[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Honestly, even if you like current Pokemon games, which even

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 13

File: ss-007.jpg (360KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ss-007.jpg
360KB, 1280x720px
Honestly, even if you like current Pokemon games, which even I do, do you really think GameFreak is a good studio?
You look around at other JRPGs in terms of visuals, mechanical depth, music, story, designs, and just general direction, and Pokémon can't even begin to stack up.
I really wish Nintendo would buy out the rest of the Pokemon Company so that GameFreak didn't have a monopoly on the franchise anymore.
>>
Pulseman was awesome
>>
>>31111625
>Honestly, even if you like current Pokemon games, which even I do, do you really think GameFreak is a good studio?
For what they are making, yes. They could sure as hell be doing alot better with it though.
>>
They don't really have a reason to push things to the limit. Even a moderate success like Yokai Watch will only be a flash in the pan, not genuine competition for an audience. Pokemon is granted guaranteed success, which really promotes lazy behavior from the developers.
>>
Game freak doesn't have a sense of direction with Pokemon. I don't think Nintendo will have one either, but I'm sure the quality of would be better.
>>
It's always been a deep fantasy of mine to see a Pokemon game created by valve and written by Mark Laidlaw.
>>
>>31111737
shame valve doesn't make games anymore
>>
>>31111715
I wish they were more experimental, the last new spin off they released was Pokken, and that has been out now for like 3 years
>>
>>31111754
they're too busy trying to make VR relevant.
>>
I unironically want one with realistic graphics.
>But they'd look like childhood ruined Rick and Morty monsters!
Go back to 9Gag, there isn't a Pokemon that can't be executed well in a realistic way.
>>
>>31111765
And that wasn't GameFreak. Hell, do they ever do the spinoffs?
>>
>>31111784
maybe not porygon
>>
File: rKTre5x.jpg (66KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
rKTre5x.jpg
66KB, 960x960px
>>31111801
I'm between hologram and 3D printing.
>>
>>31111822
wow can this be bought on shapeways or some shit? I love it.
>>
>>31111784
Well look at Pokken tournament, I wouldn't mind having Pokemon looking like that.
>>
It can't be denied that Game Freak have become lazier and less competent over the years.
>>
>>31111872
Eh, they just look like the normal Pokémon models but retexrured. I'd want them to do something faithful but grounded.
>>
>>31111897
>over the years.
I dunno. I think they always sort of stayed the same. Only growing when they absolutely have to. They haven't really gotten worse... they just could have gotten a lot better by now if they really tried.
>>
>>31111935
The Saudi Arabia of game developers
>>
>>31111625
>do you really think GameFreak is a good studio?
Nobody here thinks that. If anything, people wish they were more competent.
>>
Uh no fuck nintendo, the onky thing they would do is ruin pokemon
>>
>>31112023
Right now Pokémon is a steady stream of 6/10s. With Nintendo you either get 4s or 9s, no in between. I prefer that to another decade of stagnation.
>>
>>31111784
>>31111872
>>31111909
I think that's the best aproach to some realistic pokemon without making them look awful, just make their texture more detailed.

>I'd want them to do something faithful but grounded.
Such as?
>>
>>31111625
We all know this.

Nintendo is known for having golden franchises and golden ideas, but execution is only "good" or "okay." Nintendo has the potential to be making the best games, but instead they just make good games.

Here is just a short list of things nintendo needs to improve across all games, because nearly all games they release have glaring problems in these areas:

-UI
-online play
-friend code system
-graphics
-system capability
-frame rates
-user customization
-releasing patch notes
-game balance and continued support
-appealing to the male 13-28 demographic
-optional challenge/complexity in first-party games
-retain old mechanics that worked in past games instead of scrapping them
-listen to fanbase and respond to what they want, instead of completely ignoring them
>>
>>31112071
Shit like this. Still keeping what the designer had in mind, just changing the style. It's the same way they make a lot of superhero costumes. Characters like Deadpool would look out of place in live action, but when they're adapted faithfully the visual transition is completely seamless.
>>
>>31111625
I think gamefreak is a good studio. They are were jsut limited by the weak 3ds(its still the best console this gen in my opinion) and hopefully the the next agme is on the switch
>>
>>31112129
That looks absolutely terrible and ruins everything about pokemon. Total fucking garbage.

If you want "pokemon with good graphics" then watch a post-processed Shofu video to get an idea. The game could look like that, but even sharper and with higher resolution. That's the real way to bring pokemon into an era of improved graphics.

