[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are these games so loved nowadays? It was so hated back

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 150
Thread images: 10

File: images (7).jpg (40KB, 669x220px) Image search: [Google]
images (7).jpg
40KB, 669x220px
Why are these games so loved nowadays? It was so hated back early 2000's
>>
Only emerald is

Ruby and sapphire are one of the most barebones pokemon game
>>
>>31188747
People who grew up with them and played them as their first game are grown ass adults now.
>>
>>31188747
Because people who first played it grew up
>>
R/S were hated for being bare bones follow ups that didn't let people trade their mons over from gen 2. Emerald is loved since it has more shit to do, a better plot (Steven actually doing shit) and was after everyone could regain all their old mons Lugia aside (GoD came after Emerald IIRC)
>>
I never got the hate back in 2004... these games were way better than the first two
>>
>>31188802
True words.
>>
>not as linked to the original games as GSC were
>new pokemon that were very hit-or-miss back in the day due to being very different from anything in the first 2 gens
>completely new antagonists, sounds silly nowadays, but it was pretty jarring when this was only the third installment in the main series
I feel like this is why Gen 3 is considered the end of Pokemania, since it caused a lot of normalfags to drop off. 14 years later, with these things becoming tradition in the franchise, along with what >>31188823 said, people are beginning to tolerate Hoenn more.

Also, RS are still considered mediocre, OP. Emerald is the one everyone loves.
>>
>>31188747
I really liked R/S, they got me back into Pokemon after all my friends dropped the series when G/S came out.
>>
Honestly I loved these games back then and now. Back then the graphics that the Advance was capable of (Mainly the COLOR) just really helped breathe a lot of life into the game for me. Not to mention in a LOT of the official art of gens one and two the colors for pretty much everything was really washed out and RSE didn't really have that problem at all.
>>
I was going to say nostalgia, but to be fair RSE actually does benefit a lot from time passing. Back then the lack of transfer between it and GSC was a major bummer, but it's hard to care about that years later. Same with all the absent/unobtainable Pokemon.
>>
I loved emerald

But i didnt get to play any of the hoenn games during its heyday
>>
>>31189625
You can fucking boot up RSE and transfer any pokemon you catch in it all the way to XY and ORAS, SM too soon
>>
>>31189773
Hes talking about how pokemon from GSC and RBY couldnt carry over to gen 3
>>
People also stupidly complained there was no Kanto/Johto to travel back to. R/S didn't let you revisit an old region like GS did.

Meanwhile this became a staple for all games going forward.
>>
>>31188802
And they're the one they decided to remake instead of the good version. How fucking brainless is game freak.
>>
>>31188970
A lot of it was because of the removal of the day/night cycle. It sounds dumb as fuck now, but people really cared about that apparently and were pissed off.
>>
I was 8 years when they came. I loved I don't know anything about the backlash
>>
>>31189866
I think the only thing i wanted from emerald was the battle frontier
>>
>>31189828
I know.
>>31189833
I'll admit I was a bit disappointed, but good god we dodged a bullet in hindsight. Looking back, GSC's inclusion of kanto was probably one of the WORST things about the game, since a LOT of pokemon (Namely half the entire dark type) Were locked behind it, and they also completely half assed the whole thing since everything was the same level as in RBY, which basically meaned if you wanted to catch a houndour, evolve it into a houndoom, AND use it? You had to both beat the game, AND grind it around 30 levels until It's usable.
>>
emulation became widespread so retarded normies/genwunners finally got to play emerald and see how much better it was
>>
>>31188970
R/S are not better than G/S/C
>>
In my experience, everyone I knew loved it at first. Now they hate it.
>>
>>31189899
I dont know about the backlash, but at that point most people were just tired of pokemon. A lot of people who played rby just grew out of it
>>
>>31188747
People are older and out of their "pokemon is shit because I'm not a kid" phase. That, and coming back to play it years afterwards made me realize it was actually pretty good.
>>
>>31189968
to me they were..... but then again my gold cartridge had a broken internal battery and constantly playing from the beginning got to be too much of a chore
>>
>>31189968
They're better once you take off your incredibly thick nostalgia goggles.
>>
>>31189968
it is. HG/SS are better than R/S though
>>
File: 1480405998768.png (134KB, 749x726px) Image search: [Google]
1480405998768.png
134KB, 749x726px
>>31188747
A lot of the hate wasn't really justified. Fans expected way too much because the series was still fairly new (remember that this was 14 years ago). Most were bummed with the lack of compatibility between the first two generations but it was physically impossible to pull that off with the changes they made. As a result you had to start from scratch which was fine to newcomers and annoying for regular fans. Starting from scratch meant using mainly gen 3 Pokemon whose designs were much different than the first two gens which drew older fans away (much like what happened with Black and White). It basically boiled down to "these designs aren't the Pokemon I remember so I hate them". That's why most of the people who like R/S/E grew up with them because majority of the older fans left the series at that point. That doesn't make them bad it just made them polarizing.

