[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would you fix competitive pokemon? I think we can all agree

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: 1481633454119.jpg (253KB, 600x840px) Image search: [Google]
1481633454119.jpg
253KB, 600x840px
How would you fix competitive pokemon?

I think we can all agree that if Nintendo actually banned competitors for using illegal mons that the scene would be gutted.

Bottle caps were a poor/failed attempt at making perfect mons more easily available to the average player. Super training and the dex nav were a step in the right direction but of course GF took those away.

So how do we fix this /vp/?
>>
Showdown
>>
Delete IVs. Just straight up delete them. Don't patch them up, don't make it easier to breed, just remove them. It's a terrible mechanic that no one likes.

Bind Hidden Power to a separate value that's changeable in some way and add HP Fairy. Make natures changeable too via Pokemon Refresh or something.

There's no way to fix competitive beyond that unless they either add tiers like smogon is doing or just fucking go back and overhaul a shit ton of pokemon to actually be viable.
>>
>>30933351
Why is there no HP fairy yet? What's the deal?
>>
File: considering.png (2MB, 657x717px) Image search: [Google]
considering.png
2MB, 657x717px
>>30933351
>Delete IVs
>mfw that would shift the direction in which pokemon is heading
>mfw that'd give them a reason to add more post-game content in every gen
>mfw it sounds so retarded it might actually be a pretty good idea
>>
>>30933407
It's because of a dumb outdated way IVs are calculated that forces them to be stuck in 2^4 possible values. Since Fairy requires a 17th value they just didn't bother including it.
>>
Just add tiers
>>
No RNG's for IV's or Natures on anything that's not breedable or chainable. (Mythics, Legendaries)

"Soft Reset" my ass.

It's the ONE mechanic left makes me pull the little hair I have left out, and makes me feel like I can't complain when people Gen/PkHex their mons.
>>
>>30933726
You could also ban non-breedables/chainables, since most are legendaries and the meta revolves around having one or two anyway.

Either way, for example, every single Celesteela should have the same IV's/Natures (since there should only exist one, hence Legendary).
>>
>>30933351
>I don't like working for things

Just play on Showdown then you fag
>>
>>30933769
UBs aren't legendaries. You're given 2 different Celesteela and 4 fucking Kartana.
>>
>>30934076
Semantics.

Let's say "Quantity Limited" then, if they aren't Legendary proper.
>>
>>30934076
So Solgaleo and Lunala aren't legendaries either?
>>
>>30934303
It's not very semantic if the thing you're calling legendary is something Lusamine just had 6 around her running around like they were nothing special

>>30934358
>have to travel to an entirely parallel universe postgame just to get another one, and those are the only two you'll ever meet
>meanwhile 4 Kartana are just running around and there's literally nothing special about any one of them
>>
>>30933351
>Delete IVs
This desu. Competitive Pokemon would be heaps more enjoyable if I didn't have to worry about this bullshit every time I wanted to train something new. Battle Facilities would be less of a nightmare too.

Breeding for natures and egg moves is easy compared to that so I don't mind keeping that as is though.

Being able to change HP somehow would also be good. Like a HP tutor that changes the type in exchange for some rare-ish commodity like Heart Scales.
>>
>>30934381
>not very legendary if--
Fine. I used "Legendary" in the unapproved manner.

You're arguing story beat points in a thread about the competitive scene.

The key is that they are quantity limited in-game. They cannot be bred, chained, or even hunted for at all beyond their quantity limit. Yet a good chunk of the UBs are consistently showing up in Top 16 at tournaments.

I'm willing to buy that at least _some_ people who make Top 16's are breeding legit. But with Quantity Limited mons? You KNOW that those are 6IV + Nature Gen'd.

Would you like to argue against my argument, instead of my improper usage of the word Legendary?
>>
It doesn't need a fix because competitive is a minor part of Pokemon that only a minority of players care about.

GF needs to focus on making cool regions, Pokemon, stories, and post game content, which they did very well this gen.
>>
>>30934435
>is a minor part of Pokemon that only a minority of players care about.

That said the competitive scene should still be healthy, and GF have done a hell of a lot to bring the concept of having "your" mons that you lovingly raised be the ones you compete with into something resembling an attainable reality.