Your image is total crap and would turn me off completely from pokemon forever, and I'm sure many fans agree. Pokemon isn't supposed to be SICKDARK EDGY REALISM it's a fuckin cartoon game for kids.
>>
File: c4VyrCA.png (419KB, 527x658px) Image search: [Google]
c4VyrCA.png
419KB, 527x658px
>>31112184
Didn't realize Neil Blomkamp style was sickdark edgy realism but okay.
How about something a little more calm?
>>
File: 1476181596786.jpg (108KB, 405x535px) Image search: [Google]
1476181596786.jpg
108KB, 405x535px
>>31112129
>>
>>31112268
Oh wow, it's a regular owl.

You are now realizing that half the charm and magic of the game is due to the fact that it is NOT realism. Half the pokemon when depicted in a real way would be "regular bug," and "regular deer," and "regular rhino," and "brown horse." Do you realize how fucking stupid and boring that would be?

Your idea is fucking shit, kid. Get over it. Not to mention the massive amount of time and money it would take to make a game like that.
>>
>>31112268
Let me get this straight: you think that because deadpool can become a live action movie ,pokemon can too? You do realize that deadpool was drawn, adn always has been drawn, with realistic proportions upon a realistic background, right? Are you really this fucking dumb?

How are you going to make caricatures like jigglypuff into a realistic style without making it look retarded? A solid majority of all pokemon also include bubble-gum-cartoon-neon colors, which would harshly clash with a realistic style. Deadpool was never drawn with bright colors in such a fashion. The two things are not even close to equivalent. It is very easy to look at a page of a deadpool comic and imagine what deadpool would look like in real life (uhhh, how about "exactly the same?") It's much harder to look at a random pokemon sprite and think about how it would look in a realistic style. You would have to de-saturate the color, change almost all of the proportions, and re-draw some important features. It's just a really fucking dumb idea. I don't know why you are fixated on it.
>>
File: 210Granbull.png (390KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
210Granbull.png
390KB, 1080x1080px
>>31111784
>there isn't a Pokemon that can't be executed well in a realistic way.

Granbull already looks like an eldritch monstrosity in the regular graphics, I can't even imagine what it would look like realistically.
>>
File: IMG_8832.png (170KB, 600x339px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8832.png
170KB, 600x339px
>>31112268
>A Hoothoot that doesn't creep the shit out of me
>>
File: pulseman.jpg (453KB, 689x671px) Image search: [Google]
pulseman.jpg
453KB, 689x671px
>>31111671
>knowing what pulsman is
My nigga
>>
Nintendo is always garbage, at least Gamefreak has brilliant moments in between all their stupidity.

I'm also skeptical any company could do better, considering there is no other monster catching game that's ever come to par in all fronts.
>>
>>31111625
No. Gamefreak is a really fucking lazy studio, shit at programming and optimization, and cannot tell a story to save their life. Making only one game for the last 20 years (I know they made one other thing. Woo.) isn't an excuse.
Whoever the fuck it was that made Colosseum made a more immersive and impressive universe in the first ten minutes of that game than GF had done up to that point.

>>31111935
Pokemon started as some literally whos in their garage. They got better with gen 2, then have coasted from that day onward.
>>
>>31112107
>frame rates
Fuck off. Aside from Pokémon, Nintendo's games all have solid frame rates
>friend code system
Wii U doesn't have it and they can't retroactively remove it
>appealing to the male 13-28 demographic
That has no bearing on if a game is good or not
>optional challenge/complexity in first-party games
They do
>releasing patch notes
They do
>user customization
They do
>listen to fanbase and respond to what they want, instead of completely ignoring them
They do. Just because they don't listen to you doesn't mean they don't listen to the fanbase
>game balance and continued support
Yeah, all that continued support for Smash, Mario Kart, Splatoon etc. shows they clearly don't do this. OH HANG ON

Stop conflating your issues with Pokémon with Nintendo in general.
>>
>>31112747
Pulseman isn't really that obscure, you know.
>>
>>31112129
That deoxys looks like shit, but they actually decided to have him morph his tentacles into hands in not base form, so I'll give them points for that.
>>
>>31112804
>They got better with gen 2, then have coasted from that day onward.

Every time someone says Pokemon peaked at Gen 2 I laugh.

Like, sure, if you wanna say the series got bad, then fine, but at least get a better point at when it got good first.
>>
>>31113330
Allow me to clarify. Gen 2 was not the peak. The transition from gen 1 to gen 2 was the single largest increase in overall game quality between games, largely because they got actual professionals to help out. Pokemon has generally improved from that time, whatever personal nitpicks you may have about one gen or another aside, but it has just never done so at the same pace as that initial step up.
Hopefully this makes more sense.
>>
Square Enix are even bigger hacks than Gamefreak
>>
>>31113430
This is true. They accidentally made "The Best Game of All Time"(TM) with FF7, and have been hurling bologna at the wall trying to replicate it for the past decade.
>>
File: 1479782757631.png (336KB, 514x655px) Image search: [Google]
1479782757631.png
336KB, 514x655px
>>31111784
Pokken did it the best, if you try to really make a "realistic" design even while trying to keep faithful to the original it's still going to lose a lot of the charm like the deoxys you posted in >>31112129 that, while badass, really misses the point of what makes the series so enjoyable in the first place. A lot of us like the very carefree and overall uplifting atmosphere of the series, and flipping it on its head aesthetically like that would really kill it in that respect.