Time definitely helped them get more appreciated and gen V took their place as the "most controversial" gen for the fanbase. It was just an awkward time for the series with the lack of online and having to start from scratch.
>>
>>31189910
I NEED THAT BATTLE SCENE
>>
>>31188747
It was only "hated" by genwunners who didn't even play them (look at the player drop out rate between gens 1 to 3) and muh bro fags who were assblasted they couldn't sent their lv.100 Charizards overfed with MissingNo Rare Candies. Finally, there were actual retards who really believed they retconned half of the dex.
>>
I remember getting Sapphire for Christmas and going through the entire game in one day. And that felt kinda cool to me, because previously, it took me a while to beat any of the games...

And then it got boring real fast and I went back to Gold for a while.
>>
>>31188747
Hoennbabbies, like me
>>
I remember trading my copy of Ruby for a dudes copy of Crystal. Never been a fan of gen 3. I liked Emerald though.
>>
they are arguably the biggest upgrades to their previous generation. i wish we could go back to sprites with comfy 60 fps like in gen 3.
>>
Even though gen 3 isnt among my favourite generations it also isnt among my least favorites

Its pretty decent

I do appreciate they had guts to break away fom the Kanto-Johto area/story and that allowed them freedom and set a trend that is present till today. It was a game with so many new stuff to Pokemon world: never before seen areas like desert, volcano, routes with falling ash, city on tress, town on water, city in a giant crater, rainy routes, underwater. Features like contests, bases, frontier

Its solid
>>
When I first played these games I loved them
>>
>>31188747

It was most of this board's first Pokemon games. Most of the people who started with Gen 3 are likely 20-24 and the average posting age for 4chan is 18-24 or so. Most of the Gen 1 and 2 OGs are approaching 30 or older and have other responsibilities and interests other than 4chan and Pokemon.
>>
>>31190920
The graphics upgrade really helped to breathe life into the series in my opinion. I always viewed pokemon as being very colorful creatures and the GBC's limited color palatte and the fact that prety much all of gen one's official art and a good deal of gen two's "Colors" were more or less the pokemon being entirely white with only the shadows having actual color did not help
>>
>>31188747
Emerald was the last good pokemon game.
>>
>>31190312
looks like you should do that.
>>
>>31188747
Is this a meme? These games were fantastic and everybody loved them, there was no hate at all
>>
>>31192411
>Is this a meme? These games were fantastic and everybody loved them, there was no hate at all
apparently not
>>
>>31189866

>brainless

They're not brainless at all - they know they can choose the game with lesser effort required and it will still sell.
>>
>>31188802
>the most barebones pokemon game
less barebones than Gold and Silver
>>
RS killed Pokemon. DP revived the franchise.
Let that sink in. :)
>>
>>31192411
>These games were fantastic and everybody loved them
Everybody still playing, yeah.

