[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>S.Atk & S.Def are the same stat >No breeding, no EV,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 14

>S.Atk & S.Def are the same stat
>No breeding, no EV, no abilities
>No endgame
>One dragon type move, 3 dragon pokemon
>3 ghost pokemon, no ghost move
>Worst pokemon design in all generations: voltorb, electrode, diglett, grimer = muk = ditto, magnemite, magneton wtf? executor, tangela, jinx, magmar
>30% of all moves is glitched

and people still say generation lll was the worst lol
>>
>>30919498
You forgot no physical/special split.
>>
>>30919498
Gen 1 is shit. Other people might excuse it just because it started off the series but every gen after has tried to improve on its formula. I'm not giving gen 1 a pass.
>>
>>30919498
Every gen is good desu
>>
>>30919624
Something can still be the worst and be good to a degree.
>>
>>30919498
It gives a very different game feeling

It's fun to revisit
>>
It didn't age well, but at the time it was fantastic.
Having said that, this anon >>30919616
nailed it
>>
>>30919498
To be fair, there were TWO ghost moves.
One was Lick with its base power of 20 and inability to hit psychics for no good reason whatsoever.
One was Night Shade with its power based solely on level.
Oh, and Bug had all of Leech Life, Pin Missile, and Twineedle, the first with shit base power, the latter two being exclusive to Beedrill (and Jolteon for some reason for Pin Missile)
>>
Lolbroken psychic types. Although I guess it makes sense that the best girl had the gym for the best type.
>>
>>30921638
Jolteon's fur is prickly and needle like. That's it. That's literally the reason jolteon got pin missle. It's in the anime. I watched that shit.
>>
>>30921638

The pokedex entry says that Jolteon is able to shoot out its prickly fur like needles
>>
>>30921638
and the only dragon type move was dragon rage right? it did a fixed 40 damage. so while dragon was weak for dragon type moves, this one couldn't do extra damage to dragons
>>
File: sick of your shit.jpg (36KB, 217x329px) Image search: [Google]
sick of your shit.jpg
36KB, 217x329px
>>30921638

There was Confuse Ray as well, a non-damaging move. Also Exeggutor is awesome.
>>
File: 1481521783155.png (338KB, 814x786px) Image search: [Google]
1481521783155.png
338KB, 814x786px
>>30919498
that's the power of nostalgia for you. Gen 3 is still pretty bad though, basically a subpar reboot that took out more features than it added. It has it's fans though, hoennbabbies are probably the second biggest fanbase next to genwunners. Every gen improves upon something, don't even try to go back to gen 6 after playing Sun and Moon your eyes will puke.
>>
File: 1373905703800.png (429KB, 650x734px) Image search: [Google]
1373905703800.png
429KB, 650x734px
>Worst Pokémon design in all generations
Can we stop pretending like we believe this?
Gen 1 had shit designs, no shit, but it also had the highest ceiling in terms of design quality.
Pokémon like Gyarados and Kabutops will never stop looking amazing.
People who go out of their way to shit on gen one because they don't want to look like genwunners are worse than actual genwunners. They're doing it out of nostalgia and/or preference, you're doing it out of pure spite.
You can like other gens without pretending like you hate gen one.
>>
>>30919498
When it came it out was great. It's easy to say it's shit in the (current year) now that we have 3D Online Gen 7 games, and these are clearly eons better. I realize most of you here aren't old enough to have played Gen 1 as a kid so it's easy for you to meme on them, but they were a ton of fun for their time.

That all being said, yeah they're probably the worst games when comparing objectively between all 7 gens
>>
>>30922225
>took out features
Name one thing besides the day-night cycle (a legitimate criticism) and being incompatible with Gens I and II (wasn't feasible due to the complete overhaul they did to the data structure of Pokémon).
>>
>>30919498
>>S.Atk & S.Def are the same stat
So? Didn't really hurt the game play that much.

>>No breeding, no EV, no abilities
Good, good, and fine.

>>No endgame
Cerulean cave and gotta catch em all is plenty enough for the time and hardware. Sorry you didn't chase around some Mary Sue waifu for half an hour on some pointless, phoned in 'post game quest' the game itself was so good it didn't need a post game.

>>One dragon type move, 3 dragon pokemon
>>3 ghost pokemon, no ghost move
Pokemon used to be an actual rpg. 'muh types all have to be perfectly balanced and symmetrical' autism wasn't a thing back then. Psychic and Dragon were the 'boss' types to whatever extent it mattered.

