Water
>Trumpets
>The only things you can explore are the water routes which are a whole lot of nothing
>Some events would never happen but you had no way of knowing that
>Regi puzzle is cryptic bullshit no kid would know about
>No postgame area
>No supertrainer like Red
>Battle Tower only has lvl 50 and lvl 100 options
>Some areas like the Safari Zone require a pokeblock case and getting it wasn't exactly obvious.
>Feebas being stupidly difficult to find and evolve
>Rock Smash is an HM
>Punished players who wanted to use the pokemon caught in the hot areas by adding a ton of much better water types later on
>diving was underwhelming, you moved at snails pace and had only 3 variations of pokemon
Emerald eventually tried to fix this mess but RS are probably the worst games in the series.
>>
>>31411489
IVs were a much bigger fuck you and only JUST got fixed.

Natures are no big deal. It's not hard to get the right nature. And if you're so bothered by the fact that the specific pokemon you caught first won't be perfect because of its nature, and are too attached to it to switch to another of the same species, you have bigger problems (like autism)
>>
>>31413675
Why is that a bad thing? At least its better than they just get shoehorned in randomly right at the end without making much sense
>>
>>31413744
And it was the generation that introduced that idea, so it was fresh, until ever gen since just ripped it off.
>>
>>31411277
It was the last one I played as a child, I got through all three games and had fun each time.

I'm sure I have massive nostalgia goggles but it's probably always going to be my favorite, just hearing Hoenn music makes me feel good inside.
>>
>>31413744
>>31413766
Powerful Ancient creatures of legend being hidden away in the middle of bumfuck nowhere in a cave is way fresher than "gay cult tries to conquer/destroy the world using legendary pokemon" . Specially since now they downright force you to catch some legendaries.
>>
>>31413841
Yeah I didn't like that catching Nebby was necessary to advance to the league.

I get it that it was to close the story of your forced waifu but still, it's a fucking legendary, capturing him should be an optional challenge, not a requirement.
>>
>>31411489

>remove IVs
>change EVs so that you manually add stat points to a monster every time they level up
>natures only matter for contest/Amie/minigame crap

There, I fixed Pokemon.
>>
File: 1472143008663.png (133KB, 873x623px) Image search: [Google]
1472143008663.png
133KB, 873x623px
>>31413675
This is a big one.
>>
File: 1482531987332.png (24KB, 671x679px) Image search: [Google]
1482531987332.png
24KB, 671x679px
>>31413988
dumb fishposter
>>
>>31413675
>how to tell someone started playing pokemon post gen3
>>
>>31411277
it has the worst fans for the whole series.

the term "genwunner" came from them and was used to describe the majority of pokemon fans.
>>
>>31411288
this. also no fun surprise at end game.
>>
>>31414021
>le_strawman_comic.jpg
Reddit's that way, bub
>>>/r/eddit
>>
>>31414062
I started playing gen 1.
>>
Was the incompatibility with Gen II because it was impossible to do or because GF wanted to start from a blank slate? It isn't a big deal now, but I remember this being a dealbreaker for a lot of people back then.
>>
>>31414083
>Fishposter telling anyone to go to Reddit
Hilarious.
>>
>>31414021
Have you ever made a game?
Have you actually considered what the term "removed" implies?
Are you more right because you posted some smug still black and white verbose counter meme to defend your post from being portrayed as something that it isn't?
I'll give you a hint: Check "No" on the "Am I intelligent?" question, too.
>>
File: stupidape.png (133KB, 313x382px) Image search: [Google]
stupidape.png
133KB, 313x382px
>>31414107
I'm >>31414118, not the one you replied to.
>>
>>31414091
I started playing gen 1 and I figured out regis

kids have all the time in the world. regis were actually cool because they took effort. they were made to feel that much more special and secret