This gen killed the pokemon craze.
>>
>>31188747
They laid the foundation for all the current battle mechanics. Abilities, Natures, Breeding Mechanics and the current Berry regime all started in RSE. How can one not love the progenitor of all the mechanics you use?
>>
>>31189547
normalfags drop off because they grew out of it, just like with power rangers
>>
>>31195219
>gba sold 81miliion units
>ds sold 154million units
>r/s/e sold 22million copies
>d/p/pt sold 25million copies
:^)
>>
>>31188747
>It was so hated back early 2000's
No they weren't. Just look at any forum or magazine.
>>
File: 1410047831367.jpg (569KB, 640x3060px) Image search: [Google]
1410047831367.jpg
569KB, 640x3060px
>>
File: electrode_laugh.png (67KB, 449x1197px) Image search: [Google]
electrode_laugh.png
67KB, 449x1197px
>>31195294
>sold more than rs
>>
>>31189547
>since it caused a lot of normalfags to drop off.
They dropped off mid gen 2 which is why the anime ratings and Crystal sales tookn a nosedive.
>>
>>31195270
because it was gen I and gen II that gave us more important stuff
>>
>>31195311
this is why people hate hoennbabies
>>
>>31189968
From a purely mechanical and content standpoint, yes they are.
>>
>>31195270
>Abilities
Boring, rushed and repetitive abilities. Gen V had to save this shit gen's ass with hidden abilities.
>Natures
Just what everyone wanted, to be punished for catching a wild pokemon you like!
>Breeding mechanics
Damn near every game has added something to breeding
>berries
Wow, another boring time waster.
>>
>>31195314
By 3 mil on a vastly more popular system. In other words RSE had a larger comparative reach than DPPt.
>>
File: 117986.1447080860.jpg (34KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
117986.1447080860.jpg
34KB, 500x375px
>>31195350
>boring, rushed and repetivie
>>
>>31195372
You're a special breed, aren't you. 25 mil is nothing to sneeze at and despite it being on the most popuular system, gen 3 was also responsible for killing Pokemania. Ask any old fan.
>>
File: 1411602265715.jpg (38KB, 533x401px) Image search: [Google]
1411602265715.jpg
38KB, 533x401px
>>31195311
>"Jesus Christ" - God himself
>>
File: 1424626461389.gif (2MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1424626461389.gif
2MB, 480x360px
>>31195350
>>
>>31195404
>Chlorophyll for almost any grass type, even slow ones like Exeggutor
>Lightning Rod totally useless in singles
>Inner Focus
>Stench
>Illuminate
>Sturdy was useless
>Pressure for almost any legendary
>Infinitive weather
>>
>>31195407
>gen 3 was also responsible for killing Pokemania. Ask any old fan.
Any fan would tell you that GSC killed pokemania.
And for good reason too. In addition to the game being a rehash of RBY to the point of using downgraded gen 1 sprites the anime for most of its run was in total filler hell and even had the GS ball arc abandoned in its entirety. And as you know the anime was essentially the driving force behind the series in the West.

A combination of these factors is what killed pokemania fairly quickly as represented by Crystal's sales numbers being a paltry 0.10 above Emerald and considerably lower merchandise sales.

It's also why no one remembers Johto mon. Well, and the fact they were as rare a smart tripfag, Mr. Two Genders.
>>
>>31195483
>Any fan would tell you that GSC killed pokemania.
I'm a fan and I wouldn't say that. Also, the rehash of pokemon was gen III. Look at gen III. One region, random evil team, just replace the older characther with boring copies, aka a boring casualization of the formula.
>Crystal's sales
When will this meme die? There is a lot of reason on why Crystal sold bad. All third versions( except Yellow, due obvious reasons) sold pretty much the same. Normies don't care about a game that is 90% of a game that they already have.
>It's also why no one remembers Johto mon
There is a lot of people who started with gen I that says that Gen II was the peak of the franchise.
>>
>>31195530
You do realise that you've failed to actually address anything that was posted there right?
All you've done is show a lack of understanding as to what rehash means and essentially make a long and drawn out nuh uh.

Also if Crystal was part of the Pokemania time frame it would have been at least within range of half of GS' sales. Just make note of the fact it barely sold a quarter of it.

To sun things up you need to stop looking at things with nostalgia goggles. That or somehow obtain a time machine and experience the fall for yourself.
>>
>>31195483
Nope. RS killed Pokemania and possibly the franchise. GSC actually felt like a sequel to RBY, whereas RSE did not. Guess who directed RS by the way?
Anyway:
>One region that was disconnected from the previous games
>Couldn't trade over old Polemon from the GB games
>Two shitty evil teams with shitty goals
>Designs that are extremely hit or miss
>Lots of added fluff no one cared about at the time, seriously, natures?
>Too much water was a serious thing and bad game design
>No day and night when gb games could do it
>locked the Johto starters behind shitty Gamecube game and a shitty third version

I can go on. People just did not like RS when they released and for good reason.
>>
>>31195530
>One region, random evil team, just replace the older characther with boring copies, aka a boring casualization of the formula.
So introducing new shit is a rehash now?
Show me where the contests and bases were in 1 and 2.
Or how about the two teams.
Where was Hoenn in gen 1 and 2 anyway? Last time I checked it was Johto and Kanto only.
Hell they didn't even have proper color.

