[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just a friendly reminder that the Greek man that Sophocles is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_3754.jpg (7KB, 142x113px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3754.jpg
7KB, 142x113px
Just a friendly reminder that the Greek man that Sophocles is named after is not a scientist, but rather the tragedian that wrote the play Oedipus the King.
The one about the guy that kills his dad and fucks his mom without knowing and blinds himself and everyone shames him forever. Which became the name of a Freudian complex about really wanting to fuck your mom. Which is weird since Oedipus didn't know it was his mother and was ashamed when he finds out. But whatever. Point is Sophocles is named after the guy that wrote the play about fucking your mom.

Just something to keep in mind.

Also tripfags and avatarfags are gay and suck niggerjewdicks.
>>
Sophocles.
Mom-fucking.
Just a little something to ponder about.
>>
This sounds like something Salvia would post
>>
>>31051932
>Oedipus is the only (trilogy) of Sophocles' plays that normies would know about
>Expecting us to take "Normie Theories" seriously
>>
huh, I just realized that he's not named after a plant.
>>
File: 1467295549360.jpg (118KB, 527x367px) Image search: [Google]
1467295549360.jpg
118KB, 527x367px
Funny about that, because in Spanish, he's named Chris.
>>
>>31052430
Nope. Not "Salvia". Not a tripfag, or a namefag, or whatever the fuck whoever you're referring to is. Just an anon. Talking about plays about having sex with your own mother.

>>31052476
Normies don't know jack shit
Normies barely know what an Oedipus complex is
They barely even consider what incest is
And if they do know about Oedipus Rex they wouldn't know about the trilogy or who even fucking created it
They might know Freud because they had watched Phineas and Ferb a few years ago and then googled him, but that's a stretch

And I am fully aware that Freud was a hack but I have no idea what would cage him to be considered a normie
I'd say he's quite far from it
>>
>>31051932
The weirdest thing is that his name is a corruption of the name of a plant, which is where the "Cles" part that became Chris or such in other translations is from. This was an intentional one.
>>
File: 1482620695278.jpg (16KB, 240x255px) Image search: [Google]
1482620695278.jpg
16KB, 240x255px
>>31052559
>actually took the time to fact check this
>it's fucking real
end my life
>>
>>31052562
Learned about Oedipus Rex in world history class and psychology is a super normie class for people to take, especially girls. So definitely wouldn't say any of that are things normies wouldn't know.
>>
File: 1477455771794.jpg (26KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1477455771794.jpg
26KB, 480x360px
>>31052562
>normies don't know who Freud is

What the fug am I reading
>>
Friendly reminder that Sophocles is also named after the Hawaiian endemic plant known as sophora chrysophylla or mamane. Hence his name over multiple languages. The tree is most well known from the highland forest on the mountain Hokulani is based on. It's one of the last trees growing at that altitude, but it's very squat. Much like Sophocles. The tree has bright yellow flowers, and it's name contains the world for paralysis in Hawaiian. The reason being, is that it is sometimes found surrounded by dead birds. The plant is extremely poisonous, and only certain caterpillar species and one specially adapted yellow honeycreeper bird can eat the seeds without dying. Goats and cattle as well, but those have been fenced out.
Also something about chrischan
>>
>>31053596
Gamefreak really puts a lot of effort into their deepest lore, huh? Would you happen to know the origins behind the other captains too?
>>
File: Flowers.jpg (3MB, 1450x7928px) Image search: [Google]
Flowers.jpg
3MB, 1450x7928px
>>31053638
I believe sophocles got the deepest, but here's the other ones. The image was from before sun and moon were released. It was neat. we could tell that Ilima was going to be first island before he was even officially revealed. Somebody just saw his name pop up for a second in the Japanese trailer.

Ilima is the official flower of Oahu (Melemele). It has a yellow flower and Melemele means yellow/ is Oahu's island color.
Lana is shortened for floats in calm water. When extended, this translates into water lily. It's one of the few post contact plants well liked enough to get a Hawaiian name instead of loan words.
Kiawe is a tree that is adapted to grow in extremely dry conditions. It can sap the water from the soil away from other plants when stressed. It's a popular charcoal and fire wood. The pods can be used as livestock fodder when ground.
Mallow is the family hibiscus flowers and cotton are in, but only one of her names relates to hibiscus. The rest refer to cotton. She wears cotton overalls and a fake flower in her hair. Plants were sometimes used as a laxative. Could be a joke on poor cooking skills.
Sophocles >>31053596
Acerola is barbados cherry. Surprisingly not much. It's just cultivated in state and can be trimmed into a tiny bonsai.
Mina is Arabian Jasmine. It's used as a lei making flower. It is called pikake in Hawaii because the Hawaiian princess liked both the flower and peacocks.
>>
>>31054167
Nice one anon.
>>
>>31051932
I agree.
Tripfags are cancer. >:/
>>
File: 1481510399519.png (387KB, 920x2645px) Image search: [Google]
1481510399519.png
387KB, 920x2645px
Hala is a tree species that is found across the pacific. He has a bunch of deepest lore along with crabomidable. See the pic. One of his names might have to do with pectoralis muscles because sumo wrestling and whatnot.

Olivia is named after the Olive family in general because she's smart, dark, there are species belonging to the family in Hawaii, and virginIf you don't get it, they're even making fun of her being single in the background lore. Her name actually also refers to olivine. It's one of the most common crystals in Hawaii due to its volcanic origins. She also owns a jewelry store and carbink. Relicanth as well if you feel like calling her old.

Nanu is Gardenia brighamii or one of its congeners. It's a very pretty white gardenia flower that makes a beautiful accent. There is only one tree surviving in the wild. It's congeners are also either extinct or close to it. It's sad. If I were to anthropomorphize it, it'd probably be miserable. The species itself however has been kept alive through captive propagation. I could buy one at Home Depot for maybe $11. If you want to stretch, it's like how bulu, the tapu who deals with plant life, forces Nanu to stick around and do his job.

Hapu is probably Hapuu tree ferns. They are slow growing and brown. They can also either be really stubby or rarely up to 30 feet. They grow extremely slowly though. If I remember correctly, about three cm a year. Live to be ancient. Hapu lives with her grandma and acts ancient.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.