[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that the dust has settled, how are Alolan formes? Good concept?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

File: gen 2 alola formes.png (37KB, 1027x115px) Image search: [Google]
gen 2 alola formes.png
37KB, 1027x115px
Now that the dust has settled, how are Alolan formes?

Good concept?
Bad concept?
Good concept but not enough Pokémon?
>>
>Good concept but not enough Pokémon?

This. And megas were an okay concept executed badly.
>>
>>31100565
>Good concept but not enough Pokémon
Sure they're probably just testing water, but does it have to be limited to just gen 1 Pokemon?
>>
I'd like to see more "region exclusive" mons in future games but not limited to 1st gen mon.
>>
>>31100612
Megas were a horrible concept from the very beginning and literally ruined gen VI.
>>
>>31100565
Alola forms were a good concept that came too late, and were not utilized well at all.

For some magical unexplained reason it took seven generations across seven regions to introduce region-exclusive forms, despite the fact that said regions were: urban; tropical; arctic; rural (and more), said alternate forms have only just magically appeared in Hawaii. It doesn't make sense for ONLY Hawaii to have those forms.

You know the worst form thing they did? That fucking stupid gender biodiversity shit. No one remembers, no one fucking cares about that dumb shit and all it ever did was make it so every Pokemon needs two sets of sprites for some reason. That was gen 4. That was when they should have bitten the bullet and said "Hey we're doing a region with a lot of polar ice and arctic conditions; let's make regional forms". But no, we got fucking Pikachu with a heart tail. Brilliant.
>>
>>31100565
Not enough pokemon and the fact that most of them were shit.
>>
>>31100787
>>31100811
>>31102129
>>31102144
these
bug/water flygon when
>>
>>31100565
Megas were way better. At least they didn't exclusively pander to only genwun.
>>
>>31100995
>Helping Beedrill is bad
>>
>>31102129
the only two gender differences I can remember are pikachu and hippowdon
everything else is completely pointless
>>
>>31100787
they aren't testing shit, we all know gamefreak doesn't do anything for more than one gen no matter how good or how awful the idea is
>>
>>31102234
I mean, I sorta thought it made sense with bird 'mons like Unfezant.
>>
>>31100565
Great concept, weird Pokémon choices.
Why we ended up getting He-Moles and Alola Akbar Golem but not Alolan Butterfree I will never know.
>>
File: w2njfl.png (95KB, 480x280px) Image search: [Google]
w2njfl.png
95KB, 480x280px
>>31102275
I just like to hope you know, no matter how slim of a chance it is.
>>
>>31100565

Great concept, hoping for more.

But the execution is so insanely hit-or-miss. Alolan Ninetales is absolutely gorgeous, Alolan Marowak is awesome in both concept and design. Alolan Raichu and Sandslash are cool too.

But then there's the ones that don't just look bad, it's like they went out of their way to make them look as fucking stupid as possible. Who, other than the most desperate contrarians, was seriously supposed to like Alolan Dugtrio? It is literally the same Pokemon but with stupid hair and a random Steel typing. Who was supposed to like fat Raticate? Who besides r/pokemon mememasters seriously likes Alolan Exeggutor? And then there's derpy fathead Persian, which is particularly bad for ruining smug bastard Meowth.

Really hoping for more regional forms, but keep the derpy shit to a minimum.
>>
>>31102674
It feels like they went "LOL random XD" with a lot of things. A lot of Alola forms are just out-there, ugly jokes that were made simply to become fandom memes.
>>
>>31102234
>>31102411
A lot of animals have relatively subtle differences between the sexes, so I appreciated their attempts in gen4.
I agree that regional forms should've happened way earlier in the series than it has, but sexual dimorphism wasn't some kind of waste.
>>
>>31100565
They may as well have just been new Pokémon
I think Gen 5 would have got a much better reception if you changed Trubbish to "Grimer-Unova", Swoobat to "Golbat-Unova", Excadrill to "Dugtrio-Unova" and Conkeldurr to "Machamp-Unova".
>>
>>31102674
I actaully liked A-Raticate and A-Exeggutor and disliked A-Ninetails(I think it has to do with changing a fire type to straight up ice that puts me off) and A-Sandslash(though I do like A-Sandshrew)
Though I'm not very picky and can usually find something I like about most 'mons.
>>
I don't get why people see them as "updating" or "fixing" old Pokemon. By being permanent forms, they are effectively brand new Pokemon just with similar stats and violating Species Clause. It's like saying Gigalith fixed Golem.

