[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So now that the dust has settled gen 6 is officially the worst

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 420
Thread images: 16

File: download.jpg (6KB, 216x144px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6KB, 216x144px
So now that the dust has settled gen 6 is officially the worst gen how good or bad has sun and moon turned out to be?
>>
For the first set of games in a generation, pretty damn good. Muh cutscenes was the only complaint I have really
>>
File: xurkitree.webm (1MB, 530x447px) Image search: [Google]
xurkitree.webm
1MB, 530x447px
gen 7 so far is better than xy
>>
>>30556595
SM is better, but XY is not the worst gen.
That distinction goes to gen IV.
>>
>>30556645
Wrong.
>>
>>30556645
>being this contrarian

But you're both wrong.

The worst gen is II. Otherwise known as the gen that was only good enough to get .0001% of people that played it to play gen III and beyond.
>>
From an objective standpoint Gen I is obviously the worst gen.
>>
Gen III > Gen I > Gen VI > Gen VII > Gen IV > Gen V > Gen II
>>
>>30556889
if you reversed the arrows I think that would be most peoples' rankings.
>>
>>30556595
I think XY coming in the wake of B2W2 is why alot of people think its so bad, B2W2 were brimming with content then comes XY that gutted the postgame, introduced obnoxious friends, had the worst handholding this side of the globe and had a derivative story.

SM fixed alot of things, has much more content than the nothingness XY had, but it still suffers from massive handholding and railroading, better than XY but pales in comparison to B2W2
>>
Why so much g2 bashing? It was fine it just established a standard they would never repeat again. The two regions.
>>
>>30556889
V > VII > IV > III > I > II >VI
>>
No B/W is still the king of the worst. It was so bad I almost fucking gave up on Pokemon for good. It was so bad I even skipped B2/W2 completely.

S/M are unironically the best 3D Pokemon games ever made, even beating out Pokemon Stadium. Platinum and HG/SS still hold the top of the 2D Pokemon games ranking.
>>
>>30556933
Xy is only part of the issue. And the games were fine, they just never added the Z game to fix the issues. Oras was the real reason gen 6 was bad. They wasted xy potential for terrible remakes.
>>
>>30556973
The first paragraph makes me think you are me in disguise.
>>
>>30556972
>V > VII > IV > III > I > II >VI

Being this wrong...
>>
>>30556916
People like gen II?
>>
>>30556595
4>5>7>2>3>1>6
>>
>>30556645
I would've agreed with you if Gen IV was just DP, but Pt and HGSS exist, and they saved the gen.
XY desperately needed a third version, and ORAS were okay remakes but they don't hold a candle to HGSS.
Therefore, IV > VI.
>>
>>30557107

>weeaboos who visit weeaboo central like THE most Japanesey Pokemon generation yet made

You're surprised?

>Kanto: Japan but also super generic and bland
>Johto: 日本
>Hoenn: Japan only in shape
>Sinnoh: Japan only in shape
>Unova: America
>Kalos: France
>Alola: America but Hawaii
>>
>>30556889
I think that you flipped your order around, man.
>>
Here, you fucking nerds...

V>I>IV>III>VII>VI>II
>>
Gen 2 > Gen 5 > Gen 4 > Gen 7 > Gen 6 > Gen 1 > Gen 3
>>
>>30557345
III>V>IV>VII>I>II>VI

Fixed for ya.
>>
>hurr RGBY and GSC suck xDDDDDDDD
you fags wouldn't be here without these, which were meant to be the only Pokémon games ever (not even Yellow was meant to be)
>m-muh Genwunner pandering wahhhhhhh
>>
>>30556595
>gen 6 is officially the worst gen
No way, Gen 1 was shit and Diamond and Pearl were far worse than X/Y
>>
>>30557387
>Hey guise don't say Windows vista sucks cus we wouldn't have gotten W7 without it !1!1!
>>
>>30557387
Shut up retard
>>
>>30556595
Gen 6 is objectively the worst gen

I don't if you have shit taste and think that gen 5 was trash or that SM are the best pokemon games, putting gen 6 any higher than dumpster tier makes you a fgt
>>
>>30557408
Gen six was an abomination.
>>
>>30556645
I cant agree to that senpai, 4 like some anons said also include plat and HGSS.
If were just going by structure of games in general

2=5=7 > 4>3>1
>>
>>30557430
oh woops forgot 6, it's in between 3 and 1
>>
>>30557428
I don't disagree, but the others I listed are worse to me
>>
>>30557409
what is even your point? everything has flaws

there is no better gen
>>
>>30557345
Gen II did everything that Gen I did but better, and at a time when Gen I was still fresh in everyone's minds.
Any way I look at it I can't find a way to rank Gen I over II other than by the criteria of "IT CAME FIRST".
>>
>>30557453
Gen 6 is objectively perfect
>>
>>30557135
>ORAS
>okay remakes

Worse extra content than emerald.
Graphics are shittier than the GBA games.
Already outdated thanks to SM.

ORAS is easily the worst thing that happened to Pokemon. XY was a shitty game, but ORAS took something decent and made it shittier, raping everyone's expectations.
>>
>>30556595
7 is probably one of my favourites.

4 (inc. hgss) > 7 > 5 > 3 > 6 (inc. oras) > 1 > 2
>>
Gen 5 is and will likely always be the worst.
I honestly think people on here only say they like it because they know it's actually the worst and they know it bugs people who actually have taste.
>>
>>30557453
>There's not better gen

Except there is. If everything has flaws you measure by which one has the less flaws, and obviously gen VI has more than any other gen.
>>
>>30557463
Red and Green was like a test drive for Gold and Silver, which would've probably been better if they didn't change near the original release (i.e., no Kanto and a better Johto, etc.).

Sometimes I wish that Ishihara went ahead with his belief that Game Freak should have ended Pokémon with Gold and Silver in order to move on.
>>
>>30557496
I came here to post this.
>>
>>30557477
>Objectively perfect in every way
>stuck with the worst two regions possible
Why did it have to be like this
>>
Gen 6 is objectively the worst gen. Based on Nintendo's own determination. When even the makers say it was failure on their part to reach its potential unlike other gens you know it was a mistake.
>>
File: 87a.jpg (80KB, 800x1001px) Image search: [Google]
87a.jpg
80KB, 800x1001px
>>30557477
My gen I placement is almost entirely honorary, but I explained my gen II placement here:
>>30556853
>>
File: 20161206_085403.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161206_085403.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
ITT: People confuse the meanings of objective and subjective.
>>
>>30557521
Sauce
>>
>>30557408
>Diamond and Pearl were far worse than X/Y
Even if that's true, so? Platinum and HGSS were also part of Gen 4. We're talking about generations and at the end of the day I'd even say that DP were better than XY, that's how bad the problems with those were.
>>
>>30557541
Oops, quoted wrong post. Meant for:
>>30557463
>>
>>30557408
Only problem with Diamond and Pearl was the slow pace and the lack of fire types, otherwise it's literally better at everything compared to XY.
>>
Okay, somebody fucking tell me what's wrong with gen 5? The ACTUAL GAMES. Becauss everyone hates it because they don't like the pokemon designs, which is a pathetic reason.
>>
>>30557589
Platinum and HeartGold/SoulSilver fixed both problems of the DS era, much like FireRed/LeafGreen and Emerald fixed the GBA era.

Those two generations are the best ones so far in the whole of Pokémon's post-classic history.
>>
>>30557606
Poor character design is a perfectly valid reason to hate on a game that lives off it's stable of characters, anon.

I personally thought gen 5 was great, but some of the designs definitely felt corny.
>>
>>30557606
Where do you see everyone hating them? I think gen 5 was the best generation.
>>
If we base it off of regions, i'd say that the worst goes to gen VI.
Fuck Kalos.
If we base it off of gameplay alone, i'd say that the worst goes to gen IV.
HOLY FUCK WHY WAS IT SO SLOW? I really love Sinnoh and Johto in gen IV and I think they are the strongest regions by far, but I couldn't get over how terrible it was to actually play in this gen. Making the gameplay actually feel good should be the primary focus since it's what you'll spend more than half of the actual game doing in Pokemon, how did they manage to fuck up such a simple battle system so badly?
>>
>>30557651
Do you never go outside of /vp/ ?
>>
>>30557687
>HOLY FUCK WHY WAS IT SO SLOW?
Consistent 30 fps, something that Game Freak managed to fail at in the 3DS era.
>>
>>30557617
Couldn't agree more my anon senpai.

>>30557606
Gen V was great, anyone that says different is obviously wrong.
>>
>>30557687
See >>30557617.
>>
>>30557699
Yes, almost all the time actually. Never about pokemon though. Everywhere else is full of genwunners, more furries than here, and retards that would mistake a digimon for a pokemon.
>>
>>30557730
And what did they fix, exactly?
Battling was still excruciatingly tedious in HG/SS.
>>
>>30557687
Only slow games of Gen IV were DP, and even those had stable FPS through the game (Not like the shitty Gen VI)
>>
>>30557760
I have no problems with battling in HGSS. In fact I did a playthrough of SS earlier in 2016, it was a blast.
>>
>>30557606

I love a lot of the designs in gen 5. Overall I was always pretty happy with Unovan Pokemon outside of the starters. For me personally, gen 5 as a whole failed to leave an impact on me. By the time B2W2 came out, playing through them didn't feel good, didn't feel satisfying. Gen 5's Pokemon is probably what carried me through those games because at least I enjoyed them since I didn't care for the story or characters.

