[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that the dust has settled can we all agree that these were

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 342
Thread images: 32

File: Pokemon-X-Y-Box Art.jpg (864KB, 3649x1607px) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon-X-Y-Box Art.jpg
864KB, 3649x1607px
Now that the dust has settled can we all agree that these were the WORST games in the series?
>>
that's not gen V
>>
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.
>>
>>30820478
No, not even close
>>
>>30820478
thats not gen 1
>>
I like them.
>>
honestly enjoyed these more than red and blue and black and white. music was comfey. love the pokemon variety. serena was cute. i spent much time pss battles. definitely not my least favorite
>>
>>30820478
>god tier ost
>transition to 3D
>PSS
>revisited old designs with megas
>beta test gen made it possible for SM to be so good

Nah it's just you op
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (151KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
151KB, 1920x1080px
>>30820478
Not while these exist.
>>
They weren't terrible first playthrough but after that, there's just nothing to do.

On replaying, they just kinda feel soulless and empty. Pokemon amie and trainer customization were good add ons, but I feel like they focused so much on quality of life and little things that they forgot the big picture of actually having the main game be fun to play.
>>
>/vp/ hates gen 1
>/vp/ hates gen 2
>/vp/ hates gen 3
>/vp/ hates gen 4
>/vp/ hates gen 5
>/vp/ hates gen 6
>/vp/ hates gen 7
does /vp/ actually love main pokemon games?
>>
>>30820585
This is now a Haitian weaving imageboard. no longer is it about Pokemon anymore.
>>
Gen 1 and Gen 2 are still the worst generations due to their lack of the many QOL features that modern games have and having superior remakes.

>b-b-but you should judge them based on when they were released, not compared to today's standards!

Suck my dick.
>>
That's not gen 3.
>>
>>30820585
/vp/ spawned from /v/
/v/ hates video games
It follows that /vp/ hates pokemon games.

I enjoyed XY more than DP, but I never played platinum so that might factor into it. XY did a lot of things right in the QoL department, to the point where I'm absolutely baffled at the backsteps SM has taken.
>>
>>30820547
>god tier ost

It had the most forgettable OST. There was nothing god tier about it. You are objectively wrong.
>>
>>30820706
In general, 4chan hates everything regarding what their boards are about.
>>
>>30820731
Not entirely true. Sometimes, they just hate how OTHER people engage in their topic. Badwrongfun.
>>
>>30820727
The towns and routes are much better than sun and moon towns and routes them only battle themes lacking
>>
>>30820478
Do you need other people to share your stupid opinion to feel special?
>>
File: 1464631272324.jpg (29KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1464631272324.jpg
29KB, 600x450px
>>30820478
I'm honestly not sure. It's certainly the one that left the worst taste in my mouth, but DP might be worse (but DP has Platinum, which raised my opinion of Sinnoh a lot).

It definitely belongs to the worst generation though. No good mainline games, only one good spinoff game with PSMD.

And I don't get what people like about XY's music. It just feels so forgettable, only a few tracks stood out while every other Gen has more. I don't think it's due to the game being more recent either since SM's soundtrack has been much stronger.
>>
>>30820727
>Most forgettable
>Best Trainer OST since gen 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb-_MU2hKLE

Horrible horrible taste anon, X & Y OST was a gold mine left and right.
>>
>>30820794
i agree, i didnt think there was anything special about the music in x and y but snowbelle city is up there top 5 themes
>>
>>30820794
The main problems I hear with D/P are the pokemon selection and the literal speed of the game, but I kinda enjoyed the postgame and it did introduce the physical/special split. Are there other major problems with it I'm not seeing, before the platinum improvements?
>>
>>30820559
This
>>
>>30820845
Honestly it's just those two things, but they're huge things. Shit Pokémon selection coupled with the game playing like molasses just kill the experience.

DP would be fine games if it weren't for those, and Platinum goes and fixes them, and then adds its own new content like the Frontier and Wi-Fi Plaza rip, making for a great overall experience.
>>
>>30820478
That is not gen2
>>
>>30820794
>>30820812
>>30820845
>W-why people like what I dislike

To be honest is hard to find people that liked Gen 4 OST, and even harder to find people that liked gen 5 OST given most of the good ones were hidden on end game stuff and were REMIXES.

I understand if you started in gen 4+ and the upbeat themes that were there since the beginning of the games are not linked to your taste, but gen 4 and 5 ost really were horrible. So please stop trying to hipster it up and defending the trash OST we got those generations.

>OST Tier
II > I = VI >VII = III >>>>>>>> IV =V
>>
File: 1380866660698.png (2MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
1380866660698.png
2MB, 1366x768px
>>30820478
Pokemon X&Y is among my top 3 personal favourite Pokemon main games, and if to be honest Kalos is my favourite region if not for the fact of it being based off France (or a European country in general) and just being comfy to go through. Lumiose City, despite being a clusterfuck to navigate through, is still a very impressive place in terms of design and how much cafes, restaurants and other places it offers. It is one of the few cities in the Pokemon games that really gave me the impression more than 20 NPCs live in it.

To be honest, I look at Pokemon X&Y with somewhat rose-tinted glasses considering it is the generation that got me back loving Pokemon once more, but even now I can forgive it for all the faults it has. Its story, characters and overall world are pretty much underdeveloped -- feeling rather incomplete and I am convinced Pokemon Z could have mitigated those issues if Game Freak actually decided to give it a go.

Pokemon X&Y has a lot of stuff going for it, that at least for me make it very likable:
> Character customization that is better than Sun & Moon's in terms of available clothing
> GOAT-tier OST including tracks such as AZ's Theme and the Bicycle music
> Mega Evolutions and the way how they were presented in the story
> Gen 6 mons while small in amount are great in terms of designs. Gen 5 might have Bisharp and Golurk, but I can think of more Gen 6 mons I'd add to my teams than when it comes to Gen 5
> Regional Dex provides a variety of competitively viable Pokemon.
> Super Training
> Pokemon Amie (including the mini games)
> Friend Safari
> Updated Breeding mechanics
> EXP Share made level grinding more enjoyable. It makes the game piss easy, but you have the option to turn it off.
> Addition of the Fairy-type and nerfing Steel-types (even though Steel-types are my favourite, mind you)
> While the 3D graphics are rather outdated in comparison to Sun & Moon's, it was still good at the time, and the cutscenes are rather memorable
>>
>>30820559
This, even XY are above this
>>
>>30820585
>/vp/ is a hive mind
>>
>>30820954
>To be honest is hard to find people that liked Gen 4 OST

HGSS, sure, but Sinnoh's music is one of the high points of its games, especially with its day/night variations (I'm very glad SM brought it back). Eterna City, Route 216, Route 228, the Bike theme, the Game Corner theme, really the only thing about Sinnoh's music that I don't care for are its battle themes.

I also think Gen V has at the very least fantastic instrument choices. Songs like Driftveil City and Lentimas Town are super memorable to me for their instruments alone, and I love both versions of Opelucid City. It felt like Game Freak really mastered the DS sound system and used it to its full potential compared to Gen IV, like what Gen II does to Gen I.

If I were to rank the OSTs, it would go
II > V > IV > III > VII > I >VI

I've always really loved how the Game Boy sounds in general, and Gen I is still great musically, but I just feel Pokémon consistently has great music and something needs to be near the bottom. I started with Gen I/II (got the games at about the same time) and Gen II's soundtrack enamors me enough for me to do custom songs in it, especially the relative breadth of instruments possible with its waveform selection. Songs like National Park and the Surf theme make the best use of it.

I also think Gen III's music has a strong identity due to its instruments (you can hate the trumpets but I think there are songs that use them to great effect like Route 104); ORAS had some good remixes here or there but I feel a lot of its OST loses a lot of subtle touches from RSE.

Gen VI's musical identity just doesn't light a spark in me. The instruments are pretty sometimes but I don't feel anything from most compositions. Laverre is probably the best song in the game but even that doesn't compare to my favorites from most other Gens.
>>
>>30821026
>Character customization that is better than Sun & Moon's in terms of available clothing
I don't know if you played as a girl or something, but I played as a boy in both games and hated XY's shitty customization, while I was able to get something I felt was good from SM.
>>
>>30821130
Actually, I should amend that a bit. I didn't hate XY's customization, but it just didn't have anything in it that I liked. I had almost exactly the vanilla male outfit for the entirety of the game because I would check the shops and not see anything that looked better than what I owned.

Only thing it did better than SM for the males is the fact that you can wear long pants instead of being stuck with shorts.
>>
>>30820954
Gen 4 OST gets praised here all the time, for good reason. Gen 5 is not as rampant but its around too
>>
File: black-white.jpg (44KB, 469x210px) Image search: [Google]
black-white.jpg
44KB, 469x210px
>>30820559
Wrong.
>>
>>30821168
Fucking this. Hated these game so much. I appreciate the effort into making no Pokemon from past gens available till the end, but FUCK I hated the designs of almost every single one of these pokemon. Only a few were salvageable.
>>
File: well shit.jpg (11KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
well shit.jpg
11KB, 400x267px
I never thought the Zelda cycle applied to Pokemon, but this thread is proving me wrong,
>>
>>30821130
>>30821144
I played as a guy in the games, and I really miss the absence of long pants, jackets and an actual red cap in Sun & Moon. Sure, it's Alola but if Cynthia can rock there with a furcoat, why shouldn't I be able to wear a jacket then?

Also Sun & Moon's clothing is largely pattern-heavy, which I personally dislike immensely.
>>
File: ruby-sapphire.jpg (82KB, 470x235px) Image search: [Google]
ruby-sapphire.jpg
82KB, 470x235px
I know a huge chunk of /vp/ loves it, because it's their first Pokemon game and people no longer care that Pokemon constantly rehashes itself, but compared to Gold/Silver this was so disappointing.
>>
>>30820478
XY were good though, and only the contrarians in this board who hate everything hate them.

Are they perfect? Fuck no. But they're better than SM is in almost every aspect. And I love SM to boot.
>>
>>30821632
>and only the contrarians in this board who hate everything hate them.

What about people who like just about every game but XY? I personally enjoyed every game except DP, XY, and ORAS.
>>
File: image.png (177KB, 501x506px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
177KB, 501x506px
>>30821168
>>
>>30820478
Yes, I agree, but Gen 1 and 3 are pretty close.
>>
>>30821632
Shitting on XY is the cool thing to do even outside this board. The real contrarians are ppl like you who say XY are better than SM.
>>
>>30821657
ORAS also did not deserve the amount of hate they got. Should they have had the Battle Frontier and the other Emerald version improvements? Yes. Were they actively bad? No, and they did a lot of great stuff like the DexNav that we probably won't see again for another several generations.

DP can burn in a goddamn fire though, those games are slower than most of the Alolan dex.

