[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So apparently nips are saying how the Japanese script for Sun/Moon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 3

So apparently nips are saying how the Japanese script for Sun/Moon reads like it was literally translated from English.
Anyone playing in JP know what they're talking about?
>>
I'd be interested to know what this means as well.
>>
>>31128215
I play the Korean version and honestly I can say I felt the same thing. If you know the languages it is easy to back translate from Japanese to Korean and vice versa since the languages have cognates, but I will assume it may have been due to some of the Anglo words that were transcribed into their respective languages that kind of made the game felt that way. Because I am actually familiar with English as well I cannot think of an instance at the moment where it did seem like it was back translated from English, but I have a general idea why it feels like that.
>>
>>31128456
Okay the last part sounds weird but what I meant was it is hard for me to think of individual instances of such, but in general the story lines had that feel.
>>
No-one else knows anything about this?
>>
>>31126414
Good. Let them know our suffering for once.
>>
>>31128537
Like an American who just happens to know japanese wrote the story?
>>
Pokemon has always had overly simple diction though, almost to the point of it being uncanny.

I honestly felt that Sun/Moon was a poor translation from Japanese to English more than a few times. So maybe GameFreak just shit the bed this time.
>>
I say good. English speakers always get the short end of the stick when it comes to Japanese translations.
>>
>>31131408
a tripfag's opinion is worth less than dog shit
>>
>>31126414
No wonder the story is so shitty. James Turner probably wrote it after he designed Crabominable.
>>
File: image.png (566KB, 800x1280px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
566KB, 800x1280px
>>31131498
Nice
>>
>>31131408
dude why are you still in /vp/ just go away
>>
>>31131652
To ralk about Pokemon. Why haven't you killed yourself, anon?
>>
>>31131408
**TWO GENDERS**
>>
>>31131707
Hi there!

etc. etc. etc.
>>
>>31131295
Kind of. I just felt the occasional Anglicised terms threw me off in many ways. I remember one of the trainer said I am a Pokemon Collector (Anglicised), which means collector (in Korean). Needless to say, the trainer class is also anglicised as Kuh-lek-tuh. The dialogues were not always so fluid as Korean ought to be, but honourifics and such that are usually in Korean is present. I imagine that stuff is omitted in English because you do not exactly have equivalents to that. But generally it does sound like an American-like dialogue.

Oh I just remembered. During the water trial, instead of Lana just saying a regular way of "Oh there might be a swimmer", she instead says "Oh that might be a swimming panty wearing young man" because swimming panty wearing young man is literally the name of the swimmer male class. There are some stupidities like that.
>>
I played the game in Spanish and it honestly felt natural with a lot of slang used in proper context.It was nice.
>>
>>31131408
>this nigga
you dont even get the issue right, how retarded can you be?
>>
The games are now made in English first because English-speaking countries are more important than the dwindling Japanese gamer market. That's there's stuff like First Impression making more sense than Head-on Collision.
>>
>>31132130
>That's
That's why*
>>
>>31132022
Spotted the obsessed weeaboo.
Konichiwa amirite?
>>
Can someone even confirm that's what they're talking about in OPs twitter screencap? Google/Bing translate isn't a great tool for translating Japanes.
>>
>>31126414
Welcome to a dye house.
>>
Well in previous Pokemon games there would be a couple of Japanese pop culture references like when you interact with TVs in the game that are hard to localized in other languages.

However in Sun/Moon there is literally none of that stuff in the game. All there is on the TV is Malasada talk. So maybe the game is less "Japanese" than previous games.
>>
>>31132193
Please the explanation of Festival Plaza to me.
>>
>>31132212
Are you talking about the stand by me reference? That was in the Japanese version too, I assume there are more but that's the only one I can think of now.
>>
>>31133279
That was just as much of a reference to RBY as it was to Stand By Me at this point.
>>
japan should know the west is rhe main proitity for pokemon. they didnt even get pokemon go until 3 weeks after us. japan is only 30% of the sales for pokemon. why cater everything to them
>>
>>31132142
2 GENDERS
>>
>>31131408

Please shut the fuck up.
>>
>>31126414
Serves them right for almost killing Pokemon for Yocuck Watch.
>>
>>31131408
>English speakers always get the short end of the stick
atleast you get translations
>>
>>31131408
gender gender
>>
>>31131408
Alomomola when i was a kid
>>
>>31131408
Never expected a queer faggot to be nationalist.
>>
>>31126414
Demand is higher in the west so they pander us more from now on.
Same shit happened with dragonball we got the games earlier then the japanese which was a first. Its called business.
>>
>>31135399
nah pokemon is still strong in japan unlike dragonball.
But I did realise that they are focusing a bit more on the west lately maybe because of GO success?
>>
>>31126414
Wasn't the Pokémon Generations anime also released in English first, then took ages to be dubbed into Japanese?
It seems weird though, even though the Western market is much bigger than Japan, Pokémon is still disproportionately popular in Japan.
>>
>>31131887
nut there IS ONLY TWO GENDERS, UNLESS YOU ARE A FUCKING FREAK.
>>
>>31135399
THIS
>>31135419
Yes the episodes came out first in eu/us areas.
>>
>>31135419
The thing with Generations is that it had the opposite situation being discussed it. It was released English first, but it was pretty clear the script had been written in Japanese first due to the usual anime-isms it had even in english. The "thanks for the food" or whatever translation they use where "itaidakimasu" would be in Japanese. Things like that.