>>Worst pokemon design in all generations: voltorb, electrode, diglett, grimer = muk = ditto, magnemite, magneton wtf? executor, tangela, jinx, magmar

You tried

>>30% of all moves is glitched

Uh, no.

Stay salty hoennbaby. You missed pokemania because you were too busy shitting your diaper and you're resentful, I get it, but it's going to take more effort than that.

Face it. Gen 1 launched this franchise into an unprecedented phenomenon. Gen 3 is what nearly killed it.
>>
File: 1482109190600.png (1MB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1482109190600.png
1MB, 1000x1000px
>30923484
>>
>>30923484
>Make psychic weak to ghost on all official typecharts
>actually immune to ghost
>only ghost move that deals damage is fucking Lick

>dragon is weak to dragon
>only dragon move does fixed damage anyways
These things do not say 'boss' types. These things say 'they fucked up and forgot things' and 'completely screwed up' in the case of Psychic.
>>
>>30923484
are you actually saying the game being terribly balanced and shallow is a good thing?

genwunners have a special type of retardation.
>>
>>30923484
>Psychic and Dragon were the 'boss' types to whatever extent it mattered.

nice bosses... you could catch an abra after the nugget bridge, and rape the game with the kadabra... easy peasy lemon squeezy...

game was awesome for that time, in that you are right, but right now the game sucks balls. also 30% of the moves are glitched. there was a whole big problem with the critical hit system, same goes for the evasion. it was a mess really... some moves like focus energy didn't do anything behind the scenes lol...

the game was a joke
>>
>>30919498
>not liking executor
fuck off cunt

other than that you're right tho
>>
>>30923716
actually focus energy cuts your critical hit rate in half.
>>
>>30922312
Sorry bucko, you don't get to tell people what they can or can't think is shit/uninspired.

Gen 1 has plenty of uninspired Pokemon.

Grimer, Muk, Voltorb, Electrode, and etc. are uninspired Pokemon.

>>30922312
>Can we stop pretending like we believe this?

Can you stop pretending like you know what others really believe/think?

>>30922312
>highest ceiling in terms of design quality.

You can say this about any gen.

>>30922312
>Pokémon like Gyarados and Kabutops will never stop looking amazing.

Two can play this game. And Pokemon like Latios, Latias, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Blaziken, Swampert, Sceptile, Ludicolo, Aggron, Sharpedo, Milotic, and plenty of other Pokemon introduced in Hoenn will never stop looking amazing.
>>
>>30919498
>>Worst pokemon design in all generations: voltorb, electrode, diglett, grimer = muk = ditto, magnemite, magneton wtf? executor, tangela, jinx, magmar

these are all good designs, the only bad gen 1 poke is mr mime
>>
>>30923822
Grimer is one of the most uninspired Pokemon designs.
>>
>>30923863
what about voltorb.. and his evolution electrode. that was just a joke.
>>
>Walking through Power Plant
>Oh an item!
>BZZZZT!
>>
>>30919498
Kanto and Unova have some real shitty designs
When you try to make 150 pokemon at once you run out of ideas
Both gens do have some great ones though
Reminder that gen 1 has a literal crab slapped in
>>
>>30923888
Well I said one of.
>>
How many of you played Red/Blue as your very first pokemon game?
>>
it's really weird to me that people pick on voltorb and electrode as examples of simplistic design both as an argument that simplicity is in any way bad and in that there are other obvious targets that never get the same attention (pidgey, rattata, spearow, mankey, ekans etc)
>>
>>30923978
I believe I played Silver/Gold/Crystal and then Red/Blue/Yellow. I could be wrong though, I was very young back then. Gen 3 and Gen 5 are easily my favorites though.

>>30924005
It's people genwunner fags shit on designs like Vanillite and Trubbish while excusing shit like Electrode/Voltorb and Grimer/Muk.
>>
>>30924029
>people

*because
>>
File: d4553.jpg (11KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
d4553.jpg
11KB, 320x320px
>>30923952
>yfw
>>
File: Shiggy.jpg (116KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Shiggy.jpg
116KB, 1280x720px
>Seel the Seal
>>
File: d3208.jpg (22KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
d3208.jpg
22KB, 640x480px
>>30923484
>No breeding, no EV, no abilities
>Good, good, and fine.
>>
>>30923863
Grimer and Muk are one of the best. They look like they shouldn't even be alive, like it's taking a huge effort for them to even stay in one piece not collapsing into a pile of sludge. They're actual monsters, not just some stupid birds or dogs.
>>
>>30923978
so nobody?
>>
File: Sophisticated Laughing Pepe.jpg (8KB, 185x273px) Image search: [Google]
Sophisticated Laughing Pepe.jpg
8KB, 185x273px
>>30924129
>Grimer and Muk are one of the best.