To be honest, the way gen 5 made me feel I thought gen 6 was going to be when I would drop Pokemon. If not for the sheer ease of legitimately getting into the meta, I probably would have. Breeding for IVs and EV training had never been easier and less tedious and using Pokemon in the meta that I'd worked on from scratch rather than pokegenning felt satisfying and kept me playing, despite XY's lackluster plot.
>>
>>30557135
HGSS are vastly overrated, they fixed none of the problems of GS, people only love it because
>muh copypasted battle frontier
>>
>>30557786
Might just be my personal problems with excessively long move animations in gen IV I guess. HGSS is my most replayed addition so far but even I sometimes get bored as I watch the animations drag on. Felt like a step back from Gen III's super quick battle animations.

I never want to go back to the gen I and II days of 10 second Surf animations ever again.
>>
>>30557760
Like the other anon said, the first series of games in the DS era have consistent 30 fps, whereas the GBA games have consistent 60 fps. That's why they were slower overall.

But after Diamond and Pearl, they made surfing faster, text no longer has long transition delays in battles, among other things.
>>
>>30557840
But that's wrong. Yes, level scaling is still an issue but that is hardly a deterrent.
>>
>>30557840
But you just listed the one feature of gen IV that nobody likes, faggot. Gen IV's battle frontier was awful.
Here's what you meant to type
>muh pokemon that follow me around
Because that is 100% the reason why people love HGSS so much, and it's well deserved since it's the most requested feature that every fan screams about.
>>
>>30557606
Most linear of any gen, even more linear than SM since the map is literally a fucking circle

Vastly overrated "story" that's really just two games of N of Nazareth being an autist with daddy issues

Lots of terrible Gen 5 pokemon
>>
>>30557135
Platinum didn't salvage Sinnoh. It was the same shit game with a tiny bit of extras. Opinion discarded.
>>
>>30557606

>extremely linear
>half the routes are literally straight roads
>whole region is tiny
>eye bleeding fuckawful "animated" sprites that they felt the need to zoom all the fucking way in on
>heavily story focused, but the story is so clusterfucked that they had to pull a do-over with B2/W2 to resolve shit

The only good things to come out of Gen V are Hilda, Bianca, and Lilligant.
>>
>>30557934
This better be bait.
>inb4 opinions
Not all are valid, like yours.
>>
>>30557888
>>30557893
>completely fucked level curve, enjoy fighting level 30 pokemon and trainers in endgame
>completely fucked pokemon distribution, a shitton of JOHTO pokemon are exclusive to KANTO or Mt. Silver like Houndour
>Kanto is still empty and boring
>Still the easiest games overall
>Team Rocket sections are still tedious as fuck
>Worst Safari Zone ever created holy shit
>>
>>30556645
Let's be honest, gen I was. There were so many bugs, shit mons, barren movepools, shit routes and trainers spamming the same three mons at you. Do you remember when your box filled up you couldn't catch anymore until you walked to a pokecenter and changed the box? No postgame. No breeding or egg moves. A billion QoL issues.
>>
>>30556943
It could have worked but they completely fumbled it leaving us with terrible psotgame gimmicks. They didn't stick with emeralds battle resort either. It's heinous.
>>
File: crystal_sprites.png (1MB, 1109x721px) Image search: [Google]
crystal_sprites.png
1MB, 1109x721px
>>30556853
>Blaming gen 2 for the drop in Pokémon's popularity and not gen 3, which ACTUALLY caused the franchise to shed half its players.

You argument is just pants on head retarded. Reviews and word of mouth existed back then too, and gen 3 was also hurt by the perception that the Pokémon "fad" was over. After 2000 Pokémon was seen as "uncool" by just about everybody, and even a lot of kids joined in the backlash. The fact that Hoenn was a particularly weak region, with no backwards compatibility to gen 2 and the shittiest designs yet pissed a lot of people off. RS were just sucky games and even the release of Emerald two years later (too late to matter) couldn't fix Hoenn or turn Pokémon back into the powerhouse franchise it was in gens 1-2.

Everyone who is not underage and actually played GSC WHEN THEY CAME OUT remembers them fondly because they were revolutionary for their time and added so much (breeding, day/night, battle tower, contests, swarms, shinies, etc.). Gen 2 in no way harmed the franchise. If anything it extended Pokémon's "fad" phase and set the foundations for a longer lasting franchise.
>>
>>30558037
>enjoy fighting level 30 pokemon and trainers in endgame
>what are Gym Leader and Pokémon League rematches
>>
>>30558037
The gimmick that saves HGSS from all of these circa 1999 flaws is still the pokemon following mechanic. And while I agree with you on most of these things, I have to say that I personally thought that building your own little park was a lot more fun than "hurr assemble a bunch of stranger's FC codes and hope you get the type that you want" and that it was a nice example of GF actually MAKING AN ADDITION TO A REMAKE RATHER THAN TAKING THINGS AWAY, unlike some certain, more recent remakes.

You're exaggerating a bit on the difficulty though, nothing is easier than XY even with EXP share turned off. HGSS was "easy" in the sense that you would often be left at points where you were too overleveled/too underleveled due to the terrible distribution, but the game wasn't flat out EASY as XY was.

Either way HGSS above all will always be staunchly defended because it's Johto, the region that most die hard fags grew up with alongside Kanto, the fags that didn't ditch the series after RBY as plenty of fad-riding "genwunners" did.
>>
>>30557521
Yeah really need sauce on this
>>
>>30558340
That's postgame

>>30558341
>who cares about gameplay MUH FOLLOWING POKEMON

The "actual" difficulty of the game doesn't matter when it's so incredibly easy to have your pokemon overleveled thanks to everyone in Johto being low-leveled as fuck.

Also Safari Zone was objective terribly and actively made the game worse by locking pokemon behind its insane requirements
>30 days for a fucking Trapinch
>>
>>30558341
I think a lot of "normies" stuck around for Johto as well. At least half of people I know who aren't into Pokémon at all still played Gold or Silver as their last game.
>>
>>30558227
Couldn't have said it better myself.

When rse emerald came out I was in 6th grade, which is right around when kids started saying, "anon, you still play pokemon? Hahaha!" And I know Im not the only one to drop it after or during rse. Even my super autistic friends dropped it to hop on other bandwagons. Like yugioh.

Dropped it at RSE and didn't pick pokemon back up until HGSS when a friend told me they were being remade.
>>
>>30558385
>That's postgame
So what?
>>
>>30558422
Every game lets you rematch the fucking Elite 4, even RBY does that.

During maingame, which actually matters, 99% of everyone in Johto is below level 40. The Champion's level range is 44-50, for fucks sake.
>>
>>30558385
I agreed with you on most of the flaws that you listed and you still somehow ignored the entire point i'm trying to get across. I don't think that
>MUH FOLLOWING POKEMON
justifies the flaws of HGSS, but it definitely is the factor that makes HGSS GOAT to most people in the same way that
>MUH CUSTOMIZATION
Makes people think that XY is good.
Little features like this drag an otherwise unremarkable addition to the Pokemon series into popularity and you'd have to be pretty blind to ignore that.
>>
>>30558482
But nobody thinks that XY is good
>>
>>30556595
dumb trumpposter
>>
>>30558456
>Every game lets you rematch the fucking Elite 4, even RBY does that.
Do you even play the games? When you rematch them in FRLG or HGSS, their Pokémon's levels are 15-30 higher.
>>
>>30558502
And that's the "postgame"

We're talking about the main game, which is what actually matters
>>
>>30556645
Finally, someone with taste
>>
>>30558227
I had thousands of hours in crystal as a kid. those brought back so many memories.
>>
>>30558502
And they have updated teams. And you can rematch any of the 16 gym leaders who have new and much stronger teams.
>>
>>30558456
I might be mistaken but didn't HGSS basically fix this with the ramatches? The E4 has level 70s after the first playthrough, which lets you grind before facing Red on Mt. Silver.
>>
>>30558511
In other words, you don't like a part of the game, therefore the game is shit.
>>
>>30558544
Postgame, also E4 is mid-60s with only Lance going above 70
>>
>>30556595
SM is high up there with the best Pokemon games like B2W2 and Platinum, and X and Y and ORAS are some of the worst pokemon games.