Besides, the existing animated style isn't really limiting at all from a graphical standpoint, even the existing models don't look bad at all with some tweaks and better textures.

Hell, I'd be very happy with a game that just has GO-tier graphics but a much more detailed environment and a world that feels actually alive. Gameplay and worldbuilding is the direction the series should be venturing now, not just graphically.
>>
>>31111671
So was gen 1 go figure
>>
>>31112804
>Whoever the fuck it was that made Colosseum made a more immersive and impressive universe in the first ten minutes of that game than GF had done up to that point.
The same fuck being slowly corrupted by Shuffle
>>
Gamefreak would be much better if it weren't for them two steps back with every step forward. There are several things in the last two gens that just scream incompetence.
>>
>>31112804
>eally fucking lazy studio, shit at programming and optimization, and cannot tell a story to save their life

sounds exactly like Square Enix
>>
I'm not going to say GF is beyond criticism, but a lot of the shit /vp/ complains about are actually done for good reason. Each iteration feels 'samey', like they're not pushing the games, for two reasons: you're getting older and more familiar with the series but the target demographic isn't. Every game has to be some kid's first game. And second, it's a longevity issue. They're playing the long game for better or worse and it's not necessarily because they're trying Jew everyone out. They don't want to burn the series out. If they had poor foresight like you people we would habe have mega evolutions and z moves in gen 3 and by now the escalation would have made the games absurd.

They're being conservative, not stupid. Conservative is disagreeable but subjective.
>>
>>31111625
I'd still consider GF an okay studio at least. Yeah they play it way too fucking safe and it's been basically the same game for 20 years, but at least it's been consistently fun. Many studios can't even manage that.

It does blow my mind that they're perpetually about a decade behind in terms of standard features in the rest of gaming though. Customizable character in an RPG was one. Still waiting on things like a difficulty slider and skippable cutscenes. I don't get why people are so apologetic of these things being missing when they're in practically every game released now.
>>
>>31113721
>They're playing the long game for better or worse and it's not necessarily because they're trying Jew everyone out.
I will say that this applies to Nintendo as a whole. Nintindo is playing a much, MUCH longer game than Sony or Microsoft. Nintendo is actually old as fuck, it didn't make vidyas for most of it, but it has age and experience. It is crafty, cunning, and knows how to survive.
>>
>>31113721
I get a lot of what you're saying, but does that really mean it has to stay as same-y as it is?

I think the 3D transition really highlighted how dead and lifeless Pokemon worlds really are, that worked just fine in the 2D era, but now I think they really should start adding some more depth to new regions.

I don't really feel that would impact gameplay or the "conservative" pace that much either to make a world truly worth diving into, and I think GF is slowly starting to realize that, Alola was a great step forward just from removing the grid, I can't wait to see what future games bring.
>>
>>31113820
The grid did nothing wrong.
>>
>>31112804
>Whoever the fuck it was that made Colosseum made a more immersive and impressive universe in the first ten minutes of that game than GF had done up to that point.

I've always laughed at people calling SM oh so innovative and fresh, as if XD and Colosseum didn't exist.
>>
>>31112107
>friend code system

that's been gone for years idiot
>>
>>31113830
The grid was nice in some ways but in others it really looked terrible, that kind of design just isn't suited for a 3D environment, especially a roleplaying game where suspension of disbelief and self-insertion is usually a pretty big deal.

I had no love for the blocky monotony of Kalos and 3D Hoenn, it didn't feel like a world, it felt like an obstacle I couldn't wait to escape as I advanced the story bit by bit.

Alola maybe wasn't much better in this way, but the removal of the grid did not play a part in that.
>>
>>31113721
>they make their current games shittier on purpose so their future games look better by comparison
I'm not so sure I believe this is what they do, but if it is, why would anyone consider that a good thing? That just makes them hacks.
>>
>>31113524
But that's not FF9
>>
>>31114081
All I know is monkey-boy didn't get into smash
>>
>>31114089
Because FF7 fans are worst than genwunners
>>
>>31111625
Game Freak are shit programmers, sure the games are good and I do enjoy them for what they are, but you can't deny that they would never had seen the light of day if Pokemon wasn't successful.

And how they always go 1-2 steps forwards they ALWAYS go at least 1 step backwards EACH DAMN generation or more steps. Taking away neat features that should continue to be in the following games like Pokemon following you, toggle the run button, move tutors etc.

Their concept is great, but executed poorly at times, I don't even think they try to balance their games at all, they just push out more cheese into the games.