I'm not going to bite this shitty bait bro. I'll just laugh.
>>
>>30923978
I assume most people did.
>>
>>30924190
I sincerely doubt that
>>
>>30924187
Okay, but I can offer a "why" behind my opinion and you can only offer a tired 9gag meme image.
>>
>>30919498
The first generation of games were ass.

However the designs (concept not the shitty sprites) were great overall.
>>
>>30923104
Well in RS you lost the ability to get them all
>>
>>30924129
This. Alolan Muk is even cooler but I wish the shiny was like an oil spill or something to that effect.
>>
File: berd.jpg (48KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
berd.jpg
48KB, 640x427px
>>30924204
>/threading yourself
>>
>It's another 'let's hate on gen 1' episode
Of course it's going to have the least amount of ghost/dragon Pokémon/moves, of course there was no breeding, of course there were no abilities and EV's and endgame. You can all say this with the knowledge you have now, not when there was nothing to compare it to. Next thing people are going to complain that gen 1 had sprites in stead of 3D models.
Are you seriously this mentally challenged that you're comparing games with years of technical development in between? fuck.
"worst designs" is highly subjective and nowhere even near 30% of the moves was glitched.
Stop being such degenerates and see a game for what it was back in its day, not how it holds up now.
>>
>>30924253
nice way to ignore the content of the post and bring up some stupid meme shit instead

Never change /vp/
>>
>>30923978
inb4 genwunner fags say "Y-y-you just can't understand the greatness of gen 1 because it wasn't your first gen."
>>
>>30919498
>hating on diglett
>>
>>30924304
This is completely true

You willl never know what its like to be a 5 year old in 1997 playing these games for the first time
>>
>>30923978
I did. The games were fun at the time, but they were and are a huge mess, for all the reasons noted already and then some.
I've enjoyed every generation so far except 5, it couldn't hold my attention for whatever reason, and all have their strong points and weak points, their good pokemon and bad pokemon (design-wise). And in general, I feel they've been improving on the game itself. If only they'd make having a hard mode a default option in all games, available from the start, that would be great.
>>
>>30922225
Gen 1 had great music. I'd say the best, but gen 2 had all that, plus more on top of it.

Gen 3 had some neat stuff in it, but also took steps back in other areas. Sounds were arguably higher quality, but always a bit off. Also looked visually cluttered. But that could be said of a lot of GBA era games. Was that just me growing up, or was there something funky going down in the industry?
>>
>>30924304
But that's true bro
>>
>>30919498
Gen 4 was the worst by a landslide, At least gen 1 has an excuse for being so bad.
>>
>>30924235
Under

Fucking

Rated
>>
I can go back to Gen I and enjoy the simplicity of it. I don't need to worry about getting a gimped nature or a crap ability on a Pokémon. There are flaws and glitches, but they are fun to exploit when possible like the Leech Seed/Toxic combo and laughing at the AI every time it wastes a turn with Focus Energy. Psychics were OP and Ghosts and Dragons were underutilized. Being a Bug was suffering as far as STAB goes.

Gen I isn't my favorite, but it's very easy to jump back into and enjoy for what it started.
>>
File: firered-leafgreen.png (262KB, 1024x640px) Image search: [Google]
firered-leafgreen.png
262KB, 1024x640px
I know this is a bait thread but im in a good mood and will bite

Gen 1 technically is not going to be great obviously. That is common sense OP.

With that being said gen 1 was great for many reason. Its one of the only gens with a Pokedex almost 90% full of great designs. It set the precident on what Pokemon should look like, Which is an animal or monster based off of real life biological creatures with a slight cartoony cute/cool twist. Pokemon was created by people who like biology and bug collecting and based of off that. There is nothing wrong with simple animal like designs at all.

On top of that it brought the original music which was great. The best Rival dynamic with him ending up champion before you. It brought a gym leader system which was great at first and it had a multiplayer game with more character choices than anything at the time.

Pic related is who in my opinion are great designs. All marked with green. Many of these monsters became pop culture icons for a reason.