>>30821338
I can understand why you would think that (not letting people transfer Pokemon over from Gen 2 was probably the single biggest mistake Game Freak ever did in the history of the franchise), but RS weren't that bad at the time (although these days why the fuck would you play them when Emerald and ORAS exist is beyond me; that old font sucks so hard).
>>
>>30821702
Stop making stuff up.

I'm not saying XY were drastically better than SM anyways, they're both really good and if you say SM is better than XY I can accept your opinion. I just find XY better than SM.
>>
>>30821710
ORAS did some things right like Dexnav but I feel it deserves all the hate it gets. I feel it's worse than Emerald in every aspect but having the battle engine improvements of Gen IV onward, a few new features like Dexnav that improve the experience, and the characters being written better (as long as you ignore Zinnia being so horribly written that it undoes everything good in that department; I like to pretend that character doesn't exist though) with May and Wally both having better arcs than in RSE and the villains getting fleshed out.

The locations are worse due to some areas like New Mauville and Granite Cave getting butchered and others like Mt. Pyre and the Trick House getting cut down in less severe ways, the handholding is worse and the gift Lati@s is insulting, they removed features that were in RS like the Game Corner and Safari Game (inb4 "I personally don't care about those so the game is objectively better with features removed!"), and some people may disagree with me but I believe the music is worse. Not having the Emerald additions and improvements severely hurts the games like you said, and soaring is overrated (there's nothing wrong with it but I just see no point in using a slower version of Fly unless you're explicitly travelling to a place that can only be accessed via soaring). Add the slap in the face that was "Battle Frontier coming soon!" with the Maison in the place the Tower should be and literally everything about the Delta Episode and I lose all sympathy for ORAS and can only lament that we lost our chance to get a good Hoenn remake for the next twenty years because of this game's existence.
>>
All Pokemon games are bad.

Except Snap.
>>
Even as a fan of ORAS I can't say it's not a disappointment. I love it anyway but when even Safari Zone doesn't make it in properly you know there's a problem. I don't know why it was even released in such a state.

>No Game Corner or replcement
>No Frontier
>New Mauville essentially removed
>Contests simplified

It's in many ways actually WORSE than Emerald.
At least Haruka was waifu tier
>>
>>30820585
The only thing vp loves is asserting its made up hate, because faggots think they'll evolve into edgelord master race if they repeat "worst", "hate" and "kill yourself" 666 times. In truth folks here like everything pokemon related, even crap like those paint by numbers pc programs.
>>
>>30821760
Game Corner removal was to be expected: there's a reason there hasn't been one since Gen 4, and that's because Europe banned gambling in kids games (see: why we got Voltorb Flip in HGSS). Also, while I do get what you are saying about the Safari Zone's mechanics being removed, FUCK. THE. SAFARI. ZONE. MECHANICS. Just letting me catch things normally and not have to worry about a shiny showing up and running away is a godsend.

Soaring was nice because it was basically Fly on a key item rather than a Pokemon; you didn't need to drag around a Pokemon with Fly anymore.

There's no excuse for what happened to New Mauville though, agreeing with you there.

I do find it kind of funny in the "what are you doing" way how GF keeps refusing to bring back the Battle Frontier but keeps calling back to it anyways. Maybe DP remakes will get it right this time?

And, as you said, the main plot was much better. Team Magma and Aqua were no longer the biggest laughingstocks of evil teams in the series, Brendan/May were no longer the worst rivals ever, and Wally's transformation in postgame into a Smogonfag still cracks me up (excuse me while I throw out almost my entire team in favor of stuff like Garchomp and Smogonbird). Delta Episode definitely had some serious issues outside of the climax though.

I'm not saying ORAS are top-tier games, those remain Emerald (although holy shit going back to before the physical/special split and before all those quality of life improvements existed is basically impossible these days), Platinum/HGSS, and B2W2 (just for the postgame). I'm just saying they don't deserve the "WORST GAMES EVER" rap they frequently get.
>>
>>30821724
>Being this much in denial
>>
>>30821878
>Game Corner removal was to be expected
Still a problem with the game, expected or not.

>I'm just saying they don't deserve the "WORST GAMES EVER" rap they frequently get.

I think ORAS are okay. The only game I call shit, that I don't just remove from my thoughts due to being replaced by better games (I don't think about DP since Platinum is just a better DP), is XY. But Pokémon games are usually a lot better than just "okay."
>>
>>30821026
Cutting out the fluff

> GOAT-tier OST including tracks such as AZ's Theme and the Bicycle music
Yeah...can't agree with this. Bike theme is great tho so I won't deny that
> Mega Evolutions and the way how they were presented in the story
You mean how the stock lucario trainer gives you a free lucario? Then you go to mega lucario tower and have a mega battle with both lucarios...yeah deep stuff.
> Regional Dex provides a variety of competitively viable Pokemon.
I won't say I disagree but the majority of the regional dex was kanto pokemon...
>>
>>30821760
>>30821878
An extra gripe I have with ORAS is that it was nigh-impossible to not be overleveled. I turned off the exp share, started AVOIDING trainers (when I like to actively seek them) and rotated 8 mons yet I was always several levels above every trainer and leader in the game until I reached the league and only Steven overleveled ME (and I'm not even sure if it was the first go or the rematch).

The game treating me like an idiot with all those warps and the aforementioned free latis didn't help either.

What I find most unforgiveable is that the remake is NOT better than the games it remakes, not by its own merits at least. Add how high HGSS set the bar for remakes (really, what was with this? It only fucked up a couple character designs, the ferry and the lack of special evolutiuon sites) and you get the pit of hate that ORAS is.
>>
>>30821878
>Also, while I do get what you are saying about the Safari Zone's mechanics being removed, FUCK. THE. SAFARI. ZONE. MECHANICS. Just letting me catch things normally and not have to worry about a shiny showing up and running away is a godsend
That's still no excuse. Sure the usual mechanics are shit but making it into just another route is utter crap. There's no Safari GAME there. Start with the fee and step limit, continue with other side mechanics to make pokémon easier or harder to find/capture.
Even HG/SS tried to bring it back with some new mechanics (even if they were ultimately crap). ORAS has no excuse.
>>
>>30822003
>the ferry

What happened to the ferry in HGSS?
>>
>>30821956
>I won't say I disagree but the majority of the regional dex was kanto pokemon...
While Kanto was indeed the larget group with 110, Hoenn having 79 and Unova 78 isn't something to sneer at. There's more than enough from every region and even having a number advantage didn't raise Kanto much above the rest (that happening would be due to their starters and legendaries being forced in, rather than overall quantity)
>>
>>30821956
> You mean how the stock lucario trainer gives you a free lucario? Then you go to mega lucario tower and have a mega battle with both lucarios...yeah deep stuff.

I was more thinking of how there was this emphasis on the bond between trainer and Pokemon to undergo Mega Evolution and the way how that is reflected in the Lucario liking you -- even though, yes it is contrived and I rather wanted to see the story arc warped in a way that it centers around your second starter (i.e. the Kanto one). Then there's also how Mega Evolutions are linked to AZ's backstory and there is a contrast between you and Lysandre when it comes to invoking Mega Evolution which is pretty interesting (he used a device after all).
Was it SUPER deep? Fuck no, but I liked it regardless.

> I won't say I disagree but the majority of the regional dex was kanto pokemon...

I suppose, but you also got Scizor, Bisharp, Golurk, Garchomp, Tyranitar, Aggron, Azumarill, Espeon, Umbreon, Gliscor, Krookodile and Granbull to name a few.
>>
>>30822065
Nothing major. In GSC, every time you enter the ferry you can rechallenge every trainer. In HG/SS you can't (and there isn't much of a reason to do now that you can rechallenge leaders and stuff) but it IS something that was lost in the remake.

Although on second thought, I should count the game corner too. Not so much because of the law interfering but because voltorb flip was utter crap and they took away the possibility of purchasing coins... which is on the localization department since the Japànese version did feature a proper game corner albeit without the card flip game from gen II so I guess it's still a miniloss

That I have to nitpick HG/SS flaws so much while the ones from ORAS are blatant and obvious, however, makes my point.
>>
>>30822250
>(he used a device after all)
What was with that shit anyway? Did he really need all that creepy stuff? I guess it's in Team Flare's DNA to be tacky and have no style.
>>
>>30820731
Is that also how /mlp/ operates?
>>
File: 1480145874924.jpg (43KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1480145874924.jpg
43KB, 500x500px
>>30822257
Jap HGSS didn't have card flip? That's sad, I guess we really did get the better deal with Voltorb Flip, I always prefered card flip to the slots.

I don't get why people don't like Voltorb Flip, it's basically Picross+Minesweeper and both of those things are great individually.
>>
>>30821760
>The locations are worse due to some areas like New Mauville and Granite Cave getting butchered and others like Mt. Pyre and the Trick House getting cut down in less severe ways
Not true. Granite Cave wasn´t butchered. It is as big, or bigger, than the original RSE version.
New Mauville has been made a bit smaller, but not that much. What makes it look smaller are the removed puzzle doors.
Mt. Oyre loses 2 floors (it was 6 floors in RSE, 4 floors in ORAS), but the first and second floors in ORAS are bigger than they were in RSE, which makes up for the former decrease in floors. To add tto this, exploring the place is now obligatory, while it wasn´t in RSE.
Trick House: I agree about the Trick House puzzles (8 in RSE, 6 in ORAS), but that is not a case of decreased region size, rather than just having less missions, which are one time only missions, that cannot be repeated anyway.

Those, combined with the lak of few Emerald exclusive locations (Mirage Tower, Desert Underpass and Artisan Cave, etc) are still a lot LESS than the areas that ORAS added or increased (38 new mirage spot islands, Secret Isle, Secret Shore, Secret Meadow, new underwater routes, Scrched Slab with 3 more floors to explore over RSE, Sea Mauville being bigger than RSE Ship, a New Berry Growing Location behind Berry Masters House, etc)
>>
Pokemon Black and White almost made me quit the series
>>
>>30820490
What are you trying to imply?
>>
>>30822284
It's kinda good if you like the game and you want to play it for the game itself.
It's utter shit when you need to grind 9999 coins for that fucking porygon. Hence why my complaint wasn't so much about voltorb flip as it was about the lack of a coin seller.
>>
>>30821168
Hated this shit.
>never played it
>finally buy it a few weeks ago
>trying to play the game
>story keeps interrupting
>every time you go anywhere, some barely relevant character is ready with tons of dialogue

>people complain about all the cutscenes in SM but praise BW when it's the exact same thing
I just want to battle and catch pokemon. Stop shoving the fucking story down my throat.
>>
DP were the worst ones with garbage mon diversity in terms of types and availability as well as being slow as fuck.
>>
>>30820487
4 is written as IV anon, not V
>>
pokemon pizza & pasta version when?
featuring italy
>>
>>30822308
Maybe RPGs aren't your genre anon.
>>
>>30822300
Oh, that's understandable then.

