[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

These are the only games I can continuously come back to. I can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 4

File: heartgold-soulsilver.jpg (55KB, 460x210px) Image search: [Google]
heartgold-soulsilver.jpg
55KB, 460x210px
These are the only games I can continuously come back to. I can't even put my finger on the reason why but I just never get tired of them. What went so right? Will they always be the pinnacle of the series?
>>
>>30812634
Are you talking about GS generally or HG SS in particular?
>>
>>30812634
How can you go back so often to a game with so little pokemon variety? It gets boring after you realize your teams all look the same.
>>
>>30812634
>What went so right?
Everything.

>Will they always be the pinnacle of the series?
Yes.
>>
>>30812651
Hg and ss
>>
Honestly g/s are much better. Hgss are way too slow and color palate sucks
>>
>>30812679
This was always my problem in gen 5, specifically BW
>>
>>30812679
What? All of gen 3 and 4 are available though..
>>
>>30812760
Woah calm down there Anon, he didn't even mention Gen 5.
>>
>>30812760
Do you have autism?
>>
>>30812634
Honestly the first 3 gens I can always come back to and enjoy. Gen 4, 5, and 6 I can't remain interested in.

I would keep coming back to SM if not for how fucking terrible the first island is.
>>
I loved HGSS back in the day when I first got it. I tried replaying it a few months ago and got bored and stopped shortly after getting to Kanto. I started replaying Black 2 after that and I loved every minute of it even though I didn't care about it when it came out.
>>
>>30812760
What the fuck? That guy didn't even mention Gen 5.

Anti-Unovafags are like the worst shitposters on this board.
>>
I once believed that but BW2 is proving me wrong
>>
>>30813179

Take a look at all the people mentioning BW2 in this thread.
>>
>>30812634
I agree. I can't play other games and finish them. I've played HGSS over 5 times now.
>>
>>30813223
The only guy who mentioned BW2 posted like 40 seconds before this post.

Are you having a stroke?
>>
>>30813223
Take a look at all of the posts above the one that he is mentioning
>>
>>30813244
>>30813197
>>30813161
>>30812768
>>
>>30812634
>These are the only games I can continuously come back to. I can't even put my finger on the reason why but I just never get tired of them. What went so right?
You grew up with them. That's literally all.
The word you're looking for is "nadir."
>>
>>30812795
In HG/SS? Either way, they're likely all post game, I'm talking about the main playthrough.
>>
>>30812679
Fuck off faggot. Gen 2 and it's cute remake are best.

Gen 5 will never be remade.
>>
>>30813308
I wonder if you're the type of person to call the Gen 2 starters boring and praise Gen 5 for everything.
>>
>go next to a water body
>water flowing sounds

10/10 immersion
>>
>>30812634
These are the only games I can't come back to. They're so slow, and the Pokémon "variety" is so boring that it doesn't make up for the slowness like Platinum.

Every time I try to play, I lose interest around the time I get to Blackthorn, then I put it down for a year.
>>
>>30812634
For the original Gold and Silver, Game Freak pulled out all the stops to make the ultimate Pokémon game with the tools they had at the time. They thought it was going to be the last and that Pokémon's popularity would drop off after Gen 2.

Sadly they dropped that design philosophy after GSC and never picked it up again. Ruby and Sapphire went on to take some of the largest regressive steps in Pokémon history; namely going back to one region and a measly 8 badges. I wish they would make every game as it if was the last one.
>>
>>30813329
All travel gene will eventually get remade and no matter how bad they areally all of you faggots a are going to buy them.
>>
>>30813465
No they wont.

They will remake you into uber faggot.
>>
>>30813406
Ugh, Platinum. DPP and HGSS are all slow as shit, but Platinum didn't have any of the heart or charm of HGSS. It feels like they were making it because it was expected of them, which is why they stopped next gen. It was all about fixing (wrong) problems with DP and not adding anything exciting.
>>
>>30813477
Why are you taking your real life frustrations out on a pokemon generation anon?
>>
>>30812634
I find them completely unplayable after playing Sacred Gold/Storm Silver. Pokemon variety in the originals is horrible, and none of the battles or routes are interesting. SGSS even fixes the lack of trainers in Johto, so it feels less barren.
>>
>>30813497
>>30813539
>>30813544

Same fagging.
>>
>>30813179
Gen wars in general are retarded
>>
>>30813591
???
>>
>>30813544
Drayano improves everything he touches, so I wouldn't say HGSS were really unplayable at all.
>>
>>30813070
I don't know how you can play Gen III considering it's like the half-baked version of Gen IV, but I and II I can understand since those games are so vastly different from the rest of the series. Don't have to worry about shitty IVs, EVs, Natures or Abilities. Just your team

I agree with SM having a terrible fucking opening though. I have no idea what they were thinking. Rest of the game was pretty great, but Melemele was a mistake
>>
>>30813363
Every time I replay this game, I remember another feature that was stripped out.

