[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Blue was an asshole Why does this meme still exist? Even

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

>Blue was an asshole
Why does this meme still exist? Even after it's been 20 years, and he's appeared in 4 games as a friendly guy, why does this meme still exist?
>>
He was an asshole in the first gen, he simply got fucked into submission by Red.
>>
>why does this meme still exist?

They're projecting their schoolyard bullies into him when he is just naughty at most.
>>
>>30988166
He was a sore loser for the first two fights, where he blamed his loss on his starter, but after that, he was an overall good guy. Even more friendly than Cheren.
>>
>>30988122
>every character heals you before a battle in SM
>this guy comes in after you take on several people + Mina and just challenges you to a battle
Kind of a dick move
>>
>>30988216
When was Cheren unfriendly to the player?
>>
Cause he was an asshole, he has clearly matured a lot.
>>
>>30988350
When was Blue unfriendly?
>>
>>30988369
No he wasn't, he just had a one-track mind.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (8KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
8KB, 480x360px
Stupid people kept merging Blue's personality with Gary Oak's early personality, and his reputation stuck.
>>
>>30988408
Sometimes he sounded pretty arrogant with things like
>Well I better get going! I've got a lot to accomplish, unlike you!
>Is your Pokémon dead? Hey! It's alive! I can at least make them faint! Let's go!"
And so on.
>>
People see Blue in RBY through Gary-colored lenses.
>>
>>30988542
This. At most Blue was arrogant and standoffish.
>>
>>30988534
Arrogant =/= asshole.
He was rightfully arrogant. He was strong. He did accomplish a lot
>>
I wouldn't call him an asshole. He's just a hotheaded kid that matures naturally as time goes on.
>>
He tells his sister not to give you a map
He always acts like you're a loser
He talks down to you
He's incredibly arrogant and acts superior
He never accepts that he lost fair and square
He lets Team Rocket take over Silph Scope and hangs out just to battle you

He was a dick in Gen 1.
>>
>>30988642
>He tells his sister not to give you a map
You're right, man, how could they even include this in a kids' game? This is the kind of shit that traumatizes people for life.
>>
>>30988621
>He was strong. He did accomplish a lot
Most rivals were, but only Silver was on the same level of arrogance.
>>
He grew up. He was a total dick when he was a kid. Things like that can follow you for a long time.
>>
>>30988569

He was a douche.

It was also about his timing. Throughout the game he'd show up at an inopportune moment when your Pokemon team was barely clinging to life and come at you with tough Pokemon, the most infamous time this happened was getting out of the long maze of the starting cave. Agree you've finally got out and think you're home free he comes and fucks you over.

In addition he started the tradition of the rival choosing the starter that has an advantage over yours. In fact, he's in the room when you choose and your go first. He watches and intentionally chooses the one that has the advantage.

The anime portrays Gary as a total douche on many occasions, too.
>>
>>30988847
>After you got out of the long maze of the starting cave
I still dont remember that. I remember you fight him on nugget bridge and you are able to heal right before then.
>>
>>30988847
>the most infamous time this happened was getting out of the long maze of the starting cave

He doesn't show up until Nugget Bridge. There's a town in between.
>>
>>30988847
>Throughout the game he'd show up at an inopportune moment when your Pokemon team was barely clinging to life
>barely clinging to life
Only if a.) you suck or b.) you were too cheap/lazy to buy recovery items. I mean they're even called potions, like they are in literally every other jrpg around. You should know to buy and keep a good stock of such things around.
>>
>>30988734
The fuck does this have to do with if Blue was a dick or not? You're a dumbass who's reaching because he can't argue his point
>>
>>30988981

When red and blue first came out we were all very young and many people didn't even know what a JRPG was. The term JRPG didn't even exist yet. Get off your high horse.
>>
>>30989046
>When red and blue first came out we were all very young and many people didn't even know what a JRPG was. The term JRPG didn't even exist yet.

