[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When did this game stop being about creative team-building and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 12

File: 1482367049538.jpg (715KB, 1280x987px) Image search: [Google]
1482367049538.jpg
715KB, 1280x987px
When did this game stop being about creative team-building and finding ways to make 6 of your top bros shine in competitive contexts and become rife with contented, copy/paste shits whose single contribution to Pokemon Battling is debasing its very name, diluting it entirely of the creative, ingenuity, and strategy it once demanded?
>>
I genuinely don't understand what you just said.
>>
>>31086744
Play RU or something, Commie.
>>
He's saying that Pokemon is about YOU and YOUR pokemon. Not some hand holding bullshit with Lille and that worthless fucking cosmog
>>
>>31086775
I think OP's complaining about the smogon meta making people all have similar teams competitively instead of just using whatever looks cool.
>>
>>31086775
Which part don't you understand? I can explain that part in more elementary terms.

>>31086803
That's not a solution.
>>
>>31086744
Competitive has always literally always been this. There will always be better pokemon and maximized sets.
>>
File: hahahaha.png (61KB, 1889x673px) Image search: [Google]
hahahaha.png
61KB, 1889x673px
>>31086744
You're the guy that brought us this gem right?
>>
>>31086830
Okay I may have barely understood what OP said but he's clearly talking about competitive pokemon and not your hate boner for Sun and Moon's storyline.
>>
File: reigen 3.png (631KB, 1067x800px) Image search: [Google]
reigen 3.png
631KB, 1067x800px
OP, you have to understand that all competitive communities are like that, but Pokemon is actually the least so of all because there are different tiers to play in. Diversity grows greater the further down the tier list, so instead of sperging about how cancer OU is, play NU or PU. It's much more fun.
>>
File: 1478577130165.png (249KB, 688x741px) Image search: [Google]
1478577130165.png
249KB, 688x741px
OP you could've worded it better, but I agree. I hate seeing porygon, scizor and gengar in 90% of battles. people need to be more creative. I'm satisfied with losing a few more battles if I'm able to use the pokemon I like the most.
>>
>>31086898
Please read
>>31086897

NU is honestly a paradise.
>>
>>31086863
No it hasn't.

The existence of a "better" Pokemon and/or maximized sets is irrelevant. If a Pokemon is conventionally weak, invest thought in making it inconventionally viable.

>>31086863
I hope you don't presume to weaken my position with that screencap. As I said in that thread: Anything short of a direct refutation simply serves to affirm my position.

People of an open mind will read that post and see reason. They will be persuaded of my position.
>>
>>31086950
NU is not paradise. I admit teams are more diverse, but whereas in OU people are simply cautioned from using Pokemon from lower-tiers, you are explicitly prohibited from using Pokemon in higher-tiers in NU.
>>
>>31087000
Yes, that's how it stays diverse. By eliminating the power creep cancer in higher tiers, lower tiers prosper and have more diversity.
>>
>>31087000
so you want to use all of your favorite mons who are in different tiers, but you dont want to have your ass handed to you by people using more conventionally competitive teams in OU?

seems like its not the community who needs to change, but you.
>>
>>31087382
But that's artificially imposed diversity. I feel people should be inherently inclined to pull from a more diverse catalog of Pokemon.
>>
>>31087412
I don't have a problem bringing unconventional teams in OU and holding my own. You misattribute my grievance.
>>
>>31087412
Or Gamefreak needs to be better at balancing so tiers aren't an issue and we can have actual diversity.
>>
>>31087417
But people won't. Most people in competitive communities tend to gravitate towards the most powerful of anything, regardless of how boring it might be. It just so happens that Megas and all that came after them are insanely strong to the point where you genuinely cannot use anything else. It's RU/NU/PU or bust.
>>
>>31086744
Wanna know how I know you're a newfag?

