[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which one is the most sensible option for a Gold nuzlocke, and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2

File: 152 155 158.jpg (14KB, 428x238px) Image search: [Google]
152 155 158.jpg
14KB, 428x238px
Which one is the most sensible option for a Gold nuzlocke, and why?

Also, are there any particular Pokémon I should consider myself lucky to encounter relatively early in the game?
>>
Definitely not Chikorita. I'd say Cyndaquil since it has the advantage over Bugsy for early game, and you can catch Bellsprout to deal with Silver's Croconaw in Azalea. Early game is the hardest part of a Gen 2 nuzlocke imo
>>
Not OP but another nuzlocke question.

If you're looking for a specific item that only spawns on a certain pokemon, is it OK to catch and release until you get that item or is that considered a violation of the rules?
>>
>>31359529
That is a clear violation. Which item are we talking about, and for what do you need it?
>>
>>31359529
I'd say that's against the rules. You just have to deal with the hand your dealt.
But the fun thing about Nuzlockes, or these kind of runs, is making up your own rules.
>>
>>31359529
That's a direct violation. You're going to have to use a move that steals the opponent's items, or just play without it.

>>31359417
And Cyndaquil is definitely a good choice. If you evolve it beforehand the first gym you're golden. As the other poster mentioned, cyndaquil makes Bugsy easier. Never count out his scyther though, he can easily sweep your team.
>>
>>31359558
Ah, figured as much.
Managed to get a Farfetch'd and wanted to see if I could find myself a Stick for him. No great loss if I can't but was curious if it would generally be allowed.

Only my second Nuzlocke.
>>
>>31359417
Cyndaquil is probably the safest choice to go with early game. I don't recommend going Totodile because I got my shit pushed in hard by Silver in a SS Nuzlocke I did a while ago. Ended my run in Azalea town due to Razor Leaf crit shenanigans. You'll be able to find a good counter to Totodile with Mareep and Bellsprout early on while if you pick Totodile, you have to worry about having a good flying type which you might not even have like me.
>>
>>31359417
I'd say Totodile, but not for the reason you would think. A four HM moveset is surprisingly good in-game, since Surf and Strength are not only strong 100% accurate moves, but also have perfect neutral coverage between them. Cyndaquil is going to have a hard time getting perfect coverage even with three moves, and Chikorita can just forget it. Also, since the other two slots for Totodile becomes filler (unless you want to run something like Ice Punch), you might as well teach it Cut and Whirlpool.

As for companions, I'd say Geodude is golden in early Gold/Silver. It can be found two different places before Falkner (40% encounter at route 46 and 60% in Dark Cave), and has an excellent match-up against the first three gyms and many, many trainers. Totodile and Geodude leaves you weak against Grass, so I'd recommend you find a flying/bug/poison type like Pidgey, Spearow, Hoothoot, Ekans, Caterpie, Zubat, Spinarak, Gastly...

Looking at that list, it's actually not a problem to find something that beats the grass starter.
>>
>>31359417
Cyndaquil is likely the easiest for the first two gyms but Whitney can fuck you over if you're not careful.
>>
>>31359824
As I said in >>31359802, if you can get Geodude on one of your two tries, you're good to go.
>>
All right, guys, just started. Have lv10 Totodile, lv2 Rattata caught on route 46, lv4 Geodude caught in Dark Cave and lv10 Pidgey caught on route 31 and leveled up in Sprout Tower. So far so good.
>>
>>31361242

>Everyone in thread suggests Cyndaquil
>Tototile
What was the point of making thsi topic if you were just going to go with the one you liked?
>>
>>31361275
Because the most elaborate post said Totodile. It's not about votes, but good arguments.
>>
Go with Chikorita. I mean, if you're doing a nuzlocke. Might as well go full hard mode eh?
>>
>>31361242

Try to get a Ghastly from the upper (top?) floor of Sprout Tower to beat Whitney. It's a nighttime only encounter.
>>
>>31362006
Already begun.
>>31362160
I didn't even think of that. First encounter was a Rattata, which I don't really need, and I already have a Geodude which will beat Whitney. I saved outside of the gym, my team is now lv12 Pidgey, lv10 Totodile and lv9 Geodude, with a lv2 Rattata in tow. It's going to be exciting to see what Route 32 brings.
>>
>>31359500
This. I died in my nuzlocke twice picking totodile and got through it when I picked up Cyndaquil (where I lost it to a critical hit shortly after lmao)
>>
>>31359417
>Which one is the most sensible option for a Gold nuzlocke
Boxing them. Johtomons are shit.
>>
>>31359417
Geodude is probably the best early game option to be honest, even better than the starters. If you can get a Steelix it might be slightly better late game though.
>>
>>31362329
Geodude/Graveler is an interesting case. It has good physical stats and beats everything that relies on Normal moves, which is a lot in-game, but loses to anything with Grass or Water moves, not to mention that awful speed. It's extremely useful, but it's not going to run through Gold on its own.
>>
>>31362402
It's not suppose to, but, it's probably the most stable Pokemon at the start till you get superior options since it offers a lot of utility up till Mid-Johto and never really stops being useful.
>>
>>31362471
Sure, it never stops being useful, as long as it has a good match-up. For what it does, you're not really going to get superior options. Interestingly, a high-level Graveler beats half of Red's team on its own (Pikachu, Charizard, Snorlax).
>>
>>31359417
Cyndaquill wrecks sprout tower and Bugsy early on, and probably ends up being the best overall
Totodile can learn ice moves later on iirc which will help considerably for later fights like Lance
Chikorita is the worst for numerous reasons
>>
File: 1471337175173.gif (55KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1471337175173.gif
55KB, 540x540px
>>31359417
I ended up dropping my Crystal nuzlocke even after finding a Skarmory and Heracross