Conceptually, I first thought it was an awesome idea to introduce to the series on a worldbuilding level, but they butchered the way it works. According to Game Freak logic, 2 black parents will make a Japanese baby as long as the mother was impregnated in Tokyo. Should've just copied the way Shellos/Basculin/Pumpkaboo/Minior forms are treated.
>>
>>31100995
Megas didn't ruin gen 6, you've got to be blind to think that.
>>
Good concept but not enough pokemon, and only limiting it to only one generation of pokemon is just Game Freak shooting itself in the foot.
>>
>>31100565
Bad concept because acquiring them in other regions would be retarded

Some forms were done beautifully though

But we got some real awful ones

They're like the inverse of Mega's
>>
Imo, bad concept that wasn't needed and was an excuse for GF to not make completely new Pokemon again this generation.
>>
>>31100565
TbH I feel that any mon with an Alolan forme that changed its typing (e.g. Sandslash, Marowak) should've been its own mon instead of a forme
>>
>>31103388
No, not by themselves. They're more like the turd cherry on the top of the turd sundae that was gen 6.
>>
File: pelipper.jpg (81KB, 415x599px) Image search: [Google]
pelipper.jpg
81KB, 415x599px
Good idea, but could have been executed a lot better.

The most obvious problem is that they're Kanto-only, but another problem I have is that most of them have only mild type changes. I guess the counter-argument to that is "why don't they just make that into a new Pokemon" though.
>>
>>31103604
So...all of them?
>>
>>31100995
Gen VI ruined Gen VI. Lame villains, cookie-cutter story, started the trend of doing dexes with less than a 100 pokemon and then filling the rest with gen 1 pokemon, easy as fuck dificulty even when turning exp. share off, the list goes on. Megas are just the tip of the iceberg.
>>
>>31103654
No, just mons that had their typing fully rehauled, like how Sandslash became Ice/Steel from Ground
>>
>>31102206
I'll admit Mega Beedrill is how the concept should have been executed. Giving old shitmons a chance to be in the competitive arena is what it should have been.

Then, for some reason, Gamefreak decided to give megas to Pokemon that were already good like Salamence, Metagross, Scizor, Garchomp, and fucking Mewtwo. It's like they were just drawing Pokemon names out of a hat and making random evolutions.
>>
>>31103360
This, breeding Alolan forms is absolutely retarded

By the way
>Marowak can't evolve during the Day now
Why not just make normal Marowak available too?
>>
>>31100565
>good concept but not enough Pokemon
Also the fact that half of them are literally just recolors with slapped Dark-type on them
>>
>>31103689
Then just give them a 4th evolution? Wouldn't that be sweet? Don't make their stats so overwhelmingly OP, free up their item spot, and make them relevant to competitive again. Thats how this should have worked.

4th Evolution forms would have been a much easier, friendly change instead of "HOLD DA ITEM AND THEY GO BIG TEMPORARY BECAUSE REASONS"
>>
>>31103689
Or pulling the popular ones, including pseudos. It's like they lost sight of what Megas were supposed to bring.

Honestly though, I'd have said just fix BSTs, widen movepools, and give out more, viable abilities for older Pokemon. Not all of them are gonna shine in competitive, but if someone can find a way to creatively get one of them to work (IE, Pachirisu), then that to me is better than what it currently is.
>>
>>31103742
You're right but for some reason GF strictly sticks to their numbers that they all thought of in the first games.

>no more than 3 evolutions
>no more than 6 mons per team
>no more than 30 mons per box
etc.