compare that to a legendary that's shoved in your face by your designated waifu
>>
>>31414118
*portrayed as something that it actually is
woop I should go to bed
>>
>>31414091
>didn't read the manual
I learned braille from that thing
>>
>>31413675
emerald has one. and the real reason red exists is because he's the pokemon league of the 8 additional gyms
>>
File: untitled.jpg (107KB, 694x800px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.jpg
107KB, 694x800px
>>31414118
Yes
Yes
Yes
You made 0 arguments in your post, you posted your gay little meme picture and I stooped down as low as you by posting a shitty ms paint comic. If you wanted a serious response you'd have posted an actually good post instead of the modern equivalent of NO U macros or U MAD? macros.
Until then have another shitty macro.
>>
>>31414178
Like the post said, Emerald fixed a lot of the stuff RS fucked up with.
>>31414155
I had lost my manual at the time and so did a lot of kids I knew at the time. I eventually found the Regis using the internet but if you had to rely on in game hints you were fucked. Relying on the manual was kind of acceptable in the NES era where you had limited space to dump info but in the GBA era it's fucking stupid to do so.
Also yeah I do agree that's infinitely better than the forced legendaries we get nowadays but still it'd have been as cryptic and adventurous if you had all the braile parts in fuckin English and you still had to do the cryptic shit it told you to do to spawn the Regis.
>>
>>31414202
What's your game, hopoo?
Removed implies it was there in the first place, which most people misuse as saying OR/AS removed Safari Zone/Battle Frontier when it wasn't even being developed ever.
>>
>>31413675
>No backwards compatibility
Because the system was completely reworked, RSE is the basis of all future pokemon games. S/M still has no backward capability by the way. And when it does have it, you have to pay for it.
>No way to catch them all meaning some of your favorites might not be available
Fixed with FR/LG. Every generation since then has done this, the only difference is that they get to have backwards capability because RSE already solidified the basic stats of pokemon. Again S/M doesn't have this yet.
>Removal of Day and Night
Day/Night is a gimmick that makes thing harder to obtain.
>Removal of week days
Week days are a gimmick that makes things harder to obtain
>Removal of daily events
Nope. http://serebii.net/rubysapphire/dailyevents.shtml
>Removal of Radio and Phone features
Gimmicks that do nothing. Still had a way to rebattle trainers, one of the better games on this front.
>Evil teams had absolutely ridiculous goals
Not really any worse than "take over the world". Just more idealistic and interesting. If you set "level of ridiculousness" as the sole criteria for how good a team is then you may as well have rocket forever because people always want money.
>Abilities made some pokemon way more annoying to deal with
Abilities made pokemon more interesting.
So?
>Water
So?
>Trumpets
Meme that adults made well after the fact. Kids didn't care.
>The only things you can explore are the water routes which are a whole lot of nothing
No, because some of the routes are massive and they have little alcoves all over the place for secret bases. Especially the huge mass of routes before the sea routes begin.
Oh no, a legendary that isn't given to you.
>No postgame area
GSC only has a postgame area because Johto is so sort and anemic. And then Kanto is even worse. Hoenn alone is the equivalent of GSC's Kanto and Johto.
>>
File: Ultra beast.jpg (83KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Ultra beast.jpg
83KB, 960x720px
>>31411489

this so much, its not a big deal in the endgame when you have good nature dittos and everstones, but its a nightmare when you are on a normal playthrough

>gold / silver
>oh boy a heracross!
>catch it and move on with my life

>new gen
>oh boy a wild stufful!
>trash nature
>want to use it but dont feel like getting a good nature mon to breed then hatch eggs then start it from level 1 THEN wait for it to be fluffy instead of the other trash ability.
>even if I breed it its pretty likely it will have trash IVs anyways
>repeat this for every wild mon I catch thorough the entire game.

