[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it just me, or are the most clever designs considered

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 163
Thread images: 21

File: 476.png (18KB, 259x338px) Image search: [Google]
476.png
18KB, 259x338px
Is it just me, or are the most clever designs considered the worst designs?
>>
>>31245149
How's this guy clever? He's like a compass thing? With a button on his head? What's going on here?
>>
>>31245175
This is why "clever" designs are considered the worst, most people just don't end up getting it.
>>
>Goldstein
>>
>>31245193
I mean I found that he's supposed to look like the Moai statues in their restored natural state and I get that his little satellite heads represent the other cardinal directions. But compasses don't do that. They have a painted guide to show you east and west, but magnetism doesn't care about east and west.

It's not really a clever design. Moai statues didn't even particularly point north. It's just a weird mashup. Pokemon designs get a lot more clever than this.
>>
>>31245149
I bet you also think Vanilluxe is clever you hipster cunt

Most designs incorporate multiple motifs. Like Tyrantrum that is a T-Rex but also a king, a mashup that works because T-Rexes were the king of dinossaurs.

And for the matter "it's based on (x)" is not an argument. No matter how many times you spam the board about how Incineroar is totally clever because it's based of Tiger Mask, it still looks like shit
>>
File: 1479428156372.gif (3MB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
1479428156372.gif
3MB, 200x150px
>>31245290
>Thinks incineroar looks like shit
>>
>>31245312
I'm so sorry for your terminal shit taste anon. From the moment you start to think Incineroar looks acceptable, with those sausage fingers and rubber limbs it is when you know you're too far gone
>>
>>31245243
Everyone in this thread is ignorant. We need more examples.
>>
>>31245290
He's supposed to be like also an ice chipper machine thing that like integrates with his straw. Still bad though, not enough of a connection to justify something that would be so obviously criticized.
>>
File: PfH5bEO.png (594KB, 894x424px) Image search: [Google]
PfH5bEO.png
594KB, 894x424px
>>31245243
Probopass is not really a common compass. Nosepass is a compass, and Probopass is a windrose. Also, Nosepass is a ruined Moai and Probopass a restored Moai. Aaaand... Easter Island is related to magnetism, see the Ahu Te Pito Kura's rock. Probopass is in short words a lodestone windrose compass.
>>
>>31245149
Garchomp and Lucario show it doesn't matter what your design is as long as your competitively pushed.
>>
I wonder who's behind this post...
>>
>>31245343
>Ahu Te Pito Kura's rock
I cant find any connection online that this has to do with magnetism.
>>
File: 1477777951608.png (137KB, 1280x874px) Image search: [Google]
1477777951608.png
137KB, 1280x874px
>>31245322
Best fire type starter by a longshot.
>>
>>31245390
Imagine being this guy I'm replying, forcing himself to like the space jam reject with the worst proportions ever and an overdone humanoid fire fighter motif just to argue with people on the internet
>>
File: Ahu-Te-Pito-Kura04.jpg (65KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Ahu-Te-Pito-Kura04.jpg
65KB, 640x360px
>>31245368
> A rock with four similar similar around it, same as Probopass anatomy
> A rock with steel inside it
> https://youtu.be/ls4hyBLVw_M
>>
>>31245420
> Similar similar
Sorry, I mean similar stones
>>
>>31245420
Ok, that's fair. Clever enough of a connection. That ice cream still gotta go though.
>>
>>31245435
It's clearly a icicle that came to life.
The design was too artificial to be acceptable, though.
>>
>>31245149
1. Voltrob
2.Unown
3. Luvdisc
4. Wormadam
5. Kilink
6. Diggersby
7.Crabonimble
>>
>>31245353
Wasn't Zoroark a blunder though?
>>
>>31245149
Clever != good
I like something that is visually appealing, not something that has some lore no one gives two shits about. If you want a mix of that, look at Pokemon like Kanto starters. Bulbasaur's flower motif is simple, yet clever. Makes it likeable. Same goes for Charmander. A Salamander becoming a Dragon with a tail flame to indicate its health is simple as fuck, yet it is no less "clever" than any other Pokemon. The most important part is how you good it looks, not how much unnecessary shit you can know about it.
>>
File: 1481510399519.png (387KB, 920x2645px) Image search: [Google]
1481510399519.png
387KB, 920x2645px
>>31245333
Biggest example I can think of is crabomidable. I think people would like it more if it was available earlier in game and if it was actually good. It also could've been more appealing as well.