5 > 4 > 7 > 3 > 6 > 2 > 1
>>
3>5>=4>2>>>6>1

7 is looking good so far. Below 4 and above 2 right now, could easily be #1 depending on the next games. Definitely the best first set though.
>>
>>30558562
More like I'm talking about the part of the game that comprises about 90% of the actual game
>>
>>30557931
>most linear

Anon gen 6/7 came out already
>>
File: 1466965681928.png (1MB, 600x564px) Image search: [Google]
1466965681928.png
1MB, 600x564px
>>30558418
>tfw I kept playing Pokemon even at school despite it all
>got all of my friends to sell me their copies of RBY/GSC for dollars a piece
>met the best friend of my life through a chance encounter thanks to Pokemon
I actually dropped Pokemon inbetween RSE and DPPt's launch because I didn't have a DS and had no real interest, not because I felt ostracized. I swiftly bought one for HGSS with my first paycheck, though.
Never let people stop you from playing what you love.
>>
>>30558586
You can't get more linear than a literal circle
>>
>>30558596
Being a circle is quite literally the opposite of linear mathematically

Alola and gen 6 are much more railroaded
>>
>>30558596
I don't think you understand what linear means.
The shape of the region doesn't matter, all games after Gen 5 still have you tackling the game in a set order that you can't stray from, so they're all as linear as each other.
>>
Not to mention HGSS or just GSC had the best exploration in my opinion. Lots of caves and areas some people never even explored.

I never played dppt so i cant speak for them but every other game felt more on rails in terms of exploration, with maybe one or two areas that werent neccesary. But those places were still thrown in your face like, "Hey! Come check this place out! :P"
>>
>>30558596
Are you genuinely brain dead?
>>
>>30558630
>>30558646
>Arguing semantics
Fine, an octagon or whatever. It's still you going on a set path around Unova without any kind of branches or alternate routes, every town leads straight to the other without any branches.

>>30558636
*Gen 4
>>
>>30558630
>>30558636
Don't bother. I saw the same retarded posts in a region thread yesterday. Teenagers here believe that having forks in your path when you can only go one way or having your path loop around to a previously explored area is non-linear gameplay.

Pokemon was never non-linear.
>>
>>30558592
I only ever stopped liking Pokémon due to ruby and sapphire. I had easily spent a thousand hours between all of my gen I and II games and Stadium 2, and was so pissed I couldn't transfer up. Watching my little brother play Ruby and Sapphire, the games just looked stale to me, and the visual style somehow looked like a downgrade from the generation before despite the stronger hardware and higher pixel count. To this day the only gen 3 games I played were Leafgreen and Colosseum, but I only got them both in 2005 when I was getting so nostalgic for the franchise I would have played anything. I was just in time to get caught up in the hype (and subsequent disappointment) surrounding DP's release.
>>
>>30556645
Gen 4 wasn't the worst gen but DP were the worst games. Pt/HGSS saved the gen.
>>
>>30558133
>retrospective gen 1 whining

None of it stopped us from enjoying it.
>>
>>30558227
>Blaming gen 2 for the drop in Pokémon's popularity and not gen 3, which ACTUALLY caused the franchise to shed half its players.
You do realise that drop happened mid gen 2 right? That's why Crystal sold post mania numbers instead of a gradual drop.

Combined with the delays of GSC and and the fact that the anime was borderline directionless with unsolved plot lines like the GS ball. Many people dropped many facets of the series at the time effectively killing the fad.
It also didn't help that the game themselves didn't seem to be more than a rejuggling of the overworld and as you said people were beginning to feel too old for the franchise.

That's why Hoenn added so many new side elements and changed Ash's design and female lead. They needed to rekindle interest in the franchise that was lost in the previous gen.

Blame it on gen 3 as much as you want but the hype was already dead by then.
>>
>>30558630
Alola has plenty of completely optional side areas though.
>>
>>30557687
Kalos was way better than Unova. Unova was complete trash until B2W2 due to how insultingly linear it is.
>>
>>30558742
That doesn't make it non-linear. And gen 5 also had plenty of optional side areas.
>>
>>30558748
B-but how can a circle be linear you're obviously wrong and Unova is the least linear map ever!
>>
>>30558741
>That's why Crystal sold post mania numbers instead of a gradual drop.
Crystal sold poorly in Japan because kids weren't allowed mobile phones. In the West, it was because it merely improved on Gold and Silver.
>>
>>30556853
>gen 2 is bad

lmao no, gen 2 was almost as popular as gen 1. Gen 3 was when the series dropped off hard, then it came back with HGSS, dropped off again after BW, came back with XY and is going strong with SM.

It's not to say that gen 3/5 were bad because they weren't, but they pissed off people by not including old pokemon. Gen 3 was the worst, everyone was mad about not being able to bring up their bros from gen 1.
>>
>>30558227
you just said it, gen II is only good if you see it with nostalgia googles, it has close to no story and both its pokemon and mechanics are shit that didn't make it into gen 1 because of time but was all already planned
it was just a "patch" for gen 1, and they made us pay the price of a whole new game for it
>>
Gen 6 is the worst gen, Gen 7 was one of the best games until after you beat the elite 4 after which point it plunged into X and Y territory. It's sad.
>>
>>30556645
holy shit kys vintagecuck
>>
>>30558671
>what is desert resort
>Mistron Cave
>what is exploring route 1 with surf

Go fuck your self
>>
>>30558762
Why are you acting like a sarcastic retard and avoiding addressing the posts telling you that all pokemon games are linear. And no "going in a circle" isn't the most linear thing ever. In fact the shape of your path has nothing at all to do with whether a game's linear or not, retard.
>>
>>30558776
>It's not to say that gen 3/5 were bad because they weren't, but they pissed off people by not including old pokemon.
Stop smoking pot, Anon.
>>
>>30556595
I genuinely enjoyed every generation of Pokemon except for Gen 3. But honestly, I think it was just Hoenn that I disliked, because I thought Colliseum and EcksDee were great.
>>
>>30558793
Holy shit THREE whole side areas!
No way Unova is linear, am I right?

>>30558804
>town A -> route 1 -> town B -> route 2 -> town C-> route 3
>no paths that interconnect to other locations

That's pretty much the definition of linear anon
>>
>>30558776
>Gen 3 was the worst, everyone was mad about not being able to bring up their bros from gen 1.
Which is still better than risking losing them anyway due to the hardware and software differences between the GB/GBC and the GBA as well as in the Pokémon games on those systems.
>>
File: 1480785916229.jpg (44KB, 765x1110px) Image search: [Google]
1480785916229.jpg
44KB, 765x1110px
Almost as good as Gen 5, but not quite. Not yet, at least.
>>
>>30558772
You do realise that wouldn't cause interest in the series to drop as drastically as it did right?
It also doesn't add anything else to the conversation regarding the anime and decline in merch sales.
>>
>>30558596
Proof Unova haters are retarded
>>
>>30558879
>arguing semantics
Proof Unovabortions are retarded
>>
>>30558776
>Gen 3 was the worst, everyone was mad about not being able to bring up their bros from gen 1.
While that was a point people made back in the day it certainly wasn't asure much of a deal breaker as you think it was.
Hell there was more of a fallout in gen 4 when plat was said to have the BF and it was revealed to be something else.
>>
>>30558863
>You do realise that wouldn't cause interest in the series to drop as drastically as it did right?
It's not the cause but it doesn't fight against it either. Crystal was a very innovative game in its original Japanese implementation (GTS, online multiplayer, etc. in later games are simply recycled ideas from Crystal) but the players were not ready for it, not even in Japan.
>>
>>30558913
>in gen 4 when plat was said to have the BF and it was revealed to be something else
Game Freak never said that Sinnoh's Battle Frontier would be the same one from Hoenn.
>>
>>30558920
Okay?
I wasn't denying that.
>>
>>30558843
>That's pretty much the definition of linear anon
No, it's not you cum guzzling shitstain. Interconnecting has absolutely nothing to do with whether something's linear or not. Linearity refers only to the freedom the game gives you in regards to your path. And every pokemon game, with exception of a few small parts in kanto and johto and maybe DP(I don't remember exactly), has been linear since the dawn of time.
>>
>>30558776
>implying only having new pokemon till postgame in BW was a bad thing
if anything it blocked GF from being lazy and forced them to create a considerable amount of new pokemon instead of just 50 and throw a pikachu in the middle
>>
>>30558741
>>30558772
This. Also third versions with the exception of Yellow have always had dysmal sales due to a fundemental weakness in the business practice, being that only diehards are willing to pay full retail price for what is essentially the same game.

Yellow was perhaps the only exception to this, but it just came at exactly the right time. In 1999 the fad had yet to reach its peak. Many kids who hadn't yet been introduced to the franchise came aboard with Yellow (myself included) and skipped Red and Blue altogether. The mania had reached its peak by 2000 though and was in fact shedding potential players at that point. There were virtually no untapped players left for Crystal to attract in 2001, and everyone still on the bandwagon had already played Gold or Silver.
>>
>>30558227
This is probably the most accurate post in the thread. I've been playing Pokemon since 99. I loved Gen 1 and 2, but Gen 3 was just so drastically different that I felt alienated. The designs were bad, the region was horrible, and yes, people were starting to associate Pokemon with being a kiddy game for losers.

Gen 4 brought me back in because I liked the online functionality, I liked seeing some of my old shtimon bros get much deserved evolutions, and the Physical/Special attack split was something that I had been wanting since Gen 2.
>>
>>30558976
But pretty much all of them were just clones of Gen 1 pokemon
>>
>>30558940
You do realise there was only one, iconic, frontier that people wanted at the time, right?

