[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Pokémon Sun and Moon >The TWENTIETH ANNIVERSARY games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 4

File: Alola.png (2MB, 1280x905px) Image search: [Google]
Alola.png
2MB, 1280x905px
>Pokémon Sun and Moon
>The TWENTIETH ANNIVERSARY games
>The first game(s) to come out after a year with no mainline Pokémon game since 2008
>The game where "It all comes together"

But at its best it's painfully average. In certain aspects it's even worse than Gen 6, namely in regards to the the convenience of online features (PSS replaced by Festival Plaza) and optimizing Pokémon for battle (no breeding loop or move tutors, lack of EXP grinding methods, worse EV training methods).

We should have had a game without a terribly written and obnoxiously prominent narrative. We should have had two regions and focus on open-ended exploration and discovery, with storytelling being done via hidden lore (a la Sea Mauville) and optional quests (like the Looker Quest).

We should have had a game with the Battle Frontier, seasons, following Pokémon, better trainer customization, difficulty settings, the DexNav, some fun and rewarding minigames like those in the Pokéathlon, and so much more...

The best things about Sun and Moon is the evolution from chibi to full character models and the removal of HMs, but the positives more or less end there. The writing is terrible and it railroads you through the game, the music is nothing special and Alola is a tiny region with very, very few locations that are worthwhile and fun to explore. Trials are generally on par with gyms, sometimes worse but never better.

Just why? This was supposed to be the game where it all came together, but there's nothing special to see here. It's just another meh game.
>>
"Hidden lore" only works in open-world games, which Pokemon is not and never will be.
>>
Why does everyone want 2 regions.
>>
>>31277727
Even Gen 1 managed to pull it off with the journals about Mew and Mewtwo on Cinnabar.
>>
I agree, OP. They should have at least took one popular feature from the previous mainlines and implemented it here, the 20th anniversary games. The games where everything should have came together.
>>
>>31277694
It's weird how quickly my hype died after I found out what the game was like. The worst part is that I'm going to get hyped for Stars when it's announced despite knowing deep down how little of an improvement it will inevitably be.
>>
>>31277753
Because two regions means more content.

I'm well aware that Kanto in GSC is barebones and that the level scaling is terrible, but this isn't something that has to automatically happen just because there are two regions. It can be done right.
>>
>>31280338
BUMP!
>>
>>31277727
Hidden lore worked well in HGSS. The back story of many locations weren't outright stated to you

>>31277694
That's my biggest problem. These games are okay, but as 20th anniversary games they are really underwhelming
>>
>>31282198
Were they rushed in your opinion?
>>
>>31277793
Only 2 genders can come together
>>
>>31282202

Right now I'm leaning more towards gamefreak just didn't care.
>>
Cutscenes really killed it for me. I can't believe something as easy as a skip button was not implemented.
>>
>>31282224
Because they know most fans will gobble the games up and print money for them, even if some fans show displeasure towards the effort or lack thereof?
>>
>>31282198
>These games are okay, but as 20th anniversary games they are really underwhelming

Pretty much this. Finally started playing Sun three weeks ago, after seeing all the hate on here ("it's the worst Pokémon game yet") and love everywhere else ("it's the best Pokémon game, bless GameFreak I love Masuda's juicy cock").

I wasn't too disappointed in the game because I didn't expect it to be amazing, and honestly I enjoyed the difficulty, the focus on story, looks of the overworld and the new Pokémon. Other than that though, it really was lackluster compared to some of the other titles, and especially for all the advertising about it being "the 20th anniversary game" and all.

And fuck Gen 1 pandering, I really had enough of it with Gen 6, and they had to keep it up in Gen 7.
>>
>>31282206
Do people still find this funny?

>>31282202
They feel unfinished to me, but they took a year break for the first time since Gen 4 I think?