Posting this mess. To add to it, crabomidable also has the whole claw prints/ yeti footprints thing going for it. Its abbs are also possibly its tail curled up in front. Several crabs in the infraorder anomura, which both coconut and yeti crabs belong to have a trait where they curl up their tails onto their abdomens instead of leaving them hanging.
>>
>>31245479
I'd love Crabominable if his face didn't look like he spent 40 years drinking Moonshine in the mountains.

I really dig that edit where it's face is shadowed, goes with the Yeti motif
>>
>>31245149
Dude Jews lmao
>>
>>31245478
>The most important part is how you good it looks, not how much unnecessary shit you can know about it

Diversity. Game Freak wants diversity in its designs. Probopass wasn't designed to being a Charizard or a Lucario. Many Pokémon are designed to have a function.

Game Freak is who consider if a design is interesting to be a Pokémon. They are the only ones who cares that all Pokémon are interesting.

If they had been concerned about the Probopass' hatred, they hadn not put that mailman Probo in the SM story or the wild Probopass in Generations.
>>
File: 1480775159457.png (75KB, 494x297px) Image search: [Google]
1480775159457.png
75KB, 494x297px
how many people in this thread get triggered by this, i wonder
>>
>>31245605
I'd keep the claws as they were for the footprint thing, but it's nice in a less goofy sense. Albeit it looks like digitamamon, jelly doughnut edition.
>>
>>31245586
It could still have been designed in a more visually appealing way. Obviously, I can't say I can do better, but GF can. GF is great at that. Even Nosepass looks better than Probopass, because Probopass has just too much going on just for the sake of lore.
>>
>>31245478
>A Salamander becoming a Dragon with a tail flame to indicate its health is simple as fuck, yet it is no less "clever" than any other Pokemon.
Not really. I don't know why you'd even think to argue the charmander's line is particularly clever. Salamander's connection with fire is pretty well known, and reptile into fictional reptile isn't really special either

With what I've seen about probopass just now, charmander's line is definitely not as clever probopass.
>>
>>31245651
Just because it's leas obscure doesn't mean it's clever. Charmander line tiea together the connecrion salamanders have with fire and seamlessly connects it with dragons. Also the whole life flame detail on the tail. And it looks appealing to boot
>>
>>31245353
This. I don't saying that these two guys are bad designs (maybe Lucario), but that's true un many cases, for example with Ferrothorn.
>>
>>31245472
Because it wasn't competitively pushed. They ruined its gimmick in the same generation it was introduced.
>>
>>31245666
It took significantly more research and made a lot more connections than the charmander line did. That took a lot more effort than using common knowledge of salamander's connection with fire and realizing that dragons are reptiles. Literally everybody knows that.

>And it looks appealing to boot
That's nice, super irrelevant though.
>>
>>31245709
Not the anon, but I would love it if you could explain how and why is Probopass any more clever. From my perspective, they're both just based on simple things. The thing Probopass is based on is just something no one gives a shit about, which in turn makes it worse.
>>
>>31245464
>1. Voltrob
Isn't it only hated to justify future generations introducing more object-based designs?
>2.Unown
It actually desirves the hate. Its the biggest examples of a good concept put to waste.
>3. Luvdisc
What makes it clever exactly?
>4. Wormadam
Do people even hate her? People forget she even exists.
>5. Klink
Like Unown, wasted potential. If your going to evolve a set of gears, at least turn it into a machine and not more gears. That would've been interesting and cool.
>6. Diggersby
Agreed. It is a design that relies on "goofy charm" to be successful.
>7.Crabonimble
Agreed.
>>
>>31245733
>4. Wormadam
>Do people even hate her? People forget she even exists

Many people hate Wormadam. I remember a thread who Burmy was consider the least favourite in /vp/
>>
>>31245724
How is magnetic creature based off of a moei statue and a strange rock with steel inside and has small stones around it denoting cardinal directions supposed to be as simple as a fire salamander turning into a dragon?
>>
>>31245767
How is a salamander with a fire motig that is cleverly interwined with the mithology and lore around dragons and the concept of life as a flame incorporated literally supposed to be less clever than a magnetic moai statue?