Its one of those things that 90% of the time fucks you up whenever you catch a new mon that gives me autism.
>>
>>31413675
Instead you get a league that isn't heavily underlevelled.
>Battle Tower only has lvl 50 and lvl 100 options
So...? Level 50 and level 100 battles have been a basis for all future games. Who gives a fuck if you don't have a specific level 70 mode.
>Some areas like the Safari Zone require a pokeblock case and getting it wasn't exactly obvious.
Oh no, an item that isn't forced upon you by a handholding cutscene.
>Feebas being stupidly difficult to find and evolve
One pokemon. And it's still stupidly difficult to find and evolve in gen DPPt.
>Rock Smash is an HM
So? HMs in general are bad and RS didn't do that.
>Punished players who wanted to use the pokemon caught in the hot areas by adding a ton of much better water types later on
Literally complaining that you can catch fire/ground types that are weak to water. Try having more than two pokemon on your team. Did you miss the fuckton of grass pokemon? This is by far the most retarded complaint.
>diving was underwhelming, you moved at snails pace and had only 3 variations of pokemon
At least it had diving.
>>
>>31414316
Actually, weren't week days a thing in R/S? I recall you could only get the slide or something on like friday
Anyway just wait for him to slam you for saying "So?" because of his subjective opinion.
>>31414341
Only your fault for letting 10% meme which has less impact than IVs/DVs, which were in 2nd gen mind you, in the actual growth.
>>
>>31414276
Removed from the previous entries which were adding on content, you underaged retard.
>>31414316
See? This is a good post, he dismantles my arguments one by one. Much better than your shitty fish picture. I'll respond in a minute.
>>
>>31413352
This and this >>31413675
>>
>>31414392
Not removed, just never carried over or you know, not developed. Now, where's your game?
>this is a good post
Yeah I agree, but you wouldn't be responding positively if I didn't make that joke you slamming "So?". Now I wouldn't be surprised if you're just disregarding that because most if it renders your points moot. It's just an inconvenience for you.
Anyway if it wasn't that late for me I would have made that kind of post, instead of just making a bland summary of your post.
>>
I know that "muh trumpets" is overdone and all, but honestly and truly I had no idea what to make of the RS music and audio when I first got the game. I genuinely thought that the GBA's sound capabilities were somehow inferior to the GBC's, and played most of the game with the sound off. It just sounded shrill and awful to me. It wasn't until I bought a second GBA game, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, that I realized that, hey, it wasn't the GBA's fault - RS's sound quality and instruments just fucking sucked.

The removal of a bunch of GSC's introduced features was probably the biggest disappointment for me - I loved the day/night cycle, different things happening on different days of the week, the portable radio, the phone system (Joey and his Rattata notwithstanding), and so on, and I felt that the new Gen 3 features (Contests, Abilities, Running Shoes, shit like that) didn't even begin to make up for it.

Also I was sore about no backwards compatibility, and wondered whether Game Freak was seriously intending to retcon whatever wasn't in RS out of existence. This isn't a valid complaint anymore, but it probably contributed to the subconscious ill will I still have towards Gen 3 in general.

That said, the new Pokemon were nice, and I honestly never noticed the excessive water until /vp/ pointed it out to me. I played Emerald for the first time a few years ago and felt like it had fixed most of RS's problems (horrid music quality notwithstanding), especially since the pain of having to leave my GSC team behind has faded a bit. That answer your question, OP?
>>
>>31414664
>the SC-88 sucked
Opinionated teebeeaych
>>
>>31411288
/thread
>>
>>31411277
It's region is average at best but it has one of the worst regional dexes in the series. It's almost criminally bland with your team options.
>>
File: 1476483141696.png (60KB, 368x246px) Image search: [Google]
1476483141696.png
60KB, 368x246px
>>31411288
>>31411372
>>31413352
>>31413675
>>31414664

I have a vague feeling most of these complaints came later when you grew the fuck up and decided to complain about a fucking game that made general improvements and pretty far advances in terms of graphics and exploration.

Fucking genwunners
>>
>>31411277
>neat additions
Adding even more grinding and autism to the series was so neat.
>>
>>31411733
Good look climbing the Battle Tower with your Sassy Blaziken.

