[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Remember when Legendaries were mysterious and thinly characterized

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 9

File: articuno.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
articuno.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
Remember when Legendaries were mysterious and thinly characterized creatures the player knew little about? They were always optional and just served as proof of a trainer's skill and dedication then.

Seems like nowadays they have sunk into a sad pattern of lore-overload, forced encounters with "faint or capture to continue" mechanics, and not even the semblence of a dungeon as a hurdle to obtaining your legendary. I can honestly say I feel bad for the children of today.
>>
>>31339533
Only happens with the box legends. All the others still fit your description.
>>
>>31339533
genwuuner spotted
>>
Nothing will ever compare to trying to figure out braille for the Regi Trio.
>>
File: image.jpg (34KB, 1055x781px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34KB, 1055x781px
>>31339533
>You HAVE to catch them because plot

The fact that you are forced to catch them is the worst part of it.
>>
Is collecting all 100 zygarde cells not a hurdle?
>>
High tier
>Legendary is found in a dungeon with little to know explanation

Mid tier
>Legendary is found through a sidequest

Low tier
>Legendary is found through the main quest

Shit tier
>HI YOU HAVE RECIEVED 1 MYSTERY GIFT
>>
>>31339631
OP here. It's not a genwun scenario. Legends were kind of optional and not TOO tied into the plot of the games until Gen 4, when legends literally threatened to destroy the world. Kyogre Groudon set the stage for it, but the rest of the Gen 3 legends followed the pattern of Gens 1&2 and gen 4 with the creation trio and lake trio was where legends stopped feeling like exciting post-game content and became a chore.
>>
>>31339706
Fucking this. I miss the gen 3 and 4 events. Even if it was event-locked content at least it was actual content and not "Press A for Mythic".
>>
>back then events were pokemon related items and not the pokes themselves
>getting the azure flute to get arceus
>using that arceus to make a baby dialga/palkia/gyrating
>oaks letter to literally have Shaymin spawn the longest runway in the game
>the tickets in emerald to catch deoxys or the gs birds or mew with a short but still interesting puzzle

>now we just get the pokemon handed to us by some random dude in a super market

What a time to be alive.
>>
>>31339706
I still remember stumbling upon the Giratina dungeon in pearl for the first time. Shit was crazy.
>>
File: necrozma[1].jpg (29KB, 360x276px) Image search: [Google]
necrozma[1].jpg
29KB, 360x276px
hi op
>>
File: Lawrence_III.jpg (22KB, 485x274px) Image search: [Google]
Lawrence_III.jpg
22KB, 485x274px
>>31339706
I approve this list.
>>
>I hate world building
>>
File: gains.png (491KB, 531x754px) Image search: [Google]
gains.png
491KB, 531x754px
>>31339706
Elder God Tier
>both box legendaries are available in the same game
>>
File: IMG_0554.png (277KB, 600x519px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0554.png
277KB, 600x519px
>>31339745
>Gyrating
>>
>>31339706
Switch high and mid-tier, but only if the sidequest is entirely optional and self-contained
>>
>>31339822
You can do world building without stuffing legendaries into the player's face. See: Mewtwo
>>
>>31339829
GSC/HGSS, Emerald and Platinum. Am I missing any?
>>
the UB quest was so disappointing honestly

literally just go to place, hear some dialogue, go to place, catch UB, go back to first place, hear more of the same dialogue and repeat

even the game itself joked about how the dialogue was pretty much the same every time
>>
>>31339654
The only time is was kinda good was arugably BW because N had the rival legendary and Ghetsis was designed to beat it
>>
I want them to make the legendary you have to fight in the story feel like an actual boss. Make them not catchable for the first go round and just boost their stats higher, maybe make their HP really big, give them decent moves and AI. Auras are a good direction but I want a real legendary boss battle
>>
>>31339745
This is how I know you weren't playing at the time.

Also, we had Eon Ticket in ORAS, though I agree that hardly counts.
>>
>>31339533
>Remember when Legendaries were mysterious and thinly characterized creatures the player knew little about?
No I remember Mewtwo and the birds being all over magazines and offical promotions
>>
>>31339713
90% of legendaries are still optional what are you talking about
>>
>Remember when Legendaries were mysterious and thinly characterized creatures the player knew little about?