>>30822294
I'm calling Granite Cave butchered for reducing the mandatory parts to two rooms, and locking the rest of it, including Pokémon like Sableye, behind a mach bike slope forcing you to backtrack if you want to see it.

>New Mauville has been made a bit smaller
Literally everything that makes it interesting has been removed and it's just two squares, man.
>>
>>30822308
At least the cutscenes in SM are somewhat interesting.

And hey, gotta love how BW's path is so linear than even the map itself is a single line. Or how every roadblock in the game is basically a random NPC telling you to speak with another NPC until the garbodor sleeping on the road (which you can't see) is out of the way.

>>30822338
Who plays pokémon because they want another RPG?
>>
>>30822338
Gen I, Gen II, Gen III, and Gen IV were nothing like that. For whatever reason, GameFreak went full retard with the story in BW and SM. I enjoy RPGs. But I expect my pokemon game to be a pokemon game, not a story-heavy RPG with cutscenes everywhere. It felt like every time I went anywhere in BW, some fuck was lurking around the corner waiting to give me some dialogue for a plot that I'm going to forget two weeks after I beat the Elite Four and begin building a living Dex.
>>
>>30822354
>It felt like every time I went anywhere in BW, some fuck was lurking around the corner waiting to give me some dialogue
This reminds me that every time I pick up my old BW games for whatever reason, I always end up dashing in a hurry before a low level breeder and BAM, mandatory pointless battle.
>>
File: 1447381003513.png (135KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1447381003513.png
135KB, 250x250px
>>30822338
>there's no such thing as RPGs that don't swamp you with cutscenes
>>
File: New_Mauville.png (508KB, 1340x711px) Image search: [Google]
New_Mauville.png
508KB, 1340x711px
>>30822294
>New Mauville has been made a bit smaller, but not that much. What makes it look smaller are the removed puzzle doors.
Dude, you can't base how "big" (or fun/interesting since it's why it matters) a place is based solely on tile count. New Mauville was butchered from an interesting maze into one big room with several items.
With a giant staircase teasing you about what could have been but wasn't.

And boy do I wish those 38 mirage islands were a fraction as interesting as Battle Frontier (as much as I hate victory streak based gameplay).
>>
>>30820559
This is correct.

>>30822308
Pokémon might not be for you anymore, man. It's clear this is the direction they're going in now.
>>
>>30821760
>the handholding is worse and the gift Lati@s is insulting
Except it is not an objective flaw with the game, just something you personally don´t enjoy, like most of the edgelords around here.
>they removed features that were in RS like the Game Corner and Safari Game (inb4 "I personally don't care about those so the game is objectively better with features removed!"),
No true either,
Mauville Game Corner was forbiddent for every Pokemon game ever after Gen IV ended. And on top of that, TMs, which were the main priz in the Mauville Game Corner in RSE have been reusable ever since BW, which made the Game Corner even more redundant in ORAS (TMs were still one time use only in HGSS)
Furthermore, it is not true that nothing was added instead, either. Mauville Game Corner was, along with the Gym and the Bike Shop, the only recognizable place in Mauville in RSE. In ORAS, the entire City is much bigger and has a lot more content overall, which make up for the closed Casino, like the Food Court, for example, or the Inverse Battle Shop, or any of the many other shops.
Safari Zone: the Safari Zone is still in ORAS. But you criticize the "removal" of the Safari Game. Well, the DexNav game (aka sneaking) is the ORAS equivalent of the Safari Zone function anyway, so you literally have abetter replacement for the "classic" Safari Game, and it happense around the entire region now, as opposed to just the old Safari Zone, and furthermore, the Mirage Spots serve as an expansion to the RSE Safari Zone as well in terms of catching foreign Pokemon)

You not liking the music and Soaring is entirely subjective, but most people love them.

As for the "Battle Frontier coming soon!", this is yet an other incorrect statement of your´s... It is just a reference to Emerald, just like battling Wallace´s Champion team from Emerald in Delta Episod, just like how Steven tells Wallace he want´s him to take his place as Champion SOMEDAY, but NOT YET.

>>30821808
See above.
>>
>>30822250
>bond between trainer and Pokemon to undergo Mega Evolution and the way how that is reflected in the Lucario liking you

I always found this part weird. Storywise mega evos are supposed to be a deep bond of trust...then this fucker just comes along and loves the shit out of the MC for no damn reason...and proceed to beat korrina and her lucario who should in theory have a much better connection. It's hilariously unbelievable.
>>
>>30820478
That's not gen 1.
>>
>>30822481
>then this fucker just comes along and loves the shit out of the MC for no damn reason
Well, lucario specifically has this covered with their aura-reading stuff. At the very least they know if they can trust you (and I think latios and latias had something about telepathy?).
It's still quite awkward and forced, but not as bad as if it had been another random species.
>>
>>30822300
That makes sense for a complain, but as just an international change it makes sense it wasn't perfect

Iirc the TM for captivate was in the Nip release only, they forgot to put it in
>>
>>30822352
>so linear that it's a single line

The complaint is that's a circle

Quite literally the opposite of linear :^)
>>
>>30820478
Fuck no. Sun/Moon made me miss PSS.
>>
File: no thanks.jpg (138KB, 693x693px) Image search: [Google]
no thanks.jpg
138KB, 693x693px
>>30820547
>>god tier ost
>>
>>30822473
It shows GF's changed mindset about how dumb kids are nowadays

And removed hunting down a roaming legendary, the hardest ones to find/capture
>>
>>30822352
>Who plays pokémon because they want another RPG?
People who like monster raising RPGs?
You didn't think pokemon was the only one did you?
>>
>>30822544
It also made me miss the menu on the touch screen as bad as BW did.
And what happened to the "press X to close all menus" shortcut? If you're checking the location of a pokémon in the pokédex, it's a lot of B pressing until you can resume playing.
>>
File: how about no.gif (283KB, 500x340px) Image search: [Google]
how about no.gif
283KB, 500x340px
>>30821026
> While the 3D graphics are rather outdated in comparison to Sun & Moon's, it was still good at the time

They were REALLY weak for 3DS games.
>>
>>30822369
That's BW2.
>>
>>30822575
At least the framerate wasn't as ass as Sun & Moon's.
>>
>>30822565
Remeber when you could auto run in HGSS?
>>
Somebody please write a lewd fanfic about me and Grimsley!
>>
File: why.png (251KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
why.png
251KB, 500x375px
>>30820547
>god tier ost
>>
>>30822587

S/M don't have horde battles anymore though. You've all forgotten what a slideshow those fuckers were.
>>
>>30821808
>Contests simplified
Just so you know there's no difference between the RSE contests and ORAS ones. Both have the sane mechanics.
As it stands the only simplified version is the gen 4 one.

Pokeblocks sure because the sheen mechanic served no purpose other than to fuck the player over when they're playing solo.
>>
>>30822284
Jap game also had Money -> Coins change.
>>
>>30820559
Platinum redeemed the Gen. As a whole Gen, X and Y are worse.
>>
>>30820478
Tell me how they're worse than gen 1
>>
>>30822610
Horde battles run about as fast as totem battles on an O3DS.
>>
>>30822588
>accesible menu gone
>auto run gone
>item categories fused into one massive clusterfuck
>region annoying to traverse despite being light on HMs
As much as I'm grateful with faster battles and the menu closing shortcut, they really fucked up.
>>
File: exploding doorhinges.jpg (84KB, 400x994px) Image search: [Google]
exploding doorhinges.jpg
84KB, 400x994px
3>4>=5>7>2>6>1

7 has a very high chance of rising depending on the third version/DP remakes/whatever.
>>
>>30822617
Eh, Platinum didn't fix the important stuff so it's still very much a 5/10 gen at best.
In any case OP said game not gen, nothing can save DP.
>>
File: aku_no_troll.jpg (26KB, 276x366px) Image search: [Google]
aku_no_troll.jpg
26KB, 276x366px
Gen 1 was bad
Gen 2 was even worse
Gen 3 rse was good
Gen 3 frlg was bad
Gen 4 dp was above average
Gen 4 pt was good
Gen 4 hgss was even worse than gen 2
Gen 5 bw was below average
Gen 5 b2w2 was great
Gen 6 xy was meh
Gen 6 oras was good (inb4 muh battle frontier)
Gen 7 is great
This is objective
>>
>>30822640
>HGSS worse than GSC
Literally fucking how?
>>
>>30822588
Never used it personally.
Holding B is far more convenient.
>>
>>30822640
>Gen 4 hgss was even worse than gen 2

Absolute fucking garbage taste.
>>
File: 084.png (298KB, 600x512px) Image search: [Google]
084.png
298KB, 600x512px
>>30822650
how
>>
>>30822611
>Pokeblocks sure because the sheen mechanic served no purpose other than to fuck the player over when they're playing solo
Bullshit. I had no problem getting contest-ready mons as long as I planned for it a bit instead of force-feeding them cheap candies untill all their stats were maxed out (they probably should have treated it like EVs though: make them consume certain berries to decrease contest stats and sheen).

But in the end, a good part of the challenge from contests in RSE stems from how limited movesets were so you really had to plan carefully and find goos combos and strategies. When you have three more generations worth of movepool plus one hundred reusable TMs, finding a competent moveset is trivial.

They should have made contests wi-fi compatible for that extra challenge, but it's nothing new for GF to fuck up should-be wi-fi features with local only limitations.
>>
>>30822645
>fixed nothing
>has the most obnoxious and poorly designed safari zone
>removed the small features that made Johto comfy
>in gen 4
>made time based events 10x more tedious
>>
>>30822349
>I'm calling Granite Cave butchered for reducing the mandatory parts to two rooms, and locking the rest of it, including Pokémon like Sableye, behind a mach bike slope forcing you to backtrack if you want to see it.
>Literally everything that makes it interesting has been removed and it's just two squares, man.
That´s not butchered, though. It is "modified". Yu can like the new ORAS version more, or less, than the original, but I don´t think "butchered" is the word desu

My point was that those locations were nor decreased in size, which is what I thought "butchered" implies.

>>30822417
My point was that those locations haven´t actuall been made smaller, just changed their layout, while maintaining the overall size (and tile count), because I think that is what the other anon was implying.

As for the "inacessible staircase", it is just there for fluff, like literally half of Alola is by the way (locked Golf Course, PowerPlant, Johto Tower, etc). You should not take it as a tease. I mean, in Unova we have Buildings with hundred floors, and the elevator can only take you to 2 or 3 of them LOL, and yet BW/BW2 don´t ever get criticized for that, like ORAS does, which clearly means people here are just biased against ORAS (most of you anyway)

In conclusion, all you people see is what has been removed, and ignore what has been added as a replacement.
>>
>>30822645
>>30822655
>shoehorned arceus event
>doesn't have the stylistic nostalgic art style of gen 2
>didn't fix the level curve
>barely fixed the shitty 'mon distribution of gen 2, but is still shit
>safari zone waiting time
>everything about that phone feature
add to the already existing problems of gen 2

Sucks that >>30822687 already got to explaining before I managed to do it to my own post
>>
>>30822658
I don't know about "convenient", but I know muscle memory made me always press B anyway, so it's not really that big of a loss.

