[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people call him Sun instead of Elio, but don't use

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 10

File: sun.jpg (95KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
sun.jpg
95KB, 1024x1024px
Why do people call him Sun instead of Elio, but don't use the version title names for any other protag bar Red?
>>
>>31071458
Sun is his primary name, Elio is a mostly unused secondary, like those extra options you used to get in the earlier games when picking a name.
>>
>>31071632
The Japanese use the Japanese equivalent to Elio (Yoh) instead of "Sun" though.

They do the same for Selene (or Mizuki to them)
>>
>>31071458
It's almost like some protags have canon names
>>
>>31071769
As far as I've seen they use サン, which is Sun. I know they use Elio too, but they list it primarily as Sun.
>>
File: menu.jpg (33KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
menu.jpg
33KB, 460x276px
>>31071769
Same guy as >>31071820 here's an example I quickly found from pre-release screenshots.
>>
His name in Sun in the demo.
>>
File: 1414105557606.jpg (23KB, 414x425px) Image search: [Google]
1414105557606.jpg
23KB, 414x425px
>>31071812
>caring about canon in post-ORAS Pokemon game
>>
>>31071887
And Brendan's name was Orlando in the ORAS demo.
>>
>>31071904
Brendan already had an established name though. Elio doesn't show up anywhere established, and Sun is used all over the place.
>>
>>31071904
Why the hell was that exactly?
It's not like it was a surprise that his name is Brendan or something.
>>
>>31071904
That's because in ORAS the child of Norman is Orlando/Anna. The child of Birch is Brendan/May. It's the same way with every game where the alt gender character is in game
>>
>>31071820
>>31071876
I was talking fandom-wise, like amongst the Japanese playerbase.

http://www.pixiv.net/search.php?s_mode=s_tag_full&word=サン(トレーナー)

http://www.pixiv.net/search.php?s_mode=s_tag_full&word=ヨウ(トレーナー)

A quick pixiv overview, "Sun" is the first link, "Yoh"/Elio is the second. Yoh is the overwhelmingly preferred name for them. Maybe they just don't like Sun.
>>
>>31071896
Names don't change post mega-verse you idiot. The only things that changes is plot and event but no names are changed.
>>
File: 2016 - 1.jpg (25KB, 253x253px) Image search: [Google]
2016 - 1.jpg
25KB, 253x253px
>>31071949
>Considering fanbase opinion more valid than what the developers say.

We're done here.
>>
>>31072010
But the developers didn't say anything.......?

Read my lips: They literally do not have names. They are nameless characters. They don't have names in the sense that past protagonists had names.

They're like ""Leaf"", they're nameless, and the monikers they *are* referred to are the ones that the fans are most comfortable with. "Leaf" was popularized by Bulbapedo, therefore everyone calls the girl from FRLG "Leaf", but officially, she has no name, this the same case with both SM protagonists.

My post was literally telling you the name the Japanese playerbase was most comfortable with using for the male SM protagonist, get off your high horse.
>>
>>31071458
Iirc most people call silver and gold by..silver and gold
>>
>>31072048
>>31072048
Are you retarded? The player is called Sun in the demo and all other pre-release media like Screenshots and videos. And if you give any credit to the manga that the creator of Pokemon endorses, he's called Sun there too. I don't give a flying shit what some Japanese fans "prefer" when it goes against what the developers and creator of Pokemon "prefers."
>>
File: I7OyZ94.png (200KB, 400x775px) Image search: [Google]
I7OyZ94.png
200KB, 400x775px
>>31072143
No? Why are you getting so hostile? For one, the manga is a different continuity altogether, why are you even bringing it up? That would be like using the anime as an example. And that quote from the "creator of Pokemon" you're referencing is over twenty years old and way back fucking when the manga was underdeveloped and in its RBY days (ergo the manga at that time was more faithful to the game and without its own distinct identity). He doesn't "endorse" shit and I'm sure as fuck he gives zero shits about what the fuccboi protagonists of the Pokemon games he doesn't even direct are referred to as. He's not crying over spilled milk, dude.

As for demo and pre-release names, nobody ever took those as the official ones, because the final release would usually supplant those with the actual names. Blair became Hilbert, Whitlea became Hilda, Xavier to Calem, Yvonne to Serena, Orlando to Brendan, Anna to May, and so on. Nobody calls Hilbert "Blair" these days.

"Sun" has a demo name, but no official name. Therefore, since he has no official name in the final game, people resort to calling him what they want using the pool of other names he's amassed thus far, which include, wait for it: his various pre-release names and also names that were recently found in the games' internal data.

You can call him Sun if you want, no skin off my back hombre, but you can't say that's his real name when the fact that so many people are confused as to what to fucking call him to begin with would suggest otherwise. Come on buddy, this thread wouldn't even fucking exist in the first place if he had an official name, because then there'd be no fucking issue.
>>
>>31071896
>N-nothing is canon anymore guys!

Names don't fucking change you idiot
>>
>>31072566
Everything and nothing is canon in the multiverse my friend.
>>
>>31071458
If you're complaining about people using real names for all the protagonists for Red and Blue, Jack and John would just sound weird. Besides, they're referenced as Red and Blue in the games so it's canon anyways.
>>
>>31072583
It's fucking names though? Why would names change across the multiverse?