Late game grinding is so fucking boring
>>
>>31362541
Bulbasaur has to be the only good grass starter, and that's only because half the early gym leaders die to grass types
>>
>>31362597
Heracross sucks in GSC though
Seriously, look at its movepool. When your only real fighting type move is reversal you know you're a loser.
>>
>>31362607
Saur's schtick is that it does good early but lags later, Mander is the opposite and Squirt is okay from start to finish
>>
>>31362497
Yet alone if you can acquire a Golem from it. Steelix is also a good option, but, I don't think it's as good early on which hinders it a lot since that's usually the hardest part for most starters. To be honest I almost want to make an in game tier list for nuzlocke potential sometimes since I've done it so many damn times.
>>
>>31362644
Steelix and Golem require trades to obtain, though. Imagine if the Onix in Violet City held a Metal Coat instead of a Bitter Berry...

Anyway, another argument for Totodile is simply that it learns Surf. If you don't manage to catch any water-types, you're in deep shit if you chose Cyndaquil or Chikorita.
>>
Is it legal to buy Pokémon in a Nuzlocke?
>>
>>31361275
>pick Cyndaquil
>gets destroyed by Falkners mons spamming mud-slap
>>
>>31362676
Of course but there are ways around that. You can patch the rom to make it so trade revolutions evolve though over means or you can actually trade. It's not out of the equation.

There's always the HM slave rule if you're truly unable to progress without it. There's also a ton of ways to acquire water types throughout the run as well be it wild grass or just fishing rods. Hell there are some areas where you can only fish like in New Bark Town.

To be honest I feel as if all the starters in Johto are pretty weak choices. If I had to rate them it would probably be Cyndaquil>Totodile>Chikorita (rip sorry green friend).

Cyndaquil is a good fire type in a region that only has a few options for it.
>>
>>31362992
Sure. If you somehow manage to get Magmar in the Burned Tower, you're set.
>>
You have a few choices. In HG/SS you can get a few fire types from the egg guy if you want to abuse the system. There's Growlithe, Vulpix, and Magmar as you said. The odd egg can also give you a Magby.

There's really about it though.
>>
GSC is really easy to Nuzlocke, even compared to the remakes.

Cyndaquil is probably best due to Fire being rare, but Totodile is good too, especially in the remakes. Chikorita is known for horrible match ups, but is more of a support Pokemon and is definitely not shit at all. It's just Grass in Johto is horrible. Totodile's flaw in Gen 2 is mostly getting special moves, while Cyndaquil's issue is a really late final evolution.

Geodude is great in Johto, Spearow is pretty good too, Zubat is shit but Crobat isn't too bad and is bulky as hell, and Mareep is one of the few Electric types you can get, and an amazing Pokemon for the region.
>>
>>31359630
Try using Thief
>>
>>31359529
Just use thief
>>
>>31362213
>no dupe clause
Good luck
>>
>>31363504
What's a dupe clause?
>>
>>31363514
Where if your first encounter is something you already have, you can disregard it. Thought that was what you were doing if you are considering that Rattata as your first encounter
>>
>>31362705
Counts as your first pokemon in that area. Gift counts the same
>>
>>31363539
Interesting. Do you think it would be a good idea to buy Abra in Goldenrod and teach it elemental boxing?
>>
>>31363555
IT would certainly give you a decent coverage
>>
>tfw still playing SM to complete dex
>want to playthough every game with nuzloke at the same time
>>
Should I do a Sun nuzlocke? How hard and enjoyable is it?
>>
>>31365687
How would you do SoS battles? Only the initial encounter counts or anything in that battle is free game?
>>
Gold means Cyndaquil is a good choice, since fire is a fair bit rarer, though in Crystal I'd recommend Totodile due to a better selection of pokemon.

Although in terms of fire type coverage, there's always eevee and flareon.
>>
Hard as fug. Totems and Kahunas have taken many lives, but i went in blind and no grinding with exp share off
>>
>>31362992
>Cyndaquil is a good fire type in a region that only has a few options for it.

If you're absurdly lucky, you can get a Growlithe in the grass near the ruins.
>>
>>31359417
If you want some challenge, chikorita. If you want fast results, cyndaquil. Or choose totodile for balance.

Personally, I'd choose chikorita.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.