>>30822687
Not to mention boneheaded decisions like making Lugia and Ho-Oh mandatory for no reason even though unlike other legends, there's no justification whatsoever for it.
The Celebi/Giovanni event was fucking awful too, but that's thankfully optional.
>>
File: AAAAAAAAAAA.gif (1MB, 224x168px) Image search: [Google]
AAAAAAAAAAA.gif
1MB, 224x168px
>>30820585
IT'S ALMOST LIKE /vp/ IS COMPOSED OF MORE THAN A SINGLE PERSON
>>
>>30820877
You can't really say DP is better thanks to Platinum though, since XY precisely never had its own Platinum that would make them great. DP in itself was shit too.
I wish we had a Z version. I don't know why GF sacked it
>>
>>30822692
>My point was that those locations haven´t actuall been made smaller

So you're retarded and blind then? How can you say that looking at this image? >>30822417
>>
>>30822639
This
>>
>>30820585
>/vp/ is a hive mind
This meme needs to die.
>>
File: da3.png (91KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
da3.png
91KB, 800x600px
>>30822640
>>
>>30822707
Wait, in what way was confronting Ho-Oh mandatory? After you get the 8th badge, you can simply go to Tohjo Falls or not?

>>30822718
> I wish we had a Z version. I don't know why GF sacked it

Same here, anon. Perhaps they either didn't think they could add much to Kalos (which is fucking bullshit there was a lot of potential to do with Kalos) or releasing Z was for them too soon or too late considering Ash-Greninja and 100% Zygarde got announced around late 2015 to early 2016.
Releasing it in 2015 might have been too early considering the anime, and given the Kalos season was ending around late 2016, bringing out Z would have been too late, so yeah, they went for Sun & Moon instead I suppose.
>>
>>30822683
>as long as I planned for it a bit instead of force-feeding them cheap candies untill all their stats were maxed out
That's the thing, when you're playing solo you can't plan for it due to the horrendous AI. The only time you'll be able to is in Emerald when the master blender shows up seeing as he's designed to get nothing but perfects and use rare berries. The downside being that time based events don't occur when the battery dies so you're left with the dumb blenders.

Also combos weren't exactly a hard thing to come by either especially since there are NPCs that tell you certain ones. As well as the fact that combos are highlighted red when you can do them.
I suppose the "challenge" came from the fact that certain moves like Calm Mind were in limited supply.
>>
Please do not all agree with this while I'm replaying Y
>>
File: 1478263948577.png (211KB, 500x524px) Image search: [Google]
1478263948577.png
211KB, 500x524px
Rankings? haven't played them all...

Emerald was great
Fire red was fun
Black was great and introuced pass powers > o-powers
Black 2 was amazing(memory link and the extra stuff)
X was...very meh but introduced PSS features and making breeding much much better and customization.
ORAS was fun and perfected the foundation that X laid for breeding and dexnav existing
Moon is great and improved breeding even more with the PC judge and being able to deposit eggs now

I'm not a fan of XY...but I won't ever deny that it didn't introduced great features.
>>
>>30820478
Hoenn games are
>>
>>30822756
>After you get the 8th badge, you can simply go to Tohjo Falls or not?

Not in HG/SS, no. You can faint it and come back later, but you need to go to the Tin Tower/Whirl Islands (the latter being much more of a pain) before you can progress.
>>
>>30822636
>make menu-closing less obnoxious
>have a proper hall of fame
>construction sites actually have something other than being a gigantic tease
>clothes system back to XY way (with dresser returning to pokemon cneters)
>Festival Plaza returning to the Join Avenue system
>PSS completely unlinked from Festival Plaza
>guests in Festival Plaza actually loading
>seriously fuck Festival Plaza
>reintroduce triple and rotatory battles
>create a battle facility that doesn't suck balls
>or at the very least drop that "win 20 times to unlock super battles" bullshit already
>either remove the level 100 requirement for hyper training or introduce actual grinding places
>give us the extra 8 box wallpapers
>introduce the cut out trials
>have instructions that actually detail the winning criteria for battle royales
>introduce a way to stop SOS battles altogether
It's not much, so they can actually do it!
>>
>>30822719
Similar overall size. Simila amount of tiles.
RSE had a chain of mini rooms, ORAS has 2 big rooms.
>>
>>30822687
>removed the small features that made Johto comfy
For instance?
>>
>>30822718
>I don't know why GF sacked it
Same reason why so many parts of S&M are unfinished: they wanted to rush a brand new game that panders to gen1 harder in time for the 20th anniversary.
>>
>>30822802
All that and no better pokédex that's not dominated by genwun shit? That's by far my main gripe with S/M. At least make the actual new mons not rare encounters, for fuck's sake.
National dex would be nice too. As it stands I have zero motivation to actually go after the island scan mons.
>>
>>30822817
For one sleeping wild pokemon. Also made catching pokemon at different times less of a chore
>>
the gen 1 games and diamond and pearl are pretty bad
>>
>>30822617
That doesn't change the fact that Diamond and Pearl exist and where a chore to play
>>
>>30822834
The sad thing is that they could have had a side team of mooks just make a Z for that year we didn't have a game. I mean it doesn't take a rocket scientist to add some new shit and fine tune the game.
>>
>>30822838
Oh right, I forgot about rotom.
I mean, I was going to mention the touch screen actually being useful instead of the worse-than-BW piece of shit it is now, but if the switch to Switch is real, that won't matter anymore.
So I discarded everything about the rotomdex, including all that Kanto stuff and the obnoxiously monotone edgy entries.
The pokédex telling you when a pokémon can ONLY appear in a SOS battle would also be a great help. I spent two hours looking for a pikachu until I learned that SOS-exclusives were a thing.
>>
>>30822834
I don't care for the pandering...but I'll admit sun and moons gen 1 pandering is much less obnoxious than XY
>>
>>30820706
>XY did a lot of things right in the QoL department, to the point where I'm absolutely baffled at the backsteps SM has taken.
Welcome to pokemon, enjoy your stay
>>
>>30822892
Thing is pokemon doesn't usually remove big game changers like that. This is a first.
>>
>>30820478
>>30820487
I like gen V and gen VI games. In fact, I enjoyed XY more than SM
>>
>>30820478
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha I bet you love gen 5 though
>>
>>30822911
Something something single screen switch preparation...but even then the sane thing they could have done was made an "Online" menu icon dedicated to GTS/Wonder Trade/Battle spot instead of forcing it into festival plaza
>>
Nah, they are pretty good in retrospect. SM is objectively a step back in every field.
>>
>>30822890
>but I'll admit sun and moons gen 1 pandering is much less obnoxious than XY
Don't you mean it the other way around? What with Alolan forms being Kanto-exclusive, Kanto being the only place where immigrants come from, Kanto being the only plausible place in the world to go and Red and Green being the only champions that matter.
Oh, and charizard for flying instead of a bird that you can actually find in Alola.

>>30822911
Well, I'd say that what HG/SS did with the touch screen is pretty big yet it was completely scrapped when BW came (and BW2 which didn't have the "paralel developement" excuse).
While minor yet annoying things like the removal of item pockets and how Battle Whatever works now reamins forever.
>>
>>30822761
> Replaying Y
I am gonna do that soon too, anon. I want to relive my adventures in Kalos one more time as the Pokebank update approaches -- but for now I want to tie the knots with my current Y-bros.
>>
>>30822957
It's amazing how much of a mess Festival Plaza is. They managed to take two great features (and a not-so-great one) and make every single aspect of them far worse than the originals (save for guests NOT being replaced by NPCs each day this time around).
Sophocles is a hack. No wonder he needs to keep Molayne around.
>>
>>30822958
>SM is objectively a step back in every field.
Eh I'll bite

Online? Sure
Main game? no
Characters? no
Rivals? no
"champion"? no
Elite four? no
Egg hatching?....Debatable
Post game? Debetable
Music? No/Debatable
HMs vs Pokerides? Hell fucking no
Music? Heck no but that's subjective
Challenge? no
Fashon? Yep.
No post game grinding area? yep
>>
>>30821338
THIS
>>
Gsc/dp are worse
>>
>>30822807

Tilecount doesn't mean shit, we've gone from 9 rooms with branching paths and teleporter puzzles to two rooms with literal fucking nothing,
>>
>>30822980
I like festival plaza...now that people figured out how to exploit the heck out of it ingame so I can grind coins much more easily without grinding on those dang missions
>>
>People backpedaling on X/Y and claiming they're better than S/M

Every

Single

Gen
>>
>>30820559
This along with BW + BW2.
Complete garbage.
>>
>>30820727
No, you just have shit taste.
>>
>>30820547
Only two ost was godtier, sycamore's theme and Laverre City. The rest was trash
>>
>>30820794
If we're talking based on spinoffs, then Gen 5 is by far the worst one, it's only remotely good one is Conquest and even then SMD, the only good one in Gen 6, absolutely shits on it.
>>
>>30820559
Bibarel invasion
>>
>>30821710
>not letting people transfer Pokemon over from Gen 2 was probably the single biggest mistake Game Freak ever did in the history of the franchise
To be fair it was less GF not doing it and more that you literally couldn't connect the two gens because of the GBAs hardware.
>>
>>30821702
Nice delusion, faggot. Most people love XY, which is why SM has taken more elements from Gen 6 (and genwun of course) than any other generation.
>>
>>30822997
>Elite four? no
On this note, it's disappointing that after trying to be different the final stage it's the exact same thing as always. Just without the proper lobby. And with the Hall of Fame being a sucky NPC.
But I can't complain about title defense since that's a feature that should have been a thing since GSC.
>Post game? Debetable
I guess it's content vs annoyance, isn't it?
UB quest was way better than "Looker adopts an orphan and proceeds to abandon her" and there were actual post-game areas (at the expense of Poni feeling barren).
On the other hand, the trivial ways to grind levels and IVs from XY are gone and the Battle Tree isn't better than the Battle Maison, which was already a damn low bar.
>>
>>30823238
SMD is gen 6.
You're thinking of GTI.

Also I'd say that it's still better than Gen 4. Especially since they didn't release the Ranch update overseas and didn't attempt anything with BR.
>>
>>30822974
I'm doing it because I played it when it first dropped but truthfully I didn't remember anything about it other than it was PokeFrance and there was an eternal giant.
>>
>>30823293
My bad misread the part about dungeon.
>>
File: 13.png (320KB, 610x364px) Image search: [Google]
13.png
320KB, 610x364px
>>30820478
If Pokemon Z even was a thing and explored all the mysterious shit vanilla XY didn't let us it'd be amazing.