That being said
What game reused Kanto shit?
What game paraded gen 1 mon more than the new mon?
What game had the climax of the main story set outside of its native region and in the old one?
>>
>>31195609
>shitty Gamecube games and a shitty third version
Kill yourself, you mentally ill retard. Pokemania was already dying out by the time of Crystal anyway, not that an underage faggot like you would know.
>>
>>31188747
Disconnect from the previous gens. I actually liked that. I also liked how gen V did pretty much the same thing.
>>
>>31195609
>I can go on
You can't actually. The only legitimate complaint there is the transfer and that was never a big concern among most fans due to the fact it was a while new game that looked and played differently from the last two.
If you want I could pull out a few of my old Nintendo UK magazines when I make it home and show you what Nintendo's smallest and most fickle audience thought of it.
>>
>>31195574
>rerash
The rerash of an old plot. You're a kid, catch pokemon, get 8 badges, fight one generic evil team, beat the league and that's it. That's RBY formula. That formula was used in gens III-VI. It's the same game but with different charactes/pokemon.
>Also if Crystal was part of the Pokemania
Like I said, all third versions sold pretty much the same. I didn't buy Crystal back then because I was already disapointed with Yellow. Third versions is just a way that GF found to pick your money again. I'm glad it was over. Or you can explain to me why someone should buy a third version.
>nostalgia goggles
you really like memes, don't you?
>>31195638
see, the post.
ALso, contests are irrelevant, only Hoennbabbies like the villains of gen III.
>Where was Hoenn in gen 1 and 2 anyway?
I don't know. It was just a generic region. It was replaced already in gen IV.
>What game reused Kanto shit?
>shit
I always forget that this board is full of underagers that can only say "shit" all the time.
It's like saying that Zelda games are bad because you go to Hyrule all the time.
>>
>>31189968
they are way better, anon
>>
>>31195653
>He likes the most boring spinoffs in existence
Maybe I went overboard with Emerald. The only thing I liked there was the Battle Frontier.
>>
>>31195681
>It's like saying that Zelda games are bad because you go to Hyrule all the time.
Because it's literally Hyrule in name only retard. Just compare something like Minish Cap's Hyrule and OOTs literally two different locations geographically.
>>
>>31195653
Pretty sure you're underage since the only ones who liked Gen 3 were little kids new to Pokemon like you probably were back then. Not to mention your tendency to lash out and call people "mentally ill retards" for having a different opinion than you.
>>
>>31195734
No one was talking about Stadium 2.
>>
>>31195751
You do realise there's a difference between clashing opinions and one person failing to listen to the truth right?
You and the tripfag are in full blown denial at the moment.
>>
>>31195739
Exactly my point. Go to the same region doens't mean nothing, if you do something different, if the region changed. But it looks like that anons in this board only played pokemon in their lives, with means you do the same but in different regions.
>>
>>31195751
I'm calling him a mentally ill retard because he is, not just because of this thread. Put your trip back on Jimbo.
>>
>>31195311
FLYGON
ROTFLMAO
>>
>>31195773
>My opinion is truth
nice

BTW I'm not Jimbo or the other anon you were arguing with, dumbass
>>
well I played it as a kid and most other people I knew that played them liked them too so I don't remember them being hated back then.
>>
>>31195785
>You are one in the same if you share opinions
Oh fuck off already. Gen III fans are seriously the worst.
>>
>>31195785
Oh right, I forgot he had his trip on.

>tfw you actually agree with Jimmy "Two Genders" Neutron
>>
>>31195751
I played gen I and II and was still a kid when gen III came out lmfao
>>
>>31195844
>was still a kid when gen III
there's your problem
>>
>>31195844
Nice falseflagging
>>
>>31195857
don't get what you're talking about since (different anon) here. Was just saying alot of people were (still kid) during the release of all three that's probably why alot of people are getting offended over others not liking them.
>>
I think RSE had a lot in its region that the next gen, and possibly gen 5, didn't reach in its variety. Gen 3 was so colorful and tropical, even the caves had variety. The improved Surfing speed made not even the water routes near the end feel as long.