Fucking Gen V killed the franchise.
>>
>>30813669
I wish he hadn't changed a few of the sprites though, some HGSS sprites look much better than the Gen 5 ones.
>>
>>30812634
Crystal.
>>
>>30813713
Gen V wasn't the first generation to remove features, though I agree with you that it is stupid
>>
>>30813544

I love Drayano's hacks. I wish he spent time on Platinum. That one's my favorite.
>>
>>30813497
Platinum was cleaning up after Masuda's mess because Masuda's a hack and can't make a good Pokemon game. Even his best games were trumped by their sequels

Thank God that fucker's getting promoted out of touching the games because of Japan's shit seniority system though. It was a painful 15 years
>>
>>30813713
One of the great things for me was that Sturdy only applied to OHKO moves still in Gen IV, so in trainer battles in-game you could clear through mons like Geodude without having to take any hits. Gen V made that shit annoying with Roggenrola and every other Sturdy mon available we had to wade through.
>>
>>30813713
HGSS was developed in parallel with BW, so that's why so many features in it couldn't make it to BW.

Not that Game Freak is foreign to stripping useful stuff
>>
>>30813804
Yeah, a Drayano Platinum hack would be amazing. I doubt it'll ever happen though, he's pretty slow with hacking these days, and SM are next on his list.
>>
>>30812795
Gen 3 and 4 were a mistake
>>
>>30813884
That's not really an excuse. I don't see what was stopping them from putting them in BW since they were released a year apart and it was still in development when HGSS was finished. Or BW2/XY at the latest.
>>
>>30813884
I still find it bizarre that they cut following Pokemon from BW. Almost all of the sprites they needed are already in the games for the entralink, and the code for the following mechanic comes from DP, so it's not like there were any technical reasons not to include it.
>>
>>30813979
The same reason the Japanese and American teams worked on Sonic CD and Sonic 2 respectively and some features and elements that appear in one game don't appear in the other. Such as the Spin Dash being gimped in CD when Sonic 2 came out first

Game development is fickle as fuck, especially when multiple teams are working on different projects. It's so Game Freak can pump these out faster than your wallet can abide to :^)
>>
>>30813945
Gen 3 and 4 are collectively the pinnacle of the franchise.
>>
>>30814008
Not all of the Unova Pokemon had overworld sprites iirc, they kind of rushed the games out it seems. Thanks Masuda

That also might be why the Entralink back in BW didn't have Unova Pokemon when you did Dream World shit. They weren't released until B2W2
>>
>>30814042
No.
>>
>>30814135
ye
>>
>>30812634
HGSS just had nice vibes to it, it was a decent enough blend of old and new graphically, had some cute/fun out of battle activities like the Pokéathlon, and little things like followers also made the whole experience more comfortable and personal, I felt pretty attached to my team in ways I've never given a shit about in any video game before, and I loved it.

I can't even blame that sentiment on nostalgia, because I'm a normie convert that literally just started playing a few months ago starting with SS in an emulator since I figured it would be the best experience I could get on my toaster.
>>
>>30814024
Even if they were different teams within Game Freak, I'm pretty sure they're all in one office. I wouldn't compare that to two separate development teams in completely different countries.
>>
>>30814168
Just out of curiosity... How old are you?
>>
>>30814073
That would explain it, I guess making another 1200 or so sprite frames for all the Unova mons would have taken more time than they had.
>>
>>30813884
Doesn't that mean they should easily be able to port code over?
>>
>>30814204

I never got into the games, my family was too poor for a game boy and I was graphics-spoiled as a child so I never had much of a love for Nintendo handhelds before
>>
>>30814168
Even if it's not nostalgia, you later said it was the first one you played so you're still biased in a certain way. I'm not saying I disagree with you, just pointing that out.
>>
>>30814204
>>
>>30814240
For sure, you'll always see something you do for the first time that you enjoyed differently regardless of how long ago it was.

I still feel there's more than that to a lot of the things I liked about it, though. But I still have a little difficulty going back to it after being spoiled by the 3D era and the excitement it fills me with for the future.
>>
>>30814190
Masuda's also the same faggot that justifies not having customization or a Battle Frontier in ORAS because he feels that some elements of the series should be unique to specific games, so make of that what you will

With all the walking/running models in SM's code, I think Ohmori has plans to do things the fans want instead of blowing smoke like Masuda does so often
>>
>>30814233
Well, different teams have different design ideas

That's why HGSS neglected the Pokegear mostly and went with a two screen interface and BW used the >C-gear

You couldn't have both at the same time.
>>
>>30814249
Inciting genwars is against the rules

Complaining about the mods is also against the rules.
>>
>>30814337
>Masuda's also the same faggot that justifies not having customization or a Battle Frontier in ORAS because he feels that some elements of the series should be unique to specific games, so make of that what you will
Yeah, that shit really annoys me, and his excuses don't even make sense half of the time
>customization should be exclusive to kalos because kalos is about fashion and beauty
>brings it back in gen 7
I hope you're right about Ohmori
>>
>>30814372
>Inciting genwars is against the rules
Wow I didn't know this, I guess half the faggots on these boards are constantly breaking the rules then.
>>
>>30814372