The problem is that GF called it the frontier and gave players something entirely different.
>>
>>30558995
Yellow was a fourth version, not third. Blue is the original third version and there wasn't really a reason for it other than letting you catch the Pokémon you can't get in Red and Green on the wild.
>>
>>30558748
Gen V at the least had an interesting region to explore despite how linear it was, and a huge dex. The ~150 new shitmon added meant that EVERYONE had to like at least two or three pokemon in the region.

Kalos for me added so little that I can't even name a favorite from it. I've already forgotten the names of most of the gym leaders, I've definitely forgotten the names of every elite four member. Sometimes, I even forget the name of the region itself. I didn't have much fun exploring it and had no desire to go back. To date, it is the one pokemon game that I have yet to replay or revisit. When the most popular character from the region is a fucking NPC trainer, you know that you've fucked up.

It all comes down to personal taste though and while I think that VI had strong gameplay and battle mechanics, the actual region itself was fucking awful.
>>
>>30558698
I remember taking a break between gen 4 and 5. I was really burnt out at that time, as I spent way, WAY too much time in Diamond doing stupid shit. When I did finally get around to playing Black, I was back in though. What a good-ass game.
>>
>>30559019
>You do realise there was only one, iconic, frontier that people wanted at the time, right?
That's like saying that people expected Hoenn's Battle Tower to be the same one from Johto.

Only stupid people think that.
>>
>>30558995
Anon, 1999 was the peak.
When every part of the world had now played, watched and experienced pokemon. 2000 and onwards it began to fall.
>>
Bla bla bla, you're horrible people and I hold the truth

V > VII > III > I > II > IV > VI

PS. Masuda can suck a cock.
>>
>>30558995
>Also third versions with the exception of Yellow have always had dysmal sales
But Yellow also sold poorly.
>>
>>30559052
>That's like saying that people expected Hoenn's Battle Tower to be the same one from Johto.
Uh anon.
Aside from the glitches, it was.

What are you even trying to say right now?
>>
>>30559069
Yellow was about 14 mil.
Crystal was about 6 mil.
>>
II > V > VII > I > VI > III > IV

Though I don't dislike any generation as a whole. D/P blow as games though. Platinum was such a fucking upgrade holy shit.
>>
>>30558834
Are you me???
>>
>>30556645
I disagree.
Gen IV started out slow, but it kept improving. Platinum and HGSS set the standard for what modern Pokemon games should aspire to be.

Gen V didn't have the time it needed, but still managed to produce a marvel like BW2. XY was extremely barebones even for a first installment, and ORAS was just a shameless cashgrab.
>>
>>30556595
Thats how i felt about oblivion after playing Skyrim :^)
>>
>>30559197
>Platinum and HGSS set the standard for what modern Pokemon games should aspire to be.

I agree, even as someone who has a lot of nostalgia for Gens 1 and 2. Gen 4 was the pinnacle of the series for sure.
>>
>>30559197
>HGSS set the standard for what modern Pokemon games should aspire to be.
Maybe if you like a shell of a game covered by gimmicks.

There was barely anything of worth and it even forgot some elements introduced on that gen like location based evos. Not to mention it barely rectified the issues from the original game.

They were far from what should be accepted from a pokemon game.
>>
>>30559284
I agree. It was also the gen where the GC was being censored right?
If I remember right in Europe they disabled the minigames there.

Gen 4 was certainly a low point the the series given what happened around it. The mechanical downgrades, the drop in framerate, the removal of legitimate content, everything.
>>
>>30559102
In Japanese Crystal, the Battle Tower was a sort of online competitive facility where you challenged other real players and had some metagame rules in place.

Hoenn's Battle Tower is just a refurbished non-Japanese Crystal Battle Tower though, I'll give you that.
>>
>>30559379
Let me correct myself there. They disabled the minigames in Plat.
HGSS had that awful minesweeper clone
>>
>>30559117
Before or after the Virtual Console?
>>
>>30559431
In the end I'm kind of glad the game corner is gone, because mashing A to get coins is dull as shit.

Rad fucking music though.
>>
>>30559123
More like
VII > IV > VI > II > V > III > I
>>
>>30559379
DP blew the hardest, easily the most forgettable games in the whole series. The Johto remakes made a lot of people happy at the time, so after such a dissappointment from DP, anything would look good, and that's why HGSS is being viewed as a great game, when it wasn't, it just had to beat DP which was dead easy.

Platinum also fell short, but you have to handle that reshaping all the mess that happened on DP into a game that had some sense on it is worthy of recognition. It felt like a remake more than the third game.

But all in all, Gen IV was the lowpoint of the pokemon games. A lot of people left for good thanks to how bad the DP games were.
>>
>>30559379
>>30559431
South Korea first censored the Game Corner in Diamond and Pearl.

Europe then censored it in Platinum.

In HeartGold and SoulSilver, everyone but Japan got a different Game Corner.

Game Freak then decided to completely remove it.

Oh, and in English FireRed and LeafGreen, they had already renamed Gamblers to Gamers.
>>
>>30559464
>DP blew the hardest
Yet it sold more than RS.
>>
>>30559435
I think the VC only added a good 1m total to gen 1.
>>
>>30559483
Because RS reignited interest.
Gen 4 dashed it on the floor.
>>
The only gripe I have with SM is that it's still kind of grid-based.

>Battle Buffet
>Dude tries to run out of the shop
>Runs vertically
>Stops, turns, and runs diagonally
>Stops again, turns, and runs straight
It'll only get better, though. The graphical update was amazing this gen.
>>
>>30559483
Because Emerald was good. Because pokemon was still on a high point. Because DS was a HUGE thing back in the day. Of course it sold more, not only the expectations were high, the conditions to sell pokemon games were great, and they blew it up hard.

It's like saying that SM is the best games because they sold a lot of copies, ignoring the fact that Pokemon Go has a lot to do with it. Thing is, this time Game Freak took the opportunity they couldn't take 10 or so years ago. So that's an improvement.

Do not confuse sales with quality, don't be a metacritic faggot.
>>
>>30559483
About 1mil more on a console with double the users.
DP didn't even become a best seller.
>>
>>30558969
You're a retard. Yes, other games were not linear in that you could actually change the order of your adventure and actually get to explore other places. Gen 5 has absolutely none of that, so it is (was, SM has beat it) the most linear game in the series you braindead cocksucker. Go shill your forgotten, irrelevant games somewhere else.
>>
File: FAWIC2C.jpg (253KB, 3000x1800px) Image search: [Google]
FAWIC2C.jpg
253KB, 3000x1800px
>>30559435
Before. This chart was made before this year's VC release. Yellow could basically go toe to toe with any of the other gen 1 games if you tease out the individual version sales. Crystal did abysmally in comparison and is still to date the worst selling Pokémon game.
>>
>>30556595
Stop this meme
The dust never settles
>>
>>30559640
Emerald is actually the worst but it's a fairly small difference between it and crystal.
Something like 0.10m
>>
>>30559457
t. Sinnohfetus.
>>
File: 1480327666005.jpg (67KB, 540x509px) Image search: [Google]
1480327666005.jpg
67KB, 540x509px
>>30559640
>Gen 5

Wew, looks like unovabortions are the contrarians here after all.
>>
>>30559640
Last time I read about Yellow's sales, it weren't that high, even before VC. Dunno what happened there.
>>
>>30559675
Yes, I remembered Crystal 6 mil and Emerald 7 for some reason, but I think you are right in fact.
>>
>>30559687
You caught me.
>>
>>30559640
Not taking Gen I into the mix, there's always a nice number when generations make their debut.

Rounding things off, Gen I had 31 and Gen II dropped it to 23. Gen III dropped it to 16 and Gen IV managed to take a little rise at 17, so Gen III did a good job at maintaning the franchise.

Then Gen IV was so bad next generation dropped to 15. Gen V managed to get some people back for Gen VI, getting the franchise back to 17.