Game Freak creates great lore and then just drops the ball the next second with a totally new generation instead, look at Zygarde just a petty side quest in SM and nothing is unlocked except for power construct when the reward should be the Complete form itself and not the ability that hides the comp form in it. Progression in SM feels weird and is just weird with Zygarde, you get the 10% form early, 50% pretty late and power construct during post-game and by then you the player pretty much is the most power trainer in in-game. Small things like that are annoying and they will likely never do anything about this in future games.

One thing I think Game Freak does well is to not do DLC, though DLC got its benefits, it is better to deliver a finished game rather than pouring in with DLC after the release. Although ORAS left somethings to be desired *cough* battle frontier *cough*
>>
>>31114218
>50% pretty late
I only backtracked for cells on Melemele once and had 50% for Aether Paradice. Shit was cash.
>>
>>31114251
>Backtracked
Gameplay and game experience varies, some might not even have collected 10 cells and only gotten them by the time they are heading towards Aether Paradise etc
>>
>>31111625
Perfectly honest, yes. I would not have any other studio working on Pokemon.
While they are a bit lacking, they know exactly what makes Pokemon work. They strayed from the path a bit during Gen VI, but got right back on track. If it was any other studio, I 100% sure they'd go overboard with pointless features and things I just couldn't care less for. I'd rather have a lazy studio over an overactive one. GF focuses only on the things that make Pokemon fun. I love that.
>>
File: 3D Leaf.gif (1015KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
3D Leaf.gif
1015KB, 256x256px
>>31111784
Realism is shit for a game like Pokémon
Just give put it on an acceptably powerful platform that can output in HD and run a good looking cel shading engine.
>>
>>31111625
but do those other JRPGs have loli waifus?
>>
>>31111625
That's why I don't like dragon quest, is unappealing to Me
>>
>>31111625
>Honestly, even if you like current Pokemon games, which even I do, do you really think GameFreak is a good studio?
no
>>
>>31114336
No and thank God they don't, you disgusting pedo faggot.
>>
File: 1358465941636.jpg (96KB, 944x712px) Image search: [Google]
1358465941636.jpg
96KB, 944x712px
>>31114446
>>
>>31114333
Where the hell are those animations even from? Pokken? They look pretty cash.
>>
>>31114484
That's Leafeon's actual in-game model not on a 140px screen with shitty filters.
Every Pokémon actually has highly detailed models which is why the games run like ass when the 3DS tries to handle animating more than two of them.
>>
>>31114308
Lets get crazy for a second.
>Pokemon staff stays on for design of characters and mon's, maybe with the odd exception here and there. Also works consultation with the story staff and postgame staff for worldbuilding and lore consistencies
>Bring in Atlus for a mechanics overhaul. The fundamental principles do not change, Pokemon is still a mon RPG in which teams of six Pokemon with four moves each battle eachother in primarily 1v1 and 2v2 formats. Most of the basic stat interactions ect remain the same.
>The main pokemon staff oversees the story production to keep the story "pokemon". I'll be honest, I don't know off-hand who does a good, lighthearted story, but Imagine I said the one you think of.
>Call in NIS to design the postgame. Include a selection in the options menu that switches all of the flavor text for moves and items to something they have written.

We get a still very pokemon game, with harder, more intensive gameplay, a presumebly more complex, without being overly dramatic story, and a postgame just as good, if not better than the main game that will probably feature more characters from past games than you can remember. And, if you want, a giggle every time you inspect a Pokemon or open your bag.
>>
>>31114500
I know it's the game model, I don't remember ever seeing an animation like that in the games though.

It is pretty surprising how detailed they are when they're rendered on a good display though.
>>
>>31114516
>Letting NISA touch Pokémon
please god no
>>
>>31114500
This. Part of the problem with X&Y, and S&M is that these models were fucking future-proofed. The models are actually amazing, they crush the 3DS. They just tend to be poorly animated.
>>
>>31114530
Nah, localization through Nintendo, as usual. NISA touches nothing.
>>
File: 1482228377070.jpg (51KB, 940x420px) Image search: [Google]
1482228377070.jpg
51KB, 940x420px
>>31114418
I forgot pic related
>>
File: 2fd07f7993d4638112374f3164b6dca5.jpg (324KB, 1350x800px) Image search: [Google]
2fd07f7993d4638112374f3164b6dca5.jpg
324KB, 1350x800px
>>31114336
Yes, extremely cute lolis that call you daddy and love you more than anything. Not only that, she NEVER wastes your time with cutscenes. She only talks to you if you want her to.
>>
>>31114670
Is that self depreciation?
>>
>>31114670
>She only talks to you if you want her to.
What a shitty parent.
>>
>>31114891
To be fair, she didn't have any parents for all her life. She still grew to be the sweetest little loli.
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.