Hell, this shit even ruined sidegames like XD. Orre Colosseum was already hard with properly trained Pokemon, it's nightmare with your ingame team of shitmons with no EV training, no correct natures and crappy IVs.
>>
>>31416918
I meant everything I said in >>31414664. After I beat Sapphire I gave it to my little brother and washed my hands of the franchise; it wasn't until 2008 that I picked it up again (as I had made some money that summer and decided on a whim to buy a DS + Diamond).

Honestly, Emerald wasn't bad, and when I played that after I grew the fuck up, I ended up deciding that Gen 3 wasn't the absolute shitshow I remembered it as.
>>
File: 1470938189149.jpg (41KB, 615x346px) Image search: [Google]
1470938189149.jpg
41KB, 615x346px
Replaying Emerald and why the fuck do people suck its dick over RS so much?

Match call is like the phone in GSC but even MORE annoying since you're forced to register niggas. At least in HGSS you can completely ignore the phone ringing, and in GSC you can delete everyone who annoys you from your phone, but in emerald you just can't get away from assholes wanting to talk about their fucking Pokemon. And the worst part is that RS had a BETTER FUCKING SYSTEM that didn't require you to get harassed by assholes. The fuck, game?
>>
>>31411372
>kindof

This is the fifth time today that I've seen this misspelling. Is it a new meme? Is it the new "alot"
>>
>>31416918
People I know who dropped the series due to not being able to keep their original pokemon

I'm the only brother in my family who stayed with the series

How pissed would you be if you couldn't transfer up from gen 6 to 7
>>
>>31416877
t: sinnohfetus
People only hate the remake because it didn't have a battle frontier
People who hate gen 3 have no taste at all and generally just meme about too much water and trumpets despite it having one of the best OSTs out of pokemon.
>>
>>31417360
t. Hoennbaby

I like Emerald fine, but Hoenn has one of the shittiest dexes in the series and that's a fact. Also I said nothing about the remakes if you actually read my post.
>>
>>31416918
Other way around, people complained about them when they first released and never decided to take a step back and look at the game without nostalgia holding them back.

That's what I did and I enjoyed it a lot more.
>>
>>31416877
>Hoenn
>average at best
Hoenn has one of the best regions in the series. It's an example of what to do right.
>lots of optional exploration
>has some nonlinear gameplay
>level curve is fantastic and fair
>more things to do instead of just battle
>>
>>31418319
It's not for me, I suppose, but I like it enough. I suppose my main gripe is the bland choices for a team which drags it down for me anyway.
>>
things added in gen 1: pokemon

things added in gen 2: breeding, genders, male and female protags, night day cycle, animated sprites, held items, weather, shinies, berries, apricorn balls, DARK and STEEL types, friendship, pokerus

things added in gen 3: natures, abilities, double battles

things removed in gen 3: animated pokemon sprites, apricorn balls, night day cycle

things added in gen 4: physical special split
>>
>>31411288
natures exist so that every pokemon of the same species doesn't feel the same if it's at the same level. ivs do the same thing and damage is partially randomised. finding a rare pokemon or a particularly strong pokemon is supposed to be fortuitous, not tedious. the problem is that you can't compete unless you have max ivs and a helpful nature so what the game should do is just max out your pokemon's stats when you battle online or with a friend or even adjust the levels so all the pokemon are similar strengths.
>>
>>31418517
>animated pokemon sprites
>what is emerald
>apricorn balls
>implying this is a big deal
>night day cycle
>implying this is a big deal nowadays
>>
>>31418732
>night day cycle not a big deal
(you)
>>
File: 1260426538364.jpg (1MB, 2036x3044px) Image search: [Google]
1260426538364.jpg
1MB, 2036x3044px
>>31411277
I heard gen 3 had nearly an entire time of different people and onward making the games after gen 3. Pokemon was actually meant to end after the first movie and after the 2nd gen game but they underestimated it's popularity so they decided to keep going after gen 2.