Plus, the new coding pokemon in gen 3 is stable enoguh to be transferred forward to gen 7, and that's pretty admirable.
>>
>>31188747
First game i played. Ruby was hella fun and i replayed it so many times. Actually havent even played emerald yet.
>>
>>31189910
>Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza Battle scene
>Mirage Tower and Desert Underpass
>Terra Cave and Marine Cave instead of just one legendary
>Team Magma and Aqua Hideouts with sense, since I don't know why Magma would make a hideout that needs surf to be accessed
>Juan is better than Faggot Wallace
>Trainer Hill was actually funny.
>More double battles
>>
>>31195918
what are you talking about the span of gen I to III in the UK was 1999-2003 and I was 5 in 1999... and played the first 3 gens in my childhood. Gen IV onwards I was teen to adult.
>>
>>31195924
I get what you're saying. Gen 3 came out when I was a teenager and nobody in my age group that I know liked them when they came out. The fact that we were getting too old for Pokemon and grew out of the fad might be part of that, but it certainly wasn't because Gen 2 was so shit that it killed out interest in Pokemon like the other anon was implying.
>>
File: IMG_9529.jpg (82KB, 500x414px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9529.jpg
82KB, 500x414px
Since this seems to be a decent place to ask:
Anyone know the expected/average flash save limit for an Emerald cartridge? I've had this thing for quite a while, and I'm concerned about potentially hitting the limit soon.
>>
>>31196088
>but it certainly wasn't because Gen 2 was so shit that it killed out interest in Pokemon like the other anon was implying.
For you maybe the rest of the fanbase?
That's a different story, it's a shame you can't recall early forums about how shit they were.
>>
>>31196088
Yeah I agree I can't see how Gen II would have killed the trend when it was released so close to the first games and Pokémon lasted longer than one year. Gen IV feels like the game after Pokémon's peak for me but it was probably III I was just too young to realise.
>>
>>31196165
That's honestly the problem with a lot of people here.
They're either too young to remember or have an extreme nostalgia bias for their favourite gen. Unless you were like 12 or something at the tone of RB's release you're going to get everything about the past and changes in the series.
>>
>>31196160
Which forums specifically are you referring to? I'd like to see them. Back in the day it seemed like the consensus was that Gen 2 was pretty good. People still remember it as a high point, though it hasn't aged well obviously.
>>
>>31196228
No one, he was creating those forums with his mind.
>>
>>31196221
>They're either too young to remember or have an extreme nostalgia bias for their favourite gen.
This is definitely true. Just look at the Hoennbabies who argue with anyone who says that it had a mixed reception. I guess some Johtoddlers do that too, but at least for me, Gen 2 is far from my favorite gen and I still remember it being well liked.
>>
>>31196108
I think it was somewhere around 30 years.
>>
>>31196374
>who says that it had a mixed reception.
Nigga what?
You must be crazy if you think they had a mixed reception when they were released. It wasn't until about 2012 that people started to actively shit on them.
>>
>>31188747
I actually went back and played them after not playing Pokémon since gen 2 and honestly I think they offer the most based on region alone. A lot of the issues that people are saying are irrelevant nowadays so you can enjoy the games to their fullest.
>>
>>31196499
Pretty much. They were only disappointing when they were first released. Though I'm still not a fan of the layout of the region.
>>
>>31189833
>People also stupidly complained there was no Kanto/Johto to travel back to

Then they missed the point of Hoenn.
>>
>>31196839
It's not about missing the point. Not everybody liked that it was a soft reboot.
>>
>>31196854
So they wanted Kanto 3.0 and Johto 2.0?

Genwunners are the true cancer.
>>
>>31196463
You were a kid back then, right?
Many people who started with gen I barely liked those games back then. I guess if you read this thread you will find some similar posts.
Also, the post you replyied was right. Hoennbabies who argue with anyone who says that it had a mixed reception.
>>
>>31196900
In a way, Hoenn was like Kanto 1.5.
>>
>>31195112
Nah that's the problem, it removed a ton of things GS added.
>>
>>31195112
They removed features from the gsc games to get The RS games to work

Checkmate atheists
>>
>This is definitely true. Just look at the Hoennbabies who argue with anyone who says that it had a mixed reception.

>>31196463
This is what I mean.
>>
>>31196463
Use of "nigga" aside I have to agree.
The games were met with near universal praise for creating a new world. At the most as far as legitimate criticism goes you would get things like this
>Nintendo has yet again made an excellent game. Some say Pokemon has grown childish but if you play the game you'll warm to it in a mere ten minutes due to the lush scenery, the crisp graphics and the deep gameplay. You'll want to play this game until the batteries go flat, although the big let down is that it isn't backwards compatible, so you can only get 200 out of the 351 created in all the games but other than that it's great.
and this
>I was salivating with expectation for this game and I ripped the pack open like a crazy man. Wow! What a game! In my opinion it's the best game yet with brilliant graphics and a huge world to explore. I miss some if the older Pokemon, but the new ones are almost as good. I really like the new contests too.

And extremely rarely ones like this
>I'm very unhappy about the new Pokemon games because Nintendo has not yet made one that's got all of the Pokemon in it. I think that if Nintendo keeps bringing out new Pokemon games without including all the old classics (like Charmander and his buddies) people will get bored of not being able to catch them all, or not being able to trade with an older game.
It's also worth noting that comparisons with Gold and Silver were hard to come by as most people hadn't played since Red and Blue.
The few that did compare it to GS were of the "meme tier" variety that barely address the game.
>Pokemon games have always been brilliant, but Sapphire is totally rubbish. The Game Boy Advance is so much more powerful than the Game Boy Color but you would never get that impression from playing this game. Very little has changed and some of the things from Gold and Silver have gone. That's all wrong! Bring back the old Pokemon Nintendo they were so much better!

