[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Instead of Smogon shitty and polemic tiers, was a total BST limit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

File: 1470004129101.png (87KB, 200x234px) Image search: [Google]
1470004129101.png
87KB, 200x234px
Instead of Smogon shitty and polemic tiers, was a total BST limit ever considered? For example let's say, the sum of BST of your 6 pokes can't exceed 2000. Of course the number would have to be discussed and it would change each meta
>>
>>31109397

No, because BST =/= how good a Pokemon is

Slaking and Regigias have BSTs of 670, but their abilities make them complete shit

Azumarill's BST is only 420, but Huge Power makes it a hgue threat
>>
This is an incredibly shit way to balance Pokemon when things like Mawile, Sableye, Slaking, and Aegislash exist.

BST is a terrible measure of how good a Pokemon is when movepool, typing, and abilities also come into play.
>>
I don't think that would work out that well.
>5 sunkern
>m-fug
I'd suggest a tier system where a pokemon can't be above a certain BST.
>>
OP that sounds like stupid bullshit.

/vp/ can't and will never into competitive
>>
>>31109425
In some cases, in others not. It would allow you to mix broken and shitty mons into an actual good team, without having to face a team of 4 tapus and 2 UBs as it happened to me recently
>>
There was another battle simulator called PokeBattle that had a points system where each Pokemon was assigned a number of points and you could only use a certain number of points for a team.

It failed miserably and fell into obscurity
>>
>>31109438
>whole team is weak to ice

nice try
>>
>>31109503
Based of BST? The whole advantage I see to this is that every mon would have a chance to be in a team. Well, at least those that are not absolute shit, but I'm pretty sure you would not see championships with every player using more or less the same team
>>
>>31109503
How did they give each species a value?
>>
>>31109503
It sounds like Smogon tiers but with numbers, thing is Smogon never tried a format actually mixing tiers I believe
>>
>>31109928
Main problem is that they assigned too low values for each species.
Also, certain species combinations should be taxed higher.
>>
>>31109501
That doesn't make for actual good teams, all it does it limit your options.
>>
>>31109397
So, Mega Fug is now on every team, except the rest of the team is now shitmons.
At least Shedinja gets sorta buffed by this.
>>
>>31110035
No, why would this ever happen? On the contrary, people would spend their available total BST on several not uber but yet good mons so that M-Fug and the shittymons quintet would not stand a chance.
>>
>>31109564
>M-rayquayquay
>weakness
:)
>>
>>31110183
>Mega Fug
>Healing Wish, Focus Sash Buneary
>Healing Wish, Focus Sash Ralts
>Defog Jockey
>Heal Bell/Aromatherapy Jocky
>Choice Scarf Imposter Ditto

You now have to fight Mega Fug three times, and Mega Fug has status recovery, the rest of the team has hazard control, and a bargain Ditto to eliminate something that sets up. I'm sure this could use some better Pokemon as well.
Are you saying a mixture of OU and UU mons (And that's being generous) could take Fug three times?
>>
>>31110183
You know than M-Fug was banned because he can solo team of 6 (six) cover legendaries level threats
>>
>>31110183
5 baton pass mons + fug
>>
So in the same vein as this, how about a system based on smogon´s tiers, where your team can only have a maximum of

>1 OU
>2 UU
>3 NU
> unlimited PU

ubers still has to be set aside tough.
>>
>>31110806

something like that sounds interesting
>>
A points-based system could work, in theory... it would just require that every mechanic that could possibly be on a team (be it move, ability, or item) have an intrinsic value easily and objectively comparable against things like a Pokémon's BST and defensive strength of its typing.

And sure, it sounds easy... but in practice, it's more effective to just instantly ban the box legends and then wait until the metagame stabilizes before you ban things that are proving too centralizing.
>>
>>31110806

i think the NU mons would be walls that arent much worse than OU walls but are just NU by usage. no way would you use any of the NU 'sweepers'
>>
>>31110806

Would still run into the same issue of every team having the weaker stuff do nothing but set things up for the top tier thing.
>>
>>31110945
A system like this was tried called PokeBattle where pokemon were given point values. It fell apart after everyone used "cheap" pokemon for utility and then a standard OU core (ex Sturdy Geodude for rocks).
>>
>>31109928
Mix tiers don't exist, your team is pretty much in the tier your highest tier mon is since Pokémon banned from a tier can't be used at all.

If your higher Pokémon is BL like staraptor in Gen6, your team is OU as a member can't exist in UU or below.

The idea of mixtiers when smogon is based around usage is beyond retarded since you can use lower tier Pokémon in high tiers, sub optimal or not doesn't matter, but you can't bring higher tier mons into a lower one.

It's nothing but extreme autism to call one team mixed tier if you are fighting in OU with shitmons, it's still an OU team even if you gimp yourself by not using Pokémon with niches.
>>
>>31109397
This would be interesting, but additional rules would need to factor in to be balanced. Closest to balanced would be separating NFE mons out from fully evolved pokemon, limiting, or outright banning some pokemon (600BST cap per mon, maybe?), and a rule that pokemon teams must include six party members. Then you let the meta shake itself out for a few months and adjust your rules as the meta evolves
>>
>>31111592
So basically ban even more Pokémon than smogon and becoming more restrictive on what people can and can't put in their teams?
>>
>>31110620
How do you plan on getting Buneary and Ralts in safely on something that's beaten Fug down enough to necessitate the heal?
Because it kinda seems like they would just get their sash busted on the switch and then die before they can get the HW off.
>>
>>31109397
look up pokebattle and cry
>>
>>31109397
beep beep here comes azumarill/skarmory/mantine/breloom/chansey/clefable
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.