You mean like Giratina/Kyurem/zygarde in the first pair of games?
>>
>>31339654
>>31339794
>M-Gengar and Necrozma have the exact same body type
>official site said that Gengar's third eye allows it to view other dimensions
>Necrozma is from Ultra Space
DEEPEST
E
E
P
E
S
T
>>
>>31339706
Pachas tier
>Legendary is found several times, and engages you in a game of cat and mouse across the region, with various interactions

Millennial tier
>Legendary is found in a linear, hand-holded faux final dungeon, as a random wild battle
>>
>>31340205
Mew and Mewtwo were literally the first pokemon to be seen in the anime
>>
>>31339920
Sum/Moon depending on how you look at it.
>>
>>31339533

The Gen 1 legendaries didn't feel legendary at all.

They were just ice bird, electric bird, and fire bird. That's it, there was nothing separating them from any other random Pokemon.
>>
>>31342083
You don't get both Lunala/Solgaleo in one game.

The Cosmog you receive in Sun will still evolve into another Solgaleo, same with Moon/Lunala
>>
>>31339533
The Legendary birds are among my favorites to find because there's practically nothing ingame hinting how to get them. You just randomly find a unique, cool Pokemon at the end of the dungeon you stumbled across in your journey.
Right after would probably be Gen 3 and 4 style events, where you travel to weird, unique locations to catch things.
>>
>>31339745
>>>>getting the eon flute
>>
>>31342113

this is bait
>>
>>31339533
dungeon? DUNGEON? The only dungeon in gen 1 for the birds was for Articuno. Holy shit, post bait that you know enough about so at least it's quality.
>>
>>31339533

Yes. Nowadays legendary stands for "stronger pokemon that's connected to the plot" and you probably won't even have to look for them.
>>
Lore overload for sure. Pokemon was so much better when they were just really powerful animals.
>>
>>31342192

>They've been semi-divine creatures since Gen 2

nice try
>>
>>31339706
I really hate mystery gifts tee bee aytch. They should only be for stuff like shinies. "Can't incorporate this into the game" my ass lazy fucks
>>
>>31342163

It's the truth though

>Birds: Just some big birds sitting in dungeons waiting for you to catch them
>Tapus: Revered as gods and worshipped by the Alolan people
>>
File: later homo.jpg (20KB, 500x499px) Image search: [Google]
later homo.jpg
20KB, 500x499px
>>31339533
>walk into a cave/building
>see some birdbrain sitting there
>catch it
wow such dedication
>>
>>31342202
Pokemon has been worse in every way excluding game mechanics for every generation.
>>
> proof of a trainer's skill and dedication then.
Throwing Master Balls is a sign of skill?

I'll give you dedication if you're trying to balltism a legendary with good nature/IV/hidden power
>>
>>31342166
>Power plant not a dungeon
Victory road not a dungeon

Kys yourself
>>
>>31342266

I went Balltism and HP for Tapu Koko but settled for imperfect speed since I could hyper train it. Does that count as dedicated enough?
>>
>>31342214
None of the people really seem to mind you capturing and removing their gods...
>>
>>31339923
a Nintendo game not taking itself seriously? Shocking
>>
>>31342297
Is it HP ice?
>>
>>31342346

The Pelago system means they're free to fuck off whenever they want. Bank/trading them away is non canon (see soaring in ORAS even if you got rid of the Lati)
>>
>>31342346
That's because the Tapus are canonically douchecanoes. Even the Kahunas are glad to have the breathing room and the protagonist is the new guardian of alola, with their team of UBs and shit.
>>
>>31342398

Correct. The build I use doesn't even use it, just went for it as a contingency plan.
>>
>>31342000
Only in the dub.

The japanese opening starts with Charizard I believe.
>>
I liked that in bw2 you can't catch kyruem in the main story
>>
>>31342677

I like how Ghetsis tried to kill you with it.
>>
>>31339644
This. Regi trio best trio
>>
File: zapdos.png (11KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
zapdos.png
11KB, 256x192px
I'm still mad.
>>31340320
>Is a prism crystal thing
>Ten Carat Hill
>>
>>31339533

The Totems were only alluded to including a chance encounter with ONE of them early on and are plot oriented. You don't fight any of them until post-championship.