At least this was the case in the UK.
>>
>No backwards compatibility
>No way to catch them all meaning some of your favorites might not be available
>Removal of Day and Night
>Removal of week days and daily events
>Removal of Radio and Phone features
>Evil teams had absolutely ridiculous goals
>Abilities made some pokemon way more annoying to deal with
>Heavy focus on legendaries in the story
>Water
>Trumpets
>The only things you can explore are the water routes which are a whole lot of nothing
>Some events would never happen but you had no way of knowing that
>Regi puzzle is cryptic bullshit no kid would know about
>No postgame area
>No supertrainer like Red
>Battle Tower only has lvl 50 and lvl 100 options
>Some areas like the Safari Zone require a pokeblock case and getting it wasn't exactly obvious.
>Feebas being stupidly difficult to find and evolve
>Rock Smash is an HM
>Punished players who wanted to use the pokemon caught in the hot areas by adding a ton of much better water types later on
>diving was underwhelming, you moved at snails pace and had only 3 variations of pokemon
Emerald eventually tried to fix this mess but RS are probably the worst games in the series.
>>
>>31196463
http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Generation_III:_Criticized_too_often%3F

>gen 3 was so controversial bulbapedo made an article defending it in 2010

I'm guessing you're either too young to remember people shitting on it earlier than 2012 or you're only choosing not to remember it because you like it and want to believe that everyone agreed with you. Since I also like Gen 3 I don't really understand that. Just because something is hated by normies doesn't mean it's bad.
>>
>>31197052
>At least this was the case in the UK.
Might be a regional thing then. The sense I get is that it was a lot more mixed here in the US.
>>
>>31195483
Wrong
Everyone at my school was still into it back then and they were hyped for RS but when RS came out and people couldn't get their bros there and had absolutely nothing to do after beating the game like in gen 1 they forgot about them. It didn't help that the games required a new system.
>>
>>31197145
>and had absolutely nothing to do after beating the game
Despite having more content than GSC. Something don't add up son.
>>
>>31191192
>Most of the Gen 1 and 2 OGs are approaching 30 or older and have other responsibilities and interests other than 4chan and Pokemon.
what
>>
>>31197176
GSC gave the impression of having more content overall because of the postgame. But it was just a trick since they put the credits in the middle of the game instead of the ending. Still, I think it's cool when they at least give us some new area to explore after the credits which Gen 3 didn't really do until FRLG and Emerald.
>>
>>31197176
One legendary and a battle tower? Yeah, we got that in gen II and much more.
>>
>>31197182
Sadly, he's kinda right. I'm in my mid to late 20s and I'm usually one of the oldest people in the threads where everyone says their age.
>>
These games were the true gateway Pokemon games until Gen 5. Gen 4 was the best generation, but everyone that was going to be into Pokemon got into it at Gen 3, until Gen 5 soft-rebooted the series to bring more new fans.
>>
File: Pokemon-Gold.png (22KB, 544x368px) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon-Gold.png
22KB, 544x368px
>>31190920
>>31191692

I prefered Gen 2's sprites to gen 3's for some reason. It's down to personal taste but Gen 3's graphics just felt a tad... antiseptic. Despite having more colors they all seemed less vibrant. And the in-battle sprites were about as close to an objective downgrade as you could get. Not only were they less ferocious looking, but now they weren't even animated.
>>
>>31195483
All my normie friends who quit in gen 2 loved GSC. Face it, gen 3 just had bad word of mouth. Also didn't help that most of us were hitting our teenage years when gen 3 rolled around.
>>
>>31197176
>More content than GSC
Large amounts of empty oceanfloor with 3 pokemon families and collecting soot isn't much more content.
>>
>>31195609
Shame you had to ruin your decent argument by using a trip.
>>
>>31195483
How can someone write this with a straight face
>>
>>31197217
>4 Legendary battles and one roamer
>non glitchy tower
>bases you could share with your friends and battle an NPC using their mon
>Contests
>Far more exploration
>Trick house
>Safari Zone
The game Corner even added a new roulette game.
I suppose you could also add the Cycling road time trial thing but that was more of a fun addition than legitimate content.
>>
>>31197420
>All my normie friends who quit in gen 2 loved GSC.
Well, that explains a lot. Your friends had terrible taste.
>>
>>31197420
>All my normie friends who quit in gen 2 loved GSC.
And all of my normie friends quit the gen 2 because they thought the game sucked and ruined their childhood because it fucked with Kanto.
That's the problem with anecdotal evidence you can literally say anything and there's no argument against it. Of course the opposite is true and there's no way to prove that's what happened.
All you can use is factual evidence and the fad clearly hit a wall mid gen 2.
>>
>>31197529
>ruined their childhood because it fucked with Kanto.
So they got out of childhood in a two years period?

