[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So how come a Smogon alternative hasn't cropped up after

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: tumblr_inline_n7mxo1vnKf1sxajiw.png (40KB, 292x354px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_n7mxo1vnKf1sxajiw.png
40KB, 292x354px
So how come a Smogon alternative hasn't cropped up after all these years? You would think with all the politics, clauses, and favoritism everyone bitches about that enough would become fed up and try their own formats.
>>
>>30718796
It's because no one else will
>>
>>30718796
everyone's just tsundere for Smogon
>>
>>30718796

only /vp/ bitches about Smogon and that's because /vp/ is the most contrarian board on this shitty website.

I'd guaranteed if suddenly everyone else instantly started hating Smogon, /vp/ would make it known, that "they loved Smogon all along"
>>
>>30718796
nobody wants to program their own shit simulator using ripped assets from a nintendo game that has their own autistic rules.
>>
>>30718796
People have tried and they failed.
>>
>>30718866
Showdown is it's own entity.
>>
>>30718796
Because most of the things people bitch about are out of ignorance. Smogon has its faults but it's still justified in its actions about 85% of the time. Alternatives faded into obscurity or suffered from the same problems in terms of things like staleness or overcentralization that would push the meta down a path similar to that taken by Smogon if something were to be done to remedy the situation.
>>
>>30718796

There were multiple competitive communities before Smogon, and even today, there are a few Smogon alternatives.

They just never became as popular as Smogon. And the communities that do exist just end up copying Smogon.
>>
>>30718866

smogon doesn't even make their own simulators though, they just wait for someone else to do it and then "collaborate" with the creators allowing them to set up camp in exchange for the massive popularity smogon brings with it.

remember competitor? that was smogon's first and only attempt at creating a battle simulator, and that shit never fucking came out.
>>
>>30718968
Yeah I remember Smogon just migrated from simulator to simulator as they got better.

I believe it went like
Netbattle > Shoddy > Pokemon Online > Pokemon Showdown

Or something along those lines, may have screwed up the order and I think there was overlap between Shoddy and PO.
>>
>>30718796
Have you been living under a rock or what?
Shobby during RSE was a thing, and you got some comunities than nobody remember of that age.
PO in BW was big, but was like poor man smogon

And shit like that
>>
>>30718796
Smogon is already an alternative to VGC / the games.
>>
>>30719008

before netbattle was porygon battle bots (RBY) -> IRC (GSC and early RSE). Both were text-based lol
>>
>>30718924
Sadly, this is the truth. Even if another alternative cropped up, we'd eventually return to these very same issues, as everyone hates a metagame that's stale and overrun with broken threats.

That being said, the cliquish and elitish nature of Smogon's staff is almost reason enough to try. Smogon might have the right idea as a whole, but it's faults as as wide as a Goatse ass.
>>
Anyone remember pokebattle? It was this points based sim where you had a certain amount of points that you were able to use for your team.
I just looked it up and it looks like its just ded with a dev who isn't really working on it
https://twitter.com/pokebattleteam?lang=en
>>
>>30719113
I remember that, I signed up for the beta, but when I actually got the invite I was busy with some real life shit, and by the time I checked it out months later it was already dead.
>>
>>30719081
actually called porygon's big show

>>30719113
phil stopped caring about it, don't know about blue kirby.
>>
>>30718796
A lot of people 'dislike' Smogon but in reality there's no better alternative to what they do, and anything that tries just ends up being either outshined by smogon or copying. Showdown already incorporates every battle format you'd ever want anyway so it's not like they're super exclusive

/vp/ will always say it hates smogon for being elitists and faggots and they certainly are but we're not getting anything better. Pokemon attracts creepy autistic mankids that overreact and bitch at everything, you should know this by now.
>>
>>30718796
it is because smogon isn't that bad and the next best thing we have besides VGC
>>
>>30719113
I remember it being shilled hard, then never hearing about it again.
>>
>>30718796
Becase nobody can do it better. Alternatives do exist, like nugget bridge, but nobody gives a fuck about them.
>>
People do, but if you disagree with smogon you get hounded by the players.
don't pretend that isn't true.
Im not saying all smogon players are bad, im just saying that alot of them get over defensive of their metagame.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.