So far, no one's been able to point to something specific about the Japanese script of SM looking like a translation from an English one, other than a korean anon saying there's a certain feeling about it due to some anglo words.
>>
>>31135407
Go's success + Japan's obsession with Yokai Watch (which saw only a mild success in the west).
>>
>>31126414
English market is a lot bigger. Not many Japanese kids around these days.
>>
File: 1480539538305.png (84KB, 425x431px) Image search: [Google]
1480539538305.png
84KB, 425x431px
> The game setting is a pokemon version of Hawaii
> A U.S. state
> Lots of "english" isms are used

GOSH I WONDER WHY

We were in France two gens ago and they were dropping Frenchisms all over the place then.
>>
>>31135728
>two gens ago
>>
>>31135728

No, it's got nothing to do with US culture, it's more to do with awkward sentence structures that seem like translation was too direct and/or literal.
>>
>>31135757
people want to forget gen 6 that bad anon
>>
>>31135757
correction!
1 gen ago!
that's even less time!
also,
>>31135775
shitty scripts happen guy.
>>
>>31126414

That's funny, because the English script sounds like it was literally translated from Japanese.

It's chock full of completely retarded anime fan translation phrasings.

"Its help didn't arrive!" <- What the fuck kind of wording is this? Just one example.

I guess the script is just plain shit in every language.
>>
>>31133279
>>31133360

You mean the FFXV reference?
>>
>>31135782
but his post meant he forgot 5
>>
Someone at TvTropes decided to play the Japanese version of the game and gave some early thoughts about the script. They commented that while the dialogue isn't necessarily any different from some earlier games they played, they did find the dialogue dry and basic now that they have read more Japanese stuff. The game definitely doesn't have a Hawaiian feel to it, though they can't say how they would have pulled it off.
>>
That's ironic since the English script reads like a literally translated fan-sub from Japanese.
>>
>>31135900
>>31135971
So it's just a rushed/bad translation and writing
Nothing to see here, move on
>>
>>31135427
A GAME FREAK
>>
>>31135447
>The "thanks for the food" or whatever translation they use where "itaidakimasu" would be in Japanese.

Does English really have no saying for when you start eating? Here in Germany we say "Guten Appetit!", which means "have a good appetite/taste". Other European languages have equivalent sayings.
>>
>>31131966
Repped for being korean.

Fuck japs
>>
>>31136172
The closest I can think of is "rub-a-dub-dub thanks for the grub".
>>
do not reply to tripfags. do not encourage tripfags.

fucking idiots.
>>
>>31136214
Stfu ananymoose leejun fag
>>
>>31135376
You know that the US isn't the only country in the world that speaks english, right?
>>
>>31136172
English has a variety of ways to say "thanks for the meal," both before and after. However, there is no standard, uniform tradition. Nothing like the actual meaning of Itaidakimasu beyond its literal translation. The japanese word is just the standard way of beginning a mean. The US, at least, has nothing that universal. That's the problem. It's like honorifics. There's things that get the literal meaning across, but they're kind of awkward and its immediately recognizable as a translation thing.

The closest thing I can actually think of is saying grace, which is both longer, not universal, and tends to be used in media to more broadly imply something about the people doing it. Itaidakimasu is just what the Japanese do, there's no real special meaning when it shows up in media. The whole "I'm home" thing too, though that's less awkward in English. People do say that, but again the meanings are not quite synced up.
>>
>>31136172
the two most common "before you eat" phrases in American English are "Dig in", as in "Dig in (to the food)", typically said as an imperative by the person serving the food directed at the person, though you can say "I'm about to dig in (to this)" and people will understand what you're saying. British/UK English turns this into "tuck in" with the exact same usage.

Another common English pre-food saying (in America anyway) is just "Bon appetit" which is straight-up French. Again usually as an imperative that you say to people you're about to eat with or to people you've just served food to. There isn't really a phrase you say connoting that you, personally, are about to eat.
>>
>>31135757
ONLY
TWO
GENS
>>
>>31131966
>Swimmimg Panty would like to battle!

I died, holy shit
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.