[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I've been wondering; what makes a Pokemon a fairy type?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: 1471578527141.png (108KB, 327x252px) Image search: [Google]
1471578527141.png
108KB, 327x252px
So I've been wondering; what makes a Pokemon a fairy type?

I get that fire types are associated with fire and ground types are associated with the earth, but what makes a fairy? Being pink and cute?
>>
Cute, pink and mystical
>>
>>31160198
>Being pink and cute?

No, because most Fairy types aren't even pink.

It's a combination of things. Cute things, feminine things, and things with mystical powers.

Or mythical creatures that don't fit into Ghost or Dragon.
>>
>>31160207
>Mystical
This is where it doesn't make sense to me, though.

For instance, Alolan Ninetales is ice / fairy. It definitely fits the whole mystic theme. But I always figured that was psychic's job. Why isn't A-Ninetales ice / psychic instead?
>>
>>31160270
>It definitely fits the whole mystic theme. But I always figured that was psychic's job. Why isn't A-Ninetales ice / psychic instead?

Fairy is a better fit for a kitsune.

Psychic used to be the stand-in for any kind of mystical power. Had Fairy existed back then, Celebi, Jirachi, Cresselia, etc. would be Fairy instead of Psychic.
>>
>>31160270
Because of glittering snow dust stuff and its elegance.
>>
File: A Magical Pokemon.png (505KB, 500x650px) Image search: [Google]
A Magical Pokemon.png
505KB, 500x650px
being magical, anon
>>
>>31160270
Psychic pokemon usually have something to do with espers and the mind. I thought alolan ninetails was fairy since nine-tailed foxes are creatures in japanese mythology, but then again why isn't the original ninetails fire/fairy?
>>
>>31160198
I think fairy is meant to represent something that is 'mystical' and 'innocent' / 'pure'. That's why it is able to fight off the evil dark types and the violent dragon and fighting types.
>>
>>31160198
Only fags like faerie type
>>
>>31160383
The fairy type moves imply the innocence angle is wrong. They seem to be a mix of the modern take on fae and classical fae (ie mystical assholes)
>>
>>31160383

Fighting-type Pokemon aren't exactly "violent", most of them are noble warriors.

You can chalk it up to the same reason they're weak to Psychic; the Fighter class in RPGs usually has a weakness against magic.
>>
File: sylveon nurse clean.png (503KB, 1260x910px) Image search: [Google]
sylveon nurse clean.png
503KB, 1260x910px
>>31160256
> most fairies aren't pink

Yeah, most are actually white or pink unless they are legendaries/mythics.
Yellow seems to be the next most common color.

Fairies seem to tend towards lighter colors in general.

> Pink as a primary color:

035 Clefairy - pink
036 Clefable - pink
039 Jigglypuff - pink
040 Wigglytuff - pink
122 Mr. Mime - pink/red
173 Cleffa - pink
174 Igglybuff - pink/white
209 Snubbull* - pink
210 Granbull* - pink
439 Mime Jr. - pink/blue
531 Mega Audino -pink/white
671 Florges - Green/pink
682 Spritzee - pink
683 Aromatisse - pink
684 Swirlix - pink
685 Slurpuff - pink
700 Sylveon - pink
730 Primarina - blue/pink
755 Morelull - pink/white
756 Shiinotic - pink

> White as a primary color
669 Flabébé - white
670 Floette - white
176 Togetic - white
468 Togekiss -white
Ninetales (Alola Form) - white/blue
183 Marill - blue/white
184 Azumarill - blue/white
280 Ralts - green/white
281 Kirlia - green/white
282 Gardevoir - green/white
Mega Gardevoir - green/white
334 Mega Altaria -blue/white
547 Whimsicott - green/white

> other colors (not legends)
175 Togepi* - Yellow
764 Comfey - green/orange
298 Azurill - blue
303 Mawile - grey/yellow
Mega Mawile -grey
546 Cottonee - green
702 Dedenne - yellow
703 Carbink - grey
707 Klefki -silver
742 Cutiefly - yellow
743 Ribombee - yellow
778 Mimikyu - yellow

> Other colors (legends/Mythics)
716 Xerneas - blue
719 Diancie -pink/brown
Mega Diancie - pink
785 Tapu Koko - yellow/black
787 Tapu Bulu - green
788 Tapu Fini - blue
801 Magearna - silver
786 Tapu Lele - pink
>>
>>31160347
> Why ninetales isn't fairy

Nine-taled foxes have a huge history in folklore. They are most commonly identified with fire as they are often messengers of harvest gods and affiliated with sunlight because of it. At night they conjure mystic fire to light their way. Sometimes these fires are supposedly the fox's spirit in a ball form.

I think the Alola ninetales is more a reference to the docile and fragile foxwife: a kitsune that decides to marry a human. These gentle beings use magic to help their new spouse. One trespass against their taboos can make them flee or even die, however! Fox husbands also happen but foxwives are most common (Ninetales/vulpix in both types is mostly female).
>>
>>31160449
>>31160469
Yeah I think you guys are right on second thought.

Looking around at various wikis and websites most seem to assume that Fairy is meant to represent the magical (such as here: http://pokemon.wikia.com/wiki/Fairy_type).
>>
>>31160198
You know what muthafucka dats a good ass question muthafucka why am i talking like this
>>
>>31160198
I think of it in comparison to dragon typing.
dragon typing is a primordial aggressive force force of nature, and so fairy would be a trickster or protective force in nature.

Jesus, read a book. Use your imagination. Do you even know what "fairies" have represented in mythology?

No, wait. I blame Gamefreak. They keep their design process opaque, and don't use it as an opportunity to help the fans learn about the influences that go into making these Pokemon. It really stunts the audience.

>Solgaleo's alchemy references are completely lost on the Pokemon fanbase
>>
>>31160899
I think it would be really cool to see an insider view on the process of designing a Pokemon.
>>
>>31160270
Better question: Why isn't A-Ninetales just an Ice type?
>>
>>31160982
Because it's a Game freak remembers the shittiest weather exists episode
>>
Why didn't the Chikorita line gain fairy type?

Why didn't they just retcon Celebi and Jirachi?
>>
>>31160982
The dex entries imply that A-Ninetails has magical qualities.
It's fairy.
Also, the nature of evolving from Fire to Ice would also imply that there is something magical about Ninetales anyway.

The real question is why isn't Kanto Ninetails a Fire/Fairy, when it's based on a Japanese trickster entity.
>>
>>31161106
Celebi and Jirachi are supposed to be 'cosmic', and that's currently included under the Psychic typing.

Jirachi could be Psychic/Fair though.
>>
>>31160270
Fairy = magic
Psychic = mysticism
>>
>>31160899
Epic black surprise text bro xD
>>
>>31160336
clearly a terrible curse
>>
Jirachi should be a fairy desu
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.