>>31245709
It's actually relevant because the endgame of pokémon design is to appeal to players
>>
>>31245390
Is it because you are a furry?
>>
>>31245479
Holy shit knowledge is really power, disliking the damn thing because it's ugly now seems beyond retarded
>>
>>31245799
"Cleverly intertwined"? How? Because of fire and reptile? That's clever to you? That's literally where the connection begins and ends.

The Probopass line works on several levels. The moei statues have large noses which works as an arrow like on a compass. Nosepass looks like a weathered down weaker version of the moei statue and probopass looks like a restored stronger version of the same statue. The line also changes from a compass to a windrose. There's a rock that looks very similar to Probopass on the easter islands that has metal inside.

What kind of growth does the charizard line have? Here's a lizard on fire, here's it again, and now it has wings, because dragons have wings, the end, you understand everything that went behind the design of the charizard line. The amount of effort it took between the two is night and day.

Also no, "looks appealing" is still not relevant, because however aesthetically pleasing you're deciding a pokemon is has exactly zero things to do with the design process that has already happened. If you decided that the probopass line looks better than the charizard line, does it get to become more clever then? Then to you what is the difference between something looking good and something having a clever design? Sounds like exactly nothing.
>>
>>31245290
Spotted the nu-male owlfag
>>
>>31245836
I appreciate the background. His face still looks dumb.
>>
>>31245799
Not the anon, but...
>How is a salamander with a fire motig that is cleverly interwined with the mithology and lore around dragons and the concept of life as a flame incorporated
> Literally a generic dragon in too many words

I like Charizard, but your reply is pathetic.
>>
>>31245353
>>31245699

Why do pepo suddenly hate Lucario so much? Is it because of the shilling?
>>
>>31245417
>forcing himself to like

Where did the tiger touch you?
>>
>>31245851
It doesn't though. It's just a weird mishmash becausd someone at GF thought a big nose looks like an arrow.

Probopass just like Charizard is just two concepts that work together. You can write an essay, stretching the little you have but Probopass doesn't have muxh depth and while your last point is valid, Charizard is way more popular than Probopass, so It's an objective fact that Charizard is more appealing
>>
>>31245869
In the games, its ugly mug and shitty design occupying a perfectly good pokédex slot
>>
>>31245860
>Literally just a magnetic rock
You can make anything sound simple, anon. Char line incorporates elements from real life Lizards, Salamanders and fictional Salamanders, and mixes them to have it become a Dragon. It is a simple concept, but that's because we understand it. As far as creativity goes, a magnetic rock becoming a Rock-type Pokemon and a fire lizard becoming a Dragon are just the same.
>>
>>31245921
stay mad owlshitter
>>
i honestly didn't know all that OP, thank you!

any more examples of actual clever pokemon designs?
>>
>>31245390
charizard better also
x2 megas
>>
File: Pele's Hair.jpg (132KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
Pele's Hair.jpg
132KB, 1200x630px
Alolan dugtrio is volcanic glass called Pele's hair. The dex entry mythos mentioning that it's thought to be the embodiment of an Earth goddess and that people are cursed if they take the hair both are both associated with Pele. The park rangers also hate it when people keep taking rocks and glass from Volcanoes National Park, so they like to inform guests of said curse.
>>
>>31246025
Nah, some faggots in this thread will tell you that a Dugtrio with wigs is less clever than Charizard.
>>
>>31245906
Ok yes, that's nice. Most people think Charizard looks better than Probopass. It's still the super irrelevant. Also it's not objective or a fact that Charizard is more appealing just because more people like how Charizard looks more.

Also,do you want to be a little more specific than "It doesn't though"? Is that about how a large nose looks like an arrow? Which it definitely does on probopass?

>>31245928
The ability to make something sound simple doesn't change that a bunch of filler was added to make it seem like it's more than it is.
"and the concept of life as a flame incorporated" Uh is that supposed to be different from literally any other fire type in the game at all?