It's like they are desperately breaking every rule but these for some reason.
>>
File: dglgtXB.png (541KB, 1187x1070px) Image search: [Google]
dglgtXB.png
541KB, 1187x1070px
>>31103742
I'll add that Megas for shitmons are harder to want to use over Megas for actually good competitive mons. I can understand wanting to use the strongest version of your bro as your Ace but the mechanic was just utterly fucked in the long run and just made things worse

Thanks Masuda
>>
Like everything Gamefreak does it is a good concept with a completely butchered execution.
>>
>>31103742
Nah, evolution lines shouldn't go past the traditional 3 stages. Some megas, like Houndoom or Manectric, look like they should be tertiary stage evolutions.
>>
>>31103827
I would hope that if they'd been actual evolutions, they would have looked better.
Mega Manetric is atrocious, and everyone and their mother has been wanting Houndoom to grow another pair of heads for an evo since second gen.
>>
>>31103827
Lol WHY. WHY is 3 the magic unchanging number of evolutions a pokemon can have? I remember how shocked I was when shit like Pichu and Iggilybuff became a reality. How "terrible" would it be for charizard to just have the option of using a firestone or a dusk stone to change to a 4th evolution? Tone down the stats a little, and you've got a viable mon without making the mechanics behind the entire game all fucky with this "mega evolution" bullshit concept.

>They let the genie out of the bottle with these shit mechanics on the 3ds and they better get fucking rid of it when pokemon moves to the switch. New timeline. Lets see it.
>>
Vulpix, Ninetales, Sandshrew, and Sandslash are the only ones that feel like they were designed as regional variants to begin with. The other fully evolved ones all feel like straight upgrades and could have easily been Megas or 3rd evos.
>>
>>31103890
Mega manetric is tragic. And houndoom was probably my favorite gen2 mon
>>
>>31103931
You must be high or in 3rd grade
>>
>>31103789
These kinds of posts make me glad GF is making these games and not the fans
>>
>>31103958
What would be so game ruining about a pokemon evolving 4 times? Fuck it, why stop there, why can't a bug type evolve 5 or 6 times? Just don't make 2-5 that much stronger and make 6 an actual fully evolved pokemon. Why not? What about the game would change aside from more variety and less retarded concepts like megas.
>>
>>31103939
>>31103890
Yeah, Manectric's mega is pretty bad, but I'm okay with Houndoom's personally. GF's excuse was that these Pokemon simply couldn't evolve any further AKA "we're too fucking lazy to put an actual effort into designing proper new Pokemon or evolutions now, so here, have a Mega or an Alolan form"
>>
>>31100565
Bingo. Not only did we exclusively get gen 1 pokemon we also got virtually nothing. And don't forget with mega evolutions we got ONE mega from gen 5 and 6 yet people still think gen 2 is the one getting shat on
>>
>>31103931
The only ones that feel like a scrapped mega design to me is Golem, and I'm fairly certain that's where it started as, with its prevos being created after the fact - which is why they have different colors, while A-Golem is regular Golem's colors with tacked-on stuff, facial hair, and random changes to its arms for no apparent reason.
>>
>>31103953
How am I wrong?

Alolan Exeggutor is Exeggutor but much bigger and with an extra head on its new tail
Alolan Marowak is a recolored Marowak plus ghostly flames
Alolan Muk is Muk with an oily rainbow palette and crystallized poison used for biting and scratching
Alolan Raticate is a fatter Raticate
Alolab Persian is Persian with a fat head
Alolan Raichu is Raichu with Psychic powers

Notice something? They're all the original PLUS something. Basic children franchise creature design theory tells you that's an upgrade, not a sidegrade.
>>
>>31103742
>>31103904
>>31104007
Have you considered that maybe having more stages of evolution would be overcomplicated?
>>
>>31104048
Yeah, but a mega for a fucking mythical is just plain stupid.
>>
>>31103953
>You must be high or in 3rd grade
"You must be high" is something a 3rd grader would say.
>>
>>31104133
Not to mention that would mean increasing E4 levels because by then, you should have a fully-evolved team.

>b-but stone evo--
GF likes to make that shit difficult to obtain.
>>
>>31104075
You'd be mostly correct but Ninetales and Sandslash aren't just type-swaps, they also have added Types (Fairy and Steel)

So yes all the Alolan forms are the origina/changed with added features to them. It's amazing balancing only Game Freak can come up with. The only exception is Dugtrio since it's a shittier version of its original incarnation and Excadrill
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.