[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you had to seperate pokemon from "old era" to "new

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: 351-castform.png (70KB, 249x237px) Image search: [Google]
351-castform.png
70KB, 249x237px
If you had to seperate pokemon from "old era" to "new era," where would you draw the line?

I'm tempted to say I-III is old and IV+ is new, though I may be biased because I-III was the GBA/SP games.
>>
>>30542108
I think old era ends with 5 because it was the last game in the original timeline.
>>
Gen 4 on is new.
>>
>>30542108
If it has a remake, it's old. If it doesn't, it's new.
>>
Physical/Special split. That's what changed the series.

You're welcome, OP.
>>
>>30542185
I agree. Sprite vs models, too - though it's hard to believe gen 4 is 3D, it still looks like sprite overworlds.
>>
>>30542108
I think Gen 1-4 is old. They have lots of interaction dex-wise, what with all the cross-evos, not to mention they're basically pokeJapan. Though I'd argue things got more distinct with 6 and customization and 3d.
>>
I'd one up you and say there's 3 eras/ages. The first era is Gen I-II. These two generations were designed to be very similar. And it worked. These Pokémon genuinely feel like part of the continuity.

Era II starts with Gen III up to Gen VI. This era is focused on exploration and trying to incorporate many things as Pokémon. But of course this is where they start to lose flavor.

The most recent and third era starts with Gen VII. These new Pokémon are unique, but memorable. They all have something that makes them distinctly resonant compared to Pokémon from the second era. In a way, it's a figurative revival.
>>
Gen V felt like a soft reboot to me.
>>
>I & II
>GBA
no

and SP = GBA
>>
>Era 1
I & II

>Era 2
III, IV

>Era 3
V, VI, VII
>>
>>30543647
because they're sprites

DPPt, HGSS, BW, and B2W2 are pseudo-3D, not 3D
>>
>>30542108
I still consider gen 3 modern. I don't have a grip around time tho
>>
>>30542108
1-4 is old, 5 is shit, 6-7 is new
>>
The shit era
1, 2
The golden age
3, 4, 5
The new shit era
6, 7
>>
>>30542185
but physical and special moves have always been a thing

the GBA era is what separates classic Pokémon from modern Pokémon
>>
>>30543920
>but physical and special moves have always been a thing
That's not what Physical/Special split refers to.
>>
>>30542108
>thinkin of castform smacking his massive balls on your face
>>
1st era is 1-2
2nd era is 3-5
3rd era is 6-present
>>
I and II are obviously their own era. That was back when Tajiri still had direct involvement with the series, and II is a direct sequel to I.

III is when the series started to go in a slightly different direction, and Masuda took over as the main director. I'd say III, IV and V are their own era.

III is old enough that it could feel like it belongs with I and II, but I'd say II to III had one of the biggest style shifts, so I disagree with that. V can feel like its own thing, because BW was so disconnected from earlier games, and had a noticeable style shift. But B2W2 having so much from earlier, especially the PWT, that it makes a good cap to that "era".

Gen VI and VII are kind of weird. VI feels like an awkward transitional period. It tried to feel new, with stuff 3D models and megas and being the first for the 3DS, but it also tried to be familiar, with all the Gen I pandering and references to old games. Masuda was still the director of XY, but he was probably already getting ready to step down, since Ohmori directed ORAS. And overall, XY and ORAS felt rushed and incomplete.

Gen VII feels way more new and different from previous games, and Masuda has fully stepped down as the main director. Though it's still building on stuff from Gen VI, which helped make the games relatively more complete from the start. The fact that it also still has a lot of references to Gen I and it coming out on the series' 20th anniversary means it could feel like the end of an era, or the beginning of one, depending on what the next game and Gen VIII do.
>>
IV onwards is where I start forgetting names. I can easily name I-III mons.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.