That said, there's still a few more things they'll need to quash before I'll actually feel good arguing against PkHex though, and Quantity Limited mons (such as, but not limited to, Legendaries and Mythics) still giving you an RNG for their IV's and Natures is dumb beyond belief when most of the time those mons still show up in a major way in the meta.

You still 100% need to gen to effectively play in competitive. This is inarguable. It's also unacceptable.
>>
Honestly, breeding and legendaries would be fine if you could just change your hidden power easily. Maybe an npc that does this in exchange for a rare item like the comet shard.

Also, for legendaries, maybe add hold items that increase the odds of encountering something with a specific nature, grinding Abras should not be a mechanic
>>
>>30933429
>mfw that'd give them a reason to add more post-game content in every gen
No it wouldn't.
>>
>>30934433
That's an easy enough thing to argue then in the case of UBs in Gen 7. You not only catch 2-4 of each one, they come equipped with 3 perfect IVs to begin with, non-mixed ones only need 5 perfect IVs, and bottle caps exist. Feasibly, with only like 5 synchronize Abras, it's not hard in-game at all to make a perfect UB.

Something that's legitimately a one-of like the tapus are a different story. But if you roll 2 Celesteela at 50% of the right nature each, it's very likely you end up with a proper Celesteela with 3 perfect IVs who would only take 2 bottlecaps to make the same as a 6IV perfectly generated Celesteela.
>>
Ban players for using illegal mons.
Idgaf if it guts the whole damn thing, if everyone is cheating then what's the damn point of having it.
Besides I think a fresh start would do the VGC some good.

At the very least a 3 strike system. Anything is better then what we have now.

Have a singles division. This is more a personal thing because I can only watch doubles so much.

Other then that I think the games themselves have made it easy as hell to breed perfect iv pokemon. And if grinding experience was better then hyper training would be perfect.

Hidden power needs an overhaul so it includes fairy and can be changed regardless of ivs.

Evs and Ivs need to stay in some capacity and I think they are mechanics that work fine as is, especially now.

If you think it's hard now it's safe to say that you never tried in gen 3 when online trading didn't exist so no pokerus unless you were lucky.
No super/hyper training
No separate daycare for xp and breeding so you had to swap out mons with egg moves constantly even if you needed that parent to pass on ivs.

Only way they could make it easier without braindead showdown level is if they made the 3ds jerk you off while you hatched eggs.
>>
>>30934747
Also forgot, no destiny knot in gen 3...so that was fun.
>>
Personally, it wouldn't be any skin off my nose if they outright banned anyone who hacked their Pokemon. People who want cheap and easy access can use programs like Pokemon Showdown to battle quickly, and it saves them money in the long run.

I like the EV and IV system, and it exists for perfectly legitimate reasons. It's so that you're unlikely to find two Pokemon of the same species with the exact same stats, and thus making them more individually "your pokemon". This of course applies entirely to kids and casuals playing the story of the game and not post-game. Breeding for IVs/natures and EV training just keeps getting easier, so I don't see any reason to trash the system. They could absolutely make it even easier to manipulate these things, but I don't really see it as an obligation. At the end of the day I think it makes perfect sense to have to specially train your Pokemon for battle.
>>
>>30933351
You really may as well just delete the work required for EVs as well, in which case you should just go play Showdown or just inject.

Honestly. Breeding a perfect IV mon with correct HP is the easiest it's ever been this gen, it takes like 30 mins to an hour. If you're so entitled and lazy that you can't do that much I have nothing more to say, and this is coming from someone who only has enough time to play Pokemon on the weekends and vacation.

I do agree on HP Fairy though.

>>30933258
The only problem is that grinding up to 100 is a pain. Super Training and DexNav were nice additions but PokePelago, the buff to Power items, and the IV checker are much better replacements.

I know a lot of this board is filled with lazy underage teenagers with zero work ethic but try to hide it better.
>>
>>30933258
I kind of hope they ban clearly hacked pokemon or in the next game find out if a pokemon you're using has a hacked parent or you used hacked methods like 999 rare candies or bottle caps.