I still wonder what Couriway had to offer regarding the train station, the power plant we never got to fully explore with the "background" stuff not possible to access. The whole Kalos map had lots of uncharted areas that could of become new towns/cities like how B2/W2 expanded with new locations that were not even known of in BW.

Another thing, maybe Zygarde wouldn't had become a zen mode gimmick if its titular game actually happened.

I can imagine the whole cell and core collecting during the main story of a "Z" game, along with your friends Shauna & Co trying to help you and the story reaches the climax with Lysandre trying to use Xerneas and Yveltal, where Yveltal gonna do the genocide stuff, while Xernes gonna make Team Flare and co immortal so that his view of beauty or whatever his vision was would succeed, but then Jigarude-san appears n shit and does the typical balancing shit out like in previous 3rd versions. Or whatever game freak would of done with the story :^) :^):^)

I think XY where solid entries, but post-game falls kinda short. I loved the wide expansive dex with over 400 monsters, it made each encounter pretty fresh with older pokemon rarely seen previous trainers from older regions use imo. The PSS system is vastly superior over the plaza stuff in SM :^)
>>
>>30823293
Explorers and Shadows of Almia were pretty great though.Guardian Signs was alright too.

Actually, the spinoffs were Gen 4's strongest point, IMO.
>>
>>30823058
And if it worked like Join Avenue you wouldn't need coins at all, just plain old regular money.
You wouldn't need to save scum like mad to get a high-level facility either.
And Join Avenue probably wouldn't have had you farm so many berries to dye a pair of socks. Maybe. It isn't as grindy as Festival Plaza so I just assume it would ask for way less items (or for none at all)
>>
>>30823328
>I can imagine the whole cell and core collecting during the main story of a "Z" game,
Nah make it a post game thing.
>>
>>30823342
That reminds me, can you do the Plaza offline?
>>
>>30823342
I know but you have to make the best of a bad situation with most of GFs bonehead decisions...
>>
>>30823348
Would probably fit with a B2/W2 twist, where you only get the cover legend after the main story.

Would then be amazing to summon Perfect Zygarde by having Xerneas and Yveltal in the party or something.

After catching it you get the Zygarde Cube so that you can access the different forms, though from a level standpoint or whatever, it'd be kinda in revers due to the immense power differences between doggo, snek and mechagarde, though all I want is to actually keep Zygarde Complete as it is and let it keep Aura Break.
>>
>>30823348
>game about zygarde
>can't start getting to zygarde until post-game
Although if the first 50 cells were story-related, netting you dogarde halfways through the game and complete form at the story climax, leaving the hunt for the last 50 for the post-game... it could work nicely.

>>30823337
I don't remember much about Shadows of Almia, other than being easy, slow and boring as well as excessively long (maybe because of the academy stuff) while Guardian Signs felt much more fresh and fun to play.
But ultimately both were gen 4 games. I too miss all those quality spin-offs.

>>30823359
As in collecting points and facilities? Yes, but yield would be much more lower, you can't do festival missions and your guests barely rotate, so the possibility of getting a cool facility is greatly reduced.
>>
>>30823049
>Muh opinion is FACT!
Yeah, fuck off.

Also, there were no teleporting puzzles in RSE. It was just an open door/close door button puzzle.

But the fact remains: ORAS New Mauville is not smaller than RSE New Mauville. Plus, there is the added functionality of Evolving Nosepass, etc in ORAS, as well as DexNaving for Voltorbs, etc
>>
>>30820559
I don't understand the /vp/ hivemind.
Platinum "saved gen 4".
"Gen 5 is the best."
"Muh PWT"
"The P O S T G A M E"

Aren't you tired of repeat the opinion of other anon and being unable to think by yourself?

Pearl and diamond where fine and introduced a lot of great features, i can't say the same for gen 5 since it's where i dropped the franchise at the time.

If anybody has the archive of the time gen 5 was released that would be great, i am tired of seeing the same opinion on board of supposed "anon" that gives unfiltered opinion about things.
>>
>>30823468
Black 2/White 2 did that with Kyurem though, along with Reshiram/Zekrom.

Now if only Z actually was a thing I don't think Zygarde would of had Power Construct as its ability, but rather just keep Aura Break and with the Cube you actually get to decide what form you want to use, at least I wish this was the case in SM.
>>
>>30823468
>your guests barely rotate

This can be a good thing actually.

>run around and talk to people in the plaza
>get their coins
>try to connect to the internet
>when it changes from saving data, flip the wifi switch and soft
reset
>Head back to the plaza and you can talk to the same people again while keeping your previous coin gained

If you can get the right fortune from a tent you can increase your payout even more
>>
>>30823468
>>game about zygarde
>>can't start getting to zygarde until post-game
I was thinking more along the lines of capturing a power construct 50% during the story and having the ability activate automatically during the final Lysandre battle and having the full 100% be unlocked by collecting the other 50 cells in the post game.
>>
>>30823514
Hey anon...I'll just name 2 things BW did that improved the series overall

Infinite TMs
EVs after hitting level 100

Very small changes that made a huge difference
>>
I think so.
>>
>>30823505
>But the fact remains: ORAS New Mauville is not smaller than RSE New Mauville
Repeating it won't make it true.
And being bigger (which it isn't) wouldn't be make it nearly as interesting as its previous incarnation.
>Plus, there is the added functionality of Evolving Nosepass, etc in ORAS, as well as DexNaving for Voltorbs, etc
Which would have also happened with a non-butchered New Mauville.

ORAS were kinda fine games that added some very interesting features but they were awful remakes.
>>
>>30823505
>ORAS New Mauville is not smaller than RSE New Mauville

It's objectively smaller and your autism about "m-muh tilecount" does not change that fact.
>>
>>30823514
But that IS my honest opinion. I never really left, but Gen IV was when I actually considered dropping the franchise. Gen V saved it for me.

I don't give a fuck if that aligns me with the "hivemind" or whatever, I'm no hipster.

>huurr unable to think for yourself
What a shit-eater.
>>
>>30820478

The dust isn't going to fucking settle until the series officially ends.

Stop with this shit OP.
>>
>>30823514
>Pearl and diamond where fine and introduced a lot of great features
Such as?
I mean, there's the split but that's about it.
>>
>>30823577
That's like saying a 5x5 square is smaller than another 5x5 square that has been separated into 4m
>>
>>30823578

B/W almost made me drop the franchise it was so bad, and I skipped B2/W2 completely. I never would have picked it back up again if X/Y hadn't made so many radical changes to pull me back in.
>>
>>30823600
>muh tilecount
>>
>>30820954
OST is what I enjoyed the most in DP, and it's also one of the best for me.
>>
>>30823604
And I believe it. It's almost like it's more that different people look for different things in a pokémon game, and less about being an internet hipster or some shit.
>>
>>30823573
It is a similar size in both ORAS and RSE. It is more challenging in RSE. Both of those are an objective fact.
The RSE versions seems biger, because you have to CONSTANTLY BACKTRACK in order to push buttons that change the doors that open/close. I could agree RSE New Mauville is "more interesting", but it is not bigger than ORAS New Mauville.
>>30823577
But honey, "explorable space" is what determines "size". Stay triggered and keep hating ORAS :)
>>
>>30823652
But when people complain about New Mauville being butchered, nobody counts or really cares about how many individual tiles there are. Doing so as the criteria to evaluate whether it was worsened or not is just nitpicky and obnoxious.
>>
>>30823604
Just to clarify this is not directed at you

>gen make it so you can only find new pokemon during the main game
>people hate it
>recent gens only add a few pokemon mix in witn many old pokemon
>new gen pokemon are harder to find now within the older pokemon
>people hate it
>>
>>30823684
Because they're different people. How is this hard to understand?
>>
>>30823684
I never understood that complaint about Kalos. You have over 400 availiable pokémon, several of them with megaevolutions, there's no fucking way you can't find something you like (and quite probably that you haven't used before).
>>
>>30823699
Like I said that was directed at no one. Just an observation over the years.
>>
>>30823684

I think you've all vastly overcredited gen V's lack of "old Pokemon" as being why people dislike it. The games pushed a really awful story on you that dragged the whole experience down, the region was full of literally straight line paths, and the graphics made people's eyes bleed because they thought zooming in on moving pixel sprites was a good idea.

It's also not so much the fact that "there weren't any old Pokemon" as it was the fact that "most of the NEW Pokemon were terrible". They would have been just as fucking terrible if they filled the routes with old Pokemon as they were when they didn't.
>>
>>30823578
>>30823604
Despite liking DP and HGSS quite a bit, I just didn't feel like Pokemon anymore since it felt very formulaic to me -- I also think it was just a matter of fatigue and getting Pokemon games for the sake of Pokemon and not because there are actual stuff I am really excited to experience.
But then XY came along and all the promises it made got me back in the series. Skipped ORAS but having a blast with SM.

And you know, in retrospect, Gen 4 wasn't that horrible. It made changes for the better, most certainly the physical-special split and I like way more Pokemon (designs) than what Gen 5 seemed to bring to the table. However, DP was so fucking slow and I hated the stronger emphasis on mountains and all.
X&Y might have been dumb-downed and simplistic in a lot of sense, but at least I didn't experience much frustration while playing it, which I can't say the same about the Gen 4 games.

>>30823710
People have pointed out to me that the Kalos dex is too much of a clusterfuck because it's a massive chore and very difficult to go through all the mons, finding them and all -- especially compared to the Alola dex. But I find that a weird argument since to me it matters more what the game provides instead of how it is all sorted.
Then again, Sun & Moon can fuck off with its mountain of 1% encounter mons.
>>
>>30823293
But GTI gaves us best boy. You know, the one who hooked up with a legendary at the very end of the game
>>
>>30823736
>The games pushed a really awful story on you that dragged the whole experience down, the region was full of literally straight line paths

...This describes kalos too. if not more
>>
>>30823600
This guy gets it.
>>
>>30820478
>has gyms
>worst
nope.
>>
>>30823736
>and the graphics made people's eyes bleed because they thought zooming in on moving pixel sprites was a good idea.

Gen IV was much, MUCH worse about this

>most of the NEW Pokemon were terrible

this is a bad opinion
>>
>>30823771
Not only that but SM too.
In fact the last two gens have been far more intrusive than BW in all honesty.
>>
File: 1481411431240.png (162KB, 339x361px) Image search: [Google]
1481411431240.png
162KB, 339x361px
>>30820727
>God tier ost
Anon, I'm sure you mean Gen V
>>
>>30820478
Not even close. D/P were worse, B/W were no better, OR/AS were worse

It's too early to say yet but I'd be willing to bet that S/M will be considered worse too before their life cycle is over.
>>
>>30822617
This is also the case for BW. BW2 improved everything about Gen V.

Too bad XY will never get a Z.
>>
>>30823794
>>30823600

Nice samefag.