Circlejerking genfivers have had free reign for long enough. They no longer hold the legitimacy of being the most current gen.
>>
>>30814427
>complaining about gen V circlejerking in a gen IV circlejerking thread
Never change, /vp/.
>>
File: rules.png (15KB, 357x238px) Image search: [Google]
rules.png
15KB, 357x238px
>>30814423
Yep. Most people who use this board don't even read the rules
>>
>>30813179
Honestly no, unovafags themselves are the worst, nearly every time there's a discussion like this it always ends with some unovafag forcing his opinion as if it were fact.
>>
>>30813690
I hate gen 4 because DPPt's pokedex annoys the fuck out of me and because it's so utterly slow that I actually feel myself getting ADHD as I play. HGSS only somewhat remedies the situation and I'd rather play GSC for Johto.
>>
>>30814557
>He says it while an anti unovafag is sperging out and shitting up the thread
>>
>>30814611
Fair enough. Platinum was such a major improvement over DP I don't have any issues with the Dex. I'd argue it's one of my favorites

Gen IV is a great engine but Gen V and VI are better, even if they're attached to not as good regions. Pokemon's become less replayable as the years go on, it sucks
>>
>>30814645
>Gen IV is a great engine
I like Gen IV but it's not really a great engine. Platinum and HGSS were much faster than DP but still among the slowest Pokemon games. Not that Game Freak is very good at making engines (see gen 6 and 7). I'd argue that 3 and 5 were the best ones (I guess maybe the first two as well considering the hardware they were on).
>>
>>30814704
> (I guess maybe the first two as well considering the hardware they were on).
Sorry I meant 2 only. Forgot that gen one was a baffingly shit programmed mess
>>
>>30814704
Considering I turn off battle animations I don't worry about the slowness in battles. Alola bothered me at first with how they handled HP bars, but I got used to it

As for the overworld it hasn't bothered me much either. Yeah, BW definitely are much faster and easier to get through but when I say good engine I'm mostly leaning on how massive the Physical/Special Split made the game that much more fun to me. Easily shits on anything Gen III offered. Can't believe it took them 10 years for that
>>
>>30814623
Of course you wouldn't notice all the other times in which the exact opposite has happened. I mean, it's not like the mods care when other gens are attacked, only their precious Unova.
>>
>>30814754
Oh okay, I think we're thinking of two different things when it comes to the engine. I was just referring to how well it runs. I didn't like Gen III either (except for FRLG) but the engine was pretty fast
>>
>>30812634
They are unironically my least favorite games in the series and I loved Gen 2 when it came out.

There is just something so wrong with the gen 4 engine and design choices.
>>
>>30814814
Probably. In terms of the world Gen IV did control like ass and was slow, but the gameplay itself was a step up from Gen III so I feel it's not all a lost cause

I'm going to assume that Masuda got better as the time went on and only dropped the ball when he had to work on 3D games. FRLG were both a huge graphical upgrade and Masuda got help from Tajiri on them. DP are more or less the same on new hardware, BW are straight improvements from DP

But of course that's if we ignore every other Pokemon game that came out around that time, which obviously completely shit on any of Masuda's work
>>
File: 1478354846929s.jpg (2KB, 98x125px) Image search: [Google]
1478354846929s.jpg
2KB, 98x125px
>come back to Hgss after not playing it for 4-5 years
>all these egg hatched bastards in my boxes
I glad I learned to hack up full teams
>>
>>30814961
also is there any other pokemon game with GBA sounds up from gen 4?
>>
>tfw the website is still up
http://origin.pokemongoldsilver.com/uk/#
>>
>>30812634
see, I'm the exact opposite. somewhere after the elite 4 I was having to force myself to complete it, and finally just dropped it right before the fight with Red. Just not my thing at all I guess.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (15KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
15KB, 480x360px
Currently on SS.
Chasing pic related. He's weak. Building up my cache of fastballs to get it. Question is, if I knock him out, will my chances of capturing it be done or will it simply revive and be at full health again?
>>
>>30816900
Beat Elite 4 if you do iirc
>>
2 maps 1 price
>>
>>30814645
Yeah, I'd definitely like Sinnoh a lot more if it was faster and its Wifi was still up rip

If it ever gets remade I really hope Defog gets removed as well.
>>
>>30816900
>>30817062
So if I knock him out, and THEN defeat the elite 4, he'll come back?
>>
>>30812634
I wish I could keep relaying but I think I've replayed G/S at least 15-20 times as a kid/teen and it burned me out on Gen 2. HGSS are ridiculously good and did everything that the originals did better.
I blame Gen 3. I filled the dex in R/S and I didn't want to restart my save so I dropped that and redid Gold. I'd go back and replay Gold with my cheater device and would experiment with all sorts of cool mons that weren't available early.
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.