Also, you can't boil down probopass to just a random magnetic rock. The Moei statue influence is 100% undeniable, also there's a connection between that magnetic influence and the easter islands. You can't understand any of that without the background which would take specific research to do so. Everybody understood exactly what Charizard was about the second they looked at it. It probably took just as much time to think of the idea. It isn't remotely as creative as probopass.
>>
>>31246054
Cause they're..
>>
>>31245435
>>31245457
To me the ice creams were Icicles with snowy mountains on top of them. OK not Vanillite but the other two totally look like snowy mountains with icicles under them, right?
>>
>Muh clever design
It still looks like shit.

Knowing what X or Y is based on doesn't make it any less boring, ugly, bland, etc
>>
>>31246079
>opinions
ok but this isn't about designs that look like shit or not.
>>
>>31246060
So in the end, more obscure shit equals = "clever" design? If you didn't know what a Salamander was, it would be actually "clever"?

Dragon-like Salamanders aren't a real thing. They're based on stories and folklore. And that folklore is something that's different in each part of the world, with a lot more details to it. A lot more than Moei statues, which were something exclusive to a single culture.

But if being "clever" design means obscurer things, then fuck that. I'd rather have a design based on a thing I understand and like rather than something I won't know unless I look it up.
>>
>>31246101
That's like saying you don't want to hear any jokes other than knock knock jokes because they're familiar.

Dragon-like salamanders aren't a real thing, but connecting fire with fire and lizard with lizard isn't clever.
>>
>>31246067
Real icicles aren't shaped with perfect symmetry. They're much smoother as well.
>>
>Probopass has been in every game since BW2

Explain this.
>>
>>31245390
>best
That thing is worse than Emboar, Incinerorar is the worst fire starter
>>
>>31246124
Subliminally hinting that the Jewish have taken over our resources since BW2
>>
>>31246124
Game Freak loves Probopass.
>>
>>31246124
Magnets... you can't explain that
>>
>>31246128
Emboar is a complete joke though. Its a rehashed concept with a reused typing for starters. You make a four legged Fire pig but not make it Fire/Ground? But another attempt to rehash Blaziken? Who approved this shit?
>>
>>31246162
at least emboar is more faster than incinerocrap
>>
>>31245605
roly's art is cute but he can have such generic taste sometimes. would still gladly suck him off though
>>
>>31245605
The new Cave Story monsters look sick
>>
File: hoopla.png (302KB, 636x383px) Image search: [Google]
hoopla.png
302KB, 636x383px
I guess this is the appropriate thread to say that this ugly piece of shit is my least favorite design in the series.
>>
>>31245353
Garchomp has a bad design? I'm sorry he isn't a dragon crossed with a car faggot.
>>
>>31246119
Exactly. Dragons aren't real. It's all lore.
Do you KNOW how much lore and "filler details" there is something behind a Dragon, something you just write off as a simple concept? There is thousands upon thousands of years stories and legends built up on something you call simple.
And despite all of that, GF still added a few new spins to it. The Lizard or Salamander becoming a Dragon, which you call generic or simple, hadn't been done that often before Charizard. You get it, because it makes sense in your head. But that doesn't mean it isn't creative or clever.

