[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 320
Thread images: 52

File: mysterycumgeon.png (159KB, 249x225px) Image search: [Google]
mysterycumgeon.png
159KB, 249x225px
What went wrong?
>>
File: 1470676095750.png (3MB, 1700x1700px) Image search: [Google]
1470676095750.png
3MB, 1700x1700px
>>31079477
the fanbase
>>
>>31079523
Why do fursonas always have the exact same hair like on lucario?
>>
File: 1482278573157.png (300KB, 1186x770px) Image search: [Google]
1482278573157.png
300KB, 1186x770px
>>31079477
Had Super Mystery Dungeon did the following, it would've outclassed Explorers in most ways:
>Pacing fixed so that your ass was out of elementary school quicker.
>Ability to set the story at your own pace by being able to dick around in dungeons instead of being forced to progress the story, which would solve grinding issues.
>The above would also be helped if randomized missions from Explorers were brought back, giving players a way to grind for money and items along with Exp. at the same time.
(In Super's defense, I can see that they were trying to go through a "gotta recruit 'em all" completionist goal. Also Pokemon recruitment was guaranteed rather than some chance bullshit).
>Your partner had character development (which Explorers didn't do well on, either).
>IQ was kept, maybe brought back with emeras and possibly linked somehow in "IQ skill mastery" for permanently acquired skills or something like that. IQ grinding wouldn't be too much of a problem either, since emeras could substitue.
OR
>Emeras are improved upon by having "prefered emeras" that you can set for each Pokemon to increase the likelyhood of finding certain emeras. Or perhaps the ability to make held items have permanent emeras.
>Pic related is a problem I have with all the games' endings.
>>
>>31079950
but it did outclass explorers in most ways
>>
Dunno, I don't play spin off furry simulation trash.
>>
>>31079994
>projecting
>>
limited amount of missions
shit story
barely any characters with an actual personality
retarded feature where they give you powerful pokémon like salamence when you're lv10 or some shit in exchange for none of your teammates being available ever

the only good thing about the game is being able to recruit almost every pokemon and being able to recruit characters from older games (not that it really matters when you can't talk to them)
>>
>limited missions
>Pokemon can't be recruited anytime, only through missions
>final boss is once again not a Pokemon
>mediocre story that stars the partner instead of you

I still like it though.
>>
>>31079950
Good points, except for the partner character development. The partner was the star of the show, and definitely showed significant character development.
>>
>>31080140
The final boss not being a Pokemon is a great thing. It makes the battles able to be more dynamic and difficult, and gets rid of the whole complication of "how do I explain adding the big bad to my team?".
>>
Story too slow when it's dull, and too fast when it's interesting
Post-game consisted of THREE story dungeons, when Sky's was fucking enormous

It didn't make me feel for the partner near as much; when your bro is contemplating heroic suicide after a legendary tells you to die to save the world, it leaves a big impact
Nothin' of the sort in Super

I hated being punished for wanting to use a small crew of mons repeatedly

That said, the gameplay changes were fucking fantastic
It was a proper dungeon crawler for sure

Not bad, but not nearly as good
>>
>>31080373
Also, the fact the main villains (Dark Matter aside) were being 'heart-mind-controlled' was bad
Dusknoir's motivations were significantly better and more real
>>
>>31079562
And the weird glasses, too. I think it's the autist combo, the Lucario genuinely looks like it's disabled.
>>
The saving grace

https://smd.salthax.org/
>>
File: Emrakul-the-Promised-End.jpg (146KB, 850x500px) Image search: [Google]
Emrakul-the-Promised-End.jpg
146KB, 850x500px
>>31080394
Mind control is usually some sort of cop-out in kid's plots. Good usage of mind control delves into the implications of ethics, the lack of free will, and facing an enemy that causes betrayal. Mind control also must have some sort of counter.
If I were to rewrite this, I would make it so that Dark Matter bends or breaks minds of Pokemon by exploiting their mental weaknesses (for example: pushing someone's envy over the edge to induce conflict, neutralize potential threats that it can't exploit through despair or fear, manipulating the wrathful or overconfident to their doom). The reason why you two are exempt from fighting its corruption is because you are not a Pokemon and thus Dark Matter is not a part of you and your partner is mew and is mentally adaptable.

>>31080373
>>31080140
I felt like Dark Matter was wasted potential, but if we were to use Dark Matter to its proper potential, then PMD would probably be really dark. Chun kinda fucked themselves on this one.
>>
>>31080729 (Me)
Pic related is an antagonist in Magic the Gathering whose mere presence warps minds to either raging psychosis that results in mutation, or despair that results in people retreating into nostalgia.
This is why I find Dark Matter's mindbending in a kid's game to be problematic.
>>
File: 900px-274Nuzleaf.png (406KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
900px-274Nuzleaf.png
406KB, 900x900px
I reckon
>>
>>31080811
This actually got me really well
The scene at Revelation Mountain was breddy gud, with how you were realizing something wasn't right at the same time as the PC
>>
File: 1482643254860.png (152KB, 358x306px) Image search: [Google]
1482643254860.png
152KB, 358x306px
Made me fall in love with pic related no not the VP
>>
>>31079477
The break system is has no reason to be around, especially after you've finished the story. It's also far too easy to get stat-boosting items and reviver seeds.

Dark Matter should have just been a freaky alien entity instead of recycling Bittercold's negativity deal, and the ending should be reworked so it actually makes sense. It's also a shame that the schoolkids bar Espurr get dropped halfway through, because I liked them a lot.

Probably my favourite Pokémon game though, it's a lot of fun. Those gameplay changes were on point.
>>
owo
>>
>>31079477
only bad thing was the break system

everything else was fine
>>
>>31079562

Because they copy and paste it from the same sources.
>>
The story pacing imo was terrible. You spend 12 hours in school then a week after you run away from home you are literally fighting god at the edge of the universe. The game wouldnt have suffered one bit from scrapping 90% of the starting town completely.

Ironically i actually like the friend orb system. It makes it so you are guaranteed every pokemon to be on your team at some point in time unlike in previous games where some pokemon had a very low spawn rate and/or recruit rate.
>>
Is this a plot hole or was i not paying attention
Mew goes on to explain how you purposefully wanted your memory wiped so the plan to destroy dark matter could go through correctly this time but nuzleaf says that when you arrived you were fully aware of your plan and tried to defend yourself against him.
>>
File: 1476839874076.png (142KB, 400x250px) Image search: [Google]
1476839874076.png
142KB, 400x250px
Saving and being unable to grind more if needed.

Yeah, maybe I´m stupid.
>>
>>31079477
>The main story is really fucking short, and it doesn't help that you can see how many bosses you have defeated and how many are left in the start screen.
>dungeon mysteriosity was removed instead of improved
>hunger is back
>no non-starters MC and partners other than riolu and pikachu
>Not being able to evolve to your 2nd stage until the story is completely done.
>No DLC missions
>accuracy is shit
>accuracy, power and pp up drinks are expensive and feel like they have little to no effect
>move leveling feels no longer rewarding and it's hard to level up

>>31080360
The problem is that it was pretty bad executed and all in all a retarded edgelord.
What PMD needs is a villain that you get to see and fight more than once.

>>31079950
>Pic related is a problem I have with all the games' endings.
SPOILERS
i thought the ending was a pretty nice twist, made me laugh my ass off how your character actually wanted to stay and did so, only because he was never intented to leave.
though they wasted the opportunity of making the game a little longer by actually making a questline about the MC finding a way to stay.

>>31080811
>>31080858
Yeah, that was well played, it made me think the village was a fucking crazy cult town when i went to the mount for the first time
>>
>>31081629
Also i forgot
>Friends from the school might as well have died after you leave the town since they are completely forgotten and never bought back, except for spurr.

>>31081441
You were not paying attention
Mew thought that doing the same plan would lead to the same results, so instead of going with the old plan, it wiped the MC memory and it's memory, so they could find a better way to stop it once and for all, the thing is that mew wiped your memory as you were fighting against nuzleaf's gang
>>
File: 1442489139849.png (783KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1442489139849.png
783KB, 800x800px
>>31079477
If fixed most of the problems with Gates but was still missing some things from the first two sets of games. No IQ, no random missions, and no online rescuing (you can use codes so it's not that bad but I loved being able to help out strangers by checking the server in Explorers sometimes I think about those last few people on Floor 97 of Zero Island West that will never get rescued and feel sad), and only having three party members for the sake of "well the fourth slot gets filled by guest Pokémon" were all problems I had.