Now I'm positive Gen VII will get a whole lot of new fans, and we have to admit that Pokemon Go saved the sales for this Gen, because Kalos was so godawful not half the people here didn't remember the two NPCs that pesters you in Alola with Zygarde and their cancelled dreams of a Z game.
>>
>>30559699
I'm honestly not surprised about Gen 5. I only reluctantly bought Black version and the DS was a dead console by the time BW2 came out. Being busy with uni at the time and kinda burnt out with Pokémon, I honestly didn't even realize they released until a year later and didn't bother. I appreciate that gen 5 was "challenging" by Pokémon standards but the designs, region and online features were all so forgettable, it all just blended in with gen 4 to me at the time. It took gen 6 being as bad as it was for me to look back on gen 5 with anything approaching fondness.
>>
>>30559857
Gens III and IV are still the best.
>>
>>30559857
>Gen IV
>good

We may discuss about Gen III because it had its highs and lows. Gen IV was horrid.
>>
>>30559967
But that's wrong.
>>
>>30559857
Keep in mind the DS was a mini phenomenon in itself when DP came out in 2006. I remember there were waiting lists at Japanese retailers to get DS Lites due to shortages, and the handheld eventually rivalled PS2 numbers. A showing of 16 million on the GBA is more impressive by far IMO than 17 million on the DS.
>>
>>30559993
Perspective wise it kind of falls in line with the falling sales since gen 2.
What doesn't is gen 6.
>>
>>30556645
gen 6 is the worst as well a gen 3 was, i think everything related to Hoenn just brings bad luck
>>
>>30560216
That's because, memes aside, Gen 5 was good enough to mantain a base, plus Gen 6 were the first pokemon game for the 3DS.
>>
>>30560247
You've never played a gen 4 game have you.
>>
>>30560285
>Acid Rain
>Hitting a Blissey

Maybe he forced himself to forget.
>>
>>30556617
damn I was afraid of this. Just started today.
>>
>>30560336
yeah cutscene every 2 steps. I may want to kill myself after a few hours of this.
>>
>>30560306
>>Hitting a Blissey
A true nightmare
>>
File: smallballs.jpg (176KB, 750x810px) Image search: [Google]
smallballs.jpg
176KB, 750x810px
Gen 2 had two regions, an interesting plot, interesting characters, aesthetic legendary pokemon, cool starters, and the best music. Far more depth to it than any other Pokemon game, and returning to Kanto after gen 1 and seeing the differences was great. Bunch of fucking pre-teens on this board don't know any better tho.
>>
>>30560456
>an interesting plot
If by that you mean more barebones and retarded than 1 then yes. It was "interesting"

Seriously though the game as a whole was sub par and the main reason pokemania died early instead of petering out
>>
>>30560517
>pokemania died early
>a few years later Pokemon surpassed Zelda to become Nintendo's #2 games seller
???

"Pokemania" never died you deluded faggot.
>>
5 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 7 > 6 > 3 is the order I'm going with.

Love the hell out of BW2 and Plat, but can't stand 3 at all. 7 would be higher if it was a completed game, but they didn't give a shit about post game, post game leveling or move tutors. Also I hate having a permnant gif image on the bottom screen instead of seeing my party and festival plaza sucks ass.
>>
>>30560456
>two regions
one of which was completely barebones and the other one not much better
>an interesting plot
there was a plot?
>interesting characters
like?
>le A E S T H E T I C maymay
>cool starters
Chikorita line is still the worst starter line ever made
>best music
But that isn't Gen 4
>>
>>30560585
SM has more postgame than BW2
>>
>>30560565
>"Pokemania" never died
How to spot the underaged.
If you weren't old enough to experience pokemon back in the day refrain from posting
>>
>>30556595
Best main game in a long time, but the post-game/quality-of-life features are severely lacking when compared to ORAS.

I'm hoping that they'll improve this in the next games.
>>
>>30560652
You mean less.
>>
>>30560456
no one cares you middle-aged faggot
>>
>>30560692
All BW2 has is a few routes and PWT
>>
>>30560652
It doesn't even have triples or rotation let alone any other side content. Not to mention Join Avenue is still better than the plaza.
>>
>>30560652
SM is just Ultra beasts and battle maison
>>
>>30560759
Nobody played Triples and Rotations and nobody cared until after they were removed.

They removed Sky Battles too but you don't see anybody complaining about that cut content now do you
>>
>>30560711
And all SM has is the Battle tree.
Also you forgot the super lines and white treehollow/black tower.
>>
>>30560565
I don't think you realize how crazy Pokemania was when it happened.

Pokemon is still an immensely popular series, but it isn't even close to the hype Pokemon got during Pokemania. Pokemon Go came close, but it died out way too fast.
>>
>>30560711
Battle Subway is still there
And White Treehollow
And a bunch of optional but significant trainer battles
And a bunch of legendaries to catch
And you can re-visit parts of Unova that were blocked off before, like Hilbert/Hilda's starting town
etc
>>
>>30556595
Yeah, but Gen 7 isn't perfect or anything.
>Game lags like hell on O3DS
>Cutscenes
>not much exploration
>shit encounter rates for new mons
>Battle tree sucks
>hardly any new areas open up after beating the champion
>Lillie is the protagonist
>plot of the game is over mommy issues
>>
>>30560796
>more battle towers
wew

SM also has the UB hunt and the other half of Poni Island
>>
>>30560816
>battle tower
>battle tower
>SM has this too
>SM has even more
>SM has you visit parts of Poni Island that had previously been blocked off
>>
Triples and rotations where my favorites
>>
>>30560788
>Nobody played Triples and Rotations and nobody cared until after they were removed.
Except for, you know, the people who played them. That said content is content.

Also sky battles were just singles with only flyers. If you wanted to you can easily replicate them.
You can't do the same with triples and rotations
>>
>>30560858
Nothing wrong with pruning bad content
>>
>>30560820
They were a maze/labyrinth anon. Not another tower. Also the remainder of unova, N rematch and the legend hunt.
>>
>>30560885
Yeah, which is why getting rid of Triples and Rotations was bad.
>>
>>30560907
So is Poni Coast

SM also had rematches with a shitton of important characters through Title Defense

>>30560931
But nobody played them and they were never even talked about until they were removed
>>
>>30560885
Then why haven't singles been removed yet?
>>
>>30560962
It's better than gimmicky triples and rotations
>>
>>30560517
>Gold and Silver killed the Pokémania, which was between 1998 and 2001
No one can be this delusional.
>>
Holy shit, all this gen7 damage control.

Sun/Moon post game
-Battle Tree (Battle Maison)
-Ultra Beasts
-Tapu Dapus
-Zygarde boogers

Don't know why people are mentioning the other half of poni island because that just leads to the battle maison.

BW2
-Challenge mode
-Colress battle
-Significant trainer fights (N.)
-Elite 4 refights (up to lvl83)
-a National Pokedex
-Shit ton of legendaries to catch
-N's Pokemon
-Elite Rank in battle institute
-14 World Tournaments
-Battle Subway
-Join Avenue
Benga in black city
-Funfest missions

Gee, I wonder who had the better post game.
>>
>>30560885
Then why haven't singles been removed yet?
>>30560957
>and they were never even talked about until they were removed
That's because people were busy playing them.
>>
>>30560995
Zygarde isn't even postgame really. You just can't fInish it until then.
>>
>>30560995
>separating Colress, N, and Benga when they're all "significant trainer fights"
>funfest was boring as shit and nobody did it
>Battle Subway and World Tournament are the same thing but the latter has recycled sprites
>SM also has Elite 4 refights
>Challenge mode had retarded requirements that forced you to restart your game file
>SM has more legos to catch than BW2
Nice try
>>
>>30560999
So nobody plays singles or doubles?
>>
>>30560995
Zygarde is post game?
>>
>>30561061
PWT = Subway
What?
>>
>>30561061
>SM has more legos to catch than BW2
>Battle subway and world tournament are the same thing

Fucking LOL. The E4 only goes up by 10 levels. It's worthless compared to BW2 where they had actual items and levels.
>>
>>30561103
Do your pokemon gain experience from it?
>>
>>30561061
>>Battle Subway and World Tournament are the same

>one has you beat 7 trainers in a row to progress
>the other has different game modes such as rentals, mix, type master

Basically one was the tower and the other was the gen 4 frontier.
>>
>no national dex
>half of the mega stones not in the game
>shit join avenue knockoff with none of the good stuff from join avenue
Fucking why
>>
>>30561122
The Battle Frontier was always just 5-7 Towers with gimmicks
>>
>>30561145
Is this seriously how far Alolasomes are willing to go?
>>
>>30561113
>moving the goalposts

UBs are legends by the way
>>
>>30561117
Using the same restriction doesn't make them the same.
>>
>>30561117
Have you actually played in the pwt?
It was more than just legacy trainers. Unfortunately the same can't be said for the Battle Tree.
>>
>>30561178
>Battle Tower
>Battle Tower but with shitty rentals
>Battle Tower but in a maze
>Battle Tower with a pick your own room
>Battle Tower but with a pick 2
>Battle Tower but with three turns
>Battle Tower but you do literally do nothing
>>
>>30561197
He isn't.
SM literally has less to find.
>>
How awesome every gen was at the time of its release:

2>1>3>7>4>6>5

How good the game play was at time of release:

3>4>2>1>5>7>6

Objective order of best gens:

2>1>4>3>7>5>6
>>
>>30561251
What does battle tower mean in your mind?
Because I'm sure you've never touched any of these facilities.
>>
>>30561266
>SM doesn't have E4 rematches
>SM E4 rematches don't have high enough levels so it doesn't count!
that's the definition of moving the goalposts
>>
>>30561281
shit taste
>>
>>30561299
Battling trainers with all pokemon at a preset level without gaining experience until you lose

And I've played Emerald, Platinum and HGSS
>>
>>30556595
VI still has better QOL shit compared to VII, blissey bases, reset bags, PSS/o-powers, hordes, etc.