Fun fact: gen 1 and 2 OUs were even MORE cancerous than the current game
>>
>>31087454
>Or Gamefreak needs to be better at balancing

Haha, anon! Give him a serious suggestion, not a joke.
>>
>>31087454
this is the correct thing, but wont happen.
>>31087447
then why are you complaining?
>>
>>31087508
Gen 4 OU wasn't, though. At least, after Garchomp got banned.
>>
>>31086744
>be me
>love pokemon like Bellossom, Xatu, and Quagsire
>not great but they got the job done in game
>grew to really enjoy these pokemon and sought to use them whenever they appeared in later games
>suddenly, the latest generation, Sun and Moon were released
>hear a forceful knock on my door
>OPEN THE DOOR WE KNOW YOU'RE IN THERE
>get assaulted as I open the door
>WE RECEIVED WORD THAT YOU WERE USING TERRIBLE POKEMON YOU'RE UNDER ARREST
>they rip the 3DS from my hands, break the cartridge and take me away
>they sent me to Smogon Prison where I was mind controlled and forced to use Tapu Lele, Garchomp, and Celesteela for the rest of my days
>I wake up from my nightmare, heart racing
>quickly remember that I have not once played competitive nor do I care about what happens in the competitive scene
>go back to sleep
>>
>>31087565
Oh, I agree. Competitive Pokemon peaked in gen 4, dragon-faggotry notwithstanding
>>
>>31086959
The point isn't whether you're right or wrong, or whether your argument has merit or not, it's that you're coming across like a fucking autist. Which I can't imagine you're anything but after witnessing all this nonsense.

Pokemon battling is what it is. Your ideals do not, have not, and never will shape it. Move on, you fucking crazy person, you, or learn to adapt.
>>
>>31086744
in 2003
>>
>>31087454
It's ridiculous to want all Pokemon to be equal. A legendary should not be in the same level as a route 1 shitter.
>>
>>31086744
The game is Pokémon, not Metagame. You can choose how you play it.
>>
>>31087622
UU was tops, man. I fucking loved that tier, basically anything worked because everything below OU was really around the same power level, barring of course route 1 rodents and the like. Even some of those, too, though, like Linoone.
>>
>>31087563
Because what manifests under current circumstances is monotonous and not particularly fun.

>>31087662
If you feel there's a point beyond whether I'm right, and whether my posts have merit, you're wrong.

I will tell you right now that I am autistic, but until you present some reason that my autism might inhibit my capacity to find reason and draw conclusions therefrom, my autism is completely fucking irrelevant so I don't want to hear another goddamn mention of it.

>Pokemon is what is it is.
And that is a regressive, vacuous statement. Just because some circumstance exists doesn't mean it cannot exist in better health. Just because people die of cancer today doesn't mean people will die of cancer forever.

If my ideals are ill-conceived, explain why or shut the fuck up and step aside for those who can contribute something more substantial than that absolute heap of vapid shit that you just spewed.

Consider yourself fucking dismissed from this conversation.
>>
>>31086744
By "this game" you mean competitive, which has literally always been this way.
>>
>>31087858
Look anon, your ideas aren't bad, but you're spewing them off in the most drawn-out, pretentious way I've ever heard and it's making people laugh at you. Keep it concise and in language that's more commonly accepted on 4chan and people will listen.
>>
>>31086744
>playing competitive shit
>ever
>>
>>31087858
Holy shit this one of the most autistic things ive ever read
>>
>>31087922
I weep for people that would laugh at a valid idea because of how it's expressed.

These people do not matter.

They exist in my world and never the reverse.

>>31088000
And you would reject a valid idea because you don't appreciate its wording. You are a child.
>>
>>31088000
Even Kek agrees with me, check those trips
>>
>>31086744
Since Gen 1
>>
>>31088019
I get the idea, you hate the meta game because its all copy and paste. There will always be top tier used pokemon above others. Why isnt Hoppip used in the height of competition? Because its shit and only a stat revamp would help it. Some mons are just not good enough, and others are better and more used. Get over it
>>
>>31088019
>I weep for people that would laugh at a valid idea because of how it's expressed.

That doesn't change the fact that the majority of people won't listen to someone going on massive, rambling tangents, even if their ideas are good. You're gonna get laughed at, look what happened in the other thread. I honestly thought you were a troll and not genuinely autistic until now. Just keep it short and simple and people will listen. Learn to keep that autism in check and I'm sure you can convince many people.
>>
>>31087858
>Because what manifests under current circumstances is monotonous and not particularly fun.