I also think the epilogue story where you rescued your Mew partner was super rushed.

That being said, I still loved the game. It's my second favorite PMD game besides Explorers, and I'd still buy another game that went in this direction even if it's missing the aforementioned things from the first two game sets.
>>
>>31081789
To be fair, most every one in this thread will buy the next PMD no matter what
Super was definitely worse, but we're comparing a decently good game to a masterpiece
>>
File: 178832145.jpg (9KB, 261x179px) Image search: [Google]
178832145.jpg
9KB, 261x179px
>>31081829
>To be fair, most every one in this thread will buy the next PMD no matter what
For sure, every PMD game is worth if only by it's story

>Super was definitely worse, but we're comparing a decently good game to a masterpiece
>masterpiece
>>
>>31081996
I'm Sky is a masterpiece, anon
Because it is
>>
>>31080140
>>Pokemon can't be recruited anytime, only through missions
Attacking this is like defending HMs.
>>
>>31081829
>>31082013
Look, obviously sky is a masterpiece, but don't be a fucking cunt about it. Stop making threads about it, too, you're gonna make people hate the game and drive away potential new fans with your faggotry.
>>
>>31082088
>Can't have more than one of a species
>No eggs
>Have to go through some shitty spiderweb just to get to the pokemon you want

Dammit, I want it back. Or a mix of the two. Get a single member of a species from the connect orb, but you can recruit more if you feel like it.
>>
I'll be honest, I thought Sky's cast was extremely bland. I never felt like anything was at stake since everyone was either cardboard or my brownnosing coward partner. At least Gates takes the time to develop the 5 main characters, even if they were also rather generic.
>>
>>31080878
>Not the VP
Anon, lying makes you a troublemaker
>>
>>31082013
>>31082090
Sky is also flawed, it's story had many bad points like the perfect apples quest.

>>31082182
My dream pokemon mystery dungeon game is one that has the story and cinematics of GTI, the gameplay of Super, and the postgame of Sky, with the zoo of rescue team.
>>
>>31082090
>Don't be a cunt
???

Also, I didn't even make the thread
Not to mention, PMD are minor as fuck
There's one every couple of days and they scarcely hit the bump limit
I don't think anyone believe these aren't niche

What are you even on about
>>
I don't get why continents didn't just unlock through story progression or during the postgame. There's no benefit to accessing them early since you're forced through the main game anyway, plus they added almost nothing to the story.
>>
>>31082534
I guess it's less don't be a cunt and don't be an annoying fanboy about it. Maybe I'm just used to the people making the threads, IDK.
>>
>>31082555
>There's no benefit to accessing them early since you're forced through the main game anyway, plus they added almost nothing to the story.
the few free missions that they let you have can be used to get lots of exploration points so you can expand your backpack.
i thought it was cool you could go and choose the hardest dungeons for bigger rewards but it made going back to the other lower level dungeons feel like a waste of time.
>>
>>31082606
If I think a game's fantastic, I'm gonna say so, same as anyone who thinks it's shit can say so
If neither of us go on ranting about it, I don't see the problem

Besides, even if I love it it ain't immaculate

Aegis Cave is pretty fucking unforgivable, for example
>>
File: 1469493414010.png (417KB, 400x520px) Image search: [Google]
1469493414010.png
417KB, 400x520px
>>31079477
While Super is not SKY is not bad either. It is a fine game own its own, just not as good as SKY. It has the superior gameplay.
Its flaws are:
>Pacing
>No Post game conent
>Finite Missions
>Region Locking rescues
>Break System
I wish we either stayed at the Village or started with the Society. You drop the SK just when are getting to know them and the Explorers are not developed at all. More Focus on the MC.

The Ideal PMD has:
>Super's Gameplay
>SKY's Tier of content
>Gates'(or better) tier of characters
>Both Recruitment systems.
Yes, the Conenction Orb is okay and it removes the RNG of recruitments but having a single copy of a pokemon is not okay. I see no reason not be able to recruit the Old Way
>Hidden Abilities
>Egg Moves and Tutor Moves
>Satisfing hard LV1 Dungeons that can be done by a bunch of Pokemon and not a choosen few
>>
What's the deal with gates? Is it worth a try if I didn't care for super and dropped it?
>>
>>31082980
Gates is fucking horrid
>>
>>31083056
I keep seeing people saying that the story is good, though, and that intrigues me. Is it good enough to slog through the horror?
>>
>>31083107
not really, they force in a love story where dunsparce gets cucked, the music is mediocre and the postgame is literally nothing but killing legendaries over and over
>>
File: SMD_watchog_ahegao.jpg (3KB, 64x63px) Image search: [Google]
SMD_watchog_ahegao.jpg
3KB, 64x63px
>>31080878
>>
>>31079477
>>31079477
Uhhhhhhhhhh. Absolutely nothing. Its a great game
>>
>>31083596
are you sure about that
>>
>>31079477
>always fucking miss
>everything one shots you
Had to stop playing because I literally couldn't progress without boring myself to death
>>
>>31084091
Sounds like you might be underlevelled. You should only really be getting one-shot if you're fighting certain bosses or going after those quite distinctive high-level enemies. If you do give it another chance try exploring the floors more thoroughly to gain experience.
>>
>>31082980
better than super but the slow text speed will drive you crazy and it has a poor pokemon selection so probably best to not bother
>>
>>31079477
The whole friend system.
Every dungeon dive just felt like it was me, my partner, and some random faggot third wheel who happened to be free who I could not care less about.
In the older games your team felt a lot more personal because, although sometimes the RNG could fuck you over with recruitment, you could generally bring them with you as much as you did your partner, allowing them to consistently grow alongside you.

The best thing PSMD did was the balancing of Moves. Because your basic attack did jack-shit for damage, moves like Tackle and Scratch were useful for longer due to their high PP count.
>>
>>31079523
the heck is wrong with haunters eyes?
>>
>>31085238
It's the creator's fetish, I think. their entire deviantart is filled with that shit if memory serves
>>
File: consider this.png (15KB, 670x543px) Image search: [Google]
consider this.png
15KB, 670x543px
>>31079477
Enemies have WAY too much fucking health. It doesn't help that your attacks constantly miss too and/or start off doing little damage until you level it up.

By the time you actually join the Rescue Team, you're halfway done with the main story.

You can't constantly use the same partners. I know it was done to balance the fact that you get overleveld mons early on, but if that was the case I would've preffered the classic method of recruiting random enemies in dungeons.

Once again, you can't evolve until you've beaten the entire game. They tried to compensate this complaint by having your starters warp digivolve for certain boss battles, but it's not the same.

The starters are thankfully all back, but instead of having alternatives like Meowth, Vulpix, or Psyduck, you're stuck with the elemental starters, plus Pikachu and Riolu.
>>
>>31083107
Ah, don't listen to oh pee.

He might have somewhat of a point with Dunsparce, but overall the rest of the story is pretty good, with some great characters. It doesn't have Explorer's level of postgame, but it is better then rescue's.
>>
>>31079477
Story was shit compared to Explorers and especially Gates

Gameplay's by far the best in the series though
>>
nut
>>
awoo
>>
>>31082980
It's totally worth a try, i would dare to say that GTI has the best story of all the PMD, the music is fine and the gameplay is a mid point between sky and super, the problem with GTI is that it has no postgame content, the base building was poorly implemented and it has the gen V mindset of trying to have only gen V pokemon, but it's totally worth playing it.

>>31083202
>>31085504
Dunsparce was just a very innocent pokemon, almost like a child, actually it would have work so much better if they had made him a baby or mid stage pokemon.
>>
>>31086643
>it has the gen V mindset of trying to have only gen V pokemon

Not a bad thing.
>>
>>31088827
gen v is objectively the worst gen
>>
>>31089613
nah
>>
>>31091029
yeah
>>
File: GtI.jpg (143KB, 676x851px) Image search: [Google]
GtI.jpg
143KB, 676x851px
>>31079477
So /vp/, what would be your idealistic PMD game? I'll start with the universally liked stuff from the top of my head:
>having a quiz, but you can override the result and choose (just like in Super)
>smarter AI (like in Super)
>Being able to control text speed, or at least have text that isn't slower than Vikavolt
>Being able to do multiple missions in the same day (unlike in GtI)
>Being able to use anyone you've recruited at any day (unlike in Super)
>A decent post-game (like in Explorers)
>Great music (all the games)
>>
>>31091160
>you don't have to choose a starter or forced mascot to play as
>bring back everything from sky
>lose the stupid connector orb bullshit, maybe make it so you can get an item that makes a pokemon auto-join you, 1 per dungeon at the very start, as well as bringing back the RNG of pokemon joining
>noteworthy postgame
>more MD, less P
>>
I'm coming into this thread late, but I just have to say I never got past the beginning of the game where you're in school. I just got so bored that I put it down and never picked it back up.