You can catch Articuno and Zapdos as soon as you can surf, know where to go, and they don't do shit for the lore until Lugia shows up in gen 2.

We're improving.
>>
>>31339745

yeah I'm calling foul. We never got a legal way to get Arceus until WAAAY later. People HAD to cheat to get Eon Tickets back then.
>>
>>31342192

YEAH I LOVED IT WHEN MOLTRES WAS JUST CHILLING IN VICTORY ROAD!
>>
I liked that they made deoxys into a non event legendary. they need to start doing that with more event mons.

in the inevitable diamond and pearl remakes darkrai, arceus and shaymin better still have their in game locations

fuck every event legend should have an in game place thats locked off till its corresponding event item is available.

I understand the idea of having certain mons being event only, but with the amount of hacking and previous distributions they really need to just start making them more available through in game means. celebii and jirachi have still never had an in game area to catch them
>>
>>31339750
yeah, I remember when ruby and sapphire first came out I was the first one out of my group of friends and at my school to find rayquaza. I was known for the guy who "discovered rayquaza" for awhile.
>>
>>31339661
fetch quest are not fun, and the fucking npcs that tell you about zygarde make it sound like they've made a few hundred already. The process is already known so theres 0 mystery to it.
>>
>>31339644
I still remember when I found about it after 300 hours in Emerald. Man, I miss those days...
>>
I remember getting an action replay and finding faraway island with mew all those years ago. It was magical, i had no idea mew was even in the game
>>
>>31339533
Gen7 brought it back a bit. You are not forced to catch all the Tapus and UBs and nobody even knows that the fuck Necrozma is.
>>
>>31343838
If gen 4 remakes happen
Cresselia and Darkrai post game arc be dumb not to do
>>
>>31339745
>not tweaking into the mystery zone and spending several hours holding specific directions for specific numbers of steps to get to Shaymin and Darkrai's islands
>>
>>31343838
>celebii and jirachi have still never had an in game area to catch them
>celebi
What is the ilex forest in crystal? Even if it wasn't really possible outside of Japan it was still a place you could go find and catch celebi
>>
>>31344233
I'm setting myself up for disappointment because I'm envisioning a side quest where you're trapped in your own nightmares and have to dungeon crawl to the end of it to fight Darkrai.
>>
>>31339631
>posted an image from gen 3
lol
>>
>>31339822
Gens 1 and 2 did include world building with their legendaries and didn't have to resort to "gay cult wants to destroy the world with this legendary".
>>
>>31344927

Only with Mewtwo
>>
>>31345056
The three dogs, Celebi and Ho-oh too. The three birds are mentioned by birdkeepers near Fuchsia in RBY. Lugia kinda got the shit end of the stick in the games but got more side material than the other GSC legendaries.
>>
>>31343899
A hurdle is a hurdle.
>>
I actually didn't know Lugia was a pokemon for a long time when I was younger and playing gold.
Was just exploring the whirlwind islands for no reason on a car ride home when I encountered Lugia for the first time ever, and spent the next two hours trying to catch him.
Even back then, I knew how sexy he was.
>>
>>31339533
in gold and silver you either caught ho-oh/lugia on your first try or were confirmed a retard
>>
>>31339533
emerald was the last frontier of actually feeling like you earned your legends, Never will I forget trying to capture mew transformed as my venusaur on faraway island. Now half of them are actually forced on you, I mean for fuck sake latios/as was just fucking handed to you cause it liked you in ORAS
>>
>>31339533
What's wrong with lore overload? Helps with world building and makes it feel like the legends are worth something.
>>
>>31345412
Not OP but i wish box legends were less about the world destruction.
>>
>>31345435
They've been less and less about world destruction. And technically, the only ones who were really about complete and utter (immediate) destruction were the DPPt trio. Groudon and Kyogre were just mass extinction events, Reshiram/Zekrom not even close on the power scale, and Xerneas/Yveltal batteries.
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.