[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The gen 7 protag is able to communicate with, (or at least partially

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8

The gen 7 protag is able to communicate with, (or at least partially discern) the speech of Pokemon, like N.

What is the lore reason behind this? All over the game their are Pokemon we can interact with in the overworld that are partly understandable.

I hope I'm not the only one here who has noticed this. Interactions like these have never happened in previous games.
>>
There are other examples, but I can't find any screenshots via a quick google search.
>>
>>30770683
Ghost type Pokémon (ghost Marowak in gen 1) have been shown to talk, or at least mimic human speech. It's probably just pure coincidence, and Sudowoodo is probably just for shits and giggles. Or it could be just another Rando in a suit like Machamp and Hypno.
>>
>>30770662
>What is the lore reason behind this?
Probably the Z ring or something
>>
>>30770780
There are dozens of other Pokemon that can be understood by the protag across Alola.
>>
>>30770683
That line is unique to english.
>>
>>30770662
The protags are autistic.
>>
>>30770662
Sudowood's jap name is Usokkie which mean something along the line of "fake/lying tree". Uso mean lies. In jap version it probably just cry its name like most pokemon. The translator made a mistake of translating the phrase USO instead of just leaving it as a cry. The correct translation would probably be "Sudo!".
Only Mimikyu can speak. It can sing afterall.
>>
File: ash hand to chin.png (347KB, 657x717px) Image search: [Google]
ash hand to chin.png
347KB, 657x717px
>>30770895
Dear TCPi
You did good today, you did good.
>>
File: IMG_2437.png (257KB, 832x680px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2437.png
257KB, 832x680px
>GF says they've been looking for a way to introduce human-Pokémon communications for several gens now.
>Colress says as much in-game if they wanted to go the tech route.
>Humans with Psychic abilities exist.
>intermediary could be used such as Rotom-dex
>We are made to believe that, in general, Pokémon are sentient beings, and capable of understanding human speech, and some are quite intelligent.
Honestly at this point it's a world-building thing. If they found a way to organically integrate a communication system in-universe, which is a must, there is the basic technical limitations. Do you make 802 different personalities? What do they say? What do they talk about? Would such a thing be practical?

Considering that part of the beauty of Pokémon is that the creatures personalities are mostly inherent in their design, with a remainder being projected by the player, do we even truly want this? Say you have a Dark-type bro or sis, and to you they are a sweetheart, but once you fire up the Pokétranslator, all they talk about is wanting to brutalize their enemies. Instant disconnect. Be careful what you wish for.
>>
>>30771052
>Gen 8 protag is able to fully communicate with pokemon
>Every time we do literally anything are Pokemon are talking to us, like Rotom-dex
>even more annoying because they talk to you in battle, Amie/Refresh, etc.
>"Ooooo, touch me here senpai"

I feel bad for N, having to put up with that shit on a daily basis.
>>
Someone actually let a cow live in their house?
>>
>>30771052
Not to mention natures and IVs giving us their personality traits.
>>
>>30771052
>Dark type is my favourite
>Most of my bros are of that type
>Idealize them as cute, friendly qt least with me
>Gen 8 comes out
>Sableye is just asking to be fed shit and doesn't care about me
>Mandibuzz makes comments about how it would happily eat my corpse
>Tyranitar is a brute beast that only talks in orders, like feed me, pet me, back off.
>Most others would be massive edgelords, creepy assholes or not even talk to me at all

I would actually cry
>>
>>30770662
sudowoodo says lies because that's his fucking gimmick, he's a fake tree you fucking dunce
>>
>>30771795
>slowly watch litten grow from a cute lovable cat into a sausage fingered meat head that spews catchphrases and does retarded poses every fight.

I'd drop pokemon if they start talking like in Digimon.
>>
>>30771324
my bitch wife lives in my house
>>
>>30771052
>the games imply Pokémon are sapeitn

Stop it with this meme already. The vast majority of Pokémon are not portrayed as or implied to be sapient in the main games. The people claiming that tend to be anime retards and pokéfuckers (but I'm sure that's just coincidence, right??)
>>
>>30770662
>Guu do it!
>>
>>30771956
to be fair though, there's a massive disconnect with pokemon's roles as NPC, their roles as fighters and their roles according to dex entries, so anyone can pick whichever of these types of characterisations they want to support any argument they have
>>
>>30771956
I think it's more of a particular scenario. Things like rhyhorn are not sapient, but their final evolutions are, as stated through dexes and things like them joking around like in the fire trial.

And anon, the anime is game canon now sadly, since ash-greninja and that one picture in mimikyu's totem room are a thing.
>>
>>30771997
Forgot to add pikachu's cry and pokemon saying their names ingame when interacted with as more reasons for anime being canon
>>
>>30771956
>they understand spoken language orders
>clearly portray human-like emotions
>many NPCs displaying clear bonds/communication with their shitmons beyond conventional human/pet relationships
>characteristic lines
>muh anime isn't canon

nigger just admit that animal fuckers get it right sometimes
>>
>>30770683
Mimikyu is only trying to warn you about meme curses.
>>
>>30770662
>Pika shoo shoo!
>>
They say it a million time OP

"Trainers in Alola have a deeper connection"

That is obviously the reason why
>>
>>30771993
Nine times out of ten, people act like their personal fantasies are "canon". Happens suspiciously often when it comes to making Pokémon human-level intelligent so it's easier to justify degenerate lust.

>>30771997
>>30772011
>eventmon and marketing are canon

Ash's Pokémon have been distributed via events many times before. They just got an extra special treatment this time.

