[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does smogon think banning every pokemon from play and making

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

File: 1364490889525.png (124KB, 316x316px) Image search: [Google]
1364490889525.png
124KB, 316x316px
Why does smogon think banning every pokemon from play and making a ton of rules is fun?
>>
Until they start having authority on the actual in game rules why the fuck do you care? I dont even like smogon but this mentality people carry that they are the official format baffles me.
>>
>>30988745
nice anti smogon meme op
>>
Its (You) a new kind of drug?
>>
>>30988745
Because playing a hyper centralized game, which is exactly what would happen to singles if only box/event legends were banned, is not fun.
>>
Productive shift of thread.

Smogon is the most popular online battler, but why do they hate change? They unanimously banned extreme evoboost in doubles because they were afraid it would change the meta.

That's the verbatim reason.
>>
>>30988842
The main idea was that every team would have to carry specific counters to Evoboost teams that are ineffective in most other matchups similar to why people disliked Swagplay strats so much. It's not that counters don't exist but more said counters are a deadweight against mostly anything but these specific strategies which creates an overcentralized meta.
>>
>>30988842
Doubles OU is extremely conservative with bans. Last gen they only banned mega salamence, and gravity+sleep (a compromise of dropping sleep clause.) Everything else (except stuff like box legends and dark void) is allowed.

Eeveepass had no good counterplay aside from haze. Stopping the pass didn't mean you won, either, but on the other hand, a successful pass was more or less an automatic victory. Unless you played against it, don't comment on it.
>>
>>30988745
nice meemay
>>
>>30988745
There's literally a format for every taste.
If you are a faggot you can simply play Anything Goes and stop bitching.

Its not even a real authority and if you play with the downloadable VCG rules in the actual game you don't even hear about Smogon. So fuck off.
>>
>>30988984
What's Doubles UU like?
>>
>>30988745
They're not trying to make it fun. They're trying to remove things that aren't competitive. A 'perfect' game is one in which the more skilled player always wins, or put better, the player who makes the rights choices always wins. Banning double team or swagger is in service to this goal, as both mean that you are at the mercy of RNG. You can make the right decisions and still lose. The goal is to find policy that means that players have to manage randomness, but skill takes precedence.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ous-tiering-policy-framework-read-and-understand-this.3552154/

They have an entire page explaining how and why they do shit, but you've never been there, and probably can't read, so you don't know. I don't do simulator play, or really any competitive play at all, but I can at least understand what they're doing.
>>
>>30989226
>M-Kangaskhan was allowed in Doubles OU
Shit, really? In VGC it was basically Kang > Salamence > Mawile/CharY/Gengar/Gardevoir/Metagross > All else

Surprised it'd be too different to that.
>>
>>30988745
because playing with nothing banned is even more unfun
do you want to play against funbro? play without sleep clause? play against the same 6 centralizing op mons every game?
>>
>>30989379
Surely that's the difference between tiering and banning?
Tiering is there to make multiple metagames with their own quirks, between which the majority of Pokémon are viable and there is enough variation in teams without it being so unpredictable that preparation becomes meaningless
Banning is to make the game be more based around skill rather than luck, or to stop a single bad play being punished so hard that the rest of the game becomes meaningless
>>
Why didn't anyone make a Project M style mod since Gamefreak doesn't care about singles anymore?
>>
So back in gen 4 people that don't understand smogon made a meme of them banning garchomp but anyone that actually played back then knows banning chomp was the best decision of the format. Garchomp was so good back then, before fairy types, outrage garchomp was almost unstoppable, there was no reason not to play garchomp. And because everyone played garchomp, everyone had to play a garchomp counter, and a garchomp counter counter. So in gen 4 almost every team ran garchomp, cresselia, and heracross, it was over centralized and unfun. But after the garchomp ban the meta widen up considerably allowing for stall teams, swift swim teams, baton pass teams, and whole bunch of other stuff that wouldn't be possible in the garchomp cresselia heracross meta. Trust me when I say that when smogon bans something they are doing it because they want to keep the game fun.
>>
>>30989612
I wonder this too, it wouldn't be hard to run a showdown server without stealth rocks and with rebalanced stats
>>
>>30988745
Did once play online with mic on in x and y. Some random kid bitched to me about how it is not allowed to use a move despite the pokemon learning it absolutely legit.
>>
>>30989628
People that are very vocal about how much they hate Smogon tend to be what I call casual elitists. The people who cry about how games should only be played for fun, how critics are irrelevant, and competitive gaming is "killing" gaming but then will say that what matters is how you enjoy the game yourself. The people who are self-righteous about being casual. Pokemon and Smash communities are full of them.
>>
No one is forcing you to play by their rules
>>
>>30989340
doesnt exist yet, last gen it was kinda fun
>>
>>30989747
What move was it?
>>
>>30989656
Hilariously, there is a meta game called Tier Shift where lower tiered mons get stat boosts.
>>
>>30989875
I always found it funny because it implies that people don't have fun playing competitively
In fact I think people who play competitively have more fun because it's not dependent on your opponent not skullfucking you because they know the game better than you
>>
>>30989562
Both are in aid of preventing stagnation. A healthy meta is one that is constantly evolving as people are always searching out new counters to the popular strategies, see pretty much any MOBA. When a strategy becomes so dominant, that the choice is either to play it, and only it, or attempt to find a gimicky counter, then it becomes unhealthy. That's where bans come in.

Tiering and banning are the same thing, Ubers is the banlist for OU, OU is simply the banlist for UU, and so on. (Yes, I realize its more complicated than that, but you get the point). And we saw what happens when you don't do this when mega-ray came out. A tier was founded on only playing 6 mega-rays. It was silly.
>>
>>30989950
What's the top Pokemon last gen?
>>
>>30990081
I mean UU.
>>
>>30990081
charizard x was good enough that it was banned from some later tournament play, hailroom teams were highly prevalent, and hariyama was on like 70% of teams before hitmontop dropped
>>
>>30990125
this post is about duu, dont play any singles sry
>>
>>30990080
Just to clarify to others, OU, UU, RU, NU, and PU are all based on usage percentage rather than banlists. However, there are banlists for each tier, respectively Ubers, BL, BL2, BL3, and BL4.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.