then stop playing? idk what to tell ya bud. its still fun for me. it was never about which pokemon you used, but how you played.
>>
It's always been this way.
If anything, teams are getting more diverse
>>
>>31087417
Why?
>>
Toxapex, Celesteela, and Marowak are my bros. Not my fault they're a standard ou core.
>>
do you guys play ranked matches ever? I like to use bros on my team and I have them trained to their full potential, IVs and everything, but I always just do free battles... is there any redeeming quality to ranked or competitive? I feel like it would just be more tryhard opponents.
>>
Inequality creates gradients which makes things constantly change and develop as people do different shit with pokemon
There will always be pokemon stronger than others and pokemon that people use just to counter those pokemon
If you're playing seriously you need to learn to like pokemon for more complex reasons than "design", which is incredibly shallow

I liked getting into gen 6 and learning how much I loved manectric
>>
I love my bros but it's unfair to them to use them against Pokemon they stand no chance against. I'm wasting their potential if I throw, say, Huntail or Lapras or Hitmontop against the Leles and the Jobfrogs.

>>31086835
I do not see you coming up for a more viable alternative. Is your favorite pokemon Ledian or something?
>>
>>31088780
>more complex reasons than "design", which is incredibly shallow

are you just referring to stats, movesets, abilities and all that? I'll only use pokemon I like because of their design, but if they have a hidden ability or something useful I'll take advantage of it.
are you suggesting people just choose whatever pokemon has the best stats? I think that's much more shallow of a thing to do.
>>
File: IMG_9066.jpg (61KB, 600x694px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9066.jpg
61KB, 600x694px
My bro will NEVER be viable in any meta thanks to this thing.
>>
File: 1476566773943.jpg (100KB, 692x530px) Image search: [Google]
1476566773943.jpg
100KB, 692x530px
OU has changed faces but it's always been about being the strongest pokemon possible.

You may be too young to remember but there was a time that Persian, Tauros, and Chansey were the top fucking dogs of the pokemon metagame.

Then it was pokemon like Forretress who learned an interesting move called Spikes. Steel was introduced bringing in the concept of walling and stalling with superior defensive types, as Gen1's Psychic heavy metagame did not lead well to much stalling unless the Pokemon was Chansey or Slowbro.

Gen3 brought about abilities and some old pokemon that were worthless or not so great got a new lease on life because of them. Things like levitate gave old pokemon new uses or immunities or potential.

Each generation things change, but any competitive person worth their salt is going to want to win first. The fun for them is prediction, strategy, competition, and countering the opponent. If you want a game where all pieces are equal, play checkers, you know? But there isn't nearly as much variety. OU players enjoy things for a different reason but they still have fun doing it.

Do what you want, have fun doing it, but don't be upset that other people are playing with their toys in a different manner.
>>
>>31087000
>I want to play with not-so-goodmons
>But also I want to use Xurkitree and Mega Salamence
I don't know if you understand how this works.
>>
>>31086959
You do realize that smogon's tiering provides more diverse metagame a than the system that doesn't have them (VGC) right? My lapras has a tier to play in, with similarly powered Pokemon, where it isn't outclassed. If you're only seeing OU:the team, then try a different tier. Play where your bros are viable
>>
>>31087417
That sounds a lot like banning things to me...
>>
File: 1407973260250.gif (499KB, 300x231px) Image search: [Google]
1407973260250.gif
499KB, 300x231px
>>31087417
But why use, I don't know, an Audino, when a Chansey does its job so much better? Why use Flygon when Garchomp gets nearly everything it gets but does it so much better?

I'm not saying don't use them, but don't demonize the guy who prefers pokemon A over pokemon B. The guy who wants his team to be better. He's having fun winning. For him it's not about the chess pieces, it's about how he uses them.
>>
>>31087569
Sir, were you aware that you were caught going under base 100 speed?

I see your Xatu isn't wearing its Tailwind, either.

Step out of the car, sir.
>>
>>31087724
Right, but there's no reason a random spooky sword should be better than half of said legendaries either. He said balanced, not literally the same. What Pokemon NEEDS is r&d and a live team to tweak balance post launch. This will never happen.
>>
>>31088019
>I weep for people
Come on man. This doesn't make you sound smart, if anything it reads as overcompensating.
>>
>>31088952
This, but OP has autism tunnel-vision
>>
>>31089016
He's a /mu/ troll. Ignore him.
>>
>>31088901
You clearly don't understand what I'm saying, which is that NU isn't the solution because there's still artificially imposed diversity.

>>31088916
Impossible for anyone with favorites from several tiers. i have favorites in OU, BL, UU, RU, etc.