In you joke analogy, if I had the choice between a joke I know I'm going to understand and like, and a joke that I'll have look up just to understand, I'll pick the former.
>>
>>31246309
dude you talk bullshit
>>
File: 900px-445Garchomp.png (423KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
900px-445Garchomp.png
423KB, 900x900px
>>31246266
Garchomp is the embodiment of a cluttered design trying too damn hard. A jetplane motif on a LAND shark? Won't it make more sense if was a sand equivalent of a submarine? Why a jet of all things on a EARTH-based concept? And whats with the spikes? What purpose do they serve? This is more flawed than Lucario's spikes as they're not even justifications of it's typing. Are they design elements of sharks? I mean Sawsharks are things but Garchomp is more of a Hammerhead with it's awkward facial structure, and they're main feature isn't spikes. Why does it have leg ridges? Are they suppose to invoke gills? On it's LEGs of all places? The yellow star is the biggest questionable design choice. Is it a giant scar or something? Because Sharpedo did that idea way better. Give me a good reason how this isn't a complete mess designed by an autistic child.
>>
File: Untitled.png (2MB, 1362x1490px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
2MB, 1362x1490px
>>31245149
>>31245290
>>31245435
>>31246079
>>31246241
>>31246471
>shitting on pokemon designs
A reminder to get a load of this and be grateful for what you have
>>
>>31246608
EVERY
FUCKING
THREAD
>>
>>31246608
>Le yokai watch ruse
neck yourself
>>
File: 1536356356.jpg (31KB, 196x260px) Image search: [Google]
1536356356.jpg
31KB, 196x260px
>>31245390
or not
>>
>>31246241
Yeah, gotta agree. That thing looks so out of place alongside other Pokemon. Hoopa itself is fine, but this thing....ugh.
>>
>>31246608
That akaname yokai is kinda hot.
>>
>>31246309
Charizard is just a generic dragon, don't lie you. There are many dragons in Pokémon and the most part are more clever than the generic concept of a dragon with a flame in the tail.
>>
>>31245866
>suddenly
>>
>>31245149
the worst pokemon are generally the ones that have conventionally ugly, lack qualities considered cute/cool, or has misunderstood characteristics. This one for example is all of it. A huge part of bonding with things is to do with how well relate and how we associate ourselves with the thing in particular. This is why I can't stand the arguments about what's trash taste. Take this thing for example, it's basically a big stone jew, it has a tumblr nose, fucking pubes, it's honestly just a lump. There will be a few who absolutely love it, and people who don't outright hate it (me, I dont hate any pokemon. But look at the Pokemon loads of people consider their favs, Gardevoir, Lucario, Mawile, Greninja, Lucario, Charizard, Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, Garchomp, ALL Ultra Beasts. Most of those mon are easily understood and have aspects of conventional attraction in some form etc.

So whether or not Probopass is a good design is up in the air. Literally everyone understands it's a statue of some sort, with a nose and a mustache etc. In terms of design that's where it's successful, especially if it's memorable. However if we were to weigh out the opinions on this thing more people would find it tacky and ugly, be indifferent towards it, or flat out hate it. The point is that someone will love it, just as we all have our specific taste in something off the regular tangent. I say it succeeded, as it gives those people their own little special pokemon, and that itself is a strong design concept itself. Because being popular isn't always the goal.
>>
>>31245243
Just because a design has "muh deep lore" doesn't make it good. Same goes for Probopass, Vanilluxe, Jynx, whatever. They may have clever origin/lore but they still look ugly and hideous as fuck, period.
>>
>>31246868
>the worst pokemon are generally the ones that have conventionally ugly
*that have conventionally ugly aspects
>>
>>31245243
>>31245175
I think OP just wanted to say GF managed to sneak yet another Jew caricature in the dex or something
>>
>>31246868
tl,dr: pokemons like Probopass are for patricians ONLY
>>
File: 900px-484Palkia.png (602KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
900px-484Palkia.png
602KB, 900x900px
>>31246687
>That thing looks so out of place alongside other Pokemon.
Even when compared to most mascot legendaries? I can actually acknowledge the idea Hoopa-U has going on by just looking at it(Arabian Demon monster). Compared to this robotic mess.
>>
>>31246868
Like Palpitoed or Stunfisk or Tranquil.
>>
>>31245149
Good concept =/= gooddesign
I still like propobass.
>>
>>31246241
I'd fuck it
>>
>>31245149
Because anything that isn't a dog, cat, wolf, or a dragon isn't "pokémon enough" and thus a bad design, or so the fanbase thinks.
>>
>>31245866
The shilling, and also VP is all hipsters and hates everything that's "cool." The shilling has just accelerated up the ranks. But that's a fucking stupid reason to hate a pokemon. Hate one if it has a bad design, or it let you down too much in battle, or was really annoying to battle against (although those are still petty bad excuses to justify the amount of hate some people have for a fictional character).
But if you're reason for hating it is for shilling,
then blame Game Freak.
>>
File: lucariosnose.jpg (39KB, 395x217px) Image search: [Google]
lucariosnose.jpg
39KB, 395x217px
>>31247185
But Lucario is a flawed mess of a design that is shoved down to our throats by the developers. The hate it receives is 100% justified and you know it.
>>
>>31246122
>Born of an icicle, this Pokémon uses its frosty breath to make ice crystals, causing snow to fall.
That's Vanillite's Sun entry.
And seeing as half the rock types based on actual rocks are symmetrical, that's not a good arguement.
>>
Here's an actual clever design.
>>
>>31246065
Charizard is literally a plain dragon, not clever at all.
He looks cool tho
>>
>>31247290
Preach
>>
>>31247290
rockets + bamboo + waifu?
>>
>>31247384
Princess Kaguya + Kaguya probe + bamboo = waifu
>>
>>31247402
Isn't bamboo more of an aspect of Kaguya as she was discovered from a chopped bamboo stem?
>>
>>31246739
And again, Probopass is just a generic rock with a face. There are many more Pokemon like this. The only clever part is the compass thing it has.
>>
>>31247423
Of course.
>>
>>31247235
That's literally zero justification. First of all, a "flawed mess of a design" is going to be subjective to anyone making the arguement. The fact that it's clearly popular, while Zoroark failed to reach similar levels despite the attempts at shilling, show that shilling alone won't get you far and it's a successful enough design to be popular. And how anyone can say that nonrealistic anatomy and extraneous details on a fictional monster in a series where from the beginning was a common practice is beyond me.