>>30823802

Gen IV literally did not zoom in on moving pixel sprites.

>bag of trash
>icecream cone
>my little pony
>not-hitmonchan and not-hitmonlee
>gay machamp
>stoner poliwhirl
>goth loli inflatable sexdoll
>not-Tauros
>genies
>genies
>genies

Genies get three mentions for being crimes against humanity.
>>
>>30820727
>>30822559
>>30822602
all me
>>
>>30823678
Again, "butchered" is the wrong word, then. I never discussed whether ORAS New Mauville or RSE New Mauville is the "better" one. I am just defending that ORAS New Mauville is not smaller and hasn´t been butchered size wise.

I did personally prefer the RSE version´s puzzle, but that is subjective, you know. Not everybody likes being blocked by puzzles.

Ans, besides, everything is being made more straightforward in recent Poke games (starting with BW). I just think it is really dumb to be triggered by this. Whoever is triggered by this, shoul immediately leave this franchise, because it is actively been made more straight/easily explorable by the developers for 6 years now. It is not a big deal, as long they are not giving us smaller regions to explore.
>>
>>30823807
>we'll never get an OST as good as Gen 5s again
And on that note
>we'll never get trainer class specific encounter music again
>>
>>30821702
>even outside this board
t. some autist who doesn't go outside
>>
>>30820478
>>30820478
Yes sadly, worst generations episodes, worst and forgettable characters, worst girl companion for ash, they hate Kalos
>>
>>30823847
>>>30823794 (You)
>>>30823600
>Nice samefag.
Not the same guy.
>>
>>30823864
And worst music
>>
>we'll never get an OST as good as Gen 5s again
Sun and moon were a giant step into the right direction after XY.
>we'll never get trainer class specific encounter music again
Hey sun and moon had that...Not many ofcourse but they're there.
>>
>>30823122
Even if I think the main quest in S/M is better than X/Y, PSS is way better than Festival Plaza garbage and it's embarrasing that Gamefreak are so incompetent that they couldn't get it right.
>>
>>30823847
Ignoring all the good mons proves there were no good mons

That's why every gen had universally terrible mon designs
>>
File: 551939f3c3a8c_piero_scaruffi.jpg (7KB, 200x195px) Image search: [Google]
551939f3c3a8c_piero_scaruffi.jpg
7KB, 200x195px
>>30823872
>>30823874
plebs spotted
>>
>>30823876
I can definitely agree with that.

I don't really care too much for multiplayer though.
>>
File: 1481064610022.gif (1MB, 431x424px) Image search: [Google]
1481064610022.gif
1MB, 431x424px
>>30823864
>XY games were "bad"
>XY anime was good
>XY anime got better
>XYZ got amazing
>Throws it all in the trash to make ash lose the league just to keep the status quo after all that hype and bullshit power up frog

Just...
>>
>>30823876

PSS was better than Festival Plaza, but multiplayer shittery isn't enough to make or break an entire game. Kind of like how losing following Pokemon from HG/SS to Gen V wasn't the holocaust people make it out to be.
>>
>>30823893
Gen VI used an objectively worse soundfont than Gen V
>>
>>30821168
You know for all the problems this game has, I could never get over the floating sprites. The rest of the game is trash that I couldn't even finish, but the floating just summed up what a sloppy half baked mess these two games were.
>>
>>30823831
>D/P were worse, B/W were no better, OR/AS were worse
DP yeah they didn't really improve much.

B/W and ORAS however were direct upgrades from their predecessors.
>>
Friend Safari + Hordes >>> SoS chaining.

The times Gen 6 got it right, it knocked everything else out of the park.
>>
Worst mechanics aka mega evolution.. and ash greninja xD
>>
>>30823911
Floating sprites?
Are you sure you're not talking about HG/SS?
>>
>>30820797
This is a great theme. All pokemon games have at least decent OSTs, Masuda is an amazing composer. SM were outstanding in that aspect because not being director gave him more time to make great themes.

My favorites so far are these

>Paniola Town night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl0HgU9iAb4
>Konikoni City night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1WoS015c1w
>Seafolk Village day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxNvOTaEv_E
>>
>>30823920
I do agree with this. DexNav was also great so why the fuck would they scrap those good features?
>>
>>30823909
For XY? sure. I love ORAS ost with gen 6 sound front though. Not to mention Zinnia's theme and that violin<3
>>
>>30823925
but you can't get ash greninja in gen 6 which means it is part of gen 7.
>>
>>30823736
But I liked the story and those 150 pokemon...
I mean, the story was pretty much the exact same fucking tale it has been since R/S, but the significance of N, finally having a rival that actually tries to be a rival and gym leaders being a bit more than slightly fancier town NPCs were welcome features (although in that regard they've been vastly trampled by S&M).
Likewise, Having 150 new pokémon and just that was, in my opinion, the correct way to "go back to Kanto" rather than what has been done afterwardss. Plus the mons themselves don't suck more than Kanto mons did.

That linearity, however, did irk me the wrong way. With that lineal region and NPCs forcing me back as soon as I stepped two tiles in the wrong direction, I felt as if I were being led through a tour guide rather than having an actual adventure.
The error fo wanting to mix 3D environments with 2D sprites was made more apparent by fancy cameras that were trying far too hard but IMO that was already a problem in D/P - it just got worse.
>>
>>30823936

Home is the best one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbXwLqgVlqQ
>>
>>30823971
To be honest, the linearity of Gen 5 didn't bother me too much. There were always side areas on the routes to explore and traverse.
>>
>>30823935
>>
>>30823980
Such a comfy theme. That and the scenary around Melemele really immerse you in the region.
>>
>>30824005

I really liked the added touch of having random Pokemon cries all around you too. Really made it feel like you were out in nature.
>>
File: 47[1].png (10KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
47[1].png
10KB, 256x192px
>>30824003
I don't see how that's floating.
This is floating.
>>
>>30823935
No, definitely B/W. Having full 3d environments with shifting perspectives while everything else was still sprite based was fucking retarded.
>>
>>30820731
Except /mu/ they just have really shitty taste.
>no one has mentioned Lysandre's theme
Am I really the only person who liked this guy's theme?
>>
>>30823760
>It is not a big deal, as long they are not giving us smaller regions to explore
It's fine if it's alright for you but "same size" means shit for me if there's no actual incentive to explore those larger areas at all (also 3D kinda NEEDS more physical space to make the same place feel as big since you can see farther). What do I care if there's one row of tiles or six to my right if I can already see that there's no reason at all to walk over them?

If I had to choose between Mount Coronet or a very long hallway with the same tile count, I would always choose Mount Coronet.
Not like I really liked Mount Coronet, mind you, but you get my point.

And well, i'd say removing a feature I liked from the games IS a big deal.
>>
>>30824045
They were all planted firmly on the ground though.
>>
>>30822354
So...you're annoyed it functions as an actual RPG?
>>
>>30824046
No. I thought it was great too.
>>
>>30824060

I don't think you're using the same definition of "floating".
>>
>>30824046
No, poke-Hitler's theme is amazing.
Especially the anime version.
>>
>>30823844
>BW2 improved everything about Gen V
Except the godawful C-Gear hogging the touch screen.
>>
>>30823907
>remove status quo to make him go to school anyway
They should have switched over to Sun already.
>>
>>30824086
What do you think the c-gear did anon?
>>
>>30824125

Radiated pure cancer while not letting me access any menu items or serve any useful functions at all. "Dual screens" were a mistake because nobody ever fucking used them right.
>>
>>30823908
But when you lose multiplayer shittery, overall speed, quick menu access, other quality of life improvements and cute clothes as well as bringing back an old feature only to destroy it, it amounts to a bit more.
Still not a holocaust, but more than just one cool feature.
>>
>>30824143
Anon, it was literally a precursor to the PSS.
The only difference was that it only allowed wireless communications as opposed to online the rest was essentially the same right down to using it to access pass powers.

There was only one useless bottom screen.
>>
>>30823920
>SoS chaining
There are features that I go on a rage about when they're removed in a following title.
There are features that I don't care when they're removed in a following title.
And then there are SOS battles.
>>
>>30822297
That you are a fucking faggot. Go kill yourself furfag
>>
>>30824173

PSS shat all over the C-gear in every conceivable way.

>actual, real online connectivity
>puts all menu items down there too
>when you're not battling people or trading online it still lets you play with O-powers and shit

Meanwhile the C-gear was 100% worthless 99% of the time. The only situation you ever even COULD have used it was local play with friends because no online. And lets be honest here, a bunch of 20-30 year old neckbeards aren't going to hang around their local Pokemon club.
>>
>>30824173
>There was only one useless bottom screen.

Pokétch?
>>
>>30824230
Bingo
>>
>>30823980
Mom, when will you bother unpacking all those boxes?

>>30824021
It was a nice callback to RSE but I feel they went overboard with how often they play. When I got a pokemon with a specially long/high-pitched/annoying cry that plays over and over and over, I wanted to finish my business ASAP and get out of there already.
>>
>>30824224
>>when you're not battling people or trading online it still lets you play with O-powers and shit
You do realise you can't use them when the Wireless is off right?
>>
>>30824249

>turning wireless on automatically means you're battling people or trading online
>>
>>30824057
I do understand what you mean, and I partially agree with you. But your example is very exaggerate: from BW onwards, games have indeed become a bit easier to explore, ant this is mainly due to how convoluted Sinnoh was, and the complaints of some fans.

But my point is that those post Gen IV games (BW, BW2, XY and ORAS) are not that much more straightforward or anything, just enough to no tice the dfference, but not "too much". And ORAS, by virtue of being a remake, is basically as non- straightforward as RSE were, with only a very few things being simplified (but, as I said, not butchered in actual size) like the New Mauville switch maze, or the cracked floor holes (I am actually glad those were removed).

In BW/BW2 what really looked straighforward are the bridges, and I don´t mind that, I actually like them.

In X/Y, the route to Cylage is quite straight.

My concern is more with SM onwards, seeing how the entire region is quite straight. i think this might become an issue if they keep making the games more and more straightforward, but I definitely think the simplification of the Gen V and VI era wasn´t exagerated, just enough to make the regions more acessible, in a positive way imo.

And even with SM, I don´mind that it is straightforward. i woul prefer some of the more tricky region designs from previous gens, but it is not enough to make me not like it and trigger me, like people here are triggered over the ORAS New Mauville new design.
>>
>>30824258
It does however mean you're utilizing wireless communications.
Just like the Cgear.
>>
>>30820487
Gen V was not bad.
But realistically all games are subjective so, what could be the worst could be the best for someone else.

From gameplay perspective Gen 1 was the worst, but it was the 1st , and was popular enough to get a sequel that was multitudes better.

But overall? I still think Gen 6 is the worst, I mean don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but Gen 1 has the first game excuse in my book, Gen 6 has 5 other generations to learn from.