It's kinda sad really, the series could have been a lot better and contained itself if it had an early death.
>>
>>31414341
>but its a nightmare when you are on a normal playthrough
>giving a shit about natures in fucking story mode
dude I swept the E4 in XY with half a team of shitmons with mismatched natures and 0 IVs, if you're getting fucked that badly that a maximum 10% increase/decrease in the wrong stats at a high level is making a difference I've got bad news for you, you're just shit at these games
>>
>>31417360
RS had less obtainable Pokemon than GS.

Just know your place dude. Your gen is pathetic and you know it.
>>
>>31419667

Then it would just be like DBZ, remaking the same shit for fifteen years after its death
>>
>>31419769
Better than having 800 Pokemon, 500 of them looking like garbage and a gameplay so autistic that it scared away half of its playerbase.
>>
>>31418517
Gen3 also had the first wireless trading.

Just face it, gen 3 had the best additions to the game
>>
>>31416987
>Hell, this shit even ruined sidegames like XD. Orre Colosseum was already hard with properly trained Pokemon, it's nightmare with your ingame team of shitmons with no EV training, no correct natures and crappy IVs
What the fuck? I did Mt. Battle with a team of 6 shitmons before I even knew about correct natures and EVs/IVs. How fucking bad do you have to be at these games?
>>
>>31420115
I'm talking about Orre Colosseum my friend, not the story mode Mount Battle that you grind for levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1PZqmRPkzI
>>
>>31420115
It's one of those retards who uses Ampharos with 4 electric moves, and then delete the super useful Heal Bell(XD exclusive move)

They're just imbeciles. They can't help it.
>>
>>31420137
Literally no difference
Git gud
>>
>>31411288
Low quality bait
>>
>>31420153
That's as stupid as saying that there's no difference between the Maison and the Chateau.

Please don't talk about things you've never played.
>>
>>31420137
>Hey everyb-
fuck off and post actual good footage
>>
How the fuck does that moving truck even get to that bumfuck town the whole way is full of ledges and tall grass.
>>
>>31411489
The series is easy enough to where natures don't even matter most of the time.
>>
>>31413675
>>Regi puzzle is cryptic bullshit no kid would know about

Only if you didn't read the closed instruction booklet.
>>
>>31413675
>>No postgame area

If you have no idea what postgame is.
>>
>>31418248
>that's a fact

No that is not a fact. That is your opinion. Underage not allowed.
>>
File: RSE_Pok%C3%A9dex.png (6KB, 145x168px) Image search: [Google]
RSE_Pok%C3%A9dex.png
6KB, 145x168px
>>31418348

>Gyarados
>Ludicolo
>Aggron
>Metagross
>Sceptile/Blaziken/Swampert
>Shiftry
>Gardevoir
>Breloom
>Alakazam
>Crobat
>Tentacruel
>Machamp

Can you tell me what you found so bland about each of these Pokemon that you'd label the choices of Pokemon that Hoenn offers you bland?
>>
>>31420153
Bruh, there's a huge difference between Orre Colosseum and Mt. Battle. Enemy Pokemon are EV trained and have near perfect IVs in the Orre Colosseum. On top of all that they have blatant strategies.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57303795/OrreColosseum.txt
>>
>>31411288
That's a weird way to spell "Z-Moves and Mega Evolutions".
>>
>>31422050
i do think the evil teams needed more pokemon
but thats a gripe with all games
evil teams are just a joke
>>
>>31416918
A ton of those complaints I had as kids. Not being able to trade by GSC Pokemon up was definitely the biggest disappointment. I also remember being disappointed they didn't keep old regions, I thought it Pokemon would be a series where the world constantly expanded with each entry after GSC.

On the other hand, I really didn't give a fuck about natures as a kid. I just thought they were a cute little thing to make you imagine how your Pokemon acts.

FTR I still played the shit out of the game and loved it, but a lot of these complaints are definitely things kids would notice.
>>
>>31416918
its funnier cause its true
Thread posts: 94
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.