>>30772038
>videogame mechanics must be taken literally, they can't possibly be abstractions
>projecting human context onto animal-like creatures
>people treating Pokémon like real people treat pets means Pokémon are sapient

Stop claiming that your wish fulfilment idiocy is "canon".
>>
File: 1467768922262.jpg (21KB, 300x305px) Image search: [Google]
1467768922262.jpg
21KB, 300x305px
>>30770662
>Sun and Moon have no canon human names
>Quiet, never speaking, reactionless
>Incredibly strong despite being clear children

Now, when I say this, who does it remind you of? If you guessed Red then you're right

This was marketed as the new Pokémania to kids and they want them to feel the same way YOU felt in Red and Blue. That's why the protags this gen aren't what you're used to, that's why they're special.
>>
>>30770931
kek. but seriously isn't it cause of the rotomdex?
>>
>>30772085
You are retarded

This gen gave the MC more characterization then ever before. How many previous games had the same type of interaction and flavor text choices?

None, This is the first game where your character says something other than yes/no.
>>
>>30772083
Even if ash greninja is somehow not canon you didn't disprove the rest. Your reasons are as much of a head canon as poke fuckers' are, just because you say everything that goes against your idea is abstract or non canon doesn't mean it's true.

He mechanics of a game serve the narrative, and even if you don't think they do they've been shown to follow orders outside of combat. Some even complex ones simple animals wouldn't understand
>>
>>30772135
Not him, but the options you talk about are just saying what the game wants you to say with or without sass
>>
>>30772198
Changing Pikachu's cry to the widely-known marketable one has a perfectly obvious out-of-game reason and is not consistent with what we generally see in the games. Also, porting the "Pokémon say their name" gimmick to the games doesn't automatically fuse canons. It's like claiming anime and games are the same universe because pokéballs exist in both.

>mechanics of a game serve the narrative

Pokémon being easy to train and control serve the narrative of the player character being the best trainer in the region.

>mechanics of a game serve the narrative

You do realize that there's a lot of room between "dumb beast running on instinct only" and "human", right? Pokémon are smarter than real animals, but that doesn't put them on one level with humans.
>>
>>30772083
>Nine times out of ten, people act like their personal fantasies are "canon"
there's some massive cognitive dissonance between you making this statement and the rest of your post
>>
>>30772295
Nobody said human, they just said sapient.
>>
File: file.png (23KB, 1208x177px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
23KB, 1208x177px
>>30770961
Nope.
It actually says らいらーい! here, not ウソッ.
>>
>>30771956
>Stop it with this meme already. The vast majority of Pokémon are not portrayed as or implied to be sapient in the main games.
>Pokemon not sapient
>Mimikyu dresses like a Pikachu so it can get closer to others
>Tsareena displays bouts of pride when it defeats another Pokemon by "Ohoho~"
>Cubone's entire gimmick is that it mourns for its dead mother
>Ignoring half of the Ghost and Psychic Pokemon and how they are either dead people, the grudges of dead Pokemon or objects, or many times smarter than humans
You do realize the only qualifier to sapience is the ability make judgement calls outside of instinct, right? Without taking the anime or manga into account, there is plenty of Pokedex and supplementary data material to say that many non-legendary Pokemon are sapient. The games and aforementioned side-materials more or less imply that they're a sort of Tarzan deal. They are capable of higher thinking, but lack the discipline to do so.

This conclusion is not unreasonable to make and we know that some non-legendary Pokemon are in fact sapient and in the occasional case, as smart or smarter than humans (Alakazam, Metagross, Oranguru, Slowking, etc.).

All we lack is an ingame confirmation that a fucking Ratata is smart enough to make a rationalized decision without specific conditioning. But outright denying the implications is dumb.
>>
Pretty sure than there is a Zoroark than talk to you in BW2, but he takes a human form
And Rotom dex should be able to translate other mons just like Meowth in the Anime, but GF missed the oportunity
>>
File: file.png (11KB, 633x120px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
11KB, 633x120px
>>30770895
>>30770966
False.
EN: Me...me curse...you...
JP: た~たり~ = curse
KR: 저~주~ = curse
ZH(simp): 祟~祟~ = curse
ZH(trad): 殊~殊~ = decapitate
>>
>>30772510
(All other European languages just has it say part of its name)
>>
>>30772510
What the fuck, China?
>>
>>30772599
It's called traditional chinese for a reason
>>
>>30771052
802 would translate to all the 'mons with an actual Model and appearence In-Game Out-of-battles more than likely though. And I absolutely doubt they would put 'em all in that fashion.
>>
>>30770662
>All over the game their are Pokemon we can interact with in the overworld that are partly understandable.
>teir
>>
>>30772820
>tair
>>
>>30772422

It's still probably a joke, considering that a pokemon whose cry should be "lies" is crying "Lies" in english in the Japanese version.
>>
It's just the writers and localizers playing around or the latter fucking up

You can form literally any onomatopoeia from a noise if you try hard enough, and from the punny nature of most Pokemon names I wouldn't be surprised if TPCi's translators fucked a lot of shit up
>>
File: image.jpg (65KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65KB, 1024x768px
>>30772543
>europeans waited an extra week for this
>>
>>30772853
Non-English European languages have Sudowoodo say his name.
English: Lies
Korean: 라이라~이! (Lailai!)
Chinese: 啦咿啦~咿! (La yī la yī!)
Japanese: らいらーい! (Rairai!)

So, uh, I guess he phonetically says "Lie" in English/Asia for whatever reason.

Magmar says "マグマー!" (Magmar!) in Japanese.
Too bad he doesn't say "Boober" in English.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.