[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How drastically would the meta change if, in say Gen 8, they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 908.jpg (125KB, 300x444px) Image search: [Google]
908.jpg
125KB, 300x444px
How drastically would the meta change if, in say Gen 8, they introduced a fifth move slot for pokemon?

Would this be a beneficial or detrimental development overall?
Would it increase the variety of builds we see, or make everything too samey and predictable?
>>
>>31360997
i can imagine a bunch of mons that'd need a certain 4-way combination of moves to be viable get a fifth move to increase their anti-type range
>>
Many support pokemon would be much harder to wall. RestTalk would become much more widespread. Assault Vest would be an even harder sell. Flareon and Serperior would notice no change.
>>
>>31362267
>serperior
Nigga what. Now you can carry both dragon pulse and hp fire in the subleech set, or taunt and synthesis on the sweeper set for better stallbreaking.
>>
>>31362267
Serperior has always had 4MSS though. The first two spots are always taken up by leaf storm and hp fire, while you have to choose between dragon pulse, giga drain, substitute, leech seed, glare, synthesis or taunt for the last two.
>>
>>31360997
I don't know why they didn't add an additional move set for HMs.
>>
They should make moves cost a certain amount of points, and have a point limit instead of a move limit. So you could have 4 "strong" moves, or 3 strong moves and 2 "weaker" moves, or 8 weak moves, etc.
>>
>>31360997
I could see pokemon having 7 moves instead of 4. Just have 4 moves and 3 reserve moves that can only be accessed if a Pokémon holds a certain item.
>>
>>31362873
This is a good idea. I had a similar idea in my head as well. Yours is more organized, though.
>>
>>31360997
It would be especially good for Sweepers. Stuff like Megagross and Zard X can now carry more things.
>>
>>31360997
how about a typical turn-based RPG movepool?
-attack (something unspectacular, such as tackle/punch or using the natural weapons of the pokemon directly)
-technique (up to x amount of more fleshed out physical attacks)
-special (what it says on the tin)
-power (megas/ z-moves)

with the right layout, it'd make more moves available without increasing the amount of menu clicks by more then one
>>
File: 1422121517379.jpg (26KB, 281x264px) Image search: [Google]
1422121517379.jpg
26KB, 281x264px
How about a default built-in move alongside the existing 4? All Pokemon get one, and it's preset and dependent on the Pokemon. The built-in move distribution is dependent on what fits the Pokemon's flavor so you could possibly see some niche moves being used just because it's already attached to the Pokemon.

Examples like:
>Palkia - Gravity (or Spacial Rend since signature move)
>Probopass, Magnezone - Magnet Bomb
>Salamence - Fly
>Scizor, Beldum, Metang - Metal Claw
>Metagross - Meteor Mash
>Clefable - Metronome
>Garchomp - Dragon Rush
>Whimsicott, Jumpluff - Cotton Spore/Cotton Guard

Of course not all the built-in moves will be good but like HA it could offer some Pokemon a free move slot if they're lucky enough to get a good built-in move that they would already use in their regular sets.
>>
>>31360997
you know, I've wondered about something like this for a bit now.

Though it was a less a 'free move' you put any ability into and more like >>31362532, >>31364014, or even >>31364471

Thing about the second option is that traditional RPGs never give you never as many options for 'party members' as Pokemon does, and at the same time, because most traditional RPGs involve three to four characters fighting an average of equal number enemies, it means losing one part member is a bigger deal.

Pokemon is just too different an animal without some massive gameplay concept restructuring for a full menu list.

Admittedly, it might be interesting if a pokemon game ended up focusing less on 'catching them all' and more about small party which the player needs to build strong bonds with, train well, etc.
>>
>>31360997
Pokémon with 4-moveslot-syndrome would become good, Pokémon that are already good become coverage cancers, and the rest stay the same.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.