[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How exactly do people objectively rate Pokemon games? They all

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

How exactly do people objectively rate Pokemon games? They all play the same. They all have the same exact gameplay. They all essentially function the same way. Everything else can be seen as subjective - Pokemon design, region design, extraneous features and facilities. Right?

So how do you objectively say one gen is superior to the other? It's not like the gameplay is changing. You're still playing Pokemon.

Genuinely curious, what determines how good a gen is beyond opinion when all games pretty much play the same way?
>>
Stale pasta is stale.
>>
>>30995019
>pasta
>posted a few minutes ago in another thread for the first
nigga this shit is fresh
>>
>>30995091
>10 minutes old on the internet
>fresh
nope.webm
>>
>>30994956
It's all subjective.

Nobody is actually objectively rating them, but rating them based on which ones they think balance thier positives and negatives the best.

Even though they play the same, characters, region, music, story, progression, overworld aesthetics, mechanics, minigames, pokedex, difficulty, and quality of life aspects are all very different and lead to unique experiences
>>
>>30995118
I suppose you can't really replicate those experiences which is why this board gets into so much shitflinging as well
>>
>>30995204
Plus, they are often pretty different and people will prefer some over the others
>>
>>30994956
I judge them by a few things.

To save a wall of text I'll just make a list and your can ask questions/flame me about my list if you feel like it.

Platinum > HG/SS > D/P > FR/LG > B/W = B2/W2 > X/Y > OR/AS > Crystal > G/St > Yellow > R/B > R/S

Now I'm not done of sun and moon yet so I didn't put it on here. But I feel it's the best 3Ds era game so it could fall anywhere between HG/SS to just above or below BW and BW2. Leaning towards above though.
>>
>>30995814
Oh crap I forgot emerald...umm put it above crystal but under omega ruby/alpha sapphire
>>
>>30994956
By the quality of the presented features. Gen 6/7 are very poorly made compared to previous games.
>>
File: 20161222_134740.png (225KB, 499x557px) Image search: [Google]
20161222_134740.png
225KB, 499x557px
I think there's a lot of bias around Pokemon, and review scores tend to be incredibly inflated. I also don't like the 'School Grade' trend in video games. IMO 50=OK, not 70.
I'd rate RBG around a 35 now. They're just unplayable nowadays without mods.
GSC about a 50. They're still really enjoyable despite their age.
RS= Around a 70
EM= 90 just improves every single thing from RS, fantastic everything
DP= 50, literally molasses
Pt: 90, just an incredible game. Good improvements, postgame. Everything youd want in a Pokemon game is present
BW = 85, incredibly solid entrys. Still worth playing for the story despite BW2 being natural improvements to a lot of aspects
BW2= Virtually flawless games in my eyes, probably a 95
XY= Honestly a complete travesty. Wasnt a fan of practically anything in these games, they're already showing their age compared to SM. Probably around a 40
ORAS= In my opinion these games fail at almost every single aspect of a video game. Hated nearly every change, aside from Route 117's Secret Base. Seriously thats it. Poor music, graphics, gameplay, difficulty, everything. I wanted to give them a 30 but I would rather play Gen 1 than these travestys. A 30 is generous, but I'll give it that.
SM= The holy games that saved us from Gen 6, really solid overall. Poor postgame, unfortunately, but everything else was a blast. Definitely around the 80 range right now, but a bit more time should round the score out.

Feel free to flame me, these are some hot opinions but I hope you guys enjoyed reading or something idk
>>
>>30995814
This is almost exactly my opinion.
>>
>>30995814
any particular reason why you have ORAS higher than RS?
>>
File: wtp.png (2MB, 1840x1324px) Image search: [Google]
wtp.png
2MB, 1840x1324px
It comes down to what you want
>>
>>30995868
I forgot FRLG but they're about a 60. Above average games that make traversing the Kanto region passable. I love their modding capability too.
I'd give the Johto remakes a 65 too. I love a lot of changes but the fact that the level scale is so incredibly wack its frustrating to play. I wasnt too fond of the Pokewalker or stadium event thing either. Probably one of my spiciest opinions, since I know a lot of people hold those games really highly.
>>
>>30995887
Well ORAS kinda benefits from features introduced from previous games.
The physical/special Split.
Online features
Megas and added new ones.
Characters are more fleshed out, though some suffer for it.
The fact you can actually trade from older games which the original R/S didn't have.