And that's sad considering how much I loved the original Mystery Dungeon as a kid.
>>
>>31091160
Sky remake 3bh
>>
It's a series based on a game for LITERAL children, with gameplay for LITERAL children, with designs that appeal to LITERAL children, with a story and themes written for mature audiences.
>>
>/vp/ is now shitting on SMD
Oh fuck, it's almost as good as sky.
>>
>>31079523
Say what you will about the rest of it, I unironically love the little arceus.
>>
>>31081148
>Dark Matter should have just been a freaky alien entity instead of recycling Bittercold's negativity deal
I kinda agree with this. I much prefer invaders from another planet/dimension with rediculous power over "muh darkness of your heart" or "lmao, it just exists"
>>
>>31082134
If they made more variety available early on, and had some indicator of how to get the species you wanted, it would be way better. At least with the old system, if you really, really, super-autistically needed to have a Metagross, or a Gligar or something on your team you could wondermail it in. Super you just have to suffer.
>>
File: Bullshit detector goin' BIIIING.png (155KB, 400x297px) Image search: [Google]
Bullshit detector goin' BIIIING.png
155KB, 400x297px
>>31085504
>but it is better then rescue's.
Them's fight'n words.
Literally every post-game dungeon with a boss in Rescue Team had a narrative attatched to it. Whether Spinda had his plot, Latios and Latias had theirs, even Mewtwo's had a point where you needed to go there because the monster inside was too dangerous to let alone. And are you just going to gloss over Gengar and Gardevoir's resolution? Rescue Team's Postgame was great.
>>
>>31091160
>Base mechanics of Super are fine, and great. Maybe make the basic attack scale a bit better. Not great, but 5 damage stops being relevant at all by level 20.
>More unusual starters. Yeah, Charmander's great, but my favorites have been things like Cubone, Meowth, and Munchlax. I know people love the quizz, but there's only 25 natures.
>Existent postgame story. I don't care if it is literally some guy telling you Groudon/Terrakion/Whatever is in this cave, and you should go check it out, but it fucking needs something connecting these events together. Give us dialogue man! I'd kill for an actual postgame story, offering insight into the interaction between the legends, and what their schemes are, but just some crumbs, man.
>I'm fine with Connector Orb style recruitment, but make more varied mons available earlier, shoot for like, ANY of the first forms being available within the first two hours of play, if you go for that one. NO more time off, either. Just gate the level 55 Salamence behind later missions.
>On that note, these missions could tell stories of their own. IMagine if, say, the Axew mission in which you fight Salamence had a follow-up where you fight with that Salamence to get a bunch of Sneasel out of its nest or something.
>Emeras are fine, but there needs to also be an IQ system.
>Super made big steps to making the AI better. It really did. But it can do better. No more spamming projectiles in melee range when better moves are available, no more randomly deciding to run away when you are relying on them in a brawl, no more spamming self moves at random when they are irrelevant. I shouldn't ever angst over the fact that only one of three members is not going to be a retard this turn.
>>
>>31092887
nice
>>
File: Sacred Ruins.png (65KB, 1320x696px) Image search: [Google]
Sacred Ruins.png
65KB, 1320x696px
>>31091160
>no breaks
>all starters from all the past PMD games are around, even the ones from Adventure Squad. Fire/water/grass every game isn't interesting, and i doubt making portraits is that hard
>repeatable missions
>pokemon recruitable from connection orb/wondermail/repeatable missions/eggs/beating them in a dungeon
>IQ system brought back, or ways to reliably get Emeras you want
>buffed A attack, it should be strong enough to finish something off, right now it's only good for koing Sturdy mons
>Level 1 dungeons that dont have shit like Bellossom 1shotting you instantly
>remove the fucking breaks
>>
File: Exploration Society.png (712KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
Exploration Society.png
712KB, 750x750px
>>31079477
It at least had a leader that was better than Wigglytuff
>>
>>31079950
>randomized missions from Explorers were brought back

Wait, what?
>>
>>31092669
I love that out of all the OCs, the Zoroark is just a normal pokemon
>>
>>31094747
not only is it normal its literally the official art with a badge put on it
>>
>>31092755
THIS
It's also actually better than Sky's, it's not just a bunch of cutscenes like the story is
>>
not the soundtrack, that's for sure
>>
>>31092887
>More unusual starters. Yeah, Charmander's great, but my favorites have been things like Cubone, Meowth, and Munchlax. I know people love the quizz, but there's only 25 natures.
There are 21 starter Pokemon. Pikachu is quintessential, so that's 22. Until the next generation, you have at most 3 Pokemon left unless Chun scraps nature and expands the list. All games have had no greater than 22 available Pokemon.
>On that note, these missions could tell stories of their own. IMagine if, say, the Axew mission in which you fight Salamence had a follow-up where you fight with that Salamence to get a bunch of Sneasel out of its nest or something.
Even if the Connection Orb was scrapped and replaced with the old system, they could still have special missions that act as a sideplot with its own dialogue and storypath. For example, there could be a sidequest where you can bring peace to the region by capturing all of the gang leaders, a few of them even being important to the main plot and have dialogue that references your previous interactions with them.
>Emeras are fine, but there needs to also be an IQ system.
Or at least make it so that emeras can be permanently imprinted onto the loopets in some special way. But yeah I would like an IQ system, but one that is more rational (Lava Evader should be starting level because only idiots walk into lava) and not as hard to grind.
>>
>>31091160 (Me)

I would also like to add that I think that the next game should have some sort of way to command allies to move to a particular tile, item, or enemy, possibly via touchscreen by touching the ally, then touching the tile and he/she will use the shortest route to reach that tile. You can cancel the command, and the command will partially override tactics. For example:
>Unless tactics say otherwise (like hypothetically "Go get items"), the Pokmeon will ignore items to reach its destination.
>If a Pokemon is avoiding fights, that Pokemon will avoid sleeping Pokemon and prioritize moving to its target over attacking others.
>Targeted enemies will be pursued and attacked regardless of tactics.
>If a Pokemon has "Wait here", the Pokemon will move to its destination, but will stop moving when it reaches its destination.
>If a Pokemon has "Go after foes", that Pokemon will prioritize attacking nearby enemies over moving to its target.
>If another ally is the target, that Pokemon will follow him/her as if that ally was its leader.
>The target goes away when (1) The target Pokemon is defeated. (2) The target item has been touched. (3) The target tile has been reached.
>The target will not go away if that target is an ally. Targets can be reset by option or by having the ally target you (this effect will reset certain tactics such as "Wait here" to "Let's go together".)
>>
>>31098549
(You)
>>
Can someone explain to me what breaks are?

I played PSMD from start to finish but don't remember anything about a "break" mechanic, unless it was given a different name in-game.
>>
FINALY DID IT! I beat zero isle south in sky without a guide! Now only north and east to go.
>>
>>31099521
Sometimes when you go to pick a pokemon, it'll say "CLOSED" on them. Seems to happen more the stronger the pokemon is. The problem is it never goes away, and feels like something they threw in because of how early you get shit like Salamence.

>>31099732
>tfw i wrote that guide

What pokemon did you use? North is very simple, but long. You aint shit until you do Destiny Tower
>>
>>31099785
Oh, that's what you meant by break? Fuck that shit, I agree, get rid of it and just don't allow OP Pokémon to be caught so early.
>>
>>31099805
At least with Chunsoft i feel like they can learn from their mistakes more than GF can.
>>
>>31099861
I agree there, the comeback from Gates to Super was incredible.

I feel like the main series would be better if Chunsoft took over.
>>
>>31099521
Sometimes Pokemon that you've recruited become unavailable to use on your team. This has been done to encourage a wider usage of Pokemon and possibly to show that Pokemon have things they do on their own time.