Though some pros were :
> Fairy Type (fuck you I like it)
>PSS
> Some Music tracks
> Some awesome designs like Hawlucha.

Beyond that, it just didn't feel as good as the other games.
>>
>>30823942
Because they love their half-baked new ideas and remove everything that might hamper their implementation without giving a second thought to which was better or to how else to implement it.

If only those new ideas were more than just stupid gimmicks more often...
>>
>>30824272

Except in C-gear you have literally nothing to do if there are no other people around you also playing the game. Zero functionality.
>>
>>30821760
I read the whole thing.
I agree completely, I just traded in my OR just because I had 0 desire to play it ever again. Modded Star Sapphire is so much better.

When it first came out people asked me how it was.
"Good news it it's everything you remember about ruby and sapphire"
" Bad news is Its was everything you remembered about ruby and sapphire"

Emerald is still the best game out of the 4 from a single player perspective.
>>
>>30824230
>>30824234

>map
>dowsing
>step counter for egg hatching
>daycare egg notification
>pokemon statuses

Pokétch was fantastic compared to C-gear.
>>
>>30824284
Except use your pass powers as well as access the Entralink which in BW2 allowed you to do funfest missions.
>>
>>30824329
>dowsing

Literally the only thing anyone ever used.

C-Gear lets you use pass powers at least, which are actually useful.
>>
>>30824274
I'd agree that XY is among the weaker titles if not the weakest but at the same time I rarely felt much frustration while playing it unlike playing DP or RS.
>>
>>30824125
Facilitate local communications in a way hardly warranted by this game since what you'll need an immediate access to more often will be the main menu.
The once-a-day use you could get out of game sync and wireless/IR local communication just didn't warrant the loss of HG/SS's godly touch screen. TWICE.

And heck, it isn't even a case of either/or. Remember what HG/SS did with the item finder? If you activate it, the item finder replaces the main menu until you close it again.
They could have brought the HG/SS interface as is into BW, just replacing the pokegear icon or the "A button" into a C-Gear button to bring it out and voilá, you have your shitty shiny new feature that is barely useful hardly ever as availiable as it was in the actual BW

Because let's face it, that shit was turned off most of the time so it didn't waste battery and turning it on requires pressing a button, waiting for the animation to complete (or opening and closing the menu) and then go through more prompts and menus to get what you wanted. There was just no point to have that thing always availiable.
Even less in BW2 when they could actually know how useless it was and how inferior to HG/SS menu it felt.

>>30824329
>>30824359
Let's just agree that both are kinda shitty but way superior to the rotomdex.
Still, passing powers was quite a chore with all the steps involved
>>
>>30820487
fpbp
BW was horrible
>>
>>30824348
>if there are no other people around you also playing the game

Although it's nice to remember funfest missions as those too felt better than Festival Plaza's variant.
>>
>>30824481
>They could have brought the HG/SS interface as is into BW
They actually couldn't. BW and HGSS were being developed at the same time by two different teams.

Ironically enough however the sprites for the entralink were used in HGSS for walking pokemon.
>>
>>30824517
Which makes me believe that the excuse was bullshit.
Anyways I was talking about a hypothetical and even in the real scenario there's no excuse for not fixing that shit in B2W2.

But really, couldn't they have implemented the HG/SS menu after they saw what the HG/SS team did? It's not like BW came out one month after and to my understanding menus aren't as easy to fuck up code-wise as other parts of the game.
>>
>>30824586

It's not that they "couldn't" have, it's that they chose their vision of a global Tokyo where at any given moment you're within wi-fi range of 150,000 other DS owners over having actual useful features for everybody else. Same reason the 3DS's SpotPass was such a pile of shit too.
>>
>>30824619
To be fair, even just wireless communication anywhere is a huge step forward over it being locked to Pokemon centers. In all honesty they should have done that since DP.
>>
>>30822912
No, you really didn't. You're forgetting just how bland the locations of XY were and how awful that story was. There was nary a single interesting, dynamic character in the entire game, and the Pokemon distribution was completely broken, with Absol and Bagon and Axew, historically rare Pokemon, very easily obtainable before the second gym, while Taillow and Wingull were very rare.

Not bad games, but they could be called the worst Pokemon games fairly accurately.
>>
>>30821770
This tbqh familia
>>
>>30824003
Wow that's looking like it would come from a GBA game. Horrible.
>>
>>30824779
So horrible, even Golden Sun developers did better use of GBA hardware.
>>
>>30824619
>>30824657
But to tell the whole story, even that was useless as fuck. The wireless function was only useful for the new "use and discard" toy that was the entree zone (plus videochat, which is even worse). If you wanted to trade and battle outside a pokémon center, you needed to make the consoles "kiss".

It was a half-baked concept with an awful execution made more apparent by the more pragmatic and comfortable use that came right before.

>>30824692
I can say I enjoyed the main game of XY way more than the three previous generations and the region felt way more alive and cohesive than Sinnoh or Unova ever could. And then I enjoyed it way WAY less than the main game for S&M.
However, after the extra Looker chapter is completed, XY was still fun to play whereas in SM doing anything became a fucking chore.
Plus I couldn't look nearly as pretty in SM as I did in XY.
>>
>>30824692
>stop liking what I don't like!

Do you realize how autistic you sound?
>>
>>30820559
Agreed, even if it's baiting. Even when I was first getting into Pokémon I thought DPPt were abysmal. I at least somewhat enjoyed X. I hope the remakes redeem it though, I feel like Sinnoh could have been better.
>>
>>30824329
>happiness checker
>step counter for radar resetting
>immediatly see where roamers are
>berry monitoring
It wasn't as useful as what HGSS and gen VI did, but for a first attempt it was a nice little machine (and way better than the next little machines).
>>
File: 1479768299221.gif (272KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1479768299221.gif
272KB, 500x281px
>>30824481
everything in this post is correct

>>30824619
>tfw Mario Maker 3DS was made only with Japan in mind
>>
>>30824274
"The first game excuse" is a terrible argument because even if it's bad due to aging poorly, it's still bad.
>>
>>30825238
Not to mention that it wasn't GF's first game and they had former APE.inc members helping out.
>>
>>30820559
gen 1 and 2 are objectively inferior to DP
>>
>>30825353
That depends entirely on how you judge them.
>>
>>30825305
But it was their first game like that, right? It still had to come up and develop all the bases that the following games kept attaching stuff to without changing anything too fundamental (until SM at least).
Gen I might be the most awful to play right now, but it probably holds the most merit.
>>
>>30825389
And even without contextualizing them, the first two gens might be easier to pick up, play and complete now than DP.
>>
>>30825407

That's really why all the remakes started happening. FR/LG happened because GameFreak wanted to go back to Gen 1 and fix how broke-ass it was.
>>
>>30825238
I'm saying it has a means where I don't weight it as heavily as I do say XY because it was the first game, technology was limited and it was a new idea, It's still at the bottom for me don't get me wrong, but it's number 5 on my list and not number 6 because it was the first game. Like I said before, Gen 6 has 5 other generations to learn from.
>>
>>30825407
>But it was their first game like that, right?
For the GF employees? Yes as far as I know but like I said they had former APE members at the time aiding them who are already experienced in the making of RPGs.
There's no real excuse for gen 1 being in the state it was in.
>>
>>30825474
Technology isn't really an excuse for the mechanics as much as it was the graphics anon.
>>
>>30825547

Did you even play it? The mechanics were fine, save for a few bugs here and there but there are a fuckton of games from that era with bugs. Just because it doesn't conform to modern smogon standards of balance doesn't mean it was bad.
>>
>>30825524
>>30825547
Other than the myriad of bugs and the unbalance in types and learnable moves, what other major flaws did it have?
I mean, those ARE very bad, but they're also what I'd expect from any RPG of that time. Usually they don't even care at all about mishaps in enemy skillsets...
>>
>>30823999
It didn't bother me either. I tend to get sidetracked naturally in Pokemon games, so i often forget where I'm supposed to go next.

Besides, B2/W2 fixed the linearity issue by creating new branching paths and shortcuts.
>>
>>30824057
Fuck Mt. coronet. That shitty place requires too many HMs. The need for HM slaves in DPPt in general pissed me off more than anything in those games.
>>
>>30821338
Yep. I replayed it maybe twice from when I got it in 2004 to when I got Pearl in 2008. In the same period I replayed GS at least 10-15 times. Both Gen 3 and Gen 6 are alright. I'd put vanilla DP on the same level. There are no bad mainline games, but the franchise seems to get stuck in only meh gens (3 and 6)
>>
>>30825626
>but they're also what I'd expect from any RPG of that time.
Eh, most RPGs of that time were more flawed in the story and direction department than they were in the mechanics department.
>>
File: come on now.jpg (24KB, 397x400px) Image search: [Google]
come on now.jpg
24KB, 397x400px
>>30822640
>Gen 1 was bad
>Gen 2 was even worse
>>
>>30825720

And yet Gen 1 Pokemon games laid the groundwork for one of, if not THE single most successful JRPG formula ever made. You've spent far too much time reading infographics and obsessing over tiny minutae.
>>
>>30820478
nah diamond and pearl started to lose me, Black/White I bought and didn't finish, B2W2 I didn't even buy. These games revived the series for me so please fuck.
>>
File: 1426644410507.jpg (25KB, 245x245px) Image search: [Google]
1426644410507.jpg
25KB, 245x245px
>>30825736
>being a genwunner
>>
>>30825774

>calls other people genwunners
>the only game he actually liked in the list was from gen 5

Sasuga, genfivers.
>>
>>30825774
>being a contrarian
>>
File: 1372969094569.png (81KB, 495x398px) Image search: [Google]
1372969094569.png
81KB, 495x398px
>>30825774
Saying Gen 1 is bad is entirely justifiable, they're deeply flawed games.
But Gen 2 was a huge improvement on them in almost every area.
>>
>>30825751
That's why most people just leave Gen 1 off the list anyways. Unless ya wanna consider FRLG as a Gen 1 experience, which did fix a lot of the original games' issues.
>>
>>30820478
I agree
>>
>>30820478
No
>>
File: 1412521831.jpg (63KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
1412521831.jpg
63KB, 800x533px
>>30825802
>>rse was good
>>pt was good
>>oras was good
>>gen 7 is great
really makes me think
>>
>>30821710
>(not letting people transfer Pokemon over from Gen 2 was probably the single biggest mistake Game Freak ever did in the history of the franchise)
But was it? I mean, it did hurt but by default GBA just couldn't interface with GB at all.

Although they could have released, I guess, an add-on in the vein of Gameshark or Sonic&Knuckles that were pretty much a GBA game able to interact with R/S. That would also mean that you'd need two GBA and a link cable on top of the device itself.
... maybe they should have tried. It was non-standard and risky but Pokémon was well damn big enough to at least take the risk.
>>
>>30825812
I still find it funny how the bike kept its original speed, making it just as fast as running.
>>
>>30825899
Gen 1 and 2 ran on a different IV system, and I'm guessing at the time, they couldn't find a way to make them transferable to Gen 3.