I just want to see lazy, shitty people squirm, I don't really care about competitive.
>>
File: pika.jpg (24KB, 320x400px) Image search: [Google]
pika.jpg
24KB, 320x400px
Pull a gen 3 and make it so that next gen all Pokemon from previous gens become unavailable. Use that momentum to retcon stats, mechanics, abilities and movepools as best as you can to make the metagame balanced.

There, fixed. GF will never do this though because it would upset the normies who couldn't pass on their "bros" from gen to gen.
>>
1) Hyper Training should actually change the IV, not just the calculation. Make it a lvl 50 requirement instead of 100, and make them BP items. This won't fix hexing, but others will be able to compete a lot more easily

2) in keeping with this, add a "Pokemon Psychologist" who takes an item in exchange for changing a Pokemon's nature.

From there all you need is a more comprehensive retooling of each Pokemon. Some Pokemon are obviously designed to be better (legendaries and other limited quantity mons) and some are designed to be bad (Luvdisc, first route mons, etc) but there's a lot of stuff that got fucked over by power creep and they could use some changes to stats, abilities, and/or movepools.

As for the tournaments themselves, if you rebalance the mons hopefully that means stuff like the bring 6 pick 3 model or 6v6 can return.
>>
Give pokemon movepools on par with dragons/pseudos

>>30937592
1)No the way they did it is great for hidden powers, level 50 is reasonable, BP items is...reasonable I guess

2 is cool

Honestly some stat redristbutions/nerfs would be interesting to see.
>>
>>30937641
I'd sooner see the lower tiers get buffed than the higher tiers get nerfed. Things that get nerfed never recover.

Look at Gengar, a simple ability change that very well could have been an attempt at a buff for doubles (because terrain) is now generally considered shit tier and might as well never be used.
>>
>>30937641
Just change how HP works, fucking over legit players and promoting PKHex just because you want your HP Ice Xurkitree is fucking retarded.
>>
On IVs: While I understand that most of you see them as a nice barrier to entry, think about them from a strategic standpoint. What do they really add? You basically only ever use 31 or 0 based on strategy. That's not much in terms of strategy. Meanwhile, EVs can be customized to a much larger extent and natures which appeared in gen 3 effectively replace IVs, which appeared in gen 1. So really, IVs should have been removed 4 generations ago, but GF wants to hold onto their precious child mechanic.
>>
Change IV system, so only 0,1,30 and 31 still exist.

Seriously, there's no point in keeping all those IV value when only four of them are worth breeding for.

That would actually may make your main game "viable" (unlike the pain in the ass through bottle caps are), but you would actually still breed if you aiming for an specific nature, egg moves or a shiny.
>>
reduce or end by all means anything revolving luck, I'm so sick of losing matches because my 95acc move didn't work as intended
>>
If it was up to me, I'd rape every pokemon's stats to make them all balanced with one another.

Then again, I'd probably radically change the battle system to not be a game of carrying 6 pokemon that die in one hit, and be a three or four member team with no one or even two hit kills, with speed allowing you to bypass slow pokemon's turns over time.

Remove shinies, add more color varieties and coat patterns to breed, remove IVs, make EVs rerollable, change gender ratios from 12.5% to 35% at the least, remove natures having an influence on stats at all, make there only be one pokeball that you load an item into to change its behavior with the ability to change their color and design later...

So probably nothing pokemon fans would actually want. No one will admit it, but pokemon fans LOVE the insane bullshit and convoluted nonsense that needlessly divides the fanbase. They fucking LOVE IT.
>>
none of these "fix" genning. No matter what genning will save time.

Even if gamefreak had a machine in the game that acted like a save editor but it cost arbitrary points from a certain service or item, people would be like "NOPE".

So there's no point in pandering to a crowd who is going to be impossible to please. There is also no point in discussing cheaters either because everyone has different morals.
>>
>>30933258
>Bottle caps were a poor/failed attempt at making perfect mons more easily available to the average player
Perfect Pokémon should be time consuming to obtain.
>>
>>30939746
They really shouldn't. IVs by all rights shouldn't even exist.
>>
hidden power is now calculated by a separate hidden value. For imported pokemon the hidden value is calculated using the old formula from the IVs during the import process.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.