Not him, but I was 12 and into JRPGs at the time. You don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>30988893
>>30988930

We're talking the original R/B. Not the new ones.
>>
>>30988847
>the most infamous time this happened was getting out of the long maze of the starting cave. Agree you've finally got out and think you're home free he comes and fucks you over.
Nice meme.
>>
>>30988122
"blue was an asshole meme" is because gary oak was an asshole, blue is fine
>>
>>30989064
>We're talking the original R/B. Not the new ones.
What are you talking about? Go play RB.
>>
>>30989061

Reading comprehension. I never said you didn't play them.
>>
>>30989046
Speak for yourself. FF7 was released literally the year before Blue & Red. Everyone and their moms had played that. And even before then I'd play Shining series, Phantasy Star series, Mario RPG, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, and many other jrpgs.
>>
>>30988534
Have you ever had friends? These two are childhood friends and rivals, they're gonna rib each other pretty hard. I bought into the whole "Blue was an asshole" thing until I replayed Red for the first time in 10+ years and all I could think is that he talks to Red the same way I and my friends talk to each other.
>>
>>30989084

Whichever it was with all the Zubats. Not like every cave back then didn't have them.
>>
>>30989046
>The term JRPG didn't even exist yet.
Confirmed underage
>>
>>30989085
People who were into games and not in preschool at the time knew what JRPGs were.
>>
>>30989092

A lot of people here can't read. Never said you never played them.
>>
>>30988122
>shows up to Silph Co. while you're saving it just to battle you
>then leaves without doing anything to help about Team Rocket

I mean it's not his job to help, but come on.
>>
>>30988621
>Rightfully arrogant
>Towards the trainer kicking his ass every time
Sure, idiot.
>>
>>30989123

I didn't and many others I know didn't. I played a couple but didn't know what a JRPG was until later when the internet community was getting started and were using the term.
>>
>>30989106
>Whichever it was with all the Zubats. Not like every cave back then didn't have them.

There are 5 caves in RB.

>Mt. Moon
The next time you see Blue is after you hit Cerulean (Nugget Bridge).

>Digglett's Cave
The next time you see Blue is on the SS Anne.

>Rock Tunnel
The next time you see Blue is in Pokemon Tower or Silph Co.

>Victory Road
Next time you see Blue is the Championship battle.

>Cerulean Cave
No more Blue encounters.
>>
>>30989046
You're full of shit. JRPGs were extremely popular in America at the time
>>
>>30989046
>>30989173
>I didn't and many others I know didn't.
>When red and blue first came out we were all very young and many people didn't even know what a JRPG was.

Maybe it's because you were very young.
>>
>>30989092
>phantasy star

End of the millennium was my shit. My first video game along with sanic and knuckles. Had it before pokemon hit our shores.
>>
>>30989173
>Me and my friends didn't know the term, clearly that means everyone

You're an idiot
>>
>>30988122
>>30989080
>>30989137
>>30989151
Plus, he tended to show up at shit times if you weren't overly prepared.

So basically same reason Zangief is in Badguys Anonymous in Smash-it Sam.

>now imagine Blue saying "i'm bad... And that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad, because there's no one I would rather be than me."
>>
>>30989259
>So basically same reason Zangief is in Badguys Anonymous in Smash-it Sam.
But Zangief actually was a villain. He worked for M.Bison
>>
>>30989222
yup.

america was still feeling the effects of the rpg boom ushered in by final fantasy vii just a year earlier
>>
>>30989151
Anyone would be the same though.
If I lost to someone, that's all the more reason I would want to win against them. If I'm battling someone, I wouldn't start it with "Please go easy on me".
>>
>>30989259
>Plus, he tended to show up at shit times if you weren't overly prepared.

Not really. He either showed up when you were most likely already healed (Nugget Bridge, Lavender, Route 22 after Giovanni) or when you were already fighting other trainers anyway (Silph, SS Anne, Elite Four).
>>
>>30989137
You're already at the boss level. He just battles you before that, to make sure you're okay.
>>
>>30989137
>then leaves without doing anything to help about Team Rocket

He was on the top floor. It's pretty obvious he would have to battle Team Rocket to make it there. They all stopped to fight Red every time they spotted him, why would Blue be any different? Makes no sense that he'd just be there to fight you and nothing else.
>>
>>30989093
I generally stay away from overly cocky faggots.
>>
>Shows up right before Pokemon Center!
>Is a dick!
So it is the Poketuber tier memes, and Gary's personality, that have ruined Blue image. At least it's clear these people haven't paid any attention to the games.
>>
Silver was a dick.
Blue is just cocky.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.