I think that your "friends" don't exist.
>>
>>31188747
>Why are these games so loved nowadays?
only emerald is, it was a massive improvement over rs

rs is still good, but nothing special by pokemon standards

emerald ranks alongside platinum, hgss and b2w2 as the cream of the crop of the series
>>
>>31197529
I'd say the fact that so many people are responding to you and disagreeing shows that their anecdotal evidence holds a bit more weight than yours does (which you probably completely made up anyway as >>31197559
said)

>All you can use is factual evidence and the fad clearly hit a wall mid gen 2.
which says nothing about the quality of the games or whether people liked or disliked gen 2, as much as you want it to
>>
>>31197468
>>4 Legendary battles and one roamer
VS 2 legendary battles and 3 roamers in GSC
Same amount of legendaries and I was gonna give that point to you since roamers are bullshit and having 3 of them was unnecessary but then I remembered the Regis were hidden behind a bullshit fucktarded puzzle.
>non glitchy tower
Which also had two level options, you were either 50 or 100, no inbetweens unlike Crystal's forcing you to grind a shitload if you wanted to stand a chance
>Bases you could share with your friends
Point given.
>Contests
Annoying rng bullshit which was shoved down your throat forcing you to get a Pokeblock case to enter the Safari Zone and forcing you to play the dumb berry blending minigame to get some really good blocks to evolve your already elusive Feebas.
>Far more exploration
Large bodies of water leading to nothing isn't exploration. Exploration in land was downright non-existant and the only time I can recall it mattering is in the Meteor Falls.
Diving was downright awful too, it had only 3 pokemon families and one of them had a 1% chance of appearing.
>Trick House
Fun shit to be honest but the prizes were kinda lame
>Safari Zone
Yes! The one thing every kid wanted back, the RNG Zone! At least there weren't any enragingly rare pokemon like gen1 Safari Zone Tauros, Chansey, Pinsir, Scyther or Kangaskhan in terms of encounter rate. Sadly they didn't have any rare Hoenn only pokemon to catch there either so unless you really liked Doduo, Pinsir or Heracross there wasn't much to do there.

All those things you mentioned don't make up for the stuff they removed from GSC anyways.
>>
>>31195924
Someone who was born in 1993, for example:
>6 years old in early 1999 right before Yellow came out, RB still in stores and Pokémania just reaching its peak.
>7 years old when played GS in 2000 or 8 years old when played Crystal in 2001.
>10 years old when RS came out in 2003. Still at most 12 years old when Emerald came out in 2005.
>>
>>31197619
>I'd say the fact that so many people are responding to you and disagreeing
There's four people anon Two of which are jimmy.. That's not "so many" by any means.

>shows that their anecdotal evidence holds a bit more weight
Anecdotal evidence never holds weight unless you have a third party to corroborate their words. And it's highly unlikely that each and every person would share the exact same opinion down to the T.

>which you probably completely made up anyway
Which is the point here. And you two clearly missed it.

>which says nothing about the quality of the games
Except for the fact that the only thing carrying the series at that time was the anime and the games. The TCG had fallen out of the scene by the time GSC rolled along.
>>
>>31197750
>There's four people anon Two of which are jimmy.. That's not "so many" by any means.
Even if you're correct (which I doubt), that's still one to three.

>Anecdotal evidence never holds weight unless you have a third party to corroborate their words.
Which there is.

>Except for the fact that the only thing carrying the series at that time was the anime and the games. The TCG had fallen out of the scene by the time GSC rolled along.
Assuming it was because people thought GS was shit is a huge assumption which isn't really supported by anything besides your own opinion.
>>
>>31197663
>Annoying rng bullshit
Have you only played the Gen 4 version or something? Pretty much everything was determined by your performance and condition of your pokemon including the turn order. As far as RNG goes there were only the moves as per usual.