>>31088952
Because you like Audino and/or Flygon more. To do anything but is fucking laziness on your behalf. There are ways to make Flygon work in OU, in ways that Garchomp can't. They don't share abilities and they don't share movepools. They are not the same.

If trainer B opts to use Pokemon that he doesn't necessarily like for the sake of convention, he's shit, and too fucking lazy to conjure strategies suitable to his favorites.

>He's having fun winning.
Ha.

Winning through what efforts and investment? Winning because he copy/pasted a team from an RMT thread or just pulled 6 Pokemon from the top 20 in Showdown OU usage stats and attached to them their most conventional fucking movesets?

Winning my fucking ass. That is bullshit. That is fucking lazy. That is "winning" through little/no personal involvement and investment and a fucking disservice to the word. He copied the chess pieces and the means to use them.
>>
>>31088943
How the fuck does that sound like banning things to you?

Are you fucking retarded?
>>
All jokes aside
I think I sympathize with what OP. I played pokemon for fun back in the day, when I use to get natures just for their "personalities" and roleplaying aspect. But going online, I had to give that up because natures are important so thats not a big deal.

What sucks is, is the fact you may like a certain pokemon but it's OU or you may like a pokemon when it was "shit" but witht he way the games are is now "OU" or even ubers. There's no creativity anymore, hell even in-game with the battle tree, you gotta use fast- harding pokemon, which are the Tapu's and UB's so everyone is going to be using the same thing, which goes for online. It REALLY sucks when you want to use a certain pokemon that you may have used for YEARS and everyone else is using it saying it's their "bro" when thats bullshit. (ex:Gengar, Talonflame).

I blame Gamefreak for the powercreep, and honestly the horrible balancing this game has.(like why do they have a hard-on for screwing over ice-types?)
>>
>>31089167
First of all, there really is no reason to get this angry over something this small.

Yes, there are ways to play Flygon in OU. Yes, he does possess a certain niche there with Levitate, Dragon Dance, and a good special movepool that Garchomp does not have. But no, Flygon does not perform nearly as well as Garchomp - it can't use it's STABs as effectively, it does not have the bulk to perform well, it's simply just too slow, it can only switch in to Ground and Electric moves where Garchomp can switch in on a variety of moves in many different situations, etc.

The point of a competitive game is to win. People can have fun in different ways about it. I don't particularly enjoy playing against stall, but I know people who do like playing against and/or with it. Same goes for using the genies, or the Tapus, or what have you. You don't dictate fun for others, that is a surefire way to make people dislike you, regardless of whatever truth you may speak.
>>
File: Remove Hasparat.jpg (139KB, 707x530px) Image search: [Google]
Remove Hasparat.jpg
139KB, 707x530px
>>31089167
Again, not everyone is concerned with favorites. Some people crave competition. The effort comes from strategy, prediction, and being clever.

You are also under the mistaken impression that OU consists completely of OU pokemon, but that is wrong. I see Qwilfish in OU with pretty good frequency. A pokemon with poor stats to be sure, but its movepool, typing, and versatility give it strength.

You clearly like pokemon for a different reason than they do. There's nothing wrong with that. What is wrong is demonizing them for playing in a way you don't agree with.

And finally, I cannot TELL you how many times I have seen the "same copy/pasted" team online or in Showdown. Do you know what happens to Joe Shmoe who copies an OU team move and stat by stat? He fucking loses. Do you know why?

Each OU team is crafted not just to suit the metagame itself, but to suit certain personal strategies. To suit an individual player's ability to predict, to suit their team's needs, to support a core pokemon they genuinely enjoy using because he's gotten them so far in the game.

Back in the D/P/Pla days I had a "friend" who was notorious in our circle for hacking in OU pokemon teams he blatantly copied from Smogon, but he could never fucking win with them. He had the moves, the stats, but he didn't really understand strategy, checks, team sync, proper switching, or predicting his opponent. I usually beat him with my shitty mixed bag team of my favorite pokemon not because of HURRR FRIENDSHIP but because it was blatantly obvious what his next move was going to be. Anyone can copy a team but using it is a different matter.
>>
Thread closed.

You're all dismissed.
>>
File: 1422236320799.jpg (24KB, 450x360px) Image search: [Google]
1422236320799.jpg
24KB, 450x360px
>>31089358
Apparently Hiroshimoot got rid of this, but I'm going to keep the tradition alive.