I think GF just can't do the kind of 3D that Gen 6+ games have. And they are getting in that position where they know the games will sell no matter what and there's no incentive to try anymore
>>
>>31282256
Yeah. The last time we had a year gap between games. they were ones of the same generation. I think that's one of the main reasons why heaps of people were thrown off by the trademark leaks and subsequent reveal of SM instead of an updated XY rerelease/third version/etc.
>>
>>31277694
It seems like you all forgot what's the pokémon experience

stop looking for a good game, standards are way too high
just enjoy your childhood adventure or fuck off already, I enjoyed SM.
>>
>>31277694
also
>Pokedex isn't even complete
>>
>>31282286
>stop looking for a good game
I think its sad that expecting something good is having too high standards now
>>
>>31282286
>just love every game or shut up because I liked it
>>
>>31282237
Pretty much. Thank goodness I'm pirating this shit.
>>
>>31277864
Yes it does, especially when one of the things to do is battle Kanto's gym leaders.
>>
i wanna like this game but its impossible.

too many steps back and TOO MUCH CUTSCENES
>>
>>31282518
The only reason I won't pirate Stars is because of how long it'll probably be after the Switch releases to be able to pull that off.
>>
I love the game but I can't help but agree. I don't mind how comfy the game is though and the characters are much more memorable than X/Y. I feel the same about FFXV. All these super hyped games find their niche through nostalgia pandering.
>>
File: Game_Freak_logo[1].png (4KB, 199x136px) Image search: [Google]
Game_Freak_logo[1].png
4KB, 199x136px
>>31277694
>Just why?

Not a particularly hard question to answer
>>
>>31282551
What companies WOULDN'T fuck up Pokemon like Game Freak have? My bet's on fucking Atlus.
>>
>>31282256
>And they are getting in that position where they know the games will sell no matter what and there's no incentive to try anymore

They know they have been in that position since the beginning of gen 6, don't kid yourself.
>>
>>31282256
people here get triggered hard by jimmy. then pretend that they're the ones triggering.
>>
>trusting marketing bullshit
>not remembering the quality of Diamond and Pearl, the 10th anniversary titles
>expecting anything but the infailable sheer mediocrity for the start of a generation
>>
>>31282638

The quality of DP was far higher than SM.
>>
>>31282655
For example, both games had day/night music. DP had them in most areas AND individual encounter themes.
>>
>>31282655
That's not what /vp/ always tells me. They tell me it's the worst thing to ever happen to the series and it's unplayably slow with zero optional content, Platinum changed literally EVERYTHING!

DP is literally the only good start of a generation.
>>
>>31282655
Let's not get overboard
>>
>>31282679
>DP is literally the only good start of a generation.

What>>31282702 said
>>
>>31277694
Of kanto. Least that's how it is according to GF.
>The game where "It all comes together"
Figurative and lacks any actual meaning. Just their way to hype the games and their graphical advancement

Also, all "1st versions" lack postgame and tutors (the 1st 2 gens are the obvious exceptions, but gsc is more like 1 full game split into 2 regions)

I more or less agree with the rest tho
>>
>>31282655
>>31277694
I'd say SM and DP are comparable in role.

Anniversary games that were okay, advertised 3D as a selling point but was ultimately too hard for GF to pull off, leading to optimization problems.

Decent enough games but poor for the anniversary, and the flaws are as numerous as the positives. SM is still a much better base game though

I'm expecting SM's reputation to be similar to DP's going forward. Those were loved at the time too.
>>
>>31282750

DP had content that was flawed compared to what came before (e.g. Secret Bases, Super Contests)

SM is just barren.
>>
>>31282202
Rushed ? I don't really know.
Stripped of some of its content to add it in a possible third installation ? Very likely, I mean, look at all those empty sites of construction ! The map isn't finished
>>
>>31282894
I liked Super Contests.

But I meant mainly stuff like load times, slowness in battles, DP's ugly tile set (many places were only salvages by Platinum), distribution in Pokemon, stuff like that.
>>
>>31282894
The underground was good but the secret bases was poor
>>
>>31282929
I hate how SM feels like things were intentionally left out to make us buy the next game. Its a feeling I also had with XY.
>>
The removal of HMs isn't a positive. You can't just take away one of the main parts of a game series for an anniversary game just because whiney fuckbags want to have a couple extra moves
>>
>>31283067
>I like wasting an entire party slot AND 2-3 move slots on other members of my party for HMs.
There's always some faggot like this.
>>
>>31283067

>Removal of Strength gives the chance to include far more Strength puzzles since the player will always be equipped to handle them
>SM has the fewest and simplest Strength puzzles
>>
>>31282632
Why are redditors incapable of understanding the idea of shitposting without being autistically invested in what you post?