But here's an example to think of. Say for instance you watch Nickelodeon a lot. And one day the executives fund a movie to be made based on one of their shows (designed for kids mind you). The movie's fine, it's not terrible especially considering the subject material and demographic. But a lot of kids love it and it becomes popular. So the executives run an all day marathon of that movie, interrupting the other shows. You're upset because you wanted to watch those shows today. Then the execs decide to make it an annual thing and now every year you have to deal with this.
So who are you going to blame in this scenario? The movie, which while may have flaws, had no say in the matter, or the execs who were the ones to make the decision to shove it down people's throats?
>>
>>31247477
A generic rick with a magnetic core that creates a magnetic beard, it also has 4 mini noses that make him look like a cardinal rose and its evolution plays on the concept of a restored statue.

They all fit decently despite how silly it looks.
>>
>>31247561
Zoroark also failed due to it being tied to events.

You couldn't get zoroark without events for the first 6 months of BW nor use it on the main campaign if you missed gen4.

Lucario wasn't in your face but it was given to you in the main campaign.
>>
>>31247477
Except that wouldn't justify his design at all, so no
>>
>>31247593
Zoroark also failed because they cucked it with team preview in the generation it was introduced. Without it, it would have been more common on Showdown
>>
>>31246961
gosh penis head looks so horrible.
What were they thinking when they made this
>>
Rayquaza is the best designed pokemon, prove me wrong
>>
File: ghj.jpg (618KB, 1362x1490px) Image search: [Google]
ghj.jpg
618KB, 1362x1490px
>>31246608
Ah yes, we should be really grateful they dont look anything alike
>>
>>31245149
It's a good concept, and I like it for that, but it's not very good in exectution.
>>
>>31247593
Perhaps. But certain Pokemon like Mew skyrocketed in popularity because they were event exclusive and seen as illusive.
Although, events were exponentially harder to obtain back in the day. Not to mention that once at least one Zoroark is in circulation, of an be bred to get infinite more.
>>
I'm surpirsed there's never been a pokemon that only appears in leap years or something
>>
>>31247642
Actually zoroark is quite good with team preview, it's the gothithelle/magnezone effect. You should use it more with wallbreakers or consider him as a trapper/stall breaker to use him well.

Team preview actually work in his favor if you know what you are doing since you choose your last manually before the fight.
>>
>>31247751
elusive*
>>
ITT:

"Ewwww it looks ugly and stupid, I don't care if it's clever or not, everything has to be baddass/beautiful :^)"

That's why there are so many shitty fakedexes filled with elemental wolves and dragons.

Pokémon are meant to appeal to all kinds of different people, not just the lowest common denominator. There are thousands of people in the world who love Garbodor and Probopass, even if there are millions that love Charizard and Lucario.
>>
>>31247642
What?

