[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In general, do you like Pokemon with very ambiguous inspiration,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 6

File: file.png (232KB, 817x355px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
232KB, 817x355px
In general, do you like Pokemon with very ambiguous inspiration, or do you prefer Pokemon that have one dominant inspiration?

Good example of an ambiguous design is Slowbro. I find it hard to find what it could be inspired from. A hippo would be the only thing that comes close, and it's a stretch. It has the snail-like thing going on but anyone with eyes could see it's not a snail. I love this Pokemon a lot.

Then you have a Pokemon like, say, Shuckle. It's based off quite a few things - bacteria, mold, scale insects - but it has a clear dominant basis in turtles/tortoises. It's not literally my mom's tortoise and it has many different inspirations, so I wouldn't put it on the other end of this spectrum. Somewhere in the middle. I'd say most Pokemon fall into this - one clear inspiration, but elements of multiple other inspirations.

On the extreme could be a Pokemon like Ducklett, which really only has one thing it's based off of no matter how you look at it. It's the story of the ugly duckling, even though it's hella cute.

I consider none of those bad designs, but they're all very different. I find myself preferring ambiguous designs most of the time.

There's good and bad designs in all of these categories anyway.
>>
>>31186202
Hermit crab and not snail would have been the better choice of words, oops.
>>
slowpoke is a sloth mixed with an otter you dumb fuck. its evolutions are just unique twists on that base design
>>
I like a good mix of both
>>
File: image.jpg (91KB, 570x587px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91KB, 570x587px
>>31186271

so slowbro is a sloth/otter mix with a twist? are you fucking retarded? do you read the shit you type before you click post?
>>
>>31186202
Depends, though I do tend to like pokemon with more obscure or interesting designs or inspirations. Shuckle is my favorite pokemon actually and I love how even now it's debated just what the fuck it is exactly. As a kid I loved as it appeared to be a turtle but there's been so much discussion that even I'm not sure. I think its appearance is still clearly a turtle but with the behavior of mold. I think as a design and concept it's brilliant and reflects the "monster" in poke"mon". Monsters doesn't mean some huge, vicious beast, just creatures we are trying to understand. Shuckle works great since it can be displayed as goofy, cute, and strange.
>>
File: 1464530589970.png (25KB, 524x532px) Image search: [Google]
1464530589970.png
25KB, 524x532px
>>31186389
shuckle is my favorite pokemon too
>>
>>31186202
Pokemon of ambiguous origin and a clear unifying element tend to have the best designs.
They allow the design team to actually be creative, for better or worse, and have a central element to reign in the design from being too busy, straying too far from it's inspiration, etc...
That said, the mix of ambiguity and clear inspiration isn't really necessary for a solid design, as you said.
I just feel that a mixture of both types of design theories tends to yield the best results.
>>
>>31186412
Friend.

Actually both poliwhirl AND shuckle tie as my favorite since I'm so indecisive but still.
>>
File: yuki-jyorou.png (66KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
yuki-jyorou.png
66KB, 210x240px
>>31186202
I tend to prefer pokemon that are either based off of some sort of real world mythology or are in some shape or form manmade
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.