>Large bodies of water leading to nothing isn't exploration.
Of course not, however large bodies of water, several caves and hidden areas with things to find in them do. Things that GSC lacked in the extreme due to the small size of the region. There were only two areas off to the side and they were the dark cave, which had nothing in it.
And Mt. Mortar where the only thing of note was the Karate Master who gives you a Tyrogue.

>The one thing every kid wanted back
Actually yes, that was one of the biggest complaints about GSC that they removed it for no real reason as with most of Kanto's iconic areas.
>Sadly they didn't have any rare Hoenn only pokemon to catch there either
And that's a bad thing, how? It's essentially the opposite to Johto that put the new Pokemon on the back burner which is why people still mistake Pokemon like Skarmory, Wobbufett and Slugma as Gen 3 Pokemon.

>All those things you mentioned don't make up for the stuff they removed from GSC anyways.
Which basically amounts to just Day and Night which isn't content at all.
>>
>>31197468
Most of that was stuff was optional content that normies didn't know or care about. Which is why he was saying the games weren't as popular.
>>
>>31197812
>Even if you're correct (which I doubt), that's still one to three.
Which leads us to this.
Also there were five replies there. Two of them being Jimmy would make it four unless of course you're admitting to samefagging.

>Which there is.
Unless those people know each other personally (which would mean there's still only four people acting as if they whole world shared their views) then there's no conformation that their words are true.
And given the fact that Gen 2 was essentially the forgotten gen that was clumped into 1 or 3 as far as Pokemon and story goes it's certainly a hard thing to believe. And yes, there's a reason why I used "was" instead of "is" as of the release of HGSS people are using that as the basis of "remembering" gen 2.

>Assuming
Assuming is what you're doing.
Going by the facts and reception of every facet of gen 2 is what I'm doing.

There's also a degree of ignorance on your end seeing as you think it's an opinion that the anime floated the series in the west.
>>
>>31198014
>Of course not, however large bodies of water, several caves and hidden areas with things to find in them do.
The only hidden cave in the water with anything worth of content is the Sky Pillar, the other one is an underwater one room shithole with tons of braile and it's a navigational nightmare with tons of trial and error to get there.
Then there was the Shoal Cave which had literally nothing, was timelocked and was downright above mossdepp if you wanna count that as "several caves and hidden areas"
For the amount of water it had it's fucking embarrassing that the only noteworthy place to visit is the Sky Pillar aka the """""""""`postgame""""""""""" area.
>Actually yes, that was one of the biggest complaints about GSC that they removed it for no real reason as with most of Kanto's iconic areas.
Kids were disappointed that it was removed from Kanto but that didn't mean they wanted it back for Hoenn. That's a common mistake. Thankfully the only worthwhile Pokemon getting in the Hoenn Safari Zone is Heracross.

>Which basically amounts to just Day and Night which isn't content at all.
Day and Night
Radio
Calls
Headbutt being used in the overworld to find Pokemon
No super trainer
No post game content
No week day events
No backwards compatibility
No rematches against trainers
>>
>>31197375
I didn't find this an issue because I never played Crystal. In fact I didn't know anybody who bought Crystal.
>>
>>31198130
>Also there were five replies there. Two of them being Jimmy would make it four unless of course you're admitting to samefagging.
How do you even know that "two of them are Jimmy"? Sounds like you're intentionally underestimating the people in this thread and assuming that they're not being honest because it conflicts with your preconceived notions.

>Going by the facts and reception of every facet of gen 2 is what I'm doing.
>There's also a degree of ignorance on your end seeing as you think it's an opinion that the anime floated the series in the west.
I'm talking about that the only reason you're assuming that Gen 2 was so bad it killed Pokemania is based on the fact that you think it's shit. Like I said, it has nothing to do with what anyone else thought, as the fad dying is not necessarily correlated to that. And I never said anything about the anime.
>>
>>31188747
I don't remember it being hated. I just remember Pokemon not being as popular as it was.

They're the best games alongside gen 2 games though. :^)
>>
>>31197375
so fucking COMFY

when are they going to put this stuff on the virtual console?
>>
>>31196455
For real? That's a lot longer than I thought.
>>
Pokemon Crystal Sales - 6.39M
Johto Anime was stuck in filler hell for a year

No one in their right mind would blame Johto for "the death of Pokemon", although the signs of slowing down were already there. The Celebi and the Lati Movie didn't do well at all compared to the first three.

RS themselves only compound to the problem, despite being solid main game entries outright; if unfortunately being a "step down" from GS.

Gen 3 gets the blame for it all though since it's not the Pokemon people grew up with though.
Thread posts: 150
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.