I want to know what kind of life you've lead to think people are triggered by jim-jam and care if he's triggered back. Probably upper-middle class but with some small problem like divorced parents that you never self-analysed I'm guessing
>>
>>31277694
You say as if this means anything. For the tenth anniversary DP came out and it was shit. For the 15th nothing came out.
>>
>>31283154
Won't talk on simplicity, but i'm pretty sure RBY has only Seafoam and the Victory Road.
>>
>>31284565
Yeah, but being comparable to the first set of games isn't a compelling argument
>>
>>31284041
You are lying if you don't believe that plenty of people lose their shit at the sight of a trip

With good reason, but I'm not going to pretend you replies aren't just as autistic
>>
>>31284358
But GF acknowledged the 20th in a special way
>>
>>31285530
>GF acknowledged the 20th in a special way
but what's this special way?
>>
>>31285530
Game Freak != TPCi
>>
>>31286002
A specific trailer and giveaways of mythical Pokemon all year?
>>
>>31277864
To regions was done well in GSC was done well for the time, but yeah, it is lacking in retrospect
>>
>>31283067
Removal of HMs is just alternate phrasing for "the addition of Poke Ride". The HM system was improved.
>>
>>31280338
>>31281313
Stop, I'm gonna bust a nut!
>>
>>31284358
DP were less shitty than SM.
>>
>>31277694
stop stating your shallow opinions as if theyre definitive fact you fucking crusty old cum sock
>>
>>31288260
>why do people disagree with me
>>
File: 1464459593428.jpg (37KB, 348x342px) Image search: [Google]
1464459593428.jpg
37KB, 348x342px
You know now that I'm thinking about it, in the end what did SM have to do with flowers? or did it have anything to do with flowers at all??
>>
>>31289335
A bunch of the characters were named after flowers. Lillie and Plumeria, for example.
>>
>>31277864
>but this isn't something that has to automatically happen just because there are two regions. It can be done right.
With more time than is used for Pokemon games. Not to mention the divided attention as to what goes where.

It's better just to have one region.
>>
>>31289335
People just over speculated. Characters are named after flowers all the time

>>31289896
Alola could have definitely used a small Sevii like region. The game's battles top off at like 55 outside the league, which only goes to 65 or so.
>>
>>31290590
>The game's battles top off at like 55 outside the league, which only goes to 65 or so
I don't think you realise the problem here.
>>
>>31290614
A Sevii sizes region that brings us to level 70 seems fine. The 65 for the league is actually the rematch, and that's the highest fight outside Red/Blue. SM didn't need two regions to have a bad level curve.
>>
File: BTFO BTFO BTFO BTFO BTFO.png (144KB, 1919x492px) Image search: [Google]
BTFO BTFO BTFO BTFO BTFO.png
144KB, 1919x492px
>>31277694
ITT: /vp/ finally waking up to the fact that SuMo are the worst games in the series.

Literally nobody can speak positively of it anymore. And shills say that this isn't the Sonic 06 of the series.
>>
>>31291617
What topic is that picture from?
>>
SM has a lot of socio/societal commentary on modern life. At times it almost felt like it was critiquing Pokemon games.
Namely the Eevee quest, that kinda hit pretty hard. The presence of the Megamart-type store was also pretty weird.
>>
>>31277694
>seasons
>in hawaii

HA
>>
>>31291617
Pokemon games in general are shit. When are you fags going to wake up?

Stop buying them. Complaining after the buy is pointless.
>>
>>31291617
Add to pic,

The trials gimmick pretty much ends about half way through the game and a few of the Trial heads don't even have trials and you just battle them.
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.