It's dumb because most people play with a set team that fulfills most of their requirements. People don't like being forced to work with things they aren't comfortable with for no reason, and previous games never had this restriction, let alone the main games.
It is a lot of times acceptable to ignore real life things if it means making one's art becoming more realized. You don't need to pee in most video games because in 99% of games it would be a waste of time and adds nothing to the quality of the game.
>>
>>31099918
The main series would be better if nearly anybody else took over. GF are very mediocre devs that got absurdly lucky
>>
>>31099785
Probopass
>can walk on water
>iron defense and magnet rise more useful than i imagined
>ridiculous defense, you can spam the basic attack on first floors
Main problem was finding poliwrath and monferno. Also what guide?
>>
>>31099861
Chunsoft is fine. I highly doubt they'll do something like that again.
>>
File: wooper mystery dungeon 9.jpg (162KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
wooper mystery dungeon 9.jpg
162KB, 400x240px
>>31099938
Motivated pokemon was more than enough motivation to use different pokemon.

As it is now, the only way to guarantee the pokemon you want to use never go on break is to hack them in as starters, simply put.
>>
File: mareep and wooper pmd.png (719KB, 986x731px) Image search: [Google]
mareep and wooper pmd.png
719KB, 986x731px
>>31099992
>what guide

I made a bunch for PMD back when the generals were still a thing. Not every guide in this pastebin is from me, but the more important ones (level 1 strategies, recruitment) were me. http://pastebin.com/Dbq61R5u
>>
>>31100063
Cool read.
>>
What role do you guys think the UBs could play in the next Mystery Dungeon game?

desu I'm just excited to see what kind of personality they give them, especially UB-02
>>
File: 100%.jpg (61KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
100%.jpg
61KB, 640x480px
>>31100313
Thanks, I tried to make them as helpful as possible. I ran ZIS with like 95% of those pokemon as far as i could. Still havent gone back to writing guides for every mon, mostly because i stumbled upon the strongest pokemon in the game very early on
>>
File: images.jpg (5KB, 328x154px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5KB, 328x154px
>>31079994
>>
>>31100499
checked
>>
File: sad.jpg (149KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
sad.jpg
149KB, 700x525px
>>31100063
I miss the generals. I want a new PMD that will give us a lot to talk and rescue missions that are not region locked so we can go and save each other. If only infinite mission still existed..
>>
>>31101442
With SM having come out i had to quit making them because they kept getting pushed off page 10 because the board was too fast. Dunno how well it'd work trying to restart it now.
>>
>>31101498
The problem is no new content. There is not much left to talk about. Super's worst flaw is no lasting apeal.4I would love to see them again but who knows if they will have any presence
>>
>>31101611
I might give them another shot, maybe SM brought some people that havent played pmd before
>>
Cosmog's gonna be the center of the next PMD game with Solgaleo and Lunala as parents. Calling it now.
>>
Is it ever explained how pokemon know of humans but the areas were never explored by them?
>>
File: 1480185185369.jpg (131KB, 500x414px) Image search: [Google]
1480185185369.jpg
131KB, 500x414px
>>31101736
>Not MC and The Partner as the adoptive parents

>>31101755
Humans are exint, at least the first one shows traces of human civilazation. Humans are long gone and have become a legend/folk tale/fairy tail
>>
>>31101876
Then how is there a human (You) in the future to help save the past, hm?
>>
>>31101498
>>31101442
I think we could have them back now judging by how this thread is doing.
>>
>>31101898
Yeah, that's weird. Apparently they aren't completely extinct, just extremely rare.
>>
>>31102157
>>31101442
No point in doing it while this thread's up. Keep an eye out when this one 404's
>>
Gen 7 MD ideas:
Silvally will be the protagonist's Pokemon from long ago.
Drampa will be a fatherly figure to either the protagonist or the partner.
Gumshoos and some Yungoos will be detectives who appear periodically.
The Ultra Beasts will likely be the antagonists, but if they are then probably not willingly.
>>
>>31102214
Yeah, I know, I just wanted to point it out
>>
>>31102228
Komala will be the new treasure box opener and it will open them by falling on them from a tree
>>
>>31099992
Forgot to mention poison immunity is a plus.
>>
File: t.png (28KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
t.png
28KB, 125x125px
i hated PSMD
>>
>>31094747
And mega absol... poor thing, they doesn't deserve to be associated with this.
>>
>>31102228
The true antagonist is your mentor who progressively tries to get you and your partnernto his/her cult that believes the Ultra Beasts will usher in a new era for Pokekind. Tapus would be originally introduced as the antagonist due to their seemingly antisocial behaviour, but you and your partner eventually realize they did this to protect the pokemon in the end and thus you side with them in the climax.

Screencap this.
>>
Dont expect ubs to be relevant
In super Yveltal is useless , and Hoopa is just a companion
>>
>>31101898
Okay, maybe humans are in a situation like the Shayming Village, secluded from the world and on the verge of extintion. Then again, the PMD games might or might not be in the same world. They are always treated as Mythological Creatures though.

>>31102228
>Drampa will be a fatherly figure to either the protagonist or the partner
It better be for the MC and they better do this. It is a golden chance! Just make a retiered explorer. He adopts you and teaches you the basics. He dies or something emotional once the plot kicks in and he makes you the new guild leader

>Silvally will be the protagonist's Pokemon from long ago.
I think it would be better if he started as NULL and you saved him from the Cryostasis in the ruins of the NOT!Aether Fundation and he joins. He would be another main character, sorta like emolga and dunsparce from Gates
>>
>>31102373
>UB wormhole brings the protag to PMD-world
>mysterious dungeons being caused by UB energy
>exploration teams sent out to find the source of the mysterious energy before everything gets fucked up
>>
I want to be able to evolve without consequences (like missing out on pokemon forever). I want to be able to evolve as part of the damn plot. Fine, that limits us to just pokemon that evolve by stones and friendship. I can live with that! I just want to feel like I'm getting stronger rather than holding myself back at all times.
>>
>>31102432
>Protag is actually Professor Mohn
How do you react?
>>
>>31102435
Evolving doesn't even up stats. Personally i think it's better that way because it doesn't fuck over people that dont want to do it
>>
>>31102460
think about those beans
>>
>>31102460
>holy shit I got to fuck Lusamine twice
>>
>>31102228
You know with the way they have been making the story go in the last few games having a chapter where you end up in ultra space seems like a huge possibility.
>>
>>31102435
in in the wiiware titles you can evolve normally like the main games i think
>>
File: 1453917187831.png (197KB, 547x356px) Image search: [Google]
1453917187831.png
197KB, 547x356px
>>31102228
>your partner from long ago will be a synthetic Pokémon created super recently
>>
>>31102976
t.person who has never played a pmd game
>>
File: 1463852104509.png (374KB, 777x589px) Image search: [Google]
1463852104509.png
374KB, 777x589px
>>31102976
>the PMD universe has to occur at the same time as the mainline series
>>
>>31102976
Idiot.
>>
>>31103021
>>31103047
Sorry, I guess "long ago in the distant future" could be a thing with time travel and such.

>>31103046
You COULD have a PMD game set thousands of years after humanity's extinction. You could also have a mainline game set in medieval times where you can only use apricorns to catch Pokémon. I don't think either are likely, though.
>>
File: 470.png (215KB, 500x345px) Image search: [Google]
470.png
215KB, 500x345px
>>31102228
i hope that Chun can make a spin on the Mystery Dungeon formula in some way such as:
>no traitor
>the traitor is reluctant and not brainwashed
>instead of disappearing in the end, you become separated and first part of the post-game plot is trying to get you back (ex: Ultra Space)
>in the end you haven't disappeared yet, but the post-game is about trying to get yourself to stay
>you or the partner disappear through sacrifice, but you get them back in some way that isn't an ass pull such as being separated
>the antagonist is a well-intended extremist
>you are actually summoned by the antagonist to help them but you either got separated, you found out about the scheme either before or after it was too late, or ran away and suffered amnesia
>seemingly trustworthy/untrustworthy guy trope is subverted
>>
>>31103105
considering porygon is a thing in the pmd series i really don't think type:null will be an issue
>>
>>31103242
I also think Type: Null and Silvally will be in PMD.