I have been playing since 1998, Those first games are not my favorite at all, my favorites are BW2, Platinum, and S/M but to say that they were flat out bad is just retardation.
>>
>>30923810
I don't think they're uninspired at all. Muk and Grimer convey a certain type of poison, it being sludge and water pollution. Koffing/Weezing was gas and Arbok/Ekans were venom. The Grass/Poison and other mixes types also used a different form of poison. I thought that it was well put together as each Pokémon used poison in battle differently allowing different playstyles between trainers.
Also saying Muk and Grimer are bad designs shows that you don't think broadly of what a Pokémon should be. They also meld well into the environments they live in. Their simple design has a unique battle style and you can tell how they live, eat and fight just by looking at them. They look dangerous but also shows a trainer's worth if they tame one.
Gen 1 was all about battling and catching, so every Pokémon had to have a feature that allowed them to fight and live in the wild. Newer gens don't focus on these factors as much now as there are events such as contests, so Pokémon are more diversely designed.
Voltorb and Electrode were also well made because they also filled in a mechanic in the game- the surprise attack when picking up an item. They also have an interesting battle style which revolves around their explosive personality. They're utility Pokémon.
Granted, I think Foonus/Amoongus are better designed surprise Pokémon but Voltorb/Electrode are iconic too.
When you think of a Pokémon's design, you have to think broader than if you think it looks good.
>>
>>30923978
i did, it was unbelievable. i remember EVERYONE and i mean EVERYONE in school played it. even the girls. it was so fucking awesome. it was by far the best game to be released on a handheld at the moment.

but now it's a piece of shit obviously, duh, it's 20 years old...
>>
>>30924284
Your attitude /threading yourself and acting like the "content" of your post is the most enlightening thing ever is really fucking annoying.
We had this discussion a million times over and the same shit has been repeated a million times. Memes are all this thread deserves.
>>
File: CrabIsCrab.png (2KB, 195x137px) Image search: [Google]
CrabIsCrab.png
2KB, 195x137px
>>30923968
>>
>>30924506
i agree with that chart for more than 99%. i only DO like shellder.
>>
>>30924510
Grimer/Muk's concept is also worldbuilding; they're a result of pollution from Kanto being increasingly industrialised. Personally, I think their design is as simple as it needs to be. Compared to a similar concept in Trubbish/Garbodor, it looks more like a creature that evolved from human refuse.
>>
>>30924720
exactly
>>
File: 1477668474623.jpg (2MB, 3570x2550px) Image search: [Google]
1477668474623.jpg
2MB, 3570x2550px
>>30923484
You could have actually tried to defend these flaws with reasonable discussion and facts, but instead, you swept them under the rug and pretend they're perfectly fine.
>>
>>30919498
>no EV
>what was Stat EXP
>>
>>30924861
They're as much flaws as it is a flaw that gen 3 didn't have megas, double battles and z-moves.
Stuff gets added in game series. How can you fault the first game in the series for not having features that were added years and years later
>>
>>30924929
uhh gen 3 had double battles of course. Triple battles then or whatever.
>>
>>30924929
>gen 3 didn't have double battles
>>
File: Meowth_0b041d_1477353.jpg (22KB, 523x364px) Image search: [Google]
Meowth_0b041d_1477353.jpg
22KB, 523x364px
>>30919498
>magnemite
>magneton
>voltorb
>electrode
>grimer
>muk
>ditto
>tangela
>executor

BAD

Magnemite is cute. Chandelure is cute. Litwick is cute. Pyukumuku is cute. Shroomish is cute! But your ice cream buddy isn't! Get over it!
>>
>2016
>Still Genwarring

The only reaction posts like these deserve.
>>
>>30925020
>ice cream
>literally said in pokedex it came to life as an icicle
the icecream meme needs to die
>>
>>30924235
>He thinks the game wouldn't be a mess with 386 Pokemon

Hahaha
>>
>>30925050
The icecream meme will die when all of /vp/'s stupidity does. Ergo, never.
>>
>Implying Cinnabar island and the gym there are not one of the GOAT comfy locations in any gen.
>>
>>30924235
You couldn't even catch em all in Red/Blue/Green without glitches.
>m-mew doesn't count!
Yes it fucking does, catching mewtwo but not mew is retarded.
>>
>>30925709
I still will never like icecreammon.
Not because it's icecream, but because I just personally don't like how it looks. They could've done better with the concept of 'icicle/ice cream' than they did, and I don't think it was necessary to make it a three stager - or at least, the way they DID do so is rather bad.
But that's all opinion, not fact.
>>
>>30927724
I agree. They should've did better with Voltorb and Grimer as well.
>>
>>30923978
I got Yellow and Red at the same time (along with that wonderful Pikachu GBC--Christmas 1998 was amazing), but ended up beating Yellow first. It legitimately took me over a month to figure out how to progress in Red though, as I listened when they said not to leave Pallet Town without a pokemon.
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.