It would be pointless without Team Preview. The point of Zoroark is to make people uncertain.
>>
And Charizard is a not so generic lizard with power to breath fire and a flame always burning on its tail. It also has 2 wings that make it look like a dragon and give it the ability to fly and it fits it from an evolutionary standpoint.

Again, you're acting like dragons are just a thing. Compass and rocks are also just a thing and just as generic. You literally live on a magnetic rock. Your fixation on that being more clever than a fire breathing lizard is ridiculous. Sure, a fire breathing lizard isn't exactly a new concept, but I'm willing to bet it isn't as old as the planet itself. It's also been used in games, like dragons have been, but a lot less often because it isn't as appealing.

If you think being less widely understood and used makes it clever, then you're right. Probopass is a lot more clever than Charizard. But if we're talking about the concept itself, they're pretty much on the same level.
>>
>>31247942
Meant to reply to >>31247572
My bad.
>>
>>31247942
>Again, you're acting like dragons are just a thing. Compass and rocks are also just a thing and just as generic.

You can't be this stupid.

> It's also been used in games, like dragons have been, but a lot less often because it isn't as appealing.

This is exactly the point, fucktard. It's not more clever because it's "more of a thing" or a "newer thing", it's because it's seldom used as a monster/creature design, and not as creatively as Pokémon does it.
>>
If all of you spergs could find it in your hearts to spell Moai properly, that'd be great.
>>
Shedinja, Probopass, Scrafty, Dhelmise, and Celesteela I feel are the most clever designs.
>>
>>31247942
Except Probopass still doesn't begin and end with just the simple concept of compass.
>>
>>31247402
Not clever
>>
>>31248016
>it's because it's seldom used as a monster/creature design, and not as creatively as Pokémon does it.

Okay, let me get this straight. So its clever because less people like it in other games, thus it isn't widely used, and Pokemon makes it look more appealing than its other iterations, despite the fact it is just as unpopular in Pokemon?
If so, I agree. It is really clever.
>>
i want to shove my dick in probopass' nose and tangle it with his nosehair
>>
>>31248016
That's not why it's a clever design.
>>
>>31248064
I don't find flaws in that list. 5/5
>>
>>31248090
Like literally 80% of all Pokemon that combine 2 or more concepts into one? And that actually look good?
>>
>>31248103
>another moon princess hater
>>
>>31248103
You're not clever!
>>
>>31248186
Except Charizard does begin and end with fire lizard dragon
>>
File: 200_s.gif (41KB, 356x200px) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
41KB, 356x200px
>>31246987
Stunfisk has a goofy charm going for it so its fine.
>>
>>31246608
those designs may be shit but there are plenty of official pokemon designs that are worse, especially gen 4-on.
>>
>>31247848
Oh boy, the elemental wolves XD somehow they fucked up harder than with the monkeys.
>>
>>31248475
Nope it combines salamanders, dragons, fire, and the entire mythology behind association between salamanders with fire. The dragon concept itself is quite nuanced, as it's a concept developed over thousands of years across different cultures.

It's just as easy to say that Probopass begins and ends with "moai + compass". Probopass is not especially clever, because most pokémon already combine 2 or more concepts.

>>31247848
Most of this thread says "it's clever because it's obscure" and that's a load of horseshit. I'm sure pokémon players on Easter Island are not nearly as wow'd by Probopass.

And in the end what matters for a pokémon design is to be appealing. I never heard anyone say "Sure Goodra looks like shit, but it's based on a french snail dragon so it's cool!"
>>
"good" designs are the waifus and furry bait
"bad" designs are the unfuggable ones
>>
>>31245227
>not uncle goldberg
>>
File: 2016-11-06 07.37.05.png (823KB, 2546x2601px) Image search: [Google]
2016-11-06 07.37.05.png
823KB, 2546x2601px
>>31245487
Here ya go. Now his teeth are his "eyes"
>>
>>31247402
>thinks this shit is clever
Give it a flame tail than we'll talk
>>
>>31249924
cute santa face

i´d like it more like that
>>
>>31245149
Probopass' design is awesome because a bunch of clever things come together in one neat package.