ORAS only suffers so much because there's no post game and suffers from alot of the same problems the original R/S had. Which is another wall of text for another time.
>>
>>30995868
Your opinions are fine for what you judge games on.
>>
>>30995868
I can respect that, though I think RBGY are still playable if you don't expect much.
>>
>>30994956
Depends on how much water
>>
>>30995942
>frlg
>quality and content

nope
>>
Not everything's the same.

Mechanics are objectively better in, say, FRLG, compared to what they were in RBY. Graphics as well.
>>
A lot of it has to do with quality of life improvements and chronological bias. The only objective measure you can even approach are things like difficulty, story and quality of new pokemon designs/distribution. There are also different faults that are just a natural part of the design process that people may or may not care about.

In terms of overall quality, it's something like this from highest to lowest:
HG/SS
Platinum
Emerald
Crystal
S/M
ORAS
X/Y
B/W2
FR/LG
Yellow
G/S
R/S
R/B
D/P
B/W
>>
>>30996422
>HG/SS highest
>BW lowest

Troll list
>>
>>30994956

It's pretty easy, seeign as gamefreak loves to remove features going on to each generation

If gamefreak were smart and actually kept the features they introuducted in every game it would ideally be VII>VI>V>IV>III>II>I
>>
File: 1478574554617.jpg (9KB, 299x293px) Image search: [Google]
1478574554617.jpg
9KB, 299x293px
>>30995942
>bottom row
>recommending RB instead of Yellow
>>
>>30996422
This must be a shitpost
>>
>>30996422
>B2/W2
>Below X/Y, ORAS, S/M and Crystal

Your opinion is shit.
>>
File: 1468008949111.png (720KB, 1018x856px) Image search: [Google]
1468008949111.png
720KB, 1018x856px
>>30995118
I may as well post my list
>>
>>30995868
>giving ORAS '30' while giving the much inferior original RS '70'

Fuck off, I almost agreed with you too.
>>
>>30996904
I prefer the music, graphics and difficulty of the original immensly.
I also don't feel insulted when I play the originals, unlike the wonderful ""throwbacks"" ORAS includes like the battle frontier shit and delta episode.
>>
>>30996635
>>30996501
>>30996616
He literally said that list was based on QoL improvements, fucking retards.
>>
>>30997268

Except he said that the list is based on overall quality.
>>
>objectively

I want to punch whoever introduced this buzzword to you fucking newfags in the face so bad.
>>
Because there are objective factors behind the structure of the story, game world, and extraneous features and facilities separate from the core mechanics
>>
>>30996635
BW/2 was a literal garbage gen that almost killed the series.

Go tip your fedora somewhere else you contrarian faggot.
>>
File: 1460135710261.jpg (217KB, 957x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1460135710261.jpg
217KB, 957x1300px
I think any list that doesn't have Emerald near the top is wrong. The original Frontier is creamy and soul-destroying in a way Gen 4's just isn't and I hope they'll someday top.
Emerald = HG/SS > Platinum > FRLG > Everything not named > X/Y > B1/W1
Having started with Yellow, a Pokemon game is a toy box and HG/SS objectively have the most for everyone to do and play with. I enjoyed gens 5 and 6 the least but they're still very good. I'm also biased towards gens 3 and 4 because they have console games for proper TV battles.
>>
>>30997572
>(of a person or their judgment) not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts.
>>
>>30997600

You forgot your edited screencaps and biased polls.
>>
>>30998040
>anything that doesn't agree with me is biased

I wouldn't be surprised if you were a liberal, too.
>>
>>30995868
I'd give Pt a higher rating but I'm biased as hell towards Sinnoh, but I pretty much agree with everything.
>>
>>30994956
Evaluate the new mons thusly:
>Is it pleasing or interesting to look at?
>Is it fun to train? Have a solid moveset? Lack any gay gimmick?
>Is it good, or at least viable, for SP?
>Is it good, or at least viable, for MP?

The more 'yes' answers in general, the better the gen.

Also, with each newly introduced gimmick, rate it on this triangle. The more that land close to Green and Green/Yellow, the better the gen.
>>
File: pokemon game gimmick rater.png (12KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
pokemon game gimmick rater.png
12KB, 800x600px
>>30998270
>>
>>30998117

How'd you come up with that conclusion?
>>
>>30994956
they don't. there is no objective rate.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.