VII has better plot, difficulty, and progression by comparison but lacks everywhere else by removing about 80% of the former in lieu of questionable game design choices like an unintuitive bottom screen as well as festival plaza
>>
>>30561326
Hordes were a shit mechanic and SOS chaining is faster

O-Powers were literally cheats and have no place in the game.
>>
>>30561300
He's referring to the fact that only the level changes idiot. Every other game with rematches changed the teams BW2 even went as far to give them items
>>
>>30561281
>gen 1 and 2 best
enjoy your shitmons
>>
If sun and moon had a post game, then I would be doing something other than the type match up quiz. I hate gamefreak so much.
>>
>>30561376
>they're not rematches because they don't fulfill my specific conditions
still moving the goalposts, SM has E4 rematches
>>
>>30561377
le dank meme faec
>>
>>30561368
>SOS chaining is faster
Except that the RNG makes it extremely slow and tedious.
If orbs were a certainty then it would be about the same.
>>
>>30561391
A rematch would be if they actually improved and they clearly don't. After beating them the first time you can go back in the second time and clear them out no problem.
>>
>>30561391
You mean the conditions that make a rematch a rematch.
Find any other game that didn't change the team.
>>
>>30561411
chaining shitmons almost guarantees a consistent chain

>>30561428
>>30561447
Their levels improve and their movesets improve
>it's not a rematch unless they fulfill my specific conditions
>>
>>30561472
>almost
Key words.

If it isn't a certainty then it's going to be slower than something that is. Not to mention actually waiting for the money to appear is longer than using sweet scent and going into battle
>>
>>30561472
Anon, they don't improve. They're still shit lol.
>>
>>30560995
>comparing first game of Gen 7 with sequel game of Gen 5
Wow, really makes you think
>>
>>30561516
>they don't improve because I don't like it
>lol
>>>r/pokemon
>>
>>30561472
>Their levels improve and their movesets improve
So it's not a rematch by definition.
They still use the same terrible teams instead of something better like every other game.

You also haven't listed any games that do the same for rematches.
>>
>>30556973
I only played b2/w2 because /vp/ was so defensive of it. I didn't think it was the best but way better than b/w, which I still think are the worst.
>>
>>30561545
You do realise it was the alolasome that first made the comparison right? Read the thread before you make an input.
>>
V>IV>III=VII>II>1=VI
>>
>>30561545
These are probably it considering X/Y never got an improved game either. If GF wants to make a statement by releasing one quality game per gen, then I'll compare to the best.
>>
>>30561558
Unless you're fighting the exact same pokemon then it's a rematch

Since they have higher levels and better movesets, then it's a rematch.
>>
>>30556973
>Platinum and HG/SS still hold the top of the 2D Pokemon games ranking.
Top doesn't mean worst anon.
>>
>>30560336
I'm a cranky older gamer and I have very little tolerance for cut scenes hi-jacking my gameplay experience, and this game was pretty fucking egregious. Along with the waypoints on the map, it ruins any actual sense of progression or accomplishment. Made the game extremely forgettable. Unless you're actually into the shitty, overbearing, anime-tier plots that Nintendo has been cramming into these games as of late, then you might actually like it and use some buzzword like "comfy" or "feels" to later describe why you tolerated it.
>>
Objective truth coming through
5>7>2>4>6>1>3
7 will probably surpass 5 when stars comes out sun and moon are significantly better than black/white 1 still not as good as bw 2 tho
>>
>>30561620
>Unless you're fighting the exact same pokemon then it's a rematch
Good to know you don't consider them remakes because that's what's happening in SM. You still haven't found any other game yet.
>>
>>30561651
Since they have different levels and movesets, they are not the exact same pokemon.

Nice try though
>>
>>30561597
And you ate the bait, then proceed to write wall of texts about how butthurt you were. Congrats, (You)novabortions.
>>
>>30561630
>that Nintendo
Game Freak. Nintendo games rarely have intrusive stories.
>>
>>30561683
Is this a double bait or something?
>>
>>30557408
>Diamond and Pearl were far worse than X/Y
But XY had every problem DP had and more.
>>
>>30556595
II > VII > III > V > IV > I > VI

I hate BW but I absolutely love BW2, so V is about middle ground for me.

I couldn't be bothered to finish BW for the longest time, and they almost put me off of pokemon for good.
>>
>>30561754
>killing a Blissey takes thirty minutes
>>
>>30561754
Other way around. DP actively removed mechanics and QoL features.
>>
>>30561604
>If GF wants to make a statement by releasing one quality game per gen, then I'll compare to the best.
Not really the case. It's just that developing 3D game took more efforts, funds, and time than 2D game. While half of the work also involved rebalancing the meta for 5-6 Generations of virtual monsters with every new game.
>>
>>30556645
I give you DP, but Platinum, never.
>>
>>30561789
>A horde battle takes an hour
>>
>>30561808
Like what? The Meme Frontier that people already discount as battle tower clones?

Your next words will be >muh framerate
>>
>>30561849
>It's just that developing 3D game took more efforts, funds, and time than 2D game.
That only covers the initial transition you know. Once the major work is done then 3D is significantly quicker and easier than 2D.
>>
>>30556595
V > II > IV > VI > I > III > VII
Not really sure what people love so much about SM. I found it to be a real slog, and for every thing they improved, they ruined two more. I would lovingly take HMs back if it meant no more cutscenes/handholding
>>
>>30561904
>that people already discount as battle tower clones?
You mean you.

Also the framerate is the least of the problems. Especially since they gutted any additional content shared by gen 3 and 4.

Oh and they gave Hippopotas an absurdly low encounter rate. Unless of course you capture different types of Unown.
>>
>>30561942
If you hate cutscenes then you must hate Gen 5
>>
>>30560995
>post game is most important
The people with this mentality never stop from amazing me.
>>
>>30561997
It had a lot, but I didn't find them nearly as invasive. They were mostly cluttered together whenever the story became relevant. For the most part, you were allowed to do shit on your own. Meanwhile, in SM, every fucking route begins and ends with a waypoint and a cutscene. And someone who heals your Pokemon in between.
>>
>>30561997
SM makes Gen 5 look like nothing when it comes to cut scenes.
People liked to exaggerate with 5 and say they were around every corner but in 7 they are literally around every corner.
>>
>>30562034
Meanwhile every cave and forest in Gen 5 had a nurse who'd heal your pokemon for free

Gen 5 has the exact same problems that Gen 7 has, but Unovabortions are a majority here and thus conveniently ignore that. It was also even more linear than Gen 7
>>
>>30561849
If people can make the game less shit with a romhack in a week, then gamefreak can do it on release day. No excuses.
>>
File: 3274.jpg (49KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
3274.jpg
49KB, 500x378px
>b-but B/W let you go where you want!
>>
>>30562033
It's not a mentality, it's a preference. People play these games for completely different reasons. You will find people who play mostly for competitive, mostly for campaign mode, and mostly for the in-game challenges. That is why nobody on /vp/ can ever agree on which is best gen, because no one gen excels in all three categories.
>>
>>30562033
No one but you said that it was the most important aspect. That said it's better to have good and expansive postgame to promote replayability than to have a mediocre main game and barebones post game.
>>
>>30561970
>they gutted any additional content shared by gen 3 and 4
Are you retarded? Also Pokémon that take forever to find have always been in Pokémon games lad, now you're just reaching.

>Catching Unown
>Hard
Use Hypnosis, throw an Ultra Ball. It's a guaranteed catch.
>>
>>30562058
>It was also even more linear than Gen 7
>more linear than a game that gives you waypoints you have to go to to progress the plot
kek
>>
>>30562033
post game is pretty important if you want people to keep playing your game once the main story is finished. Festival plaza is shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
>>
>>30556595
The XY pokes were all right, but the story and the gameplay were shit-tier. You got everything handed to you on a silver platter. Hey random stranger, I just happened to conveniently pass RIGHT FUCKING NEXT TO THE FIRST AREA that you need to surf, here's a Lapras for nothing. Lati@s in ORAS anyone? Not to mention that the games were obviously rushed and all the box legendaries ever amounted to was becoming a random, almost loreless addition to the pre-boss cutscene.

On the flip side, S/M's new solutions were pretty cool - yes, boring 8-badge formula, I'm looking at you - but, on the other hand, the game areas were plain fucking immemorable. I beat the game in 3 days, without rushing shit at all, and I'm not able to name more than 5 locations off the top of my head. The excessive amount of cutscenes is indeed pretty bad, but not something that would make me rip my hair out in frustration. I really disliked the tourist-ey vibe of the Island Challenge, but, on the other hand, I totally loved the games' sudden turn for the edge that manifested itself in the creepier dex descriptions and mirroring the spooky vibe of Colosseum. The cutscene at the Aether foundation with the Pikachu serenely floating comatose in the Ice Beam has to be one of my favorites moments in Pokemon as a whole
>>
Yes

4 > 5 > 7 > 3 > 6 > (2 > 1) *
*get the BOTD for hardware limitations and having good remakes
>>
>>30562058
>Meanwhile every cave and forest in Gen 5 had a nurse who'd heal your pokemon for free
You mean like how someone would heal your mon at every moment and there was always a pokemon center in SM?

Seriously BW had people healing you but they were literally optional. SM just gives it to you sometimes without telling you.
>>
>>30562116
All of the games have waypoints, Gen 7 just made them visible.