It's just its fucking eyes that kill it. Looks goofy.
>>
Being based on something or being "clever" doesn't automatically make it a good design.
>>
>>31245733
>Isn't it only hated to justify future generations introducing more object-based designs?
It's hated because it's a mimic that isn't a mimic but rather just the chest with eyes.
>>
>>31250537
Nobody argued that it did.
>>
>>31249126
Except those two things are much more integrated with each other than the fact that salamanders like warm things, and that people made stupid stories about big fire breathing flying lizards.

Also, if hurr durr dragons is supposed to be as clever as something that takes as much research, time and effort as a design like probopass, doesn't that mean each and every dragon is intrinsically clever just because it's a dragon? That's what you're arguing, that dragons have a billion stories made about them, therefore clever.
>>
>>31250224
There is nothing wrong with goofy.

We have a turtle with cannons and a pink hipo with a shell on its tail, this franchise runs on puns and cool cartoony stuff.

Gen4 did a lot of weird stuff design wise but Probopass is one of the stuff that is so Pokémon it hurts, and that's what makes him great.
>>
File: mew.png (73KB, 409x434px) Image search: [Google]
mew.png
73KB, 409x434px
>>31247751
mew also have a clever design
egyptians cat + Spermatozoon is pretty neat
>>
>>31250800
For someone who didn't grow up listening to dragon stories, absolutely. You only think Probopass is clever and Charizard "mundane", because you have dragons plastered all over pop culture, while Moais only are heard of occasionally, thus they are much more exotic to you. If, however you were an African kid raised in buttfucking nowhere, you'd be pretty wow'd by the concepts of the salamanders, dragons, fire and mythology that are all blended to make the Charizard line.

>Except those two things are much more integrated with each other

It's really not, and even if it were, salamanders and fire, and dragons and fire are just as integrated if not more, because of how popular those ideas are in several myths across different cultures.
>>
File: mew_tattoo_by_0okamiseishin.png (224KB, 438x409px) Image search: [Google]
mew_tattoo_by_0okamiseishin.png
224KB, 438x409px
>>31251006
It's a fetus not a sperm... The tail is an umbilical cord.
>>
>>31251269
Who do you think plays pokemon?
>>
>>31247002
you just cancelled out the same word.
concept and design are the same thing, as a product is based on a concept and a concept is based on a planned design.

I think what you actually meant was that a good design =/= pleasing. Because if a design is supposed to be displeasing or weird to the masses, then it actually was designed incredibly well if it performed that task. Probopass is OBVIOUSLY one of those, where a minority will love it and the majority dislike it. It's not supposed to be pleasing to you, it's just supposed to exist for variety.

Aesthetically, to most, it is not pleasing due to reasons involving association, relativity and objective. Regardless of majority, it is still just your personal taste and take on what is successful. Thing is, even with understanding that, I still wouldn't use it. This is basically liking something because it's ugly and different (which still objectively makes it successful as a design). This is sort of like how people can like specific gross monsters in other games, "I LOVE boomers" but it's stuill grotesque and unappealing.
>>
>>31246025
What about geodude?
>>
>>31246608

That fucking umbrella tho
>>
>>31245479

I was going to say Crabominable, but you gone and done it instead.

I mean, I already kinda warmed up to its design and found it cute in a oaf-ish kind of way before any of these posts happened, but when I grabbed a Crabrawler without absolutely knowing how to evolve it I went unspoiled, then my Balboa finally evolving in Mt. Lanakila, it fucking hit me like a truck, the whole concept, the whole idea, I practically fell in love with the thought of it all. Like a Crabrawler training to its very best in the snow, that's the kind of imagery I get when I picture Crabrawler transitioning into Crabominable. And to some people, Crabominable is really fucking relatable too, the thought of losing yourself and not really knowing what to do from there on, but then possibly finding a way to redeem yourself and possibly "teach your ways".

Sure, he may not look like a handsome crab, but damn, he sure got me in concerns to the very idea behind its concept.
>>
>>31245149
(((((Probopass)))))
>>
File: IMG_7428.png (65KB, 500x372px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7428.png
65KB, 500x372px
>>31246241
>>
>>31245417

I don't even think much of Incineroar but seeing you go this far to put it down makes me laugh at you.
Thread posts: 163
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.