I'm just talking about the "your partner from LONG AGO" part. Having Silvally in the game seems reasonable, having it be an ancient Pokémon doesn't.
>>
>>31085306
that's...really creepy
>>
>>31103277
It is also possible that Sivally can actualy bread and live in something like Shymin Village.
>>
>>31103327
That's also reasonable. But not enough time would reasonably pass for it to be an ANCIENT Pokémon possible of being your partner from LONG AGO.
>>
>>31103232
If you put all of the traitors and liars from super in there, you would get a picture at least 3 times bigger, who ever wrote Super's story, had a huge boner for betrayal.
also add to the list
>A villain that isn't just some fucking emo that wants to destroy the world.
and
>You can choose to start as a 2nd stage starter or evolve to 2nd stage during the main story
>>
>>31102435
>I want to be able to evolve as part of the damn plot.

This. in super they vinculated evolving with aging , beating the super ultimate dark boss as a NFE is lack of progression
>>
>>31103607
Early evolution or bust
>>
>>31103047
(9)
>>
File: the weak should fear the strong.jpg (137KB, 607x608px) Image search: [Google]
the weak should fear the strong.jpg
137KB, 607x608px
Reminder that balloons are highly dangerous
>>
>>31107600
>that pic
>implying Smoochum wouldn't just use Forewarn to dodge all of Drifloon's attacks
>>
>>31107705
>implying Smoochum could even land an attack after 10 minimizes
>>
>>31107726
>both pokes just end up flailing at one another and missing until the wind blows them away
This is fine
>>
File: 1468174715314.gif (376KB, 416x312px) Image search: [Google]
1468174715314.gif
376KB, 416x312px
>>31102460
>>31102476
>Beans replace apples as the Belly item
>>
File: 1481134185782.png (88KB, 632x556px) Image search: [Google]
1481134185782.png
88KB, 632x556px
>>31109772
That would explain his love of Beans. He ate so many of them thought the dungeons that he feels like he needs them to survive
>>
File: bean_boy.jpg (703KB, 1360x3024px) Image search: [Google]
bean_boy.jpg
703KB, 1360x3024px
>>31102476
>>31109926
>>
>>31110454
>not naming it "real human bean"
>>
It brought back the one mechanic nobody wanted: Hunger
>>
>>31111582
Speak for yourself, I like hunger.
>>
>>31111582
Hunger is okay
>>
>>31111582
I also disagree, I much prefer having hunger.
>>
>>31081629
Hunger being back is a great thing. What the fuck are you on.

What incentive would there be to not just float through all the walls? What makes you think twice about fast-forwarding to regen?

>no dlc
See, these sorts of things seriously make it seem like you're joking. Why would you ask to pay more money for content? And a lot of what you seem to be asking for is to make the game easier and less suspenseful.
>>
>>31111593
>>31111598
>>31111622
>>31111669
Answer me why hunger is a good thing.
Hunger is just a limiter and it is boring, if anything it NEEDS some new mechanic that make it more interesting, something to play around it, such as making a scarf that makes you stronger if you have a full belly or you will find more items with your belly is above 50%, or some other buff.

>What incentive would there be to not just float through all the walls?
They could make it so there's other things that could make you think twice before floating through a wall, such as going through a wall will spawn ghost pokemon that will go after you.

>Why would you ask to pay more money for content?
I mean, wouldn't you pay for them to make post game story quest lines?
>And a lot of what you seem to be asking for is to make the game easier and less suspenseful.
Do you think dungeon mysteriosity makes the dungeons easier and less suspenseful?
>>
>>31111582

This

The only thing Gates to infinity did right was getting rid of it
>>
>>31112027
Gates removed the wrong mechanic. If they removed the winds instead of Hunger, it would have been better. They both serve to try and limit the maximum time you can spend in a dungeon, and they didn't need both.
>>
>>31112027
Hunger or an equivalent is a core mechanic of rougelikes. The problem with mystery dungeon's Hunger is that it is too casualized. In many rougelikes, strategic starvation is a key to survival. Many have special abilities that consume hunger, while others lower your attack power when you are low or at zero. Still others gave certain abilities or skills gated behind hunger threshholde, whether above or below a certain amount. It makes you really have to decide how and when you are going to use your food items. Most rougelikes just have this inherently. The disconnect between PMD's hunger and anything else but HP is why it feels strange. There is nothing to manage, except keeping it high. PMD needs to expand on hunger, and make it a more dynamic resource to manage. The core gameplay of a rougelike basically boils down to resource management. Luck usually plays a factor, but more important than what you find is how you use it. There is no real reason to care whether your belly is at 100, 70, or 5 for the most part.
>>
>>31112666
Linked moves depleted it faster, but those have been gone awhile
>>
>>31080360
>"how do I explain adding the big bad to my team?"
>Implying purifying Primal Dialga and going back later and having a battle in the restored Temporal tower was not the tightest shit
>>
I tried playing and it seems like it's better than trashy GtI but I still can't get over how they got rid of the 2D near-hand-drawn artstyle
>>
>>31113949
I agree, the sprites for PMD were gorgeous. You should still give super a shot, though. It's pretty legit. It's no longer babies first Roguelike, now it's like Trainingwheeled Rougelike for children.
>>
>>31113949
>>31114025
Agree. The sprites were pretty great in their conveyance that it gave the illusion of "oh shit, these monsters actually have feelings and shit and think things like real people do".
>>
>>31111582
lol
>>
>>31113949
The dungeons themselves looked like utter shit though in the DS games
>>
>>31112271
I dunno, winds are pretty vital to balancing level 1 dungeons like Wish Cave. Without them you'd be able to grind to incredibly OP levels with very little to stop you.

>>31117143
Good thing that everything outside of them more than made up for their shittiness, then.
>>
tfw I keep getting Mudkip or Cubone with the quiz for PMD:Red

Which one should I be, guys?
>>
>>31118373
Pick Cubone, make it special. You can't start as them in any of the other games.
>>
>>31118417
Alright. Is Chikorita a good partner?
>>
>>31118337
I can just grind on the two Skarmory floors with linked moves and be perfectly fine for the rest of the dungeon. Kecleon/Wooper/Charizard is far and away the easiest way to do Wish Cave.

>>31118501
Get Bullet Seed for Chikorita ASAP. Multihit moves are OP as shit.
>>
File: 1483036826403.jpg (38KB, 515x479px) Image search: [Google]
1483036826403.jpg
38KB, 515x479px
>>31118501
>good
Why do people really care about this on a first playthrough?
Pick the one that's cute and has a good feel with your partner
Shit, I played through Sky with Eevee as my partner not knowing its ability functionality and dealt with it

On that note, take the mon the quiz gives you
You answered the questions, after all
>>
>>31118501
Nah. Grass-type partners in RT aren't the best idea, considering that there's a gauntlet of bosses that are SE against them. On top of that Chikorita doesn't learn a whole lot of attacking moves.

I don't think you should worry about it though, just pick whoever's cute and roll with it.
>>
>when you do a Sky run with Phanpy+Eevee

Mistakes were made
>>
> haven't played a md since the gba ones
> want to start playing them

Which one should I pick up?
>>
Apparently nds-bootstrap can run BRT decently. If you have a DS card that uses the same save type you could use it to play the game on a modded 3DS without flashcards. I think I'll take a look at how well it runs.
>>
>>31118702
Sky then Super, inarguably in that order
>>
>>31118702
Most people are going to tell you to play Sky and ignore everything else, but that's a dumb meme. Play Blue Rescue Team (the GBA one, Red Rescue Team, is just an inferior version of the same game, only play it if you have no way to play the DS one), then Sky. Time/Darkness are just inferior versions of Sky.

Then, if you want improved gameplay, play Super. Then decide if you want to play Adventure Squad or Gates to Infinity.

Instead, if you care more about the plot, play Gates to Infinity and then Super. You probably won't care at all about Adventure Squad in this case.
>>
>>31088827
Black white just had its gens pokes for the main game, post game had all the pokemon. Gates doesnt do that and feels like it was rushed
>>
>>31086643
>>31088827
>>31118788
That's wrong, they probably didn't even have time to add all of the Pokémon. In fact, it doesn't even have all of the gen5 ones. They probably just needed to release a gen5 pmd so they just did that
>>
File: tight belt.jpg (59KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
tight belt.jpg
59KB, 640x480px
>tfw you get the tight belt
>>
>>31118848
>tfw two tight belts
what do I do with a second one
>>
>>31118702
Play all of them in order, but skip Darkness/time, since sky is a third version of those two.
People say GTI is shit, but the story of all mystery dungeon games make them worth to play and GTI story is really good.