>Wow, I sure am thirsty! The road's closed btw :^)
>>
>>30560837
>battle tower
So? It's still the only game not featuring the Frontier that has two battle facilities.
>battle tower
Black Tower/White Treehollow isn't a fucking battle facility, dude. You can only do it once and the trainers give EXP and money.
>SM has this too
But most of them are behind an E4 run every time and have almost no story relevance.
>SM has even more
Catching multiples of one mon doesn't really make it more.
>SM has you visit parts of Poni Island that had previously been blocked off
One route, one cave and the Battle Tree. Come on dude, it's nowhere near the amount of shit that opens up post-game in BW2.
>>
>>30562141
>moving the goalposts
>>
>>30561914
Nah. Drawing sprite animation is way quicker than reanimating model to make them flashier than traditional japanese sprite. Also 3D game would mean another struggle to make use of the models more in plot scene, whereas in 2D game simple sprite movement and default hovering camera shot is much easier, especially for devs that has been developing 2D for more than 5 years.
>>
>>30562074
One, that's BW2
Two that's literally in the end parts of the game.
Three it's evidence you can in fact go anywhere.
>>
>>30562141
In every scenario I could walk back to a Pokemon center easily. It does not make the game easier, it just cuts down on wasted time.
>>
File: 1479071839937.png (487KB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
1479071839937.png
487KB, 854x480px
fucking hell I like Gen 5 too but how did a thread about Gen 6 turn into a bunch of Unovafags relentlessly sucking BW/BW2's cock?
>>
>>30562108
What do you think I mean by additional content anon?

Also you need to catch the separate forms and the balls aren't available at that point at the game. Not to mention that there's no way to track which forms you already have.
>>
File: rooF8PC.png (100KB, 327x245px) Image search: [Google]
rooF8PC.png
100KB, 327x245px
>>30562150
>Hau, Kukui, Hapu, trial captains and Plumeria have no story relevance

>>30562175
>it's BW2
you mean the game that everyone on /vp/ creams themselves over? Even better?
>that's literally in the end parts of the game
you say this like it's the only roadblock in the game
>it's evidence that you can in fact go anywhere
What the fuck did he mean by this? Are Unovabortions seriously this deluded?
>>
>>30562187
Unovabortions are the niggers of /vp/
>>
>>30562185
And how does that justify SM?
How does that even affect the argument?
>>
>>30562252
>>30562240
Where's my post game
>>
>>30562187
That's every thread
>>
>>30562187
Because an alolasome decided to bring BW into the mix.
Then people corrected him and shitposting ensued from Sinnohfetuses and alolasomes.
>>
>>30562187
When something relatively good got popular, it's bound to become rotten fast as the insecure wannabe elitists and normies flocked onto it for the that superficial internet creds.
>>
>>30562330
No it was a Unovabortion whining about 5 even though nobody was talking about it: >>30557606
>>
>A gen7 babby throws a tantrum saying there's more post game than BW

>Anon corrects him

>Hurr why are there so many unova dick riders

D a m a g e C o n t r o l
a
m
a
g
e

C
o
n
t
r
o
l
>>
>>30562240
>you mean the game that everyone on /vp/ creams themselves over? Even better?
If you're going to make a point at least use the game you're talking about.

>you say this like it's the only roadblock in the game
For the most part it is. Unless you want to cherrypick without context in your next post again.

>What the fuck did he mean by this? Are Unovabortions seriously this deluded?
You do realise where that block is right? There's quite a large area to explore before you reach that point that isn't related to the story at all.
>>
>>30562382
see>>30562359
>>
File: 6fQOYRn.png (137KB, 1307x245px) Image search: [Google]
6fQOYRn.png
137KB, 1307x245px
>>30562391
>b-but BW2 only has one roadblock!
>you can LITERALLY go wherever you want whenever you want!
>>
Unova's linear routes never bothered me. New Unova fixed a lot of that straight linearity issue by creating new shortcuts and branching pathways to new areas.

That said, Unova's pacing was much more balanced than Kalos.
>>
>>30562359
Yeah sure>>30557498
>>30556973
Both before the one you posted.

Better luck next time
>>
>>30562409
Read the thread

>>30560652
>>
>>30562382
Not really, the actual opposite actually happened.
>>30556933
>>
>>30562440
That post came later than >>30557606 you stupid fucking mron
>>
>>30562479
See >>30562437
Dumbass
>>
this thread makes me ashamed to be a Gen 5 fan
>>
>>30562479
Stop being a literal retard. Anon made their statement and got corrected now you're throwing a tantrum over it because it's true. Thinking SM has more post game than BW2 is retarded.
>>
>>30562517
Why?
>>
>>30562527
>trying to argue that SM doesn't have E4 rematches
>corrected
ok
>>
>>30562527
gen 5 post game

>go catch these handful of legendaries
>go battle these handful of NPC trainers
>go do these handful of short sidequests
>go do this battle facility

it has no more or less post game than any pokemon game past gen 3, XY is an exception for having almost on post game though
>>
>>30562550
Now we know who the ass pained nuthugger is. I bet you think X/Y had rematches too :^)
>>
>>30562584
But they didn't
>>
>>30562440
>unovabortion got triggered by 6 words bait when there are numerous reasonable posts mentioning complete opposite of it
Worse than neo-jojofags
>>
>>30562584
XY literally didn't

SM literally does

you're just being stupid at this point
>>
>>30562572
>Go get 8 badges
>Beat the bad team
>become the champion

The first 6 gens are obviously the same and gen 7 was the first one to step out of its comfort zone to do something different. It clearly has more content than any other generation.
>>
>>30562572
Even simplyfiying things like that BW2 still has more post game than other games.
>>
>>30562607
Their teams don't change and they don't go up all that much in level. It's pretty much exactly the same as your first time around.

So it might as well be fucking nothing.
>>
>>30562607
>SM literally does
That's like saying XY did because of the Chateau.
>>
>>30562594
>>30562607
Neither does S/M. They don't come at you with anything new at all. It's the same thing.
>>
>>30562624
You can simplify it or go into extreme detail. All pokemon post games since Gen 4 have been relatively the same and it's stupid as hell to argue about it.
>>
>>30562671
Is a level 55 Dragonite the same as a level 70 Dragonite?
>>
>>30562619
Except for the part where there's less to do in trials than gyms.
>>
>>30562671
Kek
Try harder
>>
>>30562658
>pretty much
>literally admitting that it's different
wew
>>
>>30562665
but according to >>30562658 that doesn't count since the levels are actually LOWER :^)
>>
>>30562675
The difference is I have nearly 100 hours of playtime on White 2 and less than half that on Sun.

And I accumulated this playtime just by seeing what the game had to offer, not doing shit like Wi-Fi battles.

So yes, they've been relatively similar, but at the end of the day, some games in the series have more content than others, and it's also stupid as hell to argue that.
>>
>>30562671
>it's the same thing
>except it isn't

retard
>>
>>30562675
Except for the part where that's objectively wrong. Even if it's just white treehollow it's significantly different from prior games.
>>
>>30562742
Cool. I dropped BW2 after putting 30 hours into it. I'm at about 90 hours in SM.

Oh wait you don't care? Yeah no shit. No one cares about your personal experience with the games.
>>
>>30562713
Writs say hi.
>>
>>30562697
lvl55 dragonite with inner focus and shit moves

lvl70 dragonite with multiscale and a yache berry and proper moves
>>
>>30560837
This. Gen 5 is literally a meme.
>>
>>30562794
>higher level with proper moves
so level and moveset do matter then?
>>
Why does every genwar thread turn into unovabortions going into defense mode?
>>
Gen4 has the most post game because in HG/SS you have all of Kanto to do. Dunno why people think BW2 or SM has the most.
>>
>>30562812
What do you expect when no one played BW2? You have to correct people on it so they can form an unbiased argument.

Better question is, why is SM exempt from any and all criticism just because it's new?
>>
>>30562840
I guess they don't count Kanto as post game.
>>
>>30562812
Because newfags think they can fit in if they do
>>
File: Capture.png (15KB, 638x136px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
15KB, 638x136px
>>30562840
>kanto
>post game

more like last 1/3rd of the game
>>
>>30562812
You're in defense mode anon.
>>
>>30562840
That's if you consider Kanto post-game. I don't. I've blown through the Johto part of the game in 12 hours without even rushing all that much.

It's more like the second half of the campaign imo.
>>
>>30562877
>>30562857
>triggered
>>
>>30562840
>all of Kanto to do.
So rematches and...
That's about it actually.
>>
>>30562857
>>30562877
>proving him right
>>
>>30562891
Don't avoid the question.
Why is it exempt from criticism?
>>
>>30562879
Johto is its own region and once you complete that, then you have Kanto again 2yrs later or some shit. johto stands pretty good on its own for a region and it would be foolish to think kanto wasn't post game.
>>
>>30562916
It's not and your criticism isn't except from criticism either.