Even with RBY (VC) being compatible with SM finally, we still don't know what to expect with the transfer.
>>
>>30825751
>Pokemon games laid the groundwork for one of, if not THE single most successful JRPG formula ever made.
The keyword being "groundwork".
Just because the idea was successful doesn't mean the initial execution was graceful. The game was still a buggy and incomplete mess and even more so with the original Red and Green.
>>
>>30826085

In what way were they "incomplete"?
>>
>>30826044
They'll just replace the DVs with equivalent IVs and roll random personality values, Gen I Pokémon don't even have genders.
>>
>>30826044
>Gen 1 and 2 ran on a different IV system, and I'm guessing at the time, they couldn't find a way to make them transferable to Gen 3
That's because the problem wasn't with the IV/EV system, that could have been solved fairly easily.

The problem was with the hardware of the GBA. They literally couldn't connect due to how the system and it's link cables worked.
>>
>>30826114
Dude they literally dummied out the index slots for intended pokemon. Not to mention half of the mechanics were literally broken.
>>
>>30824820
I feel the same way anon, although in my case it might be because of "pseudo-nostalgia because XY brought me back into Pokemon after I dropped the ball around the end of Gen 4".
Like yeah, SM's main game is overall better than XY's, but after completing the main game and the UB arc it is back to grinding and preparing stuff in X&Y unless I feel like taking on the Battle Tree right now.

> Plus I couldn't look nearly as pretty in SM as I did in XY.

Agreed. You could look way more stylish in the XY games. Perhaps it also helped that your character was older, I dunno.
>>
>>30822473
>Except it is not an objective flaw with the game
I never used the word "objective" in my post.

>Mauville Game Corner was forbiddent for every Pokemon game ever after Gen IV ended.
That doesn't change the fact that it was removed. No matter what the reasoning is, it was removed.

>the Safari Zone is still in ORAS
That's why I said Safari Game.
>Well, the DexNav game (aka sneaking) is the ORAS equivalent of the Safari Zone function anyway
What? No, it isn't. Dexnav is completely different mechanically to the Safari Game, I can't even think of how they'd be considered similar. I love Dexnav keep in mind, but Dexnav is a Habitat List+Pokéradar with a chance to get HAs and Egg Moves and such. The Safari Game is a different set of battle rules entirely, where (to speak about Hoenn's specifically) you use Pokéblocks to manipulate its encounter rate and optimize your chances of catching a Pokémon.

>it's just a reference to Emerald
It can be both a reference and a slap in the face. I don't know if it was intentionally a slap in the face or if Game Freak just really underestimated how beloved the Frontier was and thought this would be sufficient, but it felt like a slap in the face to me and to others.
>>
>>30826044
I know. 0 to 15 DVs instead of 0 to 31 IVs, massive stat experience instead of EVs... but devising a system for such transfer isn't that hard either, it just needs to read the data for the old pokemon and then write a brand new pokémon based on a translation of that data according to a set of rules.
Set same species and gender as the old pokémon.
If unown, keep the letter.
Set same moveset.
Set same OT and ID as original pokémon.
Create secretID based on the normal ID
Randomize nature (although it would be "more fun" to come up with a nature based on an operation with DVs)
Randomize ability among the availiable ones for that species.
Multiply DV by 2, then add +0/+1 randomly to each stat. Use the value of special for both special attack and special defense, obviously.
EV would be harder. Either asign 0 EV to all stats making them weaker or distribute all EV in the same relative proportion as the stat experience of the original.
Set place of origin as Johto or Kanto (if it were compatible with RBY).
Set ball as pokéball because it can't be helped.

And I think that covers it. So basically making the conversion is quite easy and there are various approaches to it. The limiter here was that it was completely necessary to create a new physical device for the sole purpose of transferring pokémon from GB games to GBA ones.
>>
>>30826338
>That doesn't change the fact that it was removed. No matter what the reasoning is, it was removed.
Then would the fault not belong to the gen 4 games for being the start of the removal?
Remember, they removed the GC functionality in Platinum in Europe completely and then went on to remove the slots in the west entirely until the game was gone completely

>I don't know if it was intentionally a slap in the face or if Game Freak just really underestimated how beloved the Frontier was
I guarantee that this was the case. Especially with the reaction to the Gen 4 Frontier.

Boy, that fallout was even worse than the "construction soon".
>>
>>30823849
I'm the one who called it butchered, and I don't care about tile count. It changed an interesting location to literally two rooms.

>>30826418
>Then would the fault not belong to the gen 4 games for being the start of the removal?
It was lame there but we aren't talking about Gen 4. We're talking about ORAS.
>>
>>30826353
>The limiter here was that it was completely necessary to create a new physical device for the sole purpose of transferring pokémon from GB games to GBA ones.
And it would be fairly expensive too seeing as the external device would have to have some kind of data storage functionality seeing as the Gen 1 and 2 games carried out battles and trades one at a time rather than simultaneously like every game including and after gen 3.

And in that age even a 500mb MP3 player was fairly expensive.
>>
>>30826471
Come to think of it, Pokemon Box could have been used.
>>
File: kanemochi1.png (363KB, 400x840px) Image search: [Google]
kanemochi1.png
363KB, 400x840px
>>30826332
There are several factors for this.
First is that SM's wardrobe is severely limited. For instance, regular shoes and boots do not exist at all. Neither do long trousers, dresses, coats or long-sleeved clothes. Boys get TWO kinds of hats total... and this is only speaking in general terms.
Another factor is that clothes are oversimplified for the purpose of being easy to present them in a myriad of colors. They're just bland.
The factor where the MC comes in isn't really their age but how fucking creepy their face is. They're some ugly mofos (and for some reason the only characters unable to gesticulate in cutscenes). The other biggest factor is the pose. When it comes to the trainer passport and the dressing room they just don't know how to pose properly when compared to their Kalos counterparts. Compare and contrast with the battle poses you can change for multiplayer battles. The feel changes a lot.

So basically it's lack of variety+overfocus on summery clothes+bland designs+creepy character.

Or maybe they wanted to contrast a fashionable person from Paris to what is pretty much a Japanese tourist in Hawaii.
>>
>>30826338
I was part of the delusional crew that believed they'd add it as DLC in the future. Just like they added new megaevolutions to XY...
>>
>>30823942
They get rid of them because they can. It saves money and they have a legion of fans willing to defend whatever was removed with a "that shit was never important, stop making it to be so great, you're just looking for things to hate," so they have no reason not to from their perspective.
>>
>>30826630
>It saves money
Just so you know it costs more to remove or build it anew than to use the old one as a base.
>>
>>30826584

> Another factor is that clothes are oversimplified for the purpose of being easy to present them in a myriad of colors. They're just bland.

Not just bland, but like... it's for the most part limited by patterned clothing. I don't want to wear a cap with berries on them, I just want to wear a regular red cap that looks similar like Red's -- spoiler: there is none, whereas you had that option in XY -- and even if you didn't like the red cap in XY, you could always opt for a blue one or a black one iirc.

> They're some ugly mofos (and for some reason the only characters unable to gesticulate in cutscenes).

Strange, I thought the SM protagonist was more expressive than the XY one.
>>
>>30826471
Well, having internal memory is pretty much a given, but so did every game and cheating device.
I can think of various ways to do this, one of which doesn't involve a second GBA, but in the end it's still a whole new device with a tiny storage, able to read two kinds of cartridges and overall a design and build that would only be useful for pokémon. Shit would be at the very least as expensive as another game.

>>30826521
Game Cube can't interface with Game Boy games even if you use a GBA. Even the cable itself can't interface. Use two GBAs with two gen II games and a GBA link cable and it won't work.
And even if it could it wouldn't be ideal, as Pokémon Box wasn't readily availiable
>>
>>30826661
But the parts of the code that they reuse are the ones set in stone that we see again and again.
It's one thing between games of the same generation as they reuse a heck ton of assets, but usually such features would have to be reprogrammed for a new one.
In the end, they're removed to make room for their new shitty ideas to shine. How would they be able to justify SOS battles if both dex-nav and hordes were still a thing?
>>
>>30826743
Look at that face in the previous post. That alone is more humane than what SM threw at us.
As for cutscenes, both are about as expressive (read: they aren't at all). But in the case of SM proportions are a tad more relaistic so that forever-frozen creepy face (and the low resolution textures) stand out an awful lot.

Patterned clothes... I'd say those look better than blander ones but it really goes for shorts only. Caps, pants and espadrilles are so darn specific (and they forgot to create colored plain caps period) when it comes to patterns that they're very hard to match properly with clother other than the ones carrying the same name.
Not like I'd want to wear espadrilles even without those designs anyway.

And I forgot to mention it earlier, but dye shops and version exclusives are also part of the problem. A huge amount of clothes depend on there having lots of colors for them, yet the player only has a very small fraction of them availiable. That makes coordinating all the harder.
>>
>>30826178

They dummied out a single slot for Mew, and "half the mechanics" is a gross hyperbole.
>>
>>30827011

> Look at that face in the previous post. That alone is more humane than what SM threw at us.

Okay, I think I am understanding where you're getting at. Is it perhaps the fact that your SM character looks rather wide-eyed and more smiley-faced compared to your XY avatar? I mean, this XY avatar looks less "super duper cheery" compared to the SM one.

> As for cutscenes, both are about as expressive (read: they aren't at all).
Really? I thought I noticed more expression during the scene you protected Nebby or confronted Lusamine. Then again, I also recall the shock and awe expression when you awoke Xerneas/Yveltal.

> Caps, pants and espadrilles are so darn specific (and they forgot to create colored plain caps period) when it comes to patterns that they're very hard to match properly with clother other than the ones carrying the same name.

Yeah, that's what I tried to say. I mean, sure have those patterned clothing, but also have some plain options too.
>>
>>30827238
>I thought I noticed more expression during the scene you protected Nebby or confronted Lusamine.
Well, there's the flute-playng scene and one occasion when MC opens their mouth. That's all I can remember but there might be more. At any rate it's a stark contrast when you see other charactyers change their expressions constantly and the camera even does close ups of them. Having everyone in varying degrees of shock and amidst them all your character with that stupid grin is a bit concerning.
>Then again, I also recall the shock and awe expression when you awoke Xerneas/Yveltal
Because it exists. It's the one cutscene where they use the full model instead of the chibi form
>>
>>30820487
fpbp
>>
>>30827402
> It's the one cutscene where they use the full model instead of the chibi form
You forgot about the celebration scene that occurs after beating Diantha the first time. And after just checking it out, the expressions of your avatar are rather down-played compared to the SM one despite still being smiley-face and all.
Thread posts: 342
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.