>>31118755
>Then decide if you want to play Adventure Squad
i have never heard about adventure squad, what's that?
>>
>>31079477
everything
>>
>>31079950
>chance bullshit
Explorers was still better than the shit Rescue Team was. I actually enjoyed.
>>
>>31085306
What the fuck is the fetish?
>>
>>31100499
t. I don't know what projecting means
>>
>>31118848
wtf is that camera
>>
>>31119253
WiiWare Japanese exclusive games with Pokemon Ranch level of graphics.

The plot from what I can tell is pretty bare bones, and it's THREE versions. You can link them to one save, to get all Pokemon, though.

Fun fact: It added Arceus (though fairly sure it's event-exclusive and these events are long gone), and few other things like Pokemon Tower (I am not fairly sure what it does, the only place that explains shit on it seems to be Bulbapedo and even it doesn't have all information on WiiWare) or enemy evolution (yes it did that before Gates or Super). In Adventure though, it ignored Reviver Seed. Imagine my face Machop suddenly became Machoke and just ripped my team a new one.

It's also the first game to not have a quiz at all (instead you chose Pokemon, which depend on the version). There are some Pokemon you can start in Adventure Squad you can't in other games (like Mareep or Azurill).
>>
>>31119331
Shitty 3ds camera because my phone cant connect to the pc
>>
File: wii linked with ds.png (387KB, 479x383px) Image search: [Google]
wii linked with ds.png
387KB, 479x383px
>>31119367
>tfw your favorite pokemon were starters on wiiware only

Also, you could connect your DS to the wii to use as a controller. Not like it helps much, considering the game is unreadable
>>
>>31119395
>this picture
People still trying to translate the "moon runes"?
>>
>>31119503
I highly doubt we'll ever get an English translation of it
>>
>>31119395
>tfw no Wii
How difficult would it be to emulate AS? Just curious.
>>
>>31119756
You'd need Dolphin, and finding the roms is absolute hell on earth, literally nowhere has them except me

My comp is iffy, so i dont emulate the wii or GC, i just use a modded Wii
>>
>>31119367
Oh yeah!, i forgot about that, though who wouldn't, since like you said it never got translated, would still play it just to see how was it.
Wasn't that like the first Pokemon Mystery dungeon in the series?, if so this series is not as old as i remember... sad they haven't done any new crazy spinoff since
>>
>>31119992
It came after Sky
>>
>>31120008
Wtf?, then how come they didn't translate the game to other languages?, did it do that bad?
>>
>>31120285
I imagine it did pretty bad. As far as i can tell, there's no story, and all 3 games put together equals about as much content as a normal game, but it was just a bad idea all around.

At least it makes me not feel bad for cheating in my favorites to use as starters in other PMD's, since both of them were starters in AS
>>
File: pokemon mystery framerates.png (600KB, 656x518px) Image search: [Google]
pokemon mystery framerates.png
600KB, 656x518px
>>31119782
Huh, getting it to start was easier than I thought.

Getting it to run smoothly's gonna be a whole 'nother problem though.
>>
File: Arceus_After.png (204KB, 309x466px) Image search: [Google]
Arceus_After.png
204KB, 309x466px
>Blue rescue team was my first NDS game
>I got Charmander at the quiz, chose Squirtle as partner
>tfw I cried when I had to leave the village
>got stuck at Articuno for a long time
>got stuck at Groudon for a good while
>Fug killed me many, MANY times
>Eventually get to Buried Relic
>Realize it's a 99F dungeon
>Die at floor 70 something
>Quit

It took me many years to come back and continue the game, I was really young and that dungeon was too much for me.
/blog
>>
Yep, all the tweaking in the world can't get AS to run without turning into vaporwave. I guess it was over before it ever started.
>>
>>31121419
If you have a Wii you could always just mod that. Hacking that thing is so simple a child could do it
>>
>>31119367
It puts two of your Pokémon on top of each other and allow you to move and attack at the same time in the same turn.
>>
>>31121494

>>31119756
>>tfw no Wii

It's alright, I still have Sky and Gates to play. AS can wait for a little while longer.
>>
>>31121558
*two or more
And enemies can do it too.
>>
>>31118686
>not being a lonely cubone who wants to defend Chikorita's beautiful smile because thats all you have
>>
>>31118652
I got Cubone in my first Blue run, now that I'm replaying the game in Red, I still got Cubone first.

So I'm going to be Cubone.
>>
>>31122594
enjoy your Powder Snow
>>
File: 1455161830718.png (206KB, 500x531px) Image search: [Google]
1455161830718.png
206KB, 500x531px
I miss /pmdg/
>>
So was there ever a strategey that went beyond "Spam your strongest moves and hold a shit ton of reviver seeds"? Because it always seemed kind of weird that there wasn't really... much that could be done period?
>>
>>31123088
Keep an eye out after this thread's over

>>31123103
Depends on the game
>>
>>31123103
Wands, orbs, and projectiles are usually very handy to keep around, especially in Super where it's better to just avoid fights.

>>31123088
Don't we all
>>
>>31123454
I honestly hate the wands, they're just orbs but take up more bag space
>>
File: 1474233701312.png (147KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1474233701312.png
147KB, 1024x768px
Hey MC-kun, let's go adventuring together!
>>
>>31124758
Dammit, that pic made me tear up a bit. The ending to SMD was heartwrenching, and it just so happened that my partner was Fennekin.

Now I'm imagining the MC dreaming about that pic while the partner's gone, and waking up crying.
>>
File: 1469044599031.gif (699KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1469044599031.gif
699KB, 500x281px
>>31124704
>Take more bag space
>Can hold 99 wands in one slot, or one orb
>>
File: (you).jpg (34KB, 456x500px) Image search: [Google]
(you).jpg
34KB, 456x500px
>>31124895
thanks for the dotlines nerd
>>
>>31123454
>where it's better to just avoid fights.
This is sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy in that the more you avoid fights the lower your levels will be and so the more enemies you'll have to avoid. Though it's useful advice for fucking Sacred Ruins
>>
>>31125097
>The more you avoid fights the lower your levels will be and so the more enemies you'll have to avoid.
Honestly, in super, for me levels never played any major role while playing, i only avoided other pokemon when i knew they had multi-hit moves or status conditions, i even actually did high level dungeons that were 15 levels above me and just picked my fights carefully and always spamming team attacks and wands.

