[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why doesn't Smogon implement the Pentagon rule in their

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: Blue_pentagon_status_screen.jpg (20KB, 237x127px) Image search: [Google]
Blue_pentagon_status_screen.jpg
20KB, 237x127px
Why doesn't Smogon implement the Pentagon rule in their metas? Realistically, it's the only way for Game Freak to remove moves from a Pokemon's movepool, and doing so is an entirely legitimate game change like removing gems was in the Gen 5->6 transition or the ability nerfs were in the Gen 6->7 transition. Gamefreak metas don't have to deal with Chansey and Mega Kangaskhan having Seismic Toss until the end of time because they simply mandate Chanseys and Kangaskhans have to come late enough that they don't have access to those moves; that's an entirely legitimate balance change, and one that will never be seen on Smogon without the Pentagon rule being implemented.
>>
>>30672729
Prebank is kinda like Pentagon rule.
>>
>>30672729
As a usual proponent of what Smogon does, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

I want to say it was done to have kept the variation of Defog users up to help deal with hazards, but it still allowed in all kinds of shit as you mentioned.
>>
>>30672729
>>30672872
As an additional point of note, Chansey line can legally get Seismic Toss when Bank comes out, since it's an egg move from Mawile who can gain it from Mankey line who gets it via level-up.
>>
>>30672729

if you want Pentagun, just play VGC rules and stop trying to ruin it for everyone else because you got your shit slapped by a Chansey one time.

And yes, Showdown does have VGC rules.
>>
>>30672729
I want this yeah.

alola has a different pentagon it's more of a cross now so that would have to be another format to gen 6
>>
What bankmons are broken? Only ones I can think of are PuP Mega Kang and Gunk Shot Greninja
>>
>>30673020
I can't think of any off the top of my head (hell, I haven't even played Pokemon since Gen 5), but the fact remains that in the absence of Pentagon/"Cross" rule it's impossible for Gamefreak to prune a Pokemon's movepool, which is dumb.
>>
>>30673020
Not really broken but everything that used to use Knock Off will be back in full force
>>
>>30672729
You realize that that was just a hack check, right? And since we've fully hacked the 3ds, and by extension, all gen 6/7 games to date, they have now become entirely useless, with the exception of separating Pokemon from game prior to gen 6.
>>
>>30673150
Pentagon was for determining if a mon was bred in generation, had nothing to do with hack checks.
>>
Stupid question, but does that mean I can't use my bank mons in the battle spot?
For example Outrage on Salamence.
>>
>>30672729
>>30673020
Are you telling me that if i get a Pokebank Kang from Gen 6 on my Sun/Moon it will still have the 50% bonus damage? Can't be true, right?
>>
>>30673242
No, this has to do with movepools, not ability nerfs
>>
>>30673242
No, because Game Freak can and did change the way Parental Bond works between games. What they can't do is remove Seismic Toss from its movepool entirely (without cutting off transfers like they did in Gen 3, but people were really against that for some reason); the only way to ensure that it cannot use Seismic Toss is to enforce that it was bred or encountered in Gen 6 or 7, which is what the Pentagon rule does.
>>
>>30673202
I believe you can in free battle. Otherwise, you'll have to rebreed in Alola.
>>
>>30673299
Why not just have the game remove moves that aren't available anymore when traded?

Simple as that desu
>>
>>30673334
Oh thank god.
It's not about comp for me, I just want to keep them and battle my friends with them.
>>
>>30673370
Well, you can definitely use them in battles against friends.
>>
>>30672729
>playing smogon
>>
Smogon is built around simulator play so things requiring a decade old move tutor aren't an issue for them.
>>
>>30673360

Because then people will throw a shitfit that the game is deleting shit from their old favourites.
>>
>>30672729
I don't get why they even removed the gems.
>>
File: 1481018263619.gif (158KB, 250x205px) Image search: [Google]
1481018263619.gif
158KB, 250x205px
>>30672729
>Pentagon rule
>I actually had to look this shit up because it didn't apply to me in gen 6
ARE YOU FUCKS TELLING ME ALL MY GEN 6 POKEMON WON'T BE ALLOWED ON WIFI TO BATTLE RANDOMS IN SM?! I HAVE TO REBREED EVERY SINGLE ONE?!
>>
Because smogon is garbage.
>>
>>30673739

there's like a 1/10,000 chance that a certain move missing from a pokemon will upset someone. You're talking less than 1000 people with copies of the game that might be upset. It might as well be nothing to them
>>
>>30673020
Wish Chansey is the one that triggers me the most.
>>
>>30674760
I'm more concerned about certain Pokemon missing.

How the fuck am I supposed to use Heatran for example if it won't have the pentagon? I can't rebreed it, it's a legend.
>>
>>30672729
This is literally prebank meta.
>>
>>30674633
Almost 100% you can battle with those, since I battled against some wish Chanseys in gen 6. This is at least for ranked VGC and battlespot.
>>
>>30673020
Levitate Gengar :^)
>>
>>30674931
>wish chansey

how fucking stupid is this that this is allowed in showdown? It's a fucking event move from 3 generations ago holy fuck
>>
>>30674880
But pre-bank also completely removes certain Pokemon from the game entirely, and will utterly cease to be relevant in a month.
>>
>>30675060
This was on cart. But yeah, that was an obscure event Chansey many years back.
>>
File: eIwZ3wd.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
eIwZ3wd.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>30674869
>A world without Heatran
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.