[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I've been working on a Pokemon tabletop system for my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

So I've been working on a Pokemon tabletop system for my group since the two options I have found out there are either too slow and clunky or seem too light for my tastes.

I am starting to consider the role of the trainer in the game and I like the flexibility PTU and customization offers, but I wanted to get /tg/'s opinion on Classes vs Skill trees. Which would you prefer in a pokemon game, trainer classes either loose like PTU or rigid like D&D, or Skill trees, where you can grab any ability you like, so long as you have the previous abilities and any other pre-reqs?
>>
>>30913205
Another fa/tg/uy here, and I concur.

Also, unless your players are either familiar with tabletop rpgs or at least the type to understand the rules completely before playing, classes tend to be easier for new players to grasp mechanically
>>
>>30913205
>>30913278
Loose classes that are essentially a collection of abilities to be picked and chosen from like PTU or Classes that give you a strict progression of abilities like D&D?
>>
>>30913374
How new are your players to this kind of thing?
>>
>>30913454
We've played D&D for several years, and tried PTU once.
>>
>>30913482
Personally the PTU one sounds a bit more fun to me, but either works. I think we'd need more details about what was on offer to say more
>>
>>30913113
I think it really depends on what is dragging you down on speed vs. what you feel needs improvement on the lite one.

Since you are mostly building to your group, even if you are introducing a new system, consider if they are going to need to be helped to build a balanced and useful character (lean class) or if they are going to be focused enough building to character concept that no one person is trying to do everything really poorly (go GURPy).

The other part is how long your story is going to run, and how much of that time you are going to spend on character creation. A less rigid system helps for games where you want to pick-up and go right away and maybe you don't need all your skill points decided from the word go. A more rigid system will help you a little if you want to plan your encounters in advance or if people want to know how, exactly, they are progressing the characters.

I really like the idea of skill pyramids where skills have ratings like 'amazing', 'great', 'good', 'okay', 'poor', and 'terrible' And limited number of traits that modify skills in specific moments. Creation wise, you can sketch out the barest details and everything else will fall into place as it matters. This also helps reduce the feeling of wasting a skill if it never comes up in a one-shot story.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.