>>31124704
>I honestly hate the wands, they're just orbs but take up more bag space
They were great!, the fact that you could get so many and that they stack was so useful, specially when you were in fights that you knew you were getting your shit kick in, stayaway and sleep wands saved my ass so many times
>>
>>31125693
I never really found a use for the wands, I like how the orbs affect the whole room instead of like a single pokemon 2bqh
>>
>>31127442
wands are useful for reliability and they're more plentiful than orbs
>>
>>31127442
Wands are great for warping away/disabling that one Pokemon that you just don't want to waste PP on.
>>
File: unburden.png (364KB, 280x330px) Image search: [Google]
unburden.png
364KB, 280x330px
Is there a pokémon that could even possibly EVEN TOUCH Drifblim? Let alone defeat him? And I’m not talking about Aftermath Drifblim. I’m not talking item holding Drifblim either. Hell, I’m not even talking about Ominous Wind Drifblim. I'm not even talking about Drifblim at max stats. I'm talking about PMD Drifblim with the Minimize buffs and Unburden (with no held item and being capable of both Gust and Shadow Ball), at quadruple speed from Unburden Ominous Wind, equipped with his Breeze Scarf, a Draft Ring, control of the IQ Skills and Quick Striker for a quad hitting normal attack, with stat drinks and Life Seeds implanted in him so he has 999 HP and 255 in all stats and can perform Ominous Wind spam while being an expert in shrinking and evading attacks, while also having an immunity to Electric and Ghost attacks from the Sky and Nether Globes, and also being permanently at double speed due to the Sky Gem, and having every beneficial swap item in the Treasure Bag for a grand stat total of 275 Attack, 269 Defense, 295 Special Attack, and 281 Special Defense, after using Ominous Wind enough to hit +10 to Attack, Defense, Special Attack, and Special Defense.
>>
>>31129528
i love this pasta
>>
>>31124758
>>31124866
>The ending to SMD was heartwrenching
>[triumphant music playing]
The ending was fucked up by the Mew ass pull and the inappropriate ending music.
I hate to stimulate my genitals over Explorers, but I liked Explorer's ending for at least holding off the triumphant credits music a little longer. Not to mention the the tear-jerking song when you disappear.
>>
File: 100% drifblim.jpg (428KB, 2028x1592px) Image search: [Google]
100% drifblim.jpg
428KB, 2028x1592px
>>31129545
"Let me ask you a question.
Do you like awesome things that are awesome?
Then you gotta play this game, dude. It's freaking cool. And crazy addictive. Like, popping bubble wrap addictive! Check this out.
See, that's your Drifblim. Then you've got moves: there's Minimize, Gust, Astonish, Stockpile, Ominous Wind. There's probably a move that makes you Oren Berries! I don't know!
But I saved the best for last. Unburden!
You use a move twice in a turn with a single PP! Stuff that will make the bad guys cry like a guildmaster without perfect apples.
So, what do you think? You ready to play?"
>>
>>31129621
Ugh. Even if it's ironic I still can't stand MN9.
>>
>>31129826
Megaman nX 9
>>
>>31103477
Rescue team let you evolve during the story, didn't it?
>>
>>31079477
It's not named "Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky"
>>
>>31135042
No.
>>
>>31129560
Literally just a ripoff of blue rescue teams ending
>>
Awful pacing, weakest story in the series except maybe for the barely even there Rescue Team, no random missions from the Bulletin Board, can't nickname allies, can't use Pokemon you want when you want, can't recruit wild Pokemon which is what leads to the prior problem.
>>
File: Betrayal.png (671KB, 867x657px) Image search: [Google]
Betrayal.png
671KB, 867x657px
This twist tho
>>
>>31136416
>lost my shit when it happened
>later find out that their motive was nothing and it was all just MINDHACC
That went from 0 to 100 to 0 real quick
>>
File: 1468673336510.jpg (21KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1468673336510.jpg
21KB, 480x480px
>>31136416
And so have I.
>>
I thought being a human turned into a Pokémon was a way to justify tutorials on how to be a Pokémon, but then you're also going to Pokémon school on top of that??
>>
>>31138563
only a few parts of the school are tutorials
>>
>>31136715
Mindhax is such a cop-out. What would you make the motive be assuming the overall plot was the same?
>>
>>31102228
I want a Ledian and Ribombee to be the better team out there
>>
>>31138563
That is because everyone thinks you are an pokemon kid.
>>
>>31138656
I'm not entirely sure myself, but if there's any good place to start it'd be something about his exploring days. Maybe he discovered something during one of his explorations (like remnants of the last battle against DM or a corrupting fragment of DM itself) that made him go mad.
>>
>>31139837
I don't know why we are bothering using spoilers since shit has probably been spoiled in this thread anyways. Let's see if I can prevent this from being too fanficy.
How I would've changed Dark Matter is that Dark Matter arises from dissatisfaction, whether it be hunger, anger, ambition, etc. These emotions are not inherently bad, but those emotions were somehow removed or suppressed from individuals because they would always lead to conflict. Dark Matter just wants to reunite with the world, but has been rejected because someone thought that it was problematic. Dark Matter manifests itself into those with these strong "problematic" emotions.
I would write Nuzleaf as being a native to Serene Village, but he hates having a boring life and ends up wanting to become an explorer. While he does like the folks in his village, he prioritized his dreams over his friends, who implored him to stay because the town at the time was experiencing hardship. His downfall was his ambition and recklessness, and he made an action which made him feel like he was at the point-of-no-return, which Dark Matter then officially corrupted him. Nuzleaf would then make a surprising return to the village, much to their joy. He didn't return because of a desire to see old friends. He returned to await his target, the protagonist.
>>
>>31140016
I'd remove the whole negativity aspect entirely from Dark Matter.

Not only was it already done in Gates with the Bittercold, but unlike Gates, negativity wasn't a theme at all with Super's character's and story. If such themes like you mentioned were the central themes of the story, I'd be fine with it. Otherwise, might as well just have Dark Matter be a Lavos knock off and try to wring as much cosmic horror out of it as you can.
>>
>>31079477
the pacing was fucking terrible. in red/blue you could dick around forever even while the earth was shaking and meteors were falling. you can't do that here. its just a certain number of days then "oh shit, plot has to move foreward, with no player input or agency at all". its fucking stupid. it ruined the whole game for me.
>>
>>31079523
The eyes on haunter never fail to make me feel sick. They look like little black spider eggs
>>
>>31140157
Which is why I would add in examples in-story to show that things are kinda unstable outside of civilization. I would have the story be rewritten to be a theme on inner demons instead of "bad dark blob makes everyone act like a dick".
Super was just written badly and Dark Matter was a hijacker out-of-nowhere. If they wanted to recycle Bittercold, they better make it better, or at least some sort of side-grade.

I want the next PMD game to have well-intended antagonists who have extreme means to their ends. My example would be to have examples in the story where outlaws are menaces to society, and you even have one as your nemesis. The crime increase could be the result of famine, a "gold rush" (could be any valuable resource), or a bust has occurred in the boom. Because of this crime increase, there have been organizations that have expanded to help fight crime, salvage, rescue, forage, etc. The antagonist decides that in order for peace to occur, free will must be eliminated for everyone (except a single benevolent figure). The antagonist's hate for free will was also fostered by the wanton hedonism (s)he experienced (gotta keep it G-rated, though).
The next MD game could also have it so that the reason the protagonist is here is because the antagonist wants to use him/her. It's like Nuzleaf, but the antagonist doesn't necessarily have to be with you from the start. The antagonist could've made a botched summon.
>>
File: 1482951302951.jpg (20KB, 539x487px) Image search: [Google]
1482951302951.jpg
20KB, 539x487px
>>31079477
>>
Just started playing. I love putting my partner down and making Nuzleaf grovel at my feet.
I live for these negative responses.
>>
File: Angry totodile SPMD.png (107KB, 249x246px) Image search: [Google]
Angry totodile SPMD.png
107KB, 249x246px
>>31140879
>Bullying the Partner
>>
File: what is wrong with you.png (103KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
what is wrong with you.png
103KB, 256x256px
>>31140879
>>
>>31140879
You fucking monster
>>
>>31079477
The game just feels so slow and bogged down. The way partners are treated isn't as good as it used to be, the 3D graphics aren't as good as the pixel graphics in my opinion, and overall it just feels kinda soulless. There's not really any motivation to keep playing.
>>
>>31144491
>The way partners are treated isn't as good as it used to be

How's that? Stuff like better AI and ranged moves passing through teammates makes them way more useful. In RT and Explorers any Pokemon apart from you and your partner were only liabilities that were never in position to fight and only used up reviver seeds
>>
>>31118687
>no-STAB phanpy in a game where STAB > SE hits
>Run Away Eevee partner

I don't think it's possible to get a worse combination in any PMD game.
>>
>>31145425
Phanpy gets STAB, barely. Reviver/Reviser Seed Natural Gift, or EQ. Problem is EQ kills Eevee, or does enough damage to basically kill Eevee

In contrast, when i did my Wooper/Mareep custom starter run, the polar opposite happens. EQ heals Mareep if you have the Sacred Scarf
>>
>>31141638
>not bullying the partner
They're annoyingly obnoxious and selfish at the start, so I didn't feel the least bit bad for doing it
>>
File: Angry Totodile.jpg (114KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Angry Totodile.jpg
114KB, 1280x720px
>>31147184
That is unforgivable! The partner is precious and it must be protected!
>>
>>31119532
Wait what am i missing out on? Moon runes? Woah please explain,shit like those really intrigue me
>>
>>31147184
>obnoxious and selfish at the start
The starter gets better?
I'll probably still bully though
>>
>>31148651
tl;dr adventure squad is in japanese and only japanese. It's not very story heavy though, so if you had only a menu translation it'd be good enough
>>
>>31148719
Dude, if i were you just stop browsing this thread until you finish the games, or atleast be very careful. How have you not already been spoiled?

Either way, enjoy this first time experience, it really is a ride
>>
>>31148729
Oh, shit. I thought this was something in the main PMD games that hasn't been translated/found out yet. That'd be damn awesome but oh well.
>>
>>31148765
>How have you not already been spoiled?
I was spoiled about the final boss and reveal many months back.
However, I really am enjoying it so far. Last Mystery dungeon I played was explorers of sky, and I still haven't beat primal dialga.
Though are using warp wands cheating myself out of good exp?
>>
>>31148809
You haven't beaten primal dialga?
You need to do that first desu.
& not really,wands are fine, dont overuse them & fight as much as possible
>>
>>31148719
They do, but the character development's not made as blatantly obvious as Explorers', for better and for worse.
>>
>>31148719
The partners are wimps!!!!!!
>>
>>31085238
Missigno's the person's fursona.
They draw the eyes as dots.
>>
Happy new year, pmdg friends!
>>
>>31150774
Happy new years!
>>
>>31150774
Y-You too

I hope 2017 will be a good year for PMD and /pmdg/ alike
>>
>>31102365
If I remember correctly, the mega absol is the ring leader of whatever weird deviantart group that image is supposed to represent.
>>
>>31150774
Happy hour and 25 minutes past new years.
>>
>>31080075
This. My Pokemon were level 12 and they gave me a level 55 Salamence. I literally quit the game because of that.
>>
Your mom
>>
>>31151594
>Quitting a game you've already invested several hours in just because there was an organic easy mode
>>
>>31151594
>This. My Pokemon were level 12 and they gave me a level 55 Salamence. I literally quit the game because of that.
You're dumb, it really makes no big difference, if you play dumb you can still get someone killed, and if you were smarter you would take the chance to challenge yourself by questing at a super hard dungeon at the desert continent when you get to unlock it, also it's optional whether you use it or not, and even then after using it once it will probably be unavailable for a while.
>>
Protag/Partner/New love triangle hijinks when
>>
>>31151952
*Mew
>>
>>31151952
>Protag/Partner/New love triangle hijinks when
Never ever
specially because that would force you to have partner of the other gender just because, and if you don't like romance and just want to play the game to see cool pokemon, this would be a huge turn off.
I would still love it if they made dialog differences if you're playing with you and your partner with different genders, like they did with XY and SM with Shauna and Lillie
>>
File: 58.png (295KB, 763x647px) Image search: [Google]
58.png
295KB, 763x647px
>>31152194
>if you don't like romance and just want to play the game to see cool pokemon, this would be a huge turn off

This. I already hate the minimal shit they put in the main games an harbor the fear that Lillie's positive fan reception will tip the series into going full Waifu Emblem, I don't want it in PMD.
>>
File: 50843289_p0.jpg (114KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
50843289_p0.jpg
114KB, 640x480px
>Espurr from Serene Village will never grow up to be a seductress Meowstic
>>
>>31152259
Doesn't this count as bestiality and pedophilia at the same time in Super?
>>
>>31155532
It's not bestiality if you're both Pokemon, and it's not pedophilia if you're both grade school kids
>>
>>31151594
I agree that that Salamence mission was retarded but no way was I quiting after paying money for this and waiting for a while for a Mystery Dungeon game that allows me to play as all 700 or so Pokemon. Gates of Infinity was a massive disappointment. Like how the fuck do you fuck up that badly?
>>
>>31152259
Meowstic: Why did I have kids again?
>>
>>31079477
For me, it's the fact I can't bring myself to play it because I'm no longer talking to the person I've always named my Partner after in all the other Mystery Dungeons.
>>
>>31156019
>Gates of Infinity was a massive disappointment. Like how the fuck do you fuck up that badly?
It wasn't so bad, unless you hate gen V
>>
>>31152259
everything involving lillie was trash so I hope the next set of games aren't along those same lines
>>
>>31156203
>Only 144 recruitable Pokemon

You've got to be shitting me. That alone makes me not want to buy it.
>>
>>31156203
>implying anon can't love B/W and B2/W2 and dislike the gimped-down GtI at the same time
>>
>>31156920
I dont like gen 5 but gti at least had good characters to carry the story
>>
>>31156933
I'd go as far as to say that GTI had the only good story in any pokemon game. Explorer's characters weren't good enough for me to get me to actually care about the story and Super was a poorly paced clusterfuck.
>>
>>31156958
explorers was pretty forgettable to me, even rescuers left a bigger impression though that might be because it was the first pmd game I played. gti has good characters and actual development for each of them while not rehashing a villain like super did
>>
>>31157079
The worst thing about Super's rehashed villain is that it didn't even make sense in terms of the story. People were miserable gits in Gates (or we were told anyway, they could have shown it a bit better), so having a negativity entity made sense. Nothing like that in Super.
>>
>>31156916
Does it really matters in a game where there's no player vs player, you have a team of 4 and you're locked with 2 of them almost the entire main story?

>>31156958
I play PMD mostly for the story, and GTI has for me the best story of all them, i specially loved the cutscenes and how it made it feel like a 3D pokemon movie.
>>
The school setting was my favorite part about Super and I wouldn't have minded if it lasted the whole game
>>
>>31157079
In rescue, I thought it was pretty cool that they made you fugitives, but I didn't understand why anyone would trust Gengar. I would've went ad hominem on him and compared my reputation to his. Maybe I'm missing something.

Explorers had that betrayal, but they gave it away with Dusknoir's smirk. Team Skull didn't even try to hide their shadiness, although I imagine there would be no point after you btfo Koffing and Zubat. The dark future appropriately sucked ass (for the characters, not the players), although it would be interesting to delve into the implications of the shit future. I also appreciated the game having a post-story.

Super's Dark Matter concept was wasted. It should've been shelved and instead just made it about Yvetal being a dick trying to cull the population to a size it sees as more stable.

What would be the minimal fixes to make GtI great? Could they be done? I would like to play it, but I can't stand slogging through things that shouldn't be slow, especially when they are insultingly easy.
>>
File: AQgxv7.jpg (144KB, 600x548px) Image search: [Google]
AQgxv7.jpg
144KB, 600x548px
Bring the possibility to save the future and figth again primal dialga with your allies and a new reformed dusknoir was a goat moment of the special episodes

it's a shame super only had those youtube videos
>>
>>31157405
Honestly i really liked the idea too, it was more of an adventure rather than a job, and it would have been so cool to see one of your friends or even yourself evolve in the middle of a seemingly lost battle due to the desire to protect your friends.

>>31157438
>What would be the minimal fixes to make GtI great? Could they be done?

>Fix the text speed
>Have the regular roster for MC/partner or at least be able to evolve MC/partner
>have post game dungeons with story
>Have some post game
>remove some useless buildings
>Make it so you can get high level materials early
>make an orb or scarf that nullifies the effect of V-Wave, so you don't have to be running like a bitch whenever the type that is strong to you is on V-wave
>make it easier to get gold
>have the board have dungeon with mysteriosity available during the main story
>>
>>31157627
>Expedition society is removed entirely
>Rest of the game involves going on an adventure with the school kids

I'd be down for that
>>
>>31157715
that's basically GtI's plot
>>
>>31157587
>super only had those youtube videos

What Youtube videos? Did it get an anime adaption like Rescue Team/Explorers did? I know GtI only got a five-minute animated commercial.
>>
>>31157325
Yes because unlike you (apparently) I have many Pokemon that I like and many that I would like to give a try and come to like more than I do in the main games.

>almost the entire main story

Wow man, I had no idea that there was no such thing as a post game anymore or that once the main story is over I should just turn the game off and act like it doesn't exist anymore.
>>
>>31157715
I hope that we get a MD game that doesn't try to up the stakes, but I wouldn't count on it. I think it would be interesting if you were just hanging around, going on adventures, dealing with the occasional menace that threatens your town or region, and maybe save the region from disaster as the rest of the world is actually fine. No "end of the world" threat. No BBEG that is insane. No non-Pokemon antagonist.

>>31157627
What about being able to do more than one mission per day? Or at least make the rewards bigger to make up for this asinine restriction.
>>
>>31158052
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YdV0nKdhbg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqRyCgvpq3k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfrA3X_Qcwg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFqh8fKkLNw
>>
Should we make a new thread?
>>
>>31159201
>>
>>31159215
You suck at making threads, you didn't even give it name.
Here i made one >>31159339
i don't know how to link to other threads so if someone can link this thread to the new one
>>
>>31158271
>No "end of the world" threat. No BBEG that is insane.
In that case, there would need to be more drama between you, the partner, and maybe others.
>>
>>31158104
>I had no idea that there was no such thing as a post game anymore
well that's exactly the case in gti
Thread posts: 320
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.