(You)
>>
>>31089401
Why are you posting so many Star Trek images?
>>
File: 1406147071110.gif (369KB, 500x308px) Image search: [Google]
1406147071110.gif
369KB, 500x308px
>>31089455
It's fun!
>>
>>31089358
As I said, getting this mad over something so small is unhealthy.

I have no genuinely no idea how you survive on /mu/ with this sort of childish attitude, but then I realize that tripfags and /r/lewronggeneration or some faggy Reddit board rule /mu/ and almost every one of them become some shitty thread celebrity like Monty or Antz, sadly enough.
>>
>>31088855
No... Did you think about it?
I mean that you should consider multiple parts of a pokemon during team building, from visual appeal to actual usefulness
Picking pokemon based on visuals is really just as bad as just looking at stats

Don't box yourself into a corner
>>
>>31086744
Sorry your top Bros are weak shitmon.
>>
>>31089474
You always do this?

>>31089479
I seldom post on /mu/ anymore for those exact reasons.

I still hold grievance on matters of this thread but I'm OK to forget them for now.
>>
>>31089632
One piece of advice I have for you regarding teambuilding is... Make multiple teams
Chances are, you have more than 6 pokemon you like and several of those have no business existing together on a team
Make multiple, start with your favourites then fill in the gaps with shit that will help you succeed and have fun
>>
>>31089632
Do you always tripfag?
>>
>>31089690
I don't need your advice. I already have a set of procedures for teambuilding.

I'm working on my third post-Pokebank team right now.

>>31089721
This day is the first in over a month that I've used this trip, so no.
>>
>>31089751
Clearly you do need the advIce if it's such an ordeal, as I have been following the thread
>>
>>31090266
Clearly you misunderstand my "ordeal," then.
>>
I dont really get why your blaming smogon and other people trying to make rules when its GF who doesnt want to make the game balanced. Not everything has to be able to take on Salamence head to head, but every pokemon should at least try to fill a niche of some sort. There are more ways to make pokemon good then pure power, whether its unique move pools, different abilities, thought out stats etc etc.

If GF wants to make every ice type slow, fine, but give ice type a few resistances to make them playable.

If GF wants to make slow pokemon with no defenses fine, but then make trick room more usuable (Via pokemon who sets it up and an item to extend the amount of turns). Atleast try.

I dont really get when people say pokemon shouldn't be pushed into competitive when really im sure you could have both and most people playing just for fun would never notice.

> "BUT PEOPLE WHO PLAY THE GAME TOO SERIOUSLY WILL RUIN THE EXPERIENCE"

Literally happens with every multiplayer game and still happens in the current meta. You can always play with friends or find people in the community who enjoy the same style of play you do, but I dont think that a competitive edge to the game should be completely ignored.

I understand things like Farfetch'd and Luvdisc being gimmicky and bad on purpose, but on the other hand ive never seen them in game and thought "Wow this really helps build the world im in." Instead its just "Well im never gonna use this thing in a real run through unless im looking to shoot myself in the foot."

GF could do more things with their franchise, and really they should be putting 100% of their effort into their world because they have created this magical fucking game that I love the concept of and love so many of their designs, but I swear evertime they do something right, they do five other things wrong.
>>
UU used to be the perfect place for making bro teams, but since gen 7 UU started it has become gen 6 OU.
>>
File: 1479171871970.png (1MB, 1440x1060px) Image search: [Google]
1479171871970.png
1MB, 1440x1060px
>>
File: autismspectrum.png (22KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
autismspectrum.png
22KB, 400x400px
>>
>>31090652
>Andrew hussie
>John Green

what is this, Tumblr circa 2014?
>>
>>31090747
I don't know man, saw it in a thread a few months ago and saved it. I don't even know who john green is.
>>
>>31087565
Fun fact: Gen 3 meta was da best
>>
>>31088030
>>>/pol/
>>
Its nice to have leisure battles but real battles are a severe trial, OP.
>>
>>31086744
When it became possible to battle online.
>>
>We need more Diversity
>disregard logic, acquire Diversity
>Diversity Diversity Diversity
Help, I've accidentally landed in an American University.
>>
>>31086744
Gen 1
>>
>>31086744
k.

>>31086959
>People of an open mind will read that post and see reason. They will be persuaded of my position.
k.
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.