Go back to plebbit if you want a safe space.
>>
>>30562879
You not considering it postgame doesn't mean it isn't. Kanto happens after the credits, so it counts as postgame whether you like it or not.
>>
>>30562916
>deflecting to SM
>b-but YOU'RE deflecting!
We're talking about Unova like you wanted, Unovabortion, not SM
Why is BW2 exempt from criticism?
>>
Gen IV is the worst. No question in my mind. Besides the terrible Pokedex and move selection, its just a mess. DP is obviously bad. Despite the good Plat and HGSS did, they still have a major flaw: Battle speed. Animations that take forever. Text that takes forever. The crawling HP bar. It's honestly hard to play them, even compared to the first three gens, who are much better about it. The engine for the entire game was just so slow. It made it very difficult to enjoy for a long period of time. For the story? It's fine. But anything longer than that, especially WiFi battles.

Because the core of the game plays so shitty, it's last. SM may have issues with frame rate, but at least the battles still go fast.
>>
>>30562936
you can literally beat Johto's league with a team of level 40's

kanto is not post game
>>
>>30562943
The credits roll in the Kanto half of the game too which instantly disqualifies this metric.

The conclusion of the game is beating Red in a battle and sending him home, not a second sooner.
>>
>>30562972
Woah, you're right! I guess that means I can finish all of B2W2's postgame, and then challenge the elite four, and all of that doesn't count anymore! I mean, the credits do roll again, so that means it's disqualified too :^)
>>
>>30562916
Comparing sequel with first game is retarded. Whoever took this whole scene seriously need to reflect on their life decision, be it Unovafags or Alolafags.
>>
>>30560701
I started with GSC and i'm 24
Fucking Hoennbabbies I swear, right on the underage b8 cutoff.
>>
>>30562970
>>30562972
Since when do levels matter when it comes to beating the game? You get the credits after you beat johto and you're the champion. You did everything, 8 badges, rockets, etc. Red is a post game fight.
>>
>>30562945
>like you wanted,
Sorry there kiddo but if you didn't want to talk about BW2 you shouldn't have made the initial comparison.
In any case you still haven't said why it's exempt.

As for BW2 no one has given anything valid outside of the linearity which no one has contested. Hell there's even someone that's saying the PWT is just a variation on the tower and the same goes for Black Tower and White Tree hollow.

Understand? Basing your criticisms on pure ignorance does you no favours. Nor does sticking your fingers in your ears and refusing to listen.
>>
>>30563118
>a circle isn't linear because circles don't have edges you retard!

PWT is essentially a battle tower
>>
>>30562945
Anon, the initial point that started this mess was about SM.
It's not so much deflecting as it is putting things back on track.
>>
>>30563118
>>30562945
The conversation shifted to BW2, nobody said that SM were exempt from criticism, only butthurt unovabortions angry that their favorite game is being criticized
>>
I didn't know people were that passionate about the festival plaza.
>>
>>30562970
If the level at which you battle the E4 is what determines a good game, then I guess Kalos was the best region :^)
End of discussion, every other region BTFO
>>
ok what the FUCK is with this gen 6 is bad meme?
>>
>>30563141
>>a circle isn't linear because circles don't have edges you retard!
Uh what?
Did you just skim over thread without reading it?
That entire part was about how circles aren't inherently linear. In fact the only one that did such a deflection was an anti gen 5 poster.

>PWT is essentially a battle tower
Only in the sense that you don't earn EXP and can get BP. That's where the similarities end. I'm pretty sure someone already mentioned the difference in progression as well as the different game modes.

>>30563199
>nobody said that SM were exempt from criticism
Except for everyone in this thread that's defending the flaws of SM by deflecting to gen 5.
Can't even mention the abundance of cutscenes in gen 7 without sone one going "but BW!". With that said this portion of the thread was started by someone saying that SM had more content than BW2, being corrected on it and then going off on one defending SM.
>>
>>30563377
>circles aren't inherently linear
When the map is a circle then yes it is
>battle a progression of trainers until the final one
How is that different from the Battle Tower?
>>
I don't know what's the fuss about. Hoenn has objectively more content than BW2 though, or any Gen for that matter.
>>
>>30563491
Yeah, hoenn was pretty solid.
>>
>it's another Unovafag autism thread
>>
File: damage control.png (55KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
damage control.png
55KB, 480x480px
>>30563470
Unable to defend the meme, unovabortion resorted to meme post
>>
>>30562967
POKEMON
THAT
FOLLOW
YOU
AROUND

;_______;
>>
>>30561630
I'm a happy older gamer and I vastly enjoyed the amount of cutscenes and attempt to make Pokemon feel less like "RPG Lite" and more like an actual RPG with an actual plot, characters and story. It really helps to flesh out the world and characters and improve on the atmosphere of the game while making you feel as though you've achieved something in your endeavors while journeying with your friends and defeating enemies, whilst giving you a purpose for your actions and making it matter. The game was very memorable because of these moments and though the story was pretty light and the characters simple it left a good feeling in the heart. Unless you're one of those faggots who play RPGs for the gameplay and for some reason treat Pokemon's gameplay as something better or other than babby's first, easy, monster collecting RPG where only it matters then you might actually dislike the game.
>>
>>30563482
>When the map is a circle then yes it is
No.
If the game allows for additional content such as side quests, exploration adso on within the circle its not a totally linear game.
>>battle a progression of trainers until the final one
>How is that different from the Battle Tower?
At least quote my text properly.

Its the difference I'm progression not the fact you battle trainers in a row.
Anyway
1) the tournament elimination style of progression rather than just a gauntlet of trainers like the usual tower.
2) the additional game modes. While the tower and clones only have one mode of battle the PWT has different modes like type master where you pick a specific type to battle against, rentals obvious to anyone who's played gen 3 and 4 and mix which is a mode where you swap a pokemon with your opponent.
>>
>>30563899
>but it's a tournament!
The trainers you battle still form a gauntlet in practice
>>
>>30563674
>editing html
>>
>>30560336
The cutscenes are really obnoxious on the first island but after that, they ease back.

Frankly I was more annoyed that after the solid Champion fight you get nothing but garbage 5 pokemon challengers at the league. Totally botched opportunity and the shittiest league for level/money grinding.
>>
>>30563794
>attempt to make Pokemon feel less like "RPG Lite"
It still feels like that. Even more so in this gen because of the emphasis on story and character.
Not to mention the design of the region itself which was less a pokemon game and more a generic 3D RPG.

Basically it changed the wrong elements if it wanted to leave the RPG lite area. It felt more like I was playing a post 7 FF game with all of the mechanics ripped out than anything else.

Seasoned older gamer that specialises in RPGs here.
>>
I never understood this tendency to group things by generations as a single generation (starting from III if not II) is made up of previous and therefore multiple generations.
>>
>>30563929
>The trainers you battle still form a gauntlet in practice
Even if it were just that it would still be a fairly large difference from the regular tower especially in recent games were the tower clones use more of a streak system instead of ending it at seven.
Also you don't know what a gauntlet is.
>>
>>30564133
Anon, generations are determined by mechanics.

FRLG has the mechanics of a gen 3 game
HGSS is 4
ORAS is 6

Does that clear things up?
>>
>>30564133
Gen V was literally BW and B2W2.
>>
>>30562544
Because he was never a gen 5 fan to begin with but is falseflagging in order to discredit them?
>>
>>30564218
For you, sure. But people are definitely arguing over other things.
>>
>>30564234
Pretty much yeah
>>
>>30564220
Huh. I never noticed that. Okay then, I guess it makes sense for GenV to be a separate thing by itself, even though people seem to refer to B2W2 rather than BW.
>>
>>30564218
In that case Gen 4 is the best. Platinum and HG/SS are too good.
>>
>>30564266
Its the same way people usually refer to Emerald and Plat but not RS and DP.
They're the definitive games in their gens and like this anon says>>30564218 they're separated by mechanics.
>>
>>30564218
I feel like if the main games of a generation (PPt, here's to you) are shit, than the generation itself should be called shit.

ORAS isn't enough to redeem XY.
>>
>>30564334
Then you're jus disregarding at least half of the gen each time.
And in the case of Gen 5, both were the main game due to the fact they're sequels. What then?
>>
>>30562812
Because only the champion has to defend his title.
>>
>>30564398
GenV is special because it doesn't have a spinoff game. It's like how GenIII can be Emerald but not FRLG.
>>
>>30564448
You do realise that the remakes aren't spin offs right?
>>
>>30564448
>FRLG
>not gen 3
The fuck am I reading?
>>
>>30563261
Wow, a literal Kalos apologist. How is /r/pokemon these days? le reddit has orchestrated yet another epick raid on /vp/ amirtie? xD
>>
>>30564703
Reddit is more filled with Alola apologists now.
Get with the times.
>>
>>30563491
>>30563563

By Hoenn you mean Emerald, right? Even gen 3 cut a lot of content that was in gen 2.
>>
>>30564701
>gen 3
>FRLG
This is what I'm saying. Why bunch RSE with FRLG? Or DPPt with HGSS? Getting a remake right is easier as it's a remake.
>>
>>30564726
SM > BW > XY
>>
>>30564802
BW2 > SM > BW > XY
Thread posts: 420
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.