[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Other than slow battles, why don't people like gen 4? Is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: download.jpg (15KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
15KB, 300x168px
Other than slow battles, why don't people like gen 4? Is it because it didn't bring anything new to the franchise? I personally love it to death, I had a ridiculous amount of fun playing.
>>
>>31216109
I know you said "other than slow battles", but that's really it for me. Gen VI and VII have the same problem, but not nearly as bad.
>>
I hated it, then I watched Chuggaconroy's Platinum LP, played it again on emulator, and now I love it. I think Diamond and Pearl were both pretty weak games, which left a bad taste in people's mouths, even though I consider Platinum and HGSS some of the best Pokemon has to offer.

The designs can be kinda bad, though. I mean look at Probopass and Magmortar, or Purrugly. It had some good shit too, I think. (Rotom, Luxray, Garchomp.) Plus the Physical/Special split is, I think, the most important thing to ever happen to Pokemon since Red and Green were released.
>>
>>31216109
>didn't bring anything new to the franchise
>>special/physical split
The main reason why I dislike it is because of the slowness but if you take that out then I'd have to say the Pokedex, distribution, and region itself just make playing through the games not fun and this is coming from someone who unironically loves the sea routes from gens 1-3.

Plus, the dex has a lot of Pokemon that feel like duds in that they're annoying to fight against and useless to use. The only thing I really liked about gen 4 was the difficulty.
>>
>>31216109
I didn't care for the legendaries or the sudden appearance of a literal god figure in the lore.
>>
I personally didn't like gen 3, so 4 really made it up for me. Guess I like mountains more than the ocean. I didn't even mind the speed at first, but yeah, Platinum makes it obsolete for that reason alone.
>>
D/P had a bunch of stupid design decisions like Fantina telling you to fuck off and come back later. Norman is the only gym leader where it would make any sense for them to tell you to come back later.
>>
>>31216214
They changed that in Platinum but I personally felt that throwing Fantina at you two badges into the game was a shit decision.
>>
File: 1349765682818.jpg (43KB, 182x191px) Image search: [Google]
1349765682818.jpg
43KB, 182x191px
Forgettable cast of ( 15! ) legendaries.
Very little choice of viable pokemon, leading to almost everyone running the same team. Staraptor, Luxray, Infernape etc
Too many entries which extend evolutions from previous gens.
Does anyone remember any of the Elite 4 besides Cynthia?
Team Galactic.

Sure, Gen 4 brought some good things but I felt the cons outweigh the pros.
>>
>>31216109
Mt. Coronet is apparently a big problem to a vocal minority
>>
People don't like HMs.

Sinnoh uses HMs. A lot.

But at least Sinnoh had Bibarel, the reliable HM Slave.
>>
>>31216890
>But at least Sinnoh had Bibarel, the reliable HM Slave.
This. It was better than Gen 3 when you needed a separate Water HM slave. It was also nice that you had more visibility in fogs than darkness.
>>
>slow as fuck battles
>shit pacing early on
>way too many pointless legendaries
>lots of filler mons except the new evolutions
>many of the Sinnoh Pokemon are annoying as hell to find (honey trees, one route encounters, Great Marsh daily bullshit, Spiritomb)
>really bad Pokedex, suffers very heavily from "new stuff is rare as fuck or useless aside from like 4 things while Zubat and Geodude infest every area" syndrome, yet almost all the new evolutions are locked to postgame because WHY
>saving takes an eternity if you so much as enter a box
>overuse of HMs even compared to other games

DP are good, but really weak for Pokemon. Platinum is basically the game DP should have been. DP always felt tedious to me. I actually like a lot of the Pokemon, but there's so much shit like Burmy and Combee.
>>
>>31216182
>There hasn't been a sea route since Emerald
what went wrong
>>
>>31216987

Unova had several. Even Sinnoh had a few.
>>
>>31216109
Aside from the slowness, the regional Dex was pretty weak with 27% of the new mons just being a new evolutionary stage for previous mons. I'm glad some Johto mons got new evolutions like Gliscor and Yanmega, but I prefer when original designs make up a region. I also think the world is also more believable when a new species is found in a different region more so than a new stage of evolution for a previously known pokemon just because the Dex needed more designs.
>>
>>31216987
>4 literal tropical islands have like 3 places to surf onto
Really made me think
>>
>>31216109
People love platinum, but D&P had one of the worst regional dexes along with bloated and convoluted routes with hm use. Unova was a streamlined pile of "wow its fucking nothing" besides being forced to use an entire insular dex of new mons, but the routes were actually nice to travel and the dex didn't have pointless filler evos/ prevos you wouldn't even see or use until post game.
>>
>>31216996
The route from Sunyshore to Victory Road is the only one off the top of my head for Sinnoh.
>>
>>31216109
The poor selection of pokemon, it's a shame that you couldn't use the crossgen evolutions int he main game. It has a bad story, bad elite four, it wasn't very exciting to play. Platinum, however, fixed this.
>>
>>31216109
>Choose Turtwig as starter because I didn't want to play with another Fire/Fighting starter
>Am now locked out of using a decent fire type for a majority of the game

The music wasn't that appealing to me either. The only tracks I liked were the gym leader theme and Giratina's. Team Galactic had a goal too damn ridiculous for me to take seriously, and Cyrus wasn't that memorable. Not to mention having to constantly carry an HM slave with me. Platinum is an okay game but I never want to go back to Diamond and Pearl.
>>
What about the level jump from the eighth gym to the elite 4? It was pretty brutal.
>>
>>31216179
>Probopass
>Purugly
>bad

>Garchomp
>anything more than decent

this garbage taste
>>
>>31216109
Weather based legendaries to gods of creation was a bit of a leap to swallow.

Region also felt kind of slow, the underground minigame was fun as fuck with friends though.
>>
>>31219058
Made the same mistake in Diamond. Felt like your rival and all route trainers where using all the Pokemon you were using.
>>
I thought the "GBA pack enables other Pokemon to spawn" thing was neat even though I sold all my GBA games, all non-Emerald games, before D/P came out
>>
>>31216109
Other than the slow speed, shit graphics and too many HMs, all which are enough to make me not enjoy a game on their own, the Pokedex was really disappointing.
26% of the dex was just cross-gen evolutions, and another 14% is just Legendaries. If you take out shitmons like Bidoof and Lumineon, you get a really boring dex.
>>
I actually kinda want to play gen IV again, but want something a little fresher. Are there any good gen iv hacks, or should I just go ahead with Platinum?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.