[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've recently played Shiren the Wanderer and grown to enjoy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: TltzAaN.jpg (138KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
TltzAaN.jpg
138KB, 1280x1024px
I've recently played Shiren the Wanderer and grown to enjoy it greatly, which has given me a much greater interest in the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon spinoffs. Generally the two I hear the most praise for are Explorers of Sky and Super Mystery Dungeon.

Are these games worth playing if I'm mostly interested for their gameplay aspects? A nice story doesn't hurt but it's not something I'm that concerned about. Do any of them have a decent level of challenge?
>>
Blue mystery was great.
Sky is Awesome
I hated Super. It was just a little dumb for the thought you can't recruite random Pokémon anymore. That is just me, I played it and didn't like it.
>>
Rescue team was an interesting experiment, it's overall a good game but definitely not something I would recommend for someone trying to ease into the series. Good to go into if you liked Explorers though.

Explorers has a nice level of difficulty as well as a pretty nice story alongside it. It's definitely one of the easiest to get into and certainly a great title. It definitely tries to stay within what your Pokemon can do if anything.

Gates to Infinity is simply a casual version of Mystery Dungeon. From your description, this game won't be worthy.

Super is really the closest, you'll get to a Mystery Dungeon experience. Arguably the hardest in the series, more item management than any other (This is the only title in the series to feature Wands) and many pokemon are given really disgusting movesets. I'd definitely recommend this one to you, it's a great challenge.
>>
File: daddy nuzleaf.png (57KB, 224x224px) Image search: [Google]
daddy nuzleaf.png
57KB, 224x224px
Dangnabbit, I ain't letting this thread die on me now.
>>
>>30797415
There's also the break system so you can't abuse overpowered mons you can get early.
>>
I WANTED to like Super, but it just sorta didn't do it for me.

Also another thing, do you guys think we'll ever get a Mystery Dungeon game where you can sorta "choose" your age group? As much as I like the games, it's getting really fucking retarded that you always play as some elementary school-aged kid. I was thinking how being in a different age group can affect how the story plays out.

For instance, in super, if you chose to be an adult, Nuzleaf would be your roommate and not your guardian, and at the school, you would the teacher's aid and not a student.
>>
>>30795109
I know you said you weren't super into the story, but Explorers of Sky has a great one. Gameplay is great too, though.
>>
>>30798128
I suggest making a scenario where there are hard times and almost every pokemon, even the young and the old, must contribute in some sort of way.
>>
File: IMG_20161215_025842.jpg (266KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161215_025842.jpg
266KB, 960x640px
Would you guys play something like this?
>>
>>30798625
I just want more spin offs with different genres, conquest was great
>>
>>30799516
Meant to say cross overs but you get the point
>>
>>30798625

No, Xenoblade was awful.

Give me Final Fantasy XV gameplay with Pokemon instead-- Classic.
>>
File: 1471374839920.jpg (57KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
1471374839920.jpg
57KB, 350x350px
God I loved Blue/Red and Time/Darkness

Such good games, why did they murder the series with Super?
>>
Explorers of Time is probably my all time favorite game. IMO Time/Darkness/Sky>Red/Blue>Super=Gates. If you're a Pokémon fan and like Mystery Dungeon style games I strongly recommend all of them.

I sort of have the reverse question - how's Shiro the Wanderer? I've definitely been interested in more Mystery Dungeon given how much I loved Time/Darkness.
>>
>>30795109
The gameplay isn't bad, but it's way easier than Shiren, and only the level 1 dungeons work like a traditional roguelike.
Blue Rescue Team is about as good as Explorers of Sky. BRT has better postgame gameplay (excluding menus, they're way too messy in that game), Sky's postgame relies more on the story.
Super is harder when compared to the DS games.
Gates to Infinity is like a prototype to Super, it's the easiest game in the series and lacks in content and the gameplay in general is disappointing (it has the best menus/button layout though).
>>
>>30798128
>it's getting really fucking retarded that you always play as some elementary school-aged kid
All of the games before Super never specified anything like that and Super played around with it.
>>
>>30801530
Think of a level 1 dungeon with towns once a few floors, each with different buildings/shops and NPCs you can interact with.
NPCs interactions and deposited items are pretty much the only thing you can save. Once you get defeated, you lose everything else.
Just pick the English-patched SNES one and start playing, you'll see.
>>
>>30797425

DON'T BELIEVE NUZLEAF'S LIES!
>>
I want a game where you have more options than "starters+pika+riolu"
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.