Events that we've seen are canon and not canon at the same time; I can agree to that. Names however have no reason to change. Red is still Red, and we're in a different universe than RBGY for sure.
>>
>>31071458
He's not a real protag like Gen 4>
Red, Gold, Brendan, Boy
Those were real protags. Gen 5< were "us" thanks to customization

Fuck "us"
>>
File: Pokemon_Special_SM_c001_014.png (396KB, 750x1100px) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon_Special_SM_c001_014.png
396KB, 750x1100px
>>31071458
>>31071632
>>31071769
>>31071812
>>31071820
>>
File: Pokemon_Special_SM_c002_009.png (1MB, 1336x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon_Special_SM_c002_009.png
1MB, 1336x2000px
>>31074059
>>
>>31074079

Not like this impacts how you perceive the character's name, but the characters that have a role in active serialization that will probably span 6-9 volumes has their names as "Sun" and "Moon."
>>
>>31074059
>>31074079
Then I guess we should start calling Dawn "Platina" and Rosa "Whi-two".
>>
>>31074109

Platinum*
Platina is a fan-made name.

Still, the only names given in any canon as of late is "Sun" from the demo, "Sun" in the manga, and "Moon" in the manga. Elio and Selene be damned.
>>
File: 1482389967789.jpg (34KB, 483x463px) Image search: [Google]
1482389967789.jpg
34KB, 483x463px
>>31074162
>m-muh demo is canon

If that is the case, then Brendan got changed to Orlando in ORAS
>>
>>31074162
>this placeholder name is better than this other placeholder name because I like it better!
Ok buddy
>>
File: dusclopskun.png (47KB, 217x190px) Image search: [Google]
dusclopskun.png
47KB, 217x190px
>>31072356
This.
>>
>>31071930
English prerelease material has changed the names from just "version name" to "random real name that sounds roughly like the version name" since gen 5 for some reason.

Hilbert and Hilda were "Black" and "White" in Japanese prerelease stuff and "Blair" and "Whitlea" in English prerelease stuff.
Likewise, "X" and "Y" became "Xavier" and "Yvonne" in XY and "Omega" and "Alpha" became "Orlando" and "Anna" in ORAS.

I assume the point is to make it more realistic, but it just created confusion instead.
>>
>>31071632
Source: Your ass

They have no names.
>>
>>31071458
I'm still fucking mad that Gold's real name is Ethan
>>
>>31072356
"Sun" is in the demo. Elio is nowhere. Sun is a more relevant name than Elio.
Japanese fanbase uses You because it's a word from Japanese, which they would prefer over Sun, an English name.
>>
>>31075505
>Elio is nowhere.
>>
>>31074109
>>31074162
"Platina" is actually "Platinum" in Japanese
>>
>>31071458
Red got his name from one of the versions it debuted, same for Gold/Ethan until HGSS were released. Also, in the pre-release, the MC are often called by one of the versions like Red and Gold/Ethan: Hilbert was called Black, Rosa was called either White2 or Leila-chan, and Calem and Serena were called Xavier and Yvonne.
>>
>>31075518
Right beside him is Sun, in his default design. Your point?
>>
>>31075578
But the one named Moon isn't the default female design, now, is it?
The one named Selene is.
Checkmate.
>>
>>31075578
>in his default design
What the hell? You're trying to use THAT as an argument for why his "canon" name is Sun?

Both Sun/Elio and Moon/Selene are their placeholder names, one is as "canon" and valid as the other. Claiming Sun is the placeholder name that should be used just because he appears in his default clothes in a trailer is fucking stupid.

You're as autistic as the people who try to push Leaf/Green/Blue as the "canon" name of the FRLG girl, when in fact she doesn't have a real name and anything is valid.
>>
>>31075578
Nice try, but that doesn't change the fact that you claim that "Elio is nowhere" was wrong.
>>
>>31075620
I mean, I don't see a better argument to use Elio. Sun is the name always associated with that design. Elio, never.

>one is as "canon"
No one is talking about the "canon" name here.
>>
Elio and Selene are better by the virtue of sounding more like actual names desu
>>
>>31075614
Neither is Selene? I see your point, but it is irrelevant to what I was talking about.

>>31075637
Elio was only used when they MUST use another name. The other boy had to be named something, to demonstrate Battle Royal. You're right in that I was incorrect in saying it is used "nowhere", but it still doesn't have as much backing it up as Sun.
>>
>>31075687
>I don't see a better argument to use Elio
Sure, but people still can and will refer to him as Elio, whether you agree with it or not. They don't need an argument to convince you (especially if it's something as stupid as "that's his name in the manga!").

There's no reason for you to act like the placeholder name YOU prefer is the superior one and everyone who uses the other name is wrong. Both names are valid.
>>
>>31075446
But it isn't. Ethan is the name of the boy with the Marill. Gold is the name of the boy on the adventure. That's how I always interpreted it, anyway.
>>
>>31075765
>people still can and will refer to him as Elio
The question of the thread was "Why don't people refer to him as Elio", not which name should be used.

>the placeholder name YOU prefer is the superior one
No one is talking about superiority.

>Both names are valid
Yes? I don't disagree.
I just pointed out that Sun is more valid, because it's been used as a placeholder more often. Thus, most people use it.